• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard, NetEase Scrap Warcraft Mobile Game After Financing Dispute

Draugoth

Gold Member
From Bloomberg

1000x-1.jpg

Bloomberg: Blizzard and NetEase have cancelled a mobile World Of Warcraft spin-off game that's been in dev for 3+ years The game was a MMO RPG set in the same universe as WoW during a different time period NetEase has disbanded a dev team of 100 people:

Activision Blizzard Inc. and NetEase Inc. have torpedoed a World of Warcraft smartphone game that had been in development for three years, raising questions about one of the industry’s most lucrative business relationships.

NetEase has disbanded a team of more than 100 developers tasked with creating content for the title, only some of whom were offered internal transfers, people familiar with the matter said. The two companies disagreed over terms and ultimately called a halt to the project, which had been kept under wraps, a person familiar with the deal said, asking to not be identified discussing private information.

The decision casts uncertainty over Blizzard’s partnership with China’s No. 2 gaming giant, which affords the US studio a valuable window into the world’s biggest mobile market. Hangzhou-based NetEase publishes World of Warcraft and other Blizzard franchises in the country and is also a co-creator of the recently released Diablo Immortal, which is on track to become a commercial success despite criticism about its in-game purchases.

The now-canceled title, code-named Neptune, was envisioned as a massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the same universe as World of Warcraft. It wouldn’t be a direct translation of the popular online game but a spinoff, set during a different time period. A spokesperson for NetEase declined to comment. An Activision Blizzard spokesperson had no comment.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The truth is that Blizzard is probably banned for life in China due to the Winnie the Pooh joke on the Diablo social media page.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The truth is that Blizzard is probably banned for life in China due to the Winnie the Pooh joke on the Diablo social media page.
Mate.
NetEase launched Diablo Immortal like last week in China.

reksveks

Suspect/hope ManaByte was just saying a joke, down to #4 in the iphone charts and #3 in the ipad charts. Not sure how to quantify that though so ehh.

Damn, title suggests it's the Warcraft mobile game that got cancelled, and which I'm actually kinda looking forward to, but it's the World of Warcraft mobile spinoff that got cancelled. Whew.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
To be fair it was done silently, haha. I had no idea they even did it after everything.

I bet they were like, "Eh, Diablo Immortal makes enough, we're fine for awhile."
Silently?
They cant exactly post on Weibo now can they......that account is banned.
They could still do and did all the mobile platform advertising they were planning on doing.

MiguelItUp

Silently?
They cant exactly post on Weibo now can they......that account is banned.
They could still do and did all the mobile platform advertising they were planning on doing.
Well, silently for us not in China, haha. Clearly. I read nothing about it until you mentioned it, did a Google search, and saw this...

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/...-diablo-immortal-china-after-month-long-delay

I wouldn't have known otherwise, lol. Makes sense though considering the plans were already in motion before hand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom