• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

lyan

LOL at this "western site". Do Gaf support rebel now as long as they against the one who have a different ideology from you guys?
Do you all watch how all that "protester" destroying all public facility without repercussion at all?
That guys is criminal at best and terrorist at worst and everyone who publicly support that kind of behaviour is deserve the ban.
Do not like how your local government operate? go into politics or GTFO to another, not like this.
Democracy , freedom and free speech my ass
43525db6-9e45-11e9-baa5-dd214ed0de8f_image_hires_003205.jpg

They had attempted to go into politics but the cowardice government denied their right to participate in elections FYI.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore what's your take on this whole debacle anyway?

On a business level, this is a terrible PR blunder. It's getting mainstream coverage and being lumped in with the NBA controversy--definitely not the place to be. Gamers aren't stupid, either, but Blizzard is treating us that way. They're losing serious good will, and that's compounding with their existing problems in recent times.

On a moral level, pandering to oppressive, authoritarian Chinese interests at the direct expense of their loyal users and employees, and undermining the HK freedom protests and western liberty generally, are major failures.

We may expect large corporations to act coldheartedly to chase the profit dragon at the expense of the human element, but in this instance Blizzard looks both incompetent and immoral.

Caffeine

they go toward profit, but china is only like 5% of the 13% asia profit. They are not high value consumers clearly. while in america u got a dude who will spend like its nothing. they are giving up high value consumers, to pursue a large population of low value consumers? but not everyone in that population has expendable funds and probably live check to check just to get by. let alone piracy and counterfeit market is pretty big in china. or even cheating progression.

they go toward profit, but china is only like 5% of the 13% asia profit. They are not high value consumers clearly. while in america u got a dude who will spend like its nothing. they are giving up high value consumers, to pursue a large population of low value consumers? but not everyone in that population has expendable funds and probably live check to check just to get by. let alone piracy and counterfeit market is pretty big in china. or even cheating progression.

The mobile game market is what i imagine Blizzard-Activision would worried about losing. They have been shown a ton of interest in the mobile side of gaming recently and China has a billion dollar industry.

brap

Banned
LOL at this "western site". Do Gaf support rebel now as long as they against the one who have a different ideology from you guys?
Do you all watch how all that "protester" destroying all public facility without repercussion at all?
That guys is criminal at best and terrorist at worst and everyone who publicly support that kind of behaviour is deserve the ban.
Do not like how your local government operate? go into politics or GTFO to another, not like this.
Don't Like She Jinpeen see this
动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

v60fY9U.png

Don't Like She Jinpeen see this
动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

v60fY9U.png
My favourite shitpost of the week, right next to Matt's roasting of the 4 horsemen of the PoliticGAF.

Fuz

Banned

Fuz releases official statement on Blizzard's official statement.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Jeremy from TheQuartering donated $3000 to the ProtestBlizzcon GoFundMe. Regardless of your feelings on him, that's more than anything your average SJW on ResetEra or Twitter has done when it comes to putting their money where their mouth is on social issues.

guekfu3vdes31.jpg

Jaruru

Funny you don't post anything done by the Hong Kong police? let's see

Police let the triad to attack random passengers in subway station and ignored all the 911 calls, arrived to the station ONLY after 39 minutes while WALKING distance is 10 mins from police station

After a month, even worse, police went into another subway station and beat up all passengers regardlessly.

The last image, you think they're protesters? Nope, they're Hong Kong police dressed up like protesters who initiated chaos and ended up pointing guns at protesters. (Protesters never have any gun)

You care about the glass window, not human life and humanity?

There are much worse images out there... that's why so many USA senators voiced out FREE HONG KONG

qQwNoBl.jpg

ecDHMS0.jpg

ufQDbTs.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I love this post. High value consumers seem to not mean that much to Blizzard anymore.

Corrik

Please do explain, i doubt i'm the only inquiring mind. How does what the College team said fit in one set of rules but not the other?

Just so were clear, i'm of the mindset he got banned for saying something the Chinese found offensive. Chinese response:

EGpnITGUUAAV2RM.jpg

Very angered? We will respect and defend the pride of our country? This goes beyond not wanting a political statement on the platform.
That was written by NetEase and not Blizzard. They are a Chinese company that works with Blizzard.

On a business level, this is a terrible PR blunder. It's getting mainstream coverage and being lumped in with the NBA controversy--definitely not the place to be. Gamers aren't stupid, either, but Blizzard is treating us that way. They're losing serious good will, and that's compounding with their existing problems in recent times.

On a moral level, pandering to oppressive, authoritarian Chinese interests at the direct expense of their loyal users and employees, and undermining the HK freedom protests and western liberty generally, are major failures.

We may expect large corporations to act coldheartedly to chase the profit dragon at the expense of the human element, but in this instance Blizzard looks both incompetent and immoral.

Now the NBA is trying to outdo Blizzard by trying to get Daryl Morey fired.

Fuz

Banned
Mark my words. They're gonna announce something big this Blizzcon to quell the fire and bury the shitshow, and considering the Diablo mobile fiasco I bet they're gonna talk about Diablo 4.

EDIT: I'm curious to see what kind of security this Blizzcon will have. They risk fucking things up even more - much more - if they go with an heavy hand.

Their aim is the mobile market.

Yes leBron in this instance police brutality is ok!!
love to hear his stance on “black lives matter” without sounding like a total hypocrite..
Good thought. You should tweet him that.

Last edited:

Caffeine

Mark my words. They're gonna announce something big this Blizzcon to quell the fire and bury the shitshow, and considering the Diablo mobile fiasco I bet they're gonna talk about Diablo 4.

Their aim is the mobile market.

well I hope they enjoy the mobile market and all their future mobile releases.

Now everyone will know how to ruin Blizzard live events. What a disaster.
They have to do something for real. The issue is that even just ONE protester showing up, could ruin live broadcasts that are suppose to be able to be seen in China. They have only two choices, either do something that made everyone satisfied and the protesters protest elsewhere, or just segregate any broadcasts that are not intended for Chinese audiences. Both are difficult to implement.

Tumle

Don’t have Twitter.. 😊
also want to point out, this is a jab at LeBron not at black lives matter.. but it’s not the first time a NBA player has sucked up to a dictatorship :p

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Now the NBA is trying to outdo Blizzard by trying to get Daryl Morey fired.

Nobody was trying to get Moorey fired. Lebron was speaking about the potential danger that the General Manager put the players in, since they were in China at the moment. Lebron said it would have been best if Moorey had waited a week to send that tweet out.

Yes leBron in this instance police brutality is ok!!
love to hear his stance on “black lives matter” without sounding like a total hypocrite..

He wasn't saying police brutality is okay. He's saying Daryl put the players at risk by sending that tweet "WHILE" they were in China. That's all. And "THAT'S" what made the tweet uneducated. Moorey himself deleted the tweet and sorta apologized about it himself. He barely believed in his own tweet.

Last edited:

Tumle

Nobody was trying to get Moorey fired. Lebron was speaking about the potential danger that the General Manager put the players in, since they were in China at the moment. Lebron said it would have been best if Moorey had waited a week to send that tweet out.

He wasn't saying police brutality is okay. He's saying Daryl put the players at risk by sending that tweet "WHILE" they were in China. That's all. And "THAT'S" what made the tweet uneducated. Moorey himself deleted the tweet and sorta apologized about it himself. He barely believed in his own tweet.
I’m sure the players would have been ok.. but I understand it now.
that’s the problem with Twitter, if you don’t dig deeper. My bad :p
Him deleting his tweet I’m sure has more to do with what he has been told to do from the league (or what it’s called) same for the apology, than his initial thoughts on what’s going down in HK.
But that just speculation on my part, even though I think it’s a pretty good guess 😋

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Na fuck that. That doesn't square at all with how he called him not educated on the situation at hand. You are getting played. He said your comments LATER after he got flamed for his bullshit. I've also heard that players have allegedly complained that "had we done what the GM did we would have been severely punished", which is less about their safety and moreso bitching collectively that they don't have a freedom from direct punishments that could affect their playtime.

He's King Bitch.

Aww little baby you had a difficult week? The protestors and the people of Hong Kong surely sympathize with how "sympathize" your week was. They'll get to sympathizing with you after they've been beaten and shot at for requesting basic freedoms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom