• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg Op-Ed: "Video Game Industry Struggles to Shake Sexist Attitudes" (Ties in "sexism" with harassment at companies like Activision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
wait what? where is this?

Also, with this today also posted by Bloomberg, I'm now thinking that calling them a "respectable publication" (if that ever was the case) is null and void:

lovely ratio though...

I can't access Twitter at work but it's on there.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Haha woke as export. The only thing the US will export with their woke virus is their own wealth. To countries like China.

I used to think Bloomberg was a professional organisation, but it seems they lost their minds and mainly hire blue haired freelance writers now?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Well everywhere really. In Sweden women come in all sizes and forms. I’d like to go where you live with only gorgeus fantastic well trimmed women. I think that; either you are lying or are that you are the kind of person who only see the beauty in women which is a very nice trait and I salut you for it.
Exactly, women come in all sizes. And you think TLOUP2 is a good example of a game that show that? I just see two extremes, skinny and buff.

laynelane

If gaming journos and some devs could stop being offended on our behalf that'd be great.

This statement applies to so many of the causes these "activists" champion. It won't be heard, though, which can be seen by the whole "woke movement could be the next great U.S. cultural export" and the laughable idea that it will be good for other countries. I try to be fair and understanding to other perspectives, but this whole movement is just so gross. A select few people honestly believe they have the right, intelligence, and insight to tell every person in the world what is acceptable or not. I can only hope it doesn't infect any more countries and people than it already has.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Its happened to me. Kinda annoying because its usually women you don't want to fuck. At least in my case. Don't expect Demi Moore from Disclosure.
I remember getting out of a book convention once, there were always these people stopping random passers-by to ask for charity money and this woman comes to me and says something like (in Italian): "Hi!... Don't be scared, I'm not gonna rape you... (gives me a rather horny look) Oh well, I would rape you..."

She looked like the average feminist complaining about oversexualized women in video games these days. Maybe she actually became one of those eventually, who knows.

Anyway, this sounds creepier in English than it actually was (I guess you could have the police called on you in the US for this). I just sighed and went on my way.

Nickolaidas

Banned
They're literally the weird church ladies from 1992.
Funny how the Left is now the Right and the Right is the Left in terms of freedom of expression and conservatism.
Lol obviously they made up that article to grain traffic from fake "issues". The amount of fanservice on Genshin Impact is tame compared to other anime style video games.
Starting to think they made the article to promote Horizon Forbidden West.
This guy doesn't ejaculate. He ejacu-dribbles.

Exactly the kind of twitter avatar I expected to see.
This reminds me of they calling devs racist for creating orcs based on black people.
Not just Orcs, but Drow too. WotC recently released errata which 'corrects' all the attitudes of certain monsters which could be interpreted as racist.

And that's not all. For example, Beholders no longer are xenophobic and obsessed with their own form being 'perfect' because they were accused of promoting ableism.

No. Really. They erased four paragraphs of Beholder lore in order to not offend people with disabilities.

It's an absolute clown world.

Read this, and weep.

Mister Wolf

I remember getting out of a book convention once, there were always these people stopping random passers-by to ask for charity money and this woman comes to me and says something like (in Italian): "Hi!... Don't be scared, I'm not gonna rape you... (gives me a rather horny look) Oh well, I would rape you..."

She looked like the average feminist complaining about oversexualized women in video games these days. Maybe she actually became one of those eventually, who knows.

Anyway, this sounds creepier in English than it actually was (I guess you could have the police called on you in the US for this). I just sighed and went on my way.

They only complain about sexism and double standards within society that don't benefit them. Close your heart to their complaints and outcry.

Last edited:

SSfox

Just came back from some GOT NG+ playthrough, we can see Jin's ass 50 times in the game, ironic that non of those lowtier journalist have never pointed at it as an "issue", or should i say not that ironic. Can't imagine how much those low tier journalists would be whining all days long in twitter if it a was female character.

BTW what a great game again, everytime i come back to GOT it's just too good. Imma gonna need to replay the game full in Kurosawa mode when i have some time.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Rgl6vTJ.jpg
Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Corndog

Banned
It’s a structural problem that we depict and decide what women should look like, and be able to do and that is something that is ongoibg today.

In Sweden where I’m from womens wages are lower then mens even if they do the exakt same work. Very strange and apperently very hard to change.

The game industry is very immature and have a history of making games with questionable character designs to say the least.

To solve this you need to give and take and be able to discuss the matter and change the consensus around these things so that it doesn’t matter how a character look.

If it is a sexy look you want well sure do that. But you shouldn’t do it just because a woman or a man needs to have muscles and big breasts just because.

As usual here at GAF you see an outrage everytime someone even mentions the subject and cries about ”We want good looking bitches” and such. That in itselg is the problem today. That you can’t even disscuss the subject without being aroused like a buthurt teenager.

Women in gaming have come a long way and I for one prefer characters that look more real over fantasy. Ofcourse depending on what type of game it is. Last of us part 2 is for example excellent in it’s realistic character design. At the same time Gears of war is great for what that franchise.
You can discuss it. What you expect is people to agree with you. There is already a place for that.

melekind

Neophyte
Im all for punishing sexual harrasment inside studios and all that, but female characters has been the most tame and boring shit for the recent years, especially from western studios.

Imagine saying the new Lara Croft wears skimpy outfits.

gran-torino-clint-eastwood.gif
oh noooo

you all complain about woke, but yet keep buying the products, so please spare me the tears

put your money where your mouth is, stop buying woke games like Returnal, TLOU2, etc....Sony Playstation under Jim Ryan is the biggest woke champion in gaming industry, stop supporting them

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not all sexualization is bad. Not all sexualized characters are created by men.

maxresdefault.jpg

Diversity in character representation is getting better, not worse.

Things don't change overnight and it's going to take a long time for development trends to catch up to the width of the audience but the industry IS showing progress.

Equating sexualization of video game characters to the malfeasance of people within a company is stupid as I'm sure plenty bullshit that happens at development studios that make games with diverse casts of characters or games that aren't character focused.

you all complain about woke, but yet keep buying the products, so please spare me the tears

put your money where your mouth is, stop buying woke games like Returnal, TLOU2, etc....Sony Playstation under Jim Ryan is the biggest woke champion in gaming industry, stop supporting them

WTF the fuck is woke about Returnal?

Also, despite the claims of wokism in TLOU2, the game is actually a damn good game. The inclusion of token gay and transexual characters isn't given the focus of the narrative at all, rather the story is well told and entertaining on its own merits.... which is a damn sight more than can be said for other woke media shit that is just plain shit, because they place the entire focus on the woke instead of just telling a great story.

And if you think Sony is the only publisher putting out woke-pandering games, you're fucking nuts or blind, or just plain old uninformed.

Last edited:

mrBandoza

Neo Member
I expect a discussion with arguments that are based on reality. No one needs to agree with me but if so please tell me why you don’t agree and why I should think differnt.

If we can have a civil argument both you and I will get something from it and in the end it will reflect on this forum and in the long run hopefully the gaming industry. If it only boils down to slander everytime we discuss an important subject well then you get the kindergarten mentality and no one will listen. And in the end you will only have people that think and feel the same and thats when it stops being a discussion.

Wildebeest

wait what? where is this?

Also, with this today also posted by Bloomberg, I'm now thinking that calling them a "respectable publication" (if that ever was the case) is null and void:
This article argues that "woke" is a good thing for America because it is the most aggressive form of authoritarian American imperialism since the Neocons started the Iraq war.

Haggard

Banned
If it wasn`t for threads like these i`d not even know "woke" existed.

Delete your twitter, facebook and Instagram accounts, and whoosh 99,9% of all those inbreds suddenly vanish from your lifes to never be heard about again.
You are making a fuzz about a measly 0,5% of the population and their equally retarded and negligibly numbered counterparts on the other end of the spectrum because social media algorythms tend to highlight the most emotional/stupid stuff for the sake of clicks.

