• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

gogosox82

It's one of the most expensive weapons in the game, 40,000 echoes. And I can guarantee it still won't be as good as your axe. You need to build your character and your playstyle around her stupid weapon.

Blades of Mercy do crazy damage especially if you can get a combo going.

Thanks. So don't bother then?

Just ran into the first boss. OOOHHHHH. Then I died.

The best thing about Bloodborne is that all weapons are equally viable. They all have positives and negeatives and they all basically do crazy damage once you get the gems so don't worry about it. If you like them, save up for them and get them.

Blades of Mercy do crazy damage especially if you can get a combo going.

The best thing about Bloodborne is that all weapons are equally viable. They all have positives and negeatives and they all basically do crazy damage once you get the gems so don't worry about it. If you like them, save up for them and get them.

All right, thanks, good to know. My progress is slow, who knows when I will get another weapon lol.

Explored more tonight. First being able to summon that Father something. Really cool to have an ally. Then later I ran into him as a boss fight? He killed me but definitely way easier than the first boss. I brought him to fight the first boss and we all died lol

So I have just been grinding a bit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

I disagree with the idea that the BoM is useless. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a great weaspon once you learn to use it.

It has short range but is one of the fastest weapons in the game, which means that you can slip in little stabs and slashes in smaller openings that you normally wouldn't be able to exploit with larger, slower weapons. It doesn't do that much damage with each little stab, but they add up.

And if you get a big opening? The transformed R1 slash combo can do a lot of damage when you get a chance to use it.

As for the build part, I disagree with that too. Any skill-based build works well with it. I paired the BoM with a longer range weapon like the threaded cane, and it's a good combination.

I didn't like the BoM at first during the main game, but the DLC bosses really made them grow on me. Also note that it's a bit of a slow starter like the cane because you really feel that low damage at first, at least until you learn to take advantage of its speed instead.

Not to mention that it has IMO the coolest transformation animations in the game.

I disagree with the idea that the BoM is useless. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a great weaspon once you learn to use it.

It has short range but is one of the fastest weapons in the game, which means that you can slip in little stabs and slashes in smaller openings that you normally wouldn't be able to exploit with larger, slower weapons. It doesn't do that much damage with each little stab, but they add up.

And if you get a big opening? The transformed R1 slash combo can do a lot of damage when you get a chance to use it.

As for the build part, I disagree with that too. Any skill-based build works well with it. I paired the BoM with a longer range weapon like the threaded cane, and it's a good combination.

I didn't like the BoM at first during the main game, but the DLC bosses really made them grow on me. Also note that it's a bit of a slow starter like the cane because you really feel that low damage at first, at least until you learn to take advantage of its speed instead.

Not to mention that it has IMO the coolest transformation animations in the game.

So how would I get this weapon again? I visited her again yesterday and she just chased me up and down. Maybe I'm too weak to take her on now.

The transformation of weapon is pretty cool

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So how would I get this weapon again? I visited her again yesterday and she just chased me up and down. Maybe I'm too weak to take her on now.

The transformation of weapon is pretty cool
If you aggroed her, I'm not sure what to do.

If you kill her, you can get the weapon that way, but on the other hand, her questline is cool if you can find a way to de-aggro her somehow.

I don't think there's a way to de-aggro NPCs like there is in Souls.

The easiest way to kill her at a low level is to get her to fall to her death. After which you can buy the weapon and armour at the shop in the Hunter's Dream.

Now she's aggro'd you may as well kill her (or help her die!) just for the loot. It's a lesson learned not to hit NPCs by mistake - we've all done it, the amount of times I've put a controller down and hit the trigger buttons by accident etc!

Sayad

It's not that expensive later on when you can get it the regular way, and it's one of the most fun weapons in the game.

Edit: just saw that you agro-ed her, yep, time to kill her. ;p

J2d

bloodborne_hunter_s_workshop_by_ishutani-dbonc1e.jpg

https://twitter.com/Ishu_tani/status/912763271702233088
Incredible, thanks for sharing. I long for the day that bloodborne is either remastered or emulated..

Oh man when I approached her I was so excited because there was finally one enemy that I could get hits in before she could. Then I noticed she started talking to me, I was like wtf.

Time to YouTube how to have her fall to death then. I tried yesterday she just chased me all around. She's fast too.

I got the BoM early the last time I played, I wasn't that in to them so didn't use them for long, but iirc even after aggroing her each fresh time you approach her (as in reloading the area) she has her back to you as you approach, so you can sneak up (walk slowly and enemies with their back you won't hear you approach) and get a free backstab (hold R2 until the flash then R1 right behind them). Holding R2 when in transform mode with the axe will give you a knock-down spin attack that is also really useful against a lot of enemies.

After that if you run out on to the beams and stand just past a corner, she will follow and should try and attack as she gets close and fall - if you position it right so she falls to where the rats are in the sewer, that is the longest fall and she will either die or take one or two hits more to kill. Drop down and with the axe you could cheese her from one ledge above I bet with the overhead attacks or even use molotovs to finish her off. That's what I did anyway. I wasn't up for a fair fight right at the start of the game, the NPCs in BB are TOUGH!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So after staring at that wonderful wallpaper a couple BB tracks, I have a really big urge to replay it. Any weapon suggestions? I've pretty much beaten it with everyone but i'd like to give preference to some weirder suggestions

gogosox82

So ran into my first road block. Pthumerian Descendant was tough. Was stuck on him for like two hours. One missed dodge and your basically dead because he just combos you to death. I had to run into the woods and pick up anti clockwise for the stamina because I just didn't have enough stamina to get out of one his combos if I got hit. I'll probably do shadows of Yharman next which should take forever. God, I really hate fighting Shadows especially being this low level since I get no damage from riposte.

So I finally killed Eileen. Only to find out it cost 40k blood echoes to buy her weapon. Eh. Gonna try take down the celestial beast next.

In terms of leceling up, do I need to worry about skills just yet?

And if the rest of the game is only harder...God this game gonna take forever.

after all this time playing I think I finally found my favorite combination of armor and also the character features suited for them. I've recycled this character several times for different builds, but here I went for the silver hair the game is so obsessed about. More than anything I finally found use for either gascoine's hat or
gherman's
cap on a woman character.

From the picture there's also the nun's skirt/leggings, fingerless gloves from the dlc and of course the datamined blue dress. I still have no idea why they left these duds out of the game.

NKnight7

Neo Member
So I finally killed Eileen. Only to find out it cost 40k blood echoes to buy her weapon. Eh. Gonna try take down the celestial beast next.

And if the rest of the game is only harder...God this game gonna take forever.

In my experience, the game can be difficult at first since you're a lower level and haven't upgraded your weapons too much, but as you progress and upgrade both your character and weapons, it smooths out and becomes more manageable. There might be a few parts where you get really frustrated, but with enough patience and learning from your mistakes you'll conquer those challenges and finish the game.

I remember being really nervous with my first playthrough, but upon finishing it for the first time it easily became one of my favorite PS4 games.

Re: leveling up. Vitality is always a good stat to get going early for more HP - the more hits you can take, the longer you last!

BB is very lenient in comparison to the other Souls games with Endurance and I personally don't think you need to start leveling that as early as the other games, but that is probably weapon-dependent (big heavy weapons take more stamina to swing). YMMV.

You get more damage output from your weapon in two ways:
- upgrading your weapon using consumable materials
- leveling up specifically the stats that your chosen weapon(s) scales with. It's the letter grading under Attribute Bonus on the weapon stats info page in your equipment - S,A to E. S is best, E is worst.

Say your weapon scales A with Strength and D with Skill. So leveling up either of those stats will increase the damage bonus of the weapon, in this example more strength will give a bigger bonus because the scaling is better (A).

The bonus damage is the number with a + after the main damage amount - Physical Attack.

Hope that helps. All Souls games work this way so it gets more familar the more you play. Oh, and you can't really gimp a character so don't worry about that, a few wasted stat points here or there in a stat you're not benefiting much from won't make any difference in the long run. :)

Re: leveling up. Vitality is always a good stat to get going early for more HP - the more hits you can take, the longer you last!

BB is very lenient in comparison to the other Souls games with Endurance and I personally don't think you need to start leveling that as early as the other games, but that is probably weapon-dependent (big heavy weapons take more stamina to swing). YMMV.

You get more damage output from your weapon in two ways:
- upgrading your weapon using consumable materials
- leveling up specifically the stats that your chosen weapon(s) scales with. It's the letter grading under Attribute Bonus on the weapon stats info page in your equipment - S,A to E. S is best, E is worst.

Say your weapon scales A with Strength and D with Skill. So leveling up either of those stats will increase the damage bonus of the weapon, in this example more strength will give a bigger bonus because the scaling is better (A).

The bonus damage is the number with a + after the main damage amount - Physical Attack.

Hope that helps. All Souls games work this way so it gets more familar the more you play. Oh, and you can't really gimp a character so don't worry about that, a few wasted stat points here or there in a stat you're not benefiting much from won't make any difference in the long run. :)

It helps a lot, thanks. Definitely want to upgrade the attack. When I fought the celestial beast before I barely damage him.

What lvls do you guys recommend I be on before I stop grinding? I think I'm at 20 now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So yesterday I was in the Upper Cathedral ward. I had about 70k echoes on me. The werewolf burst through the window, and after a bit of fighting ended up killing me. Whatever - no big deal. I go back up, and the windows still broken, and the Werewolf is standing in front of it. I kill him, look around and can't find my echoes anywhere. The brainsuckers in the room don't have it. Its not on the floor. The werewolf that burst through the window is technically different than the one that appears in front of the burst window, so my echoes were attached to the one that only ever appears once, and then is gone forever.

What a bummer!

The Blades of Mercy are awesome.

kikiribu

after all this time playing I think I finally found my favorite combination of armor and also the character features suited for them. I've recycled this character several times for different builds, but here I went for the silver hair the game is so obsessed about. More than anything I finally found use for either gascoine's hat or
gherman's
cap on a woman character.

From the picture there's also the nun's skirt/leggings, fingerless gloves from the dlc and of course the datamined blue dress. I still have no idea why they left these duds out of the game.
I like that blue dress. That's a shame.

The Blades of Mercy are awesome.
Yes they are, especially for PVP. :)

Yeah, but I would like to know more about Yharnam and the church.

Was the Dark Souls novel good?

I only know about the comics which added some random content to the world which the games ignored anyway

Is there any point in fortifying weapon in the beginning?

All starter weapons are viable to the rest of the game and N+++++++, unless you are going to a specific build aka Bloodtinge or Arcane. Upgrading weapons is always a good choice, you get upgrade material later one except for the +10 material which is pretty rare and lets you upgrade 1 weapon on the main story (you can find more on chalices and on the DLC)

I only know about the comics which added some random content to the world which the games ignored anyway

All starter weapons are viable to the rest of the game and N+++++++, unless you are going to a specific build aka Bloodtinge or Arcane. Upgrading weapons is always a good choice, you get upgrade material later one except for the +10 material which is pretty rare and lets you upgrade 1 weapon on the main story (you can find more on chalices and on the DLC)

Hmm okay thanks. Would you recommend grind and farm for the blade of mercy? It's available for me to buy

Don't know anything about specific build for weapon since I'm completely new to the game.

Just made it out of the first area!

Hmm okay thanks. Would you recommend grind and farm for the blade of mercy? It's available for me to buy

Don't know anything about specific build for weapon since I'm completely new to the game.

Just made it out of the first area!

Well BoM is a skill based weapon, focusing skill would probably mess with your strength weapons since you cant respec.

I like the weapon and worked wonders for me since I chose the Cane which is a skill based weapon too so I didnt feel forced to go skill build.

Also dont grind, just explore and find stuff, you can use the blood echoes in your inventory to get echoes to buy or level up stuff

Well BoM is a skill based weapon, focusing skill would probably mess with your strength weapons since you cant respec.

I like the weapon and worked wonders for me since I chose the Cane which is a skill based weapon too so I didnt feel forced to go skill build.

Also dont grind, just explore and find stuff, you can use the blood echoes in your inventory to get echoes to buy or level up stuff

Ok thanks. You can put your blood echoes away? Whoa

And just beat clerical beast...holy fuck

I think the item its called coldblood, its grants you blood echoes.

Ah, Cleric beast is basically a health regen tutorial

How do you mean by health regen?

I lucked into realizing that I wouldn't be hit a lot by standing next to him...so I kept whacking at him without realizing other strategies

I lucked into realizing that I wouldn't be hit a lot by standing next to him...so I kept whacking at him without realizing other strategies

Bloodborne rewards agressive play , everytime you get hit there is a small bar on your health bar which can be restored if you continue attacking enemies instead of running and look for health potions, you have a limited time to try to recover a good portion of that missing health.

Visceral attacks tends to recover all that missing health bar if you are skilled enough

Cleric beast is a good tutorial since you gradually hinders his arms by continuous attacks so you have to keep hitting even if you get hit you are not in danger because the health mechanic will keep you alive in close combat, the trap on that boss is running from him and try to poke him keeping a good distance will trigger his jump and aoe attacks

Ferr986

He means the system where you can get some of your life back after getting hit if you counter attack fast.

Btw I don't think grinding exp is necessary, most of your exp will come from bosses. And it's not like levels makes that much of a difference for damage, compared to weapon level.

EDIT: Beaten like a Cleric Beast.

Bloodborne rewards agressive play , everytime you get hit there is a small bar on your health bar which can be restored if you continue attacking enemies instead of running and look for health potions, you have a limited time to try to recover a good portion of that missing health.

Visceral attacks tends to recover all that missing health bar if you are skilled enough

Cleric beast is a good tutorial since you gradually hinders his arms by continuous attacks so you have to keep hitting even if you get hit you are not in danger because the health mechanic will keep you alive in close combat, the trap on that boss is running from him and try to poke him keeping a good distance will trigger his jump and aoe attacks

He means the system where you can get some of your life back after getting hit if you counter attack fast.

Btw I don't think grinding exp is necessary, most of your exp will come from bosses. And it's not like levels makes that much of a difference for damage, compared to weapon level.

EDIT: Beaten like a Cleric Beast.

Gotcha. Thanks. Please, share more! So much to learn

kikiribu

Look at my health here. See how low it got..

bloodbornerally6is2w.gif

Basically, I would have died if it weren't for the rally mechanic, and weapons like the axe especially make good use of it. Usually I'd strongly advise against cornering yourself in this game but in cases like this, it can actually help and get you out of trouble faster (with careful planning lol!)

So I made some progress today. made it to the cathedral and old yharnam. Decided to take on the cathedral first, messed around and kept going up where there are two side paths, I took the right one, walked into this room, approached a door then got grabbed into the air by a big, ghostly monster, died instantly while being under "frenzy" (whatever that does)

Tried Old Yharnam as well. Tried to climb up to kill the machine gun guy , but kept dying on the way up, enemies are very aggressive and they travel in pack. Fuck.

Bought the hammer. Kinda fun to use, but redundant with the axe, heavy hitting but slow.

So I made some progress today. made it to the cathedral and old yharnam. Decided to take on the cathedral first, messed around and kept going up where there are two side paths, I took the right one, walked into this room, approached a door then got grabbed into the air by a big, ghostly monster, died instantly while being under "frenzy" (whatever that does)

Tried Old Yharnam as well. Tried to climb up to kill the machine gun guy , but kept dying on the way up, enemies are very aggressive and they travel in pack. Fuck.

Bought the hammer. Kinda fun to use, but redundant with the axe, heavy hitting but slow.

Kirk hammer is good but if you got the grap on the axe, kirk hammer is kind of boring but have higher stun on its moveset

NKnight7

Neo Member

Tip: Keep a torch with you when in Old Yharnam, the smaller enemies aren't the biggest fans of fire and while you hold it they cower in fear, not rushing at you as much. Old Yharnam can be tricky, but the torch trick makes the overall journey through it just a little more bearable.

Kirk hammer is good but if you got the grap on the axe, kirk hammer is kind of boring but have higher stun on its moveset

Ok.thanks. kinda getting that boring feel. Plus the hammer makes me upgrade on skills rather than strength or stamkna

Tip: Keep a torch with you when in Old Yharnam, the smaller enemies aren't the biggest fans of fire and while you hold it they cower in fear, not rushing at you as much. Old Yharnam can be tricky, but the torch trick makes the overall journey through it just a little more bearable.

Thanks. Will try . I looked on youtube a bit. This level is huge.

gogosox82

Ok.thanks. kinda getting that boring feel. Plus the hammer makes me upgrade on skills rather than strength or stamkna

Thanks. Will try . I looked on youtube a bit. This level is huge.

Just take your time. Also, you can skip the npc on the roof for now. He's going to be pretty tough for you take on at your level. You can always come back later when your more powerful and he's less of a threat to you.

Ferr986

Old Yharnam tips: avoid the area with a hunter before the machine gun guy, go through the longer parh located inside the house before him.

And ignore the machine gun guy once you reach him for now, not worrh the effort.

Just take your time. Also, you can skip the npc on the roof for now. He's going to be pretty tough for you take on at your level. You can always come back later when your more powerful and he's less of a threat to you.

Old Yharnam tips: avoid the area with a hunter before the machine gun guy, go through the longer parh located inside the house before him.

And ignore the machine gun guy once you reach him for now, not worrh the effort.

K thanks. Gonna explore more of the cathedral first.

Thanks I will try that. old Yharnam does feel very tricky

Edit+ whoo just beat vicar Amelia

So just beat blood starved beast. Lol I killed it and I died of poison, ran out of antidote . Thanks again for the suggestion of using the torch. Made Old Yharnam much manageable

So just beat blood starved beast. Lol I killed it and I died of poison, ran out of antidote . Thanks again for the suggestion of using the torch. Made Old Yharnam much manageable
Did you collect your bloodstain, it should still be in the boss room with your blood echoes.

Oh and there were a bunch of antidotes behind the statue at the back of the room if you didn't get them!

Did you collect your bloodstain, it should still be in the boss room with your blood echoes.

Oh and there were a bunch of antidotes behind the statue at the back of the room if you didn't get them!

I did. Thank God I didn't have to fight that beast again. Missed the antidote though.

So far things need to be explored -

1. That area where you give a password then only to find out the person behind the door is dead

2. Hemwick

3. Machine gun dude

4. That stupid ghost monster who keeps grabbing me,instant death me with frenzy spell

I did. Thank God I didn't have to fight that beast again. Missed the antidote though.

1. That area where you give a password then only to find out the person behind the door is dead

2. Hemwick

3. Machine gun dude

4. That stupid ghost monster who keeps grabbing me,instant death me with frenzy spell
After defeating Blood Starved Beast, a previously locked door also becomes opened (for no real reason!)
The door by by the Cathedral Ward lamp

The game definately opens up a little bit here and gives you some choices :)

2. Hemwick

3. Machine gun dude

Hemwick is a must, after clearing that area unlocks the Runes on your hunter that grants you passive stats or abilities depending on the rune

If you have the DLC number 4 takes you a new area kinda spoilerish but you dont have to kill machine gun guy.

After defeating Blood Starved Beast, a previously locked door also becomes opened (for no real reason!)
The door by by the Cathedral Ward lamp

The game definately opens up a little bit here and gives you some choices :)

I will check that. Hnm. Can't recall

Hemwick is a must, after clearing that area unlocks the Runes on your hunter that grants you passive stats or abilities depending on the rune

If you have the DLC number 4 takes you a new area kinda spoilerish but you dont have to kill machine gun guy.

I killed the machine gun guy already xD. It feels nice to run around without the machine gun shooting at me. I do have the dlc. Bought the ultimate edition...

itt: i decide to make a blog post about different stuff

I don't think I ever got to show off the hunter that initially started to look like mike fassbender and then just decided to try and make it look entirely like fassbender

Found the best piece of fan art I've seen in the longest time

Guy did this for inktober and it's so fucking good. Dude needs all the followers on his instagram/ has other great bloodborne stuff: Ryan Van Dongen

Also it's been months since I bought my last cologne, I'm running out of the bottle, and it's driving me nuts. Since I became obsessed with bloodborne and then with dark souls I wanted to smell like a crypt/cathedral/church, and it was just a google search away.

Other than blood and guts, the game constantly refers to the scent of incense to fend off beasts, you see a bunch of churches and crypts burning resins and fuming in incense. To me this is bloodborne in a bottle:

It's been out since 2002, it's what morrisey allegedly sprays all over himself and for good reason. This doesn't make you smell like a priest, this is what church masonry and damp crypts fumed in incense for centuries smell like. Life changing stuff.

Progress update - beat the witch, trying out Ludwig's Holy Blade. This game is pretty fun. Went back to Cathedral, noticed that some enemies changed or have now elemental attacks. This game is scary too. Feels like I'm playing a horror game.

Top Bottom