• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elbereth

I think this is one those items you have to experience to really communicate It’s value. A trailer won’t really do it justice. If the early previews are any indication, it’s going to be an awesome device. Word of mouth will propel it from there.

In any case, I preordered the Horizon bundle earlier today.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
GT7 VR has to be in development way longer than just a few weeks dude....that theory is bullocks lol

Nope, I'm convinced it's a rush job. Between the fact that they didn't announce it when preorders launched, no playable at ces, (not to mention announcing at ces), and no hands on for at least major gaming sites, I'd say they are frantically trying to finish right now.......

Nope, I'm convinced it's a rush job. Between the fact that they didn't announce it when preorders launched, no playable at ces, (not to mention announcing at ces), and no hands on for at least major gaming sites, I'd say they are frantically trying to finish right now.......

You don't know how Sony operates, clearly lol. They have been secretive about everything and their marketing tactic is to slowly build hype over time.

You don't throw together a mode in a few weeks for launch dude.

Last edited:

Salz01

VR is cool tech, but it still has a ways to go. And be cheaper. IMHO Sony is dropping the ball again, the launch titles are sub par, and you can get similar experiences on cheaper hardware else where. Sony not have a traditional show case that displays future titles, is going to catch up with the this year. Includes ps5 and vr

hussar16

Three issues with why nobody is as excited about vr 2.
1.the first attempt at vr was lack luster on sony vr and honestly left a pretty bad impression,many times first impressions matter and it was really low quality vr the first time and many people don't feel excited or risk it. I know I'm not excited to get it at all after the first vr .
2. It's 500$ more then the first
3. The attached cable included in the vr2. A cable attached to the headset at all times is a huge turnoff for a product worth 500$.nobody wants a cable in 2023

Crayon

2 million units by march always sounded like a lot to me. That came from bloomberg too, i think. Isn't it a little late to cut that in half? I could see cutting the sales projection in half but not the actual production. The headline says "output" which is confusing.

THE DUCK

You don't know how Sony operates, clearly lol. They have been secretive about everything and their marketing tactic is to slowly build hype over time.

You don't throw together a mode in a few weeks for launch dude.

To announce at ces, somewhere they never announce gaming stuff? Doubtfull.
The plot will thicken if it's magically "delayed"

Also it's not that hard to add vr to a driving game, it's already a fixed position view and cockpit first person views are already in place.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I have no idea if this news is true or not, but what i do know is that Sony limiting the availability of the headset to their own on-line Store is a big issue for many. While I am interested in buying it, I will NOT buy it until I can get from a retailer like Best Buy. Sony cutting out retailers from selling the unit is a big mistake imho. I know several people that have credit at Gamestop, Best Buy or Amazon and would buy it if they made it available. For me, the big thing is having an extended warranty that also covers accidental damage.

I have a Quest 2 but shortly after i bought it, my friend tried it and fell on the floor busting one of the controllers...I was able to walk into Best Buy with my extended warranty and walked out with a new unit no issues.

Zones

Brought to you by the same fake news organization which said "Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s".

To be clear, the initial '2 million for launch' was a made up story to begin with, so this current news is also naturally a complete utter nonsense.

Rac3r

Also it's not that hard to add vr to a driving game, it's already a fixed position view and cockpit first person views are already in place.

"VR" was spotted in the game files August/September of last year. Meaning PD were working on it well before then.

Elginer

It's expensive and I have no problem with that it the games were there and a sign of commitment. I dont see that nor any details on how I can view VR content I own on a mem stick.

Gobjuduck

Banned
fake news organization...., so this current news is also naturally a complete utter nonsense.
everything I dont like is also fake
One of the better lineups in launch history + A great Value
To you, most people can't afford the damn console let alone the $600 VR.
Sony has plenty of runway to drop the price and release more killer app content
so, you admit its overpriced. VR headsets like the oculus lose money every sale.
their marketing tactic is to slowly build hype over time.
its working so well that they potentially just cut expectations in half.

Three

The hands on sent to gaming sites is with regard to the headset itself. They did that at CES anyway but what has that got to do with GT7 being an alleged rush job?
Dude, you do know that they announced PSVR2 itself at CES 2022 along with games right?

https://www.polygon.com/22868424/playstation-vr2-announced-horizon-call-of-the-mountain-trailer

This isn't some conspiracy to rush out a GT7 announcement based on 2023 preorders. Come on.

Last edited:

Crayon

Napkin math alert.

So 30 million ps5's and 2 million headsets would be a 1:15 attach. Better than psvr1. Half of that would be 1:30 worse than the first one!

I thought 2 million was a lot but 1:15 sounds about right with the first one being 1:20. Impressions and launch lineup have been looking better and better but maybe it's bad timing. Still not sure bout the veracity of all this, though. Hope we can get real sales numbers as this shapes up instead of a bunch of indirect metrics.

THE DUCK

The hands on sent to gaming sites is with regard to the headset itself. They did that at CES anyway but what has that got to do with GT7 being an alleged rush job?

Dude, you do know that they announced PSVR2 itself at CES 2022 along with games right?

https://www.polygon.com/22868424/playstation-vr2-announced-horizon-call-of-the-mountain-trailer

This isn't some conspiracy to rush out a GT7 announcement based on 2023 preorders. Come on.

So your Sony, you want people to pre order the psvr2, and you have a big preorder event. It's your position that it's somehow smarter to hold back your best AAA game that would sell the machine? Hey let's wait for the non gaming show, where we tradionally don't announce new games. (Nor do most other gaming companies)

It's not a "conspiracy", I'm telling you Sony looked at the weak preorders and then looked internally as to what they could do. They go to Polyphony and knowing they had screwed around with vr mode already, ask them how long to make the whole game Vr. They are like, dunno, 4-6 months. Boss says any way you can double down and get it to us in 2 or 3 months? They say yes. It's not that crazy.

Last edited:

Three

So your Sony, you want people to pre order the psvr2, and you have a big preorder event. It's your position that it's somehow smarter to hold back your best AAA game that would sell the machine? Hey let's wait for the non gaming show.
Yes hold back the announcement until closer to launch which would be when most people show an interest.

It's not a "conspiracy", I'm telling you Sony looked at the weak preorders and then looked internally as to what they could do. They go to Polyphony and knowing they had screwed around with vr mode already, ask them how long to make the whole game Vr. They are like, dunno, 4-6 months. Boss says any way you can double down and get it to us in 2 or 3 months? They say yes. It's not that crazy.
The conspiracy you're flogging is the idea that they announced GT7 at CES therefore it was a rushed out announcement because they don't do that CES. Except that's so blatantly incorrect because the PSVR2 itself with Horizon:CoTM was announced at CES 2022.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Honestly, what did they expect? It's far too expensive, the launch line up doesn't contain full length, new AAA games, and people are now used to untethered, wireless VR with the Quest that can play PC VR games with zero issues.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Previously on Bloomberg:

ZATBcH4.jpg
6zdjsln.jpg

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Why is this relevant to your point that gt7 is a last minute rush job to increase demand?

Sony has a history of announcing VR news at CES

You guys keep throwing out that it some sort of smart move for Sony to hold back their best game for months for CES, that's why. Between the fact that it's not the best place to reach gamers (regardless of Sony's insistence to release VR hardware there) and missing out on the initial excitement of the pre-order launch event, it doesn't make sense overall. There was literally millions of PS5 owners watching the PSVR event when pre-orders went out in November. That was the time to announce, not at the CES show when you have a random group of consumers, many of which don't own a PS5.

Last edited:

Zones

everything I dont like is also fake
People like you need to get a better hobby instead of arguing over the internet while being as ignorant as possible.

Now before you open your mouth again, here's why they are fake...

Bloomberg wrote this article saying that Sony's plan to compensate for the PS5 shortage is to produce more PS4s:

"Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s"

Sony denied those claims, and now about a year later with PS5 shortages becoming far less common, we know for a fact that Bloomberg's article was pure utter BS.

Last thing I will say is that the recent 1 million for launch is a made up fake story because Sony will very likely produce and ship less than this reported one million PSVR2 for the launch of the product.

reinking

Gold Member
What are people expecting in the launch window? I see several "lack of games" type posts and I can't figure out what some people were expecting? Or, is this just a case of "I'm not getting it so I have to shit on it?" I am pretty excited about the launch. There are a couple of heavy hitters right out of the gate.

Zannegan

It's a $500 accessory/peripheral. This product is going to be dead within a year if they don't adjust the price by then
For me, the worry wouldn't just be the price but how tied into a Sony's ecosystem it is. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with that, of course they'd want to. With PCVR though, while the headset will get outdated over time, you're not locked into a single hardware platform or storefront (despite FB/Meta's best efforts). A $500 peripheral that only works with the PS5 to play games that might only work for a single generation (like PSVR1) is a harder sell.

I can't afford either right now, so it doesn't matter for me just yet. We'll see.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah i called it when they kept sending me emails to preorder.

They are treating this like they treated ps5. Ps vr pro. They have one big game that doesn’t even look that impressive. The rest are ports or vr shovelware. They chose not to overpay or suck Gabe’s dick for half life Alyx. They need AAA games on this fucking thing that costs more than a ps5 itself. I can’t believe Sony is making the same mistakes Microsoft continues to make with their consoles. Specs don’t matter if you don’t release the games that take advantage of those specs.

Ronin_7

Banned
Eh hasn't Bloomberg been wrong on stuff like this, like a lot lately? Not sure I can trust this source.
2M was never realistic. OG VR sold like a million each year.

Even if this is more successful which should be, the 2M launch Window would be too big for such a pricey peripheral.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Gosh, it almost seems like expensive hardware only sells when there is compelling software to go along with it.
Who would have thunk.

Hexxus

Banned
I think it will do worse than even a million. I laid 6 people off in the last week. Wrong product at the wrong time with the wrong software for the wrong cost.

A pandemic launch is what they needed, not one on the edge of recession. DOA.

OuterLimits

Napkin math alert.

So 30 million ps5's and 2 million headsets would be a 1:15 attach. Better than psvr1. Half of that would be 1:30 worse than the first one!

I thought 2 million was a lot but 1:15 sounds about right with the first one being 1:20. Impressions and launch lineup have been looking better and better but maybe it's bad timing. Still not sure bout the veracity of all this, though. Hope we can get real sales numbers as this shapes up instead of a bunch of indirect metrics.

First one was cheaper though correct? Plus macro economic conditions aren't exactly fantastic right now with high prices of many essentials eating into disposable income for many people.

Surfheart

At the end of the day, these vr manufacturers keep pumping out higher and higher quality headsets, and this shit keep getting more and more expensive.

Just make one that is decent quality, not bleeding edge, and price it at $299 or 399 at the absolute most. And that's it.

You need adoption. You need people to make this an impulse purchase.
Not fucking $600. I mean, jesus. This industry is never gonna get anywhere with these headsets that crack $1000.

I think sony made the wrong move going with the best of the best of the best.

5db7f116-488b-466e-b614-6f6930132bc4_text.gif

Last edited:
A niche, expensive peripheral that requires a still hard to find $500 console that has no must have games that I know of at launch has issues filling preorders? Not sure about the source, but I think this is definitely feasible.

For Sony, VR to my knowledge didn’t even sell too well on the PS4 even with a massive user base so I guess they are hoping the second time is a charm. I feel one of the primary issues with VR is the software which to me looks like glorified tech demos and shovelware normally. We’ll see what happens though because I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Crayon

First one was cheaper though correct? Plus macro economic conditions aren't exactly fantastic right now with high prices of many essentials eating into disposable income for many people.

Not that much cheaper, really. I think the headset alone was 400 and it needed a camera to work. The move controllers were optional but they turned out to be essential.

Yeah i called it when they kept sending me emails to preorder.

They are treating this like they treated ps5. Ps vr pro. They have one big game that doesn’t even look that impressive. The rest are ports or vr shovelware. They chose not to overpay or suck Gabe’s dick for half life Alyx. They need AAA games on this fucking thing that costs more than a ps5 itself. I can’t believe Sony is making the same mistakes Microsoft continues to make with their consoles. Specs don’t matter if you don’t release the games that take advantage of those specs.

Wtf are you taking about?

There’s at least three games at launch taking advantage of it fully

Baki

This is unsurprising. Wired VR is niche and the headset is more expensive than the PS5. What’s crazy is that Sony initial expectation of 2m for year 1 is abysmally low for a new platform but they’re not even going to hit those numbers. Early adopters are going to get fucked hard here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom