• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BloodRayne: Revamped and BloodRayne 2: Revamped Get Console Release Date

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ziggurat just announced the release date for the re-releases BloodRayne: Revamped and BloodRayne 2: Revamped. Both games are on their way to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch and will be available on November 18.

For those who missed it the first time or just need a refresher, BloodRayne is an action horror game set in the late 1930s. It follows the titular half-vampire Rayne, who travels around the world to prevent the Nazis from uncovering a supernatural artifact. It was followed by BloodRayne 2, which takes place 60 years later and follows Rayne’s quest to stop a vampiric conspiracy from taking over the world. The franchise also has a 2D sequel/spinoff called BloodRayne: Betrayal which was released in 2011.

Last year, Ziggurat Interactive acquired the franchise and re-released the first two games for Windows PC with the subtitle Terminal Cut. The publisher is now bringing both games to modern consoles thanks to developer Big Boat Interactive. It will be available via digital download, with a limited run of physical copies for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. Notably, this will be the first time the sequel releases on a Nintendo console.

It’s also worth specifying that BloodRayne: Revamped and BloodRayne 2: Revamped are updated re-releases instead of full remasters. The re-releases feature upscaled cinematics and improvements to audio, text localization, textures, lighting, reflections, and other effects. Both games will also support 4K resolution on compatible platforms. However, the games’ engines and 3D models still appear to be fundamentally the same. So, players shouldn’t go in expecting a modern or even last-gen level of graphical fidelity. It’s arguably more of a “how you remember it” kind of remaster rather than an attempt to modernize the game completely.

killatopak

Gold Member
Pretty cool.

I think I only played one Bloodrayne and the only thing I remember is that the area is swampy.

P.Jack

Is this worth picking up? How do they play?

Never played Bloodrayne other than the sidescroller from a couple of years ago. I’m a bit hesitant since they haven’t released a trailer yet. I’m all for playing old games, as long as they don’t play like ass.

CamHostage

Clunky, IMO, with physics that makes no sense, a swimmy camera, and a character that controls like you're maneuvering a tree around the stage. (She has this weird vertical-oriented movement where the center of mass is like a dot or a line down the model, and it's tough to get a sense of the character, with too-fast jumps and lanky controls feel like an avatar obeying button-presses rather than a vampire hero fighting in a world.) It's a fun concept, with a cool chick and a variety of moves, but I thought it was behind the times back when it was brand new.

The 2D game, though, that's worth tracking down probably, Bloodrayne Betrayal was by WayForward and they usually do nice work.

Last edited:
Clunky, IMO, with physics that makes no sense, a swimmy camera, and a character that controls like you're maneuvering a tree around the stage. (She has this weird vertical-oriented movement where the center of mass is like a dot or a line down the model, and it's tough to get a sense of the character, with too-fast jumps and lanky controls feel like an avatar obeying button-presses rather than a vampire hero fighting in a world.) It's a fun concept, with a cool chick and a variety of moves, but I thought it was behind the times back when it was brand new.

The 2D game, though, that's worth tracking down probably, Bloodrayne Betrayal was by WayForward and they usually do nice work.

Ok, i'll pass on this i think.

Kikorin

I loved both. I remember they scored pretty low on reviews, but then both were bundled with magazines and I always liked as a super gory action games.

I even remember that when they bundled the first one here in Italy with a magazine, in the description they used a screen of a nude mod, letting you know you could find it online if you want. Is funny to imagine the backslash if they would do something similar today lol

Anyway, I could even spend some money on the Switch version if the port is good.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned

Never played Bloodrayne other than the sidescroller from a couple of years ago. I’m a bit hesitant since they haven’t released a trailer yet. I’m all for playing old games, as long as they don’t play like ass.

I can only talk about the games themselves, don't know how competent the latest port/remaster was because I played them on PS2 and don't have the latest PC re-release.

Bloodrayne 1 is quite unique, you have tank controls (with shoulder camera) and auto-aim with ranged weapons, while melee weapons strictly hit frontally so you have to aim straight at the enemy. It had a lot of attention put into a very advanced dismemberment system that let you hack people apart in more than a dozen ways. You can also jump around 10 feet into the air in very open and vertical environments, often for no reason at all. It's very "arcadey" in a strange sort of way, but in my opinion it works quite well. It remains a pretty straightforward game, you spend 80% of the time killing people and various creatures and the remainder 20% exploring and trying to figure out where to go/what to do.

Bloodrayne 2 is a more "traditional" action game, it has traditional action controls and a lock-on system, both you and the enemies can block hits, the levels are a bit more linear etc. Think PS2-era Prince of Persia/God of War style of games. I remember there were a couple of confusing sections and balance was not always stellar, but it's not bad overall, even though it's definitely less unique and memorable than Bloodrayne 1.

The plot of both is not really all that memorable, even though the witty writing and Rayne's constant sarcasm can be fun (especially in Bloodrayne 1).

I wouldn't say they are hidden gems or must-haves, but if they are 10-15€ each and you don't hate games of that type and age, I think they are definitely worth trying.

Last edited:

P.Jack

Alright, great replies!

I think I’m curious enough to get it, if it’s a good enough port. Otherwise I might just try to find cheap copies for ps2. I can still enjoy the first tomb raider games, despite the ultra tanky movement. This doesn’t look half as bad, but it’s good to know what to expect.

And it’s not like these types of games get many new releases nowadays anyway.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

BloodRayne: ReVamped is apparently coming to PS5 after the remasters initially dropped in November 2021. As with the other versions of BloodRayne, the PS5 edition received a rating of M for Mature, with ESRB detailing the violence and blood that one would expect from a vampire game.

Furozen

BloodRayne: ReVamped is apparently coming to PS5 after the remasters initially dropped in November 2021. As with the other versions of BloodRayne, the PS5 edition received a rating of M for Mature, with ESRB detailing the violence and blood that one would expect from a vampire game.
Apparently? PS5 versions of Bloodrayne 1&2 Revamped were sold by Limited Run Games a few months ago.

Top Bottom