• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

Caffeine

Maybe in the states they hold some value, I don't know.

EU though... they're only valid where the TOS/EULA rules overlap the specific country legislation. Otherwise it's toilet paper.
state and federal laws destroy a tos. especially if they operate an office in a state. tos only exists as a protection of liability for the company but that only extends so far. in certain circumstances cases could be made against them.

mortal

Gold Member
Here's a fun little thing on Github that people are using to track the recent Chinese government bootlickers, seems relevant to the thread.

Of course Nike are absolute hypocrites. Fucking clowns.

The next heartstone card to play
BOuhk9E.jpg

Here's a fun little thing on Github that people are using to track the recent Chinese government bootlickers, seems relevant to the thread.

These recent events have really been a revelation on how much influence China actually holds over western corporations. Its thoroughly disgusting how far they've managed to plant themselves.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
These recent events have really been a revelation on how much influence China actually holds over western corporations. Its thoroughly disgusting how far they've managed to plant themselves.
This has been known for awhile but has been consistently brushed off as alt right / conservative conspiracy nonsense. Ironically, I see a lot of Left wing pundits and commentors also pointing out China's behavior so it doesn't even make sense to brush this off as conspiracy.

The fact that you are seeing it in the news now should be evidence that China is getting weaker. What appears to be "China getting away with it so many times! We have to stop them!" is actually the mask slipping and China getting caught. These bans, their censorship, their creep into Western economies and markets, their strong-arming of weaker nations has been going on for awhile. They do this all the time.

This comes as China threatened the NBA for a tweet. A tweet! This isn't the rational behavior of a stable country. This is the sickly posturing of a dying regime, a dying ideology.

The company that took the opportunity to help Blitzchung recoup his losses has been hit by cyberattacks.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The company that took the opportunity to help Blitzchung recoup his losses has been hit by cyberattacks.

Gee, I wonder where it is coming from? :pie_thinking:

Virex

Banned
WIP List of Chinese shareholders on english-speaking companies
Tencent (Videogames):
  • Activision Blizzard: Warcraft, Starcraft, etc. (5%)
  • Epic Games: Fornite, Unreal Engine (40%)
  • Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs, etc. (5%)
  • Riot Games: League of Legends (100%)
  • Grinding Gear Games: Path of Exile (80%)
  • Paradox Interactive: Stellaris, Crusader Kings, etc. (5%)
  • Supercell/Glu Mobile: some mobile shit (84.3%/14%)
  • Funcom: Secret World, Conan, etc. (29%)
  • Bluehole: PlayerUnkown's Battlegrounds (11.5%)
Tencent (Technology):
  • Discord Inc.: Discord (150 USD million investment)
  • Snap Inc.: Snapchat (14%)
  • reddit (?)
  • Spotify: Spotify (7.5%)
NetEase
  • Bungie: Halo, Destiny, etc. (100 USD million investment)
Meitu / Perfect Online Holdings Limited
  • Digital Extremes: Warframe (18.3?% / 3%) | Caveat: the rest % is owned by Leyou Financial Holdings, a Hongkonger company.
Fukong Interactive Entertainment
  • Jagex: RuneScape (100%) (On sale?)
Sources

recursive

Going through twitter I saw this take

"Something something this has happened before so who cares. Something something you are a racist for saying China is the evil doing this. I'm going to bring up "orientalism" for no reason. Also vidya games and the military am I right?"

Who is this guy and why does his shitty take matter?

Blade2.0

I am anything but a blizzard fan and that sanction is seriously exxagerated. But why not just keep politics out of gaming tournaments. People folllw it for gaming and not to see what your political statement is.
Because freedom of speech is freedom of speech...or it isn't.

Thurible

Same goes for the likes of Disney. Their so called morals and principles come with a price tag.

Wait, is that actually the reason for the poster change? Also, is there some prejudice against people of african ethnicity or races in China?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wait, is that actually the reason for the poster change? Also, is there some prejudice against people of african ethnicity or races in China?

I don’t think you realize how culturally racist the Chinese are.

Whites and darker skinned are “ghosts” (bak gwai, gwailo, hak gwai, etc), even other East Asian ethnicities, not mainland China are looked down on.

Thurible

I don’t think you realize how culturally racist the Chinese are.

Whites and darker skinned are “ghosts” (bak gwai, gwailo, hak gwai, etc), even other East Asian ethnicities, not mainland China are looked down on.
I know that racism exists everywhere worldwide but I wasn't aware of China's role in it (specifically the who and to what extent). I assume it's not a mainstream or popular thing to hate on others though, correct? Like if they saw a white or a black person walking on the street the person wouldn't be called names or treated differently?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know that racism exists everywhere worldwide but I wasn't aware of China's role in it (specifically the who and to what extent). I assume it's not a mainstream or popular thing to hate on others though, correct? Like if they saw a white or a black person walking on the street the person wouldn't be called names or treated differently?

Thing is, unless you’re fluent in their dialect you won’t even know what they’re saying. Not to mention it’s culturally ingrained where they may not have what we describe as racial “hate” behind it, just superiority, they just repeat it because it’s what is culturally said, learned behavior. Like “hak gwai” which means “black ghost” is essentially the N word in Chinese. It’s just not a word you’re used to hearing, so it doesn’t have the same negative stigmatization attached to it.

I dated a girl for years that always corrected friends and parents who used it, and they tried to lie to people and say it was “a good thing to say”, when she knew the real meaning.

It’s definitely a supremacy issue among the elite class of China.

The end of the day is always the white devils fault. It’s easier that way I suppose, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom