• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Upcoming Survival Game Is Open-World FPS Multiplayer

Don Carlo

Via Source - Summary
  1. a new project in a new world
  2. moment-to-moment FPS gameplay experiences in the survival genre
  3. AAA survival game - NEW IP For PC/Console
  4. FPS content, gameplay, level design, and scenario design
  5. amazing FPS first open-world multiplayer spaces
  6. creating FPS mission experiences
  7. "A new world and a new journey await you. It is a world different from any other Blizzard has built"

Earlier today, we came across a couple of recent job listings from Blizzard Entertainment that suggest that the company’s soon-to-be-released unannounced survival game may be an open-world first-person shooter with online multiplayer features. One of the job listings on the company’s website is for the Senior FPS Mission Designer position at Blizzard Entertainment’s headquarters in Irvine, California, in the United States, the description for which reads, “We are looking for a Senior FPS Mission Designer who wants to make amazing moment-to-moment FPS gameplay experiences in the survival genre.”
Blizzard-Entertainment-Senior-FPS-Mission-Designer-Job.png

As obvious from the job title, the position is for the company’s unannounced survival game, which it mentions as, “We have a new AAA survival game in the works, set in a new IP for PC/Console. It’s going to be amazing, and we’d love to bring you along for the ride. Together, we’ll build something big, bold, and beautiful.” Hence, it’s clear that the unannounced survival game from Blizzard Entertainment is going to be a first-person shooter. “The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of FPS content, gameplay, level design, and scenario design,” the description continues.

However, this isn’t all, as the unannounced survival game may also be an open-world one, and multiplayer, at that. One of the responsibilities that the candidate will have mentions, “Building amazing FPS first open-world multiplayer spaces,” suggesting that not only may there be an open-world attribute involved, but the project will also feature cooperative multiplayer. Since the unannounced survival game is also multiplatform, the multiplayer feature may likely extend to cross-platform compatibility as well. However, this isn’t certain at the moment.

Blizzard

Furthermore, one of the requirements from the candidate also mentions “creating FPS mission experiences,” suggesting that there may be a narrative experience to the unannounced survival game which will feature missions (possibly, cooperative missions). Lastly, one of the bonuses that the candidate can have mentions “a deep understanding of FPS survival games,” further corroborating that this project will be a first-person shooter in the survival genre.

Additionally, another job listing for the Senior Combat Designer position at Blizzard Entertainment’s headquarters in Irvine, California, in the United States provides some more details about what players can expect from the unannounced survival game, the description for which reads, “A new world and a new journey await you. It is a world different from any other Blizzard has built.” Like the previous job listing, the job title for this one also mentions that the position is for the unannounced survival game that the company currently has under development. However, the details about what this project could be are present in the requirements and bonuses that the candidate may have.

Blizzard

One of the requirements from the candidate mentions “having a broad, extensive player experience with FPS and action games, both single-player and online.” While the previous job listing made it clear that the project will feature cooperative multiplayer with missions, this job listing suggests that there may be a campaign experience involved as well. In addition to this, one of the bonuses that the candidate can have mentions another minor but noteworthy detail about the sort of weapons in the unannounced survival game. “Experience designing melee weapon systems,” it states. For a first-person shooter, melee weapons are common, but the company emphasising them specifically for the combat experience suggests that they may play a considerable part in it.

Unfortunately, this is all the information we have on this unannounced survival game from Blizzard Entertainment at the moment. Since the project is still in its early stages of development, more details about it will likely not be unveiled anytime soon. After the recent criticism that the company has had to face due to the release of Diablo Immortal back in June, there are many expectations from Blizzard Entertainment for this yet-to-be-announced project, but exactly how it turns out to be, only time will tell.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Survival games tend to be janky and tedious IMO, if they can give it the Blizz treatment and release a polished more user friendly game concept for this genre, I could be interested.

Can't wait for all the "body type" options and genitalia swapping, neon colored hair rocking different shades of brown skin options giving goodness.

BootsLoader

Banned
  1. in the survival genre
  2. AAA survival game - NEW IP For PC/Console
  3. FPS content, gameplay, level design, and scenario design
  4. amazing FPS first open-world multiplayer spaces
  5. creating FPS mission experiences
  6. "A new world and a new journey await you. It is a world different from any other Blizzard has built"
1. New FPS game, FPS game
2. Exiting game FPS
3. Open world FPS game, new
4. Fantastic FPS experience new, game
5. Journey awaits like no other.

Edit: 6. PC, Console.

Last edited:

hlm666

So he says it's so close to complete in a multiplatform context it doesn't make sense to pull it but I could be wrong. I mean yeh this is how fortune tellers work, cover both out comes so you can't be wrong and claim your right one day when either scenario occurs. Complete waste of oxygen.

Sorry, normally ignore this crap but i'm a few drinks into the night ;)

Ozriel

M$FT
So he says it's so close to complete in a multiplatform context it doesn't make sense to pull it but I could be wrong. I mean yeh this is how fortune tellers work, cover both out comes so you can't be wrong and claim your right one day when either scenario occurs. Complete waste of oxygen.

Sorry, normally ignore this crap but i'm a few drinks into the night ;)

The man literally says he’s only guessing based on when development started, and it isn’t based on any insider information. Why are you making it out like he’s claiming inside information on launch targets?

Madflavor

The problem I have with so many survival games is that in concept it always sounds amazing. Coming across different players, working together, building forts and defending against hordes of undead or monsters, setting off into dangerous areas to scrounge for supplies, it all sounds amazing. But it always ends up boiling down to PvP. You see another player, you immediately start firing at each other. It's fucking lame and ruins the experience for me.

Bridges

The problem I have with so many survival games is that in concept it always sounds amazing. Coming across different players, working together, building forts and defending against hordes of undead or monsters, setting off into dangerous areas to scrounge for supplies, it all sounds amazing. But it always ends up boiling down to PvP. You see another player, you immediately start firing at each other. It's fucking lame and ruins the experience for me.
I tend to agree, there needs to be a better incentive for cooperation. The early days of DayZ were less like this, but eventually it does become clear that you're better off killing someone and taking their stuff because even if they aren't trying to kill you now, they may intend to betray you later.

Only people worth squadding up with are people you know from outside the game.

If there was some tangible benefit to not gunning down everyone you see aside from the thought of cooperation it would make these games a lot more exciting again.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This has been a problem since Ultima Online. That game came out in 1997, a long time ago. Origin tried to put in systems to make it harder for PKs to survive and give consequence to players who do that but they never got it right. These games don't even try and as such they attract the sort who want to be psychopaths... in Minecraft.

Last edited:

nikos

Excited to see what this is about. Glad it's far along in development. Hopefully it doesn't get pulled.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They missed on MOBA.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Big difference there is MOBA had two, high quality, established competitors on the market (Leage + Dota). The survival genre doesn't. Valheim (made by 5 people) and Ark (janky mess) aren't even comparable to the MOBA pillars in terms of polish, production etc.

I'd say this is as close to a sure fire hit as you can get. We'll obviously need to see it to a certain extent.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Big difference there is MOBA had two, high quality, established competitors on the market (Leage + Dota). The survival genre doesn't. Valheim (made by 5 people) and Ark (janky mess) aren't even comparable to the MOBA pillars in terms of polish, production etc.

I'd say this is as close to a sure fire hit as you can get. We'll obviously need to see it to a certain extent.

Have you played Valheim? The immediate thing that came to my mind over a year ago in early access was exactly how much more polished it was than many AAA releases.

Production is also worthless in this sort of genre. It’s more about what you bring to the table. How good is the loop? How much freedom will there be? Valheim allows you to build some crazy shit. Will Blizzard have that same level? I doubt it. It’ll also be littered with MTX trash like their other games.

People put way too much stock in production values and graphics, which this is a genre where mechanics matter more.

Top Bottom