The inbred village idiots always existed, all that changed is their reach via media.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I see our most admired Jason Schreier is inviting his friends to contribute.

Makes it easier for Schreier to know who to block, I guess.
It’s good that women are starting to speak up too, it’s definitely weird if femininity and beauty is considered a bad thing. I really just think most want a cool looking main character. And when devs try to push diversity politics down our throats from some checklist it rarely ends with something cool. They’re designed with a constant fear of triggering the angry Twitter mob if they go too far on anything. Instead of a palette with all colors they can only design with a gray scale.

GymWolf

Nothing woke in returnal.

The protagonist even has a nice chair-consumer for a middle age woman.

Nickolaidas

Banned
It’s a structural problem that we depict and decide what women should look like, and be able to do and that is something that is ongoibg today.

In Sweden where I’m from womens wages are lower then mens even if they do the exakt same work. Very strange and apperently very hard to change.

The game industry is very immature and have a history of making games with questionable character designs to say the least.

To solve this you need to give and take and be able to discuss the matter and change the consensus around these things so that it doesn’t matter how a character look.

If it is a sexy look you want well sure do that. But you shouldn’t do it just because a woman or a man needs to have muscles and big breasts just because.

As usual here at GAF you see an outrage everytime someone even mentions the subject and cries about ”We want good looking bitches” and such. That in itselg is the problem today. That you can’t even disscuss the subject without being aroused like a buthurt teenager.

Women in gaming have come a long way and I for one prefer characters that look more real over fantasy. Ofcourse depending on what type of game it is. Last of us part 2 is for example excellent in it’s realistic character design. At the same time Gears of war is great for what that franchise.

Well everywhere really. In Sweden women come in all sizes and forms. I’d like to go where you live with only gorgeus fantastic well trimmed women. I think that; either you are lying or are that you are the kind of person who only see the beauty in women which is a very nice trait and I salut you for it.
Having options is good. The problem is that the known suspects want to eliminate options and have only one 'correct' course to take. You don't see articles like "Wouldn't it be nice to have a not-gorgeous and simply down-to-earth female protagonist?" anymore. Now you only have articles like "Sexy female design in video games needs to die yesterday and here is why ..."

It's not about options. It's about doing a 180' and doing the exact opposite of what was done in the 80s and 90s. Men still dictate how women should look in video games, except that now they want them looking like nuns, while 20 years ago they wanted them to look like hookers.

And women *still* have no say in this.

mrBandoza

Neo Member
Having options is good. The problem is that the known suspects want to eliminate options and have only one 'correct' course to take. You don't see articles like "Wouldn't it be nice to have a not-gorgeous and simply down-to-earth female protagonist?" anymore. Now you only have articles like "Sexy female design in video games needs to die yesterday and here is why ..."

It's not about options. It's about doing a 180' and doing the exact opposite of what was done in the 80s and 90s. Men still dictate how women should look in video games, except that now they want them looking like nuns, while 20 years ago they wanted them to look like hookers.

And women *still* have no say in this.

I agree with you. Nice to see someone seeing it from that perspective. And pinpointing the real problem with the article. The point should not be to ban or force something, it should be to make everything work and have it’s place without preconceptions.

When thinking woman character it can be anything from sexy to ”butch” (as someone put it). I think we have a bit to go before we hit that point in character design within the game industry and in the society as a whole, but we are getting there.

If it wasn`t for threads like these i`d not even know "woke" existed.

Delete your twitter, facebook and Instagram accounts, and whoosh 99,9% of all those inbreds suddenly vanish from your lifes to never be heard about again.
You are making a fuzz about a measly 0,5% of the population and their equally retarded and negligibly numbered counterparts on the other end of the spectrum because social media algorythms tend to highlight the most emotional/stupid stuff for the sake of clicks.

The inbred village idiots always existed, all that changed is their reach via media.
Wokeism hasn't just infiltrated social media. It's actually slowly infecting everything. Gaming has really been one of the last bastions to hold off it infecting the industry as a whole. The unfortunate thing is that too many companies are pandering to them, as they take their artificially trumpeted voices on Twitter and Facebook as the majority opinion.

I do have a positive outlook, though. It may take time, but I think companies are slowly realizing that they aren't making much money pandering to these people. Not too long ago Gillette tried pandering to them with the Best a Man Can Get ad, and lost a lot of customers because of it. Recently, movies have been flopping left and right, with only a few stand out successes. A lot have just been mediocre movies, but some have been trying to pander to those people. Along comes Spider-Man, that has no wokeness in the film at all, and makes $1B+ in 10 days.

Last edited:
Wokeism hasn't just infiltrated social media. It's actually slowly infecting everything. Gaming has really been one of the last bastions to hold off it infecting the industry as a whole. The unfortunate thing is that too many companies are pandering to them, as they take their artificially trumpeted voices on Twitter and Facebook as the majority opinion.

I do have a positive outlook, though. It may take time, but I think companies are slowly realizing that they aren't making much money pandering to these people. Not too long ago Gillette tried pandering to them with the Best a Man Can Get ad, and lost a lot of customers because of it. Recently, movies have been flopping left and right, with only a few stand out successes. A lot have just been mediocre movies, but some have been trying to pander to those people. Along comes Spider-Man, that has no wokeness in the film at all, and makes $1B+ in 10 days.

Yup, there's a reason why the phrase "go woke, go broke" exists.

Companies are quickly starting to discover that these wokester SJWs do not represent the majority.

That said, creators who are political activists first, won't stop trying to force their propaganda down our throats in all entertainment media. Once they realise that wholesale overt propagandising, to the detriment of their art, doesn't work, they'll try more subtle forms and consumers will just grow to tolerate it; reaching a largely unhealthy equilibrium.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Basically all I’m seeing is a certain section of the audience wants to swap roles. Let male characters be sexually objectified and held up to impossible physical standards, turn women into heroes who save other women and the world.

That’s brilliant, it’s brilliant, absolutely brilliant, avant-garde!

Like that show Arcane, which I really liked.

Edit: I forgot a very important aspect, men are either villains or extremely problematic, because you know… men are the enemies of women.

Last edited:
Are these people Muslims or something? Why do they want female characters to be covered up so badly?

Lara Croft wears a tank top and shorts cause she’s in a fucking tropical jungle most of the time lmao
male feminists that deep down believe that a female somewhere will come across their article and then have sex with them. the truth is that all they are doing is turning vaginas into sahara

Haha woke as export. The only thing the US will export with their woke virus is their own wealth. To countries like China.

I used to think Bloomberg was a professional organisation, but it seems they lost their minds and mainly hire blue haired freelance writers now?
“wokeness” is a late 19th century european export

Roxkis_ii

male feminists that deep down believe that a female somewhere will come across their article and then have sex with them. the truth is that all they are doing is turning vaginas into sahara

Which is ironic, because most female gamers I'm familiar with like sexy shit. Games like FF14 and Bayonetta have huge female fan bases.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Which is ironic, because most female gamers I'm familiar with like sexy shit. Games like FF14 and Bayonetta have huge female fan bases.

I am more and more of the idea that the desire is to tear that down too and rebuild, to correct the behaviour and ideas of such women (very pretty fit people are not the majority, well less and less in some countries). The male objectification angle (which would be completely ignoring that some women like it as power fantasy or makes them horny too as much as it does guys) is the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Of course Reeeee is handled this discourse with expected results (thoughtful posts banned for "dismissing concerns of sexism"). And as I think someone mentioned, the article's writer went there to complain (of all the "harassment" he's receiving and how "it must happen to women in the industry all the time"), so he literally did write it for that audience:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom