• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Phil Spencer on the hunt for partnerships/further deals outside of their traditional markets

I highly doubt that would happen especially for Capcom, but thats just me.
I don't think we're going to be seeing ANY publisher acquisition for a while from Microsoft

Studios like ioi, asobo, etc, along with game pass day one deals seem much more likely after the heat applied through Activision

Besides, I'd be willing to bet next big publisher sold is WB interactive .... There were already rumors in the past, and zaslav seems to be cutting costs anywhere possible

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think we're going to be seeing ANY publisher acquisition for a while from Microsoft

Studios like ioi, asobo, etc, along with game pass day one deals seem much more likely after the heat applied through Activision

Besides, I'd be willing to bet next big publisher sold is WB interactive .... There were already rumors in the past, and zaslav seems to be cutting costs anywhere possible

Probably no major multi billion acquisition any time soon after this.

But maybe smaller indie studios, someone already mentioned the team making Lies of P, that is the kind of studio Phil would sign up in a heartbeat.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean expansion is something, but I feel like his time would be better spent whipping his current studios in shape to have more regular releases.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Probably no major multi billion acquisition any time soon after this.

But maybe smaller indie studios, someone already mentioned the team making Lies of P, that is the kind of studio Phil would sign up in a heartbeat.
They're already working with io and asobo, seems a no brainer to me, I think they're much more likely to go after AA /quasi-AAA than indies, but we'll see I guess

Jboemios

Banned
No Japanese developer/publisher will want to shoot them selves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
Nice pasta :messenger_tears_of_joy:

coffinbirth

I wonder why he didn’t decide to work with Itagaki and his studio last year? Itagaki was Xbox’s biggest supporter in Japan and the fact that Microsoft just let him flounder back when he left Tecmo is just shameful. He could have been an incredibly valuable developer for Microsoft.
Because Itagaki is washed up and done. He's only really put out one game in about 15 years, and it was Devils Third... which was originally supposed to be an Xbox 360 exclusive with a full partnership deal with Microsoft, but it was an absolute dumpster fire and Microsoft terminated the deal after five years of just seeing janky dogshit...that's probably why, lol.

Because Itagaki is washed up and done. He's only really put out one game in about 15 years, and it was Devils Third... which was originally supposed to be an Xbox 360 exclusive with a full partnership deal with Microsoft, but it was an absolute dumpster fire and Microsoft terminated the deal after five years of just seeing janky dogshit...that's probably why, lol.
We don't know when the partnership with Microsoft fell through though. It could have been stuck in the negotiation phase and never went beyond that. Valhalla was founded in late 2008 and the reveal trailer for Devil's Third under THQ was in 2010. Microsoft at the time was trying to focus on the Kinect, so they probably wanted something more kinect-focused compared to what Itagaki wanted.

Devil's Third was plagued with a variety of bad circumstances, with not only THQ going bankrupt, but the third party game engine they used for the game no longer being supported after that game engine company went bankrupt, then trying to switch over to the Darksiders Engine before THQ went bankrupt. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong, and maybe Itagaki could be partly to blame for making decisions that made the studio vulnerable to these setbacks. I think having Microsoft financially supporting him would give Itagaki the stability he needs to direct another quality game title.

jaysius

Banned
I'm excited for the upcumming fleshlight/womanizer buyout, nothing will say sex more than the green and black color scheme.

Infamy v1

Actually, I'm against consolidation. I have no desire for sony to buy any major publishers. That's because unlike you, I'm not a worthless corporate shill.
I don't give a shit what you "claim" to be against. There's thousands upon thousands of posts here and elsewhere from like-minded shills that are begging for the companies I posted, which proves my point and invalidates yours.

And ooof, your seething hatred for Microsoft and especially Phil Spencer in your post history must mean there are some deeper scars. Hmm...

drganon

I don't give a shit what you "claim" to be against. There's thousands upon thousands of posts here and elsewhere from like-minded shills that are begging for the companies I posted, which proves my point and invalidates yours.

And ooof, your seething hatred for Microsoft and especially Phil Spencer in your post history must mean there are some deeper scars. Hmm...
I don't give a shit what you believe either. Nothing you posted invalidates what I stated.You on the other hand, are nothing more than a corporate bootlicker.Your post history is pretty much nothing but kissing Phil and Microsoft's ass, so you can take that idiotic "scars" comment and shove it straight up your ass, you worthless hypocrite.

Infamy v1

I don't give a shit what you believe either. Nothing you posted invalidates what I stated.You on the other hand, are nothing more than a corporate bootlicker.Your post history is pretty much nothing but kissing Phil and Microsoft's ass, so you can take that idiotic "scars" comment and shove it straight up your ass, you worthless hypocrite.

You: Xbox fans love to acquisition beg

*gets hilariously proven that Sony fans do the same exact thing*

You: iM aGaInSt cOnSoLiDaTiOn iM nOt A CoRpOrAtE sHiLL

The other hilarious part is that you got proven that you are, indeed, a corporate shill, which isn't only defined by "begging for acquisitions," and your rebuttal is "you KiSs PhiLs AsS sO tAkE yOuR cOmMeNtS *sniff* aNd ShOvE iT uP yOuR aSs!"

Sorry, but the majority of my post history is embarrassing hypocrites like you where as you have like 4 dozen posts, at least, dedicated to attacking Phil Spencer.

Oh, sorry, that's Lord Phil Dominus Maximus Spencer, just for you.

drganon

You: Xbox fans love to acquisition beg

*gets hilariously proven that Sony fans do the same exact thing*

You: iM aGaInSt cOnSoLiDaTiOn iM nOt A CoRpOrAtE sHiLL

The other hilarious part is that you got proven that you are, indeed, a corporate shill, which isn't only defined by "begging for acquisitions," and your rebuttal is "you KiSs PhiLs AsS sO tAkE yOuR cOmMeNtS *sniff* aNd ShOvE iT uP yOuR aSs!"

Sorry, but the majority of my post history is embarrassing hypocrites like you where as you have like 4 dozen posts, at least, dedicated to attacking Phil Spencer.

Oh, sorry, that's Lord Phil Dominus Maximus Spencer, just for you.
Exposing hypocrisy? Don't make me laugh. What other people post has nothing to do what I stated. You posting jibberish doesnt refute anything. The truth is you're an idiotic shill on top of being a creepy stalker. I'd say the sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be, but you're far too retarded for that to ever happen.

Infamy v1

Exposing hypocrisy? Don't make me laugh. What other people post has nothing to do what I stated. You posting jibberish doesnt refute anything. The truth is you're an idiotic shill on top of being a creepy stalker. I'd say the sooner you realize that, the better off you'll be, but you're far too retarded for that to ever happen.

bekphnqftcb41.jpg

Resorting to ad hominem attacks like "idiot" and "retarded" shows how backed up against the wall you are, especially since you keep shouting "Shill! Corporate bootlicker!" which seems to be some wierd projection thing since you are very, very clearly that. Then you get noticeably irate and say I'm a stalker because I used a site function to prove that to you.

Yes, what other people post does have everything to do with what you're stating. You labeled one fanbase as one way, and when shown its not only that fanbase thay does that, you get visibly upset and defensive while being the living representation of the Spider-Man pointing meme. Don't be angry because you got called out for having like 50 posts talking shit about Phil Spencer unprovoked.

gCqhmw8.jpg

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Actually, I'm against consolidation. I have no desire for sony to buy any major publishers. That's because unlike you, I'm not a worthless corporate shill.

Gamepass is actually a very clear, logical reason for some xbox owners to want Microsoft to grow their first party via acquisition. It could potentially save them hundreds of dollars.

I know for sure I’d be happy not to spend $70 on Call of Duty titles for this gen.

That’s…not ‘corporate shilling’ by any definition. There’s actual value to be had as a consumer.

Infamy v1

Gamepass is actually a very clear, logical reason for some xbox owners to want Microsoft to grow their first party via acquisition. It could potentially save them hundreds of dollars.

I know for sure I’d be happy not to spend $70 on Call of Duty titles for this gen.

That’s…not ‘corporate shilling’ by any definition. There’s actual value to be had as a consumer.

That's the thing that's baffling from these folk that beg for SE, FromSoft, KojiPro, etc. They don't even really gain anything aside from list warzzz.

At least with ABK, gamers get Kotick kicked the fuck out, a vastly improved company purged of toxicity, the CoD sweatshop at least partially reduced, devs given more freedom to do what they want, and selfishly for all of us: all these new games on Game Pass day one along with a disgustingly large backlog of previous games dropped on the service.

The difference is staggering, and that's why even gaming media are cheering it on, much to certain people's displeasure.

coffinbirth

We don't know when the partnership with Microsoft fell through though. It could have been stuck in the negotiation phase and never went beyond that. Valhalla was founded in late 2008 and the reveal trailer for Devil's Third under THQ was in 2010. Microsoft at the time was trying to focus on the Kinect, so they probably wanted something more kinect-focused compared to what Itagaki wanted.

Devil's Third was plagued with a variety of bad circumstances, with not only THQ going bankrupt, but the third party game engine they used for the game no longer being supported after that game engine company went bankrupt, then trying to switch over to the Darksiders Engine before THQ went bankrupt. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong, and maybe Itagaki could be partly to blame for making decisions that made the studio vulnerable to these setbacks. I think having Microsoft financially supporting him would give Itagaki the stability he needs to direct another quality game title.
Devils Third is bad, regardless of the circumstances...and that was eight years ago. Why on Earth would Microsoft go back to that shit well? Platinum I could definitely see, but not Itagaki, unless Warrior is actually a decent game.

Top Bottom