• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukhopops

I don’t think this is even Sony’s fault, VR interest has been literally declining over the last five years.

You can see on Google the yearly interest spike around CES and it gets smaller every time, with the highest peak in 2018. VR will keep stagnating until some generational change occurs.

Reactions: Alx

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It is, it’s building momentum leading to launch

Anyone with a bit of dev sense knows too can’t tack something like that on in weeks

That might make sense if your reaching your core ps5 audience in both instances, I'm not convinced they are at ces. (More eyeballs overall maybe, way less ps5 owners)

VR has been tacked on some pc driving games by one person, I think Poly can handle it in much shorter order. And again we aren't talking about a game where you have to tackle movement and all kinds of other challenges.
Watch it get delayed.

drezz

Three issues with why nobody is as excited about vr 2.
1.the first attempt at vr was lack luster on sony vr and honestly left a pretty bad impression,many times first impressions matter and it was really low quality vr the first time and many people don't feel excited or risk it. I know I'm not excited to get it at all after the first vr .
2. It's 500$ more then the first
3. The attached cable included in the vr2. A cable attached to the headset at all times is a huge turnoff for a product worth 500$.nobody wants a cable in 2023
And no BC.
Sony strong-arming devs too come back and do a propper port IS working however! In making said ports run better and play better then a normal BC would've done.
There is ofcourse a bunch of games not ported yet and some might never be... which is a damning shame. But Im hopefull at least the better ones that have yet too be announced will come in time; either a announcement during launch or a suprice reveal w/release.

I can somewhat understand peoples doubt in PSVR2 with the unfortunate said troubles(They are overcomeable), but I really hope for more and better experiences in gaming and especially in VR...
We need NEW games, both fully VR games and Hybrid games(Think GTA6, Cod/Warzone2, FarCry7 and just about every crossgen FPS game still releasing... but with VR support like RE8,NMS,GT) too help with PSVR2 hype/sales and VR as a whole.
Already released games beeing ported over is fine, but the new stuff coming is what will make PSVR2 absoulutly outshine the standalones... But enough to outsell them? Doubtfull, but it's fine as long as VR is growing and Sony doesnt drop out of VR.

Im really hoping PSVR2 takes off and games having the option too play them in VR, Cause I've been bitten by the VR bug and it kinda have put a demper on normal flat tv games for me. And I was a Nei-Saier with VR untill I tried it at a pary once, day after I went out and got my self a headsett and currently have bought several.

PC modding VR into games do absolute wonders and shows what works and what gets a bit too jank/hard; Im sure Sony is taking note there, and it just makes me glee of what the future holds for VR.

Sorry for the rant.

YukiOnna

Feels like Yoshida wouldn't have allowed it to happen when looking at the PSVR push back then. Regardless if true or not, the output and marketing for the hardware it offers has been disappointing.

Nydius

PSVR2 gonna do a lot better than many people think in a few years....
No it won't.

The last numbers I saw for the original PSVR was back in mid-2020 when they announced it sold 5 million units. That sounds like a lot until you consider that it was on an install base of 116 million (at the time) PS4 systems. Then it becomes apparent just how poorly it sold, despite their PR spin. That was with the PSVR unit being $400 and the console $250-$300. PSVR2 costs $100 more than a PS5. The total buy-in to play PSVR2 is over a thousand bucks while we're in a borderline global recession.

I don't know what Sony's internal expectations are but I highly doubt it's going to sell 5 million in 4 years like the original PSVR.

Last edited:
I don't know what Sony's internal expectations are but I highly doubt it's going to sell 5 million in 4 years like the original PSVR.
Maybe 1.5-2 million, if they're lucky.

Sure Jan GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
that price point is insane and they haven't show mind blowing AAA games.
The price is fine really. It’s still cheaper than years old valve index and way more capable.

But if we remove market of vr headsets from comparisons, then yeah. It is too expensive and other headsets too

Last edited:

reksveks

1) Takeshi has been wrong before and may be again
2) may get some information on Thursday via revised forecasts
3) it does feel like the wrong macro economic condition for the psvr2 price point

drezz

Drop it to $350, take the hit and watch it fly off shelves...but of course Sony wouldn't do that.
Or make it compatiable with pc, if they want too up the sold units counter.
Games pr unit will take a hit doh, but atleast they get more headsetts out there for the masses.

I'd sell my Quest 2(Or gift it to a friend) if we get PSVR2 running on PC.

Skyfox

I don't care what it costs but the only game that interested me was no mans sky which I've already played in psvr.

There is nothing else I want to play. The games announced are uninteresting to me.

I cancelled my preorder with gamestop on Sunday. I'm not paying 600 quid just for no mans sky again.

They've completely dropped the ball on software.

sinnergy

Well my feeling is VR hype is a bit over , like Kinect , the vr solutions aren’t that convenient yet. And to expensive.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure why Sony hasn’t allowed preorders at other US retail sites like Amazon. Clearly the launch stock hasn’t sold out yet, since you can still get day one preorders in from PS Direct

I doubt this product gets scalped

nashman

PSVR2 Very well end up a failure/small success. May only sell 5-10 mill lifetime. Won't spot me from enjoying the hell out of it.

reksveks

Not sure why Sony hasn’t allowed preorders at other US retail sites like Amazon. Clearly the launch stock hasn’t sold out yet, since you can still get day one preorders in from PS Direct
Profit margins, don't need to pay retailers a cut. They are trying to expand the PS Direct business.

gothmog

Gold Member
Seems like the right amount of hype to me. It's incredibly hard to sell things like this with traditional marketing. Hell, for the first one they had people bringing them from store to store to demo and make sure it was a good experience.

Launch day I have 3 friends coming over just to check out GT before they buy. If the headset is as impressive as advertised word of mouth will sell it. That's why they're launching now instead of during the holidays because they know it needs time to build demand.

Gambit2483

Or make it compatiable with pc, if they want too up the sold units counter.
Games pr unit will take a hit doh, but atleast they get more headsetts out there for the masses.

I'd sell my Quest 2(Or gift it to a friend) if we get PSVR2 running on PC.
I don't think that would do much for sales. Who's going to pay $500 for a VR headset that may or may not work flawlessly with PC VR games?

The problem ultimately is that this just isn't a mass market priced product. You can't ask people to drop that kind of money AFTER they have already spent $500 just for a handful of $40-$60 novel niche games that they may or may not spend more than 5 hrs playing.

It's different for PC based VR when you have cheaper headsets and cheaper games/experiences, some of which are free. The financial investment for the consumer makes much more sense.

Last edited:

Crayon

I don't care what it costs but the only game that interested me was no mans sky which I've already played in psvr.

There is nothing else I want to play. The games announced are uninteresting to me.

I cancelled my preorder with gamestop on Sunday. I'm not paying 600 quid just for no mans sky again.

They've completely dropped the ball on software.

The launch lineup is really good. You somehow only want no mans sky but that doesn't mean they dropped the ball.

Told you GT7 announcement was last minute attempt to boost the vr2 weak pre sales.......but no, nobody would listen.......

Nobody listened because it's an incredibly ridiculous assertion to speculate in the first place. There's definitely a company that seems to be frantic with getting content developed in a timely fashion, but that company definitely isn't Sony.

No matter the price the first few millions will sell.Later it is important that the price comes down for the mainstream market.After 3 years this headset should be around 299 Dollars with compelling software it would really start selling good.Sony should use the opportunity to market it to none gamers.With learning software cheap for example the Space and Astronomy or Visit the Dinosaurs and lean about their life all while being there would be amazing.Also this headset could be used to improve people with panic attacks or other problems.Someonewho is afraid of dogs can learn in VR to approach and lose their fear.lots of different potential

Hoppa

I’m getting it but honestly have seen nearly zero marketing for it other than CES and a few blog posts. I wasn’t even interested until a few weeks ago when a mate told me he had preordered.

I expected them to do a State of Play for it by the end of last year but that would’ve made too much sense and I should’ve known better. I know more about Deathpoop from PS promotions than I do VR2 and one of those things costs $500-$600

Varteras

Gold Member
Not surprised. People are just now able to get a PS5 when they want. Your install base is currently a bit lower than when the first headset dropped and that pricetag is a bit much to swallow for something you need another 400 to 500 dollar device to operate.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's fuckind dead Jim, probably going to do worse than the OG PSVR.

AS a huge VR advocate, I respect the effort Sony but the output just isn't there.

This thing will limp along for like a year or two and then be completely forgotten about. Its a shame becuase they've clearly invested billions into its design etc, just not the games for some strange reason.

Last edited:

drezz

Who's going to pay $500 for a VR headset that may or may not work flawlessly with PC VR games?
When I say compatiable with PC I mean work "flawlessly", and we have been and still are paying well above 500 for VR on pc.
Granted Quest 2 which hold over half the steam connected VR headsets is just under 500 for the 128GB(The 256gb is 500NOK(50usd) away from being priced as the PSVR2 here in Norway)
The problem ultimately is that this just isn't a mass market priced product.
Its a niche product and will be so for many many years; you dont grow a market the size of videogames over night, and the product is well above its weightclass in terms of the specs it has.
Sony could've taken a hit on the price, but no company is going too bleed THAT MUCH money for niche product's in this days.
I would've loved for them too push it at a lower price, but not at the cost of sacrificing the current specs...
already spent $500
If you intend to play PCVR then you'd be in deeper, if you only wanted standalone Quest 2 then sure... 299-499 but you get what you are paying for when running standalone.
You'd be better of waiting for Valve's next headset roumered too be standalone and BC with PC/Steam(Obviously if they go standalone) VR games(But again... it will not be cheap 299-499... we are talking 999+ for the fully standalone version)
novel niche games that they may or may not spend more than 5 hrs playing.
Well this is just what if's and I dont know about anyone that pork over 50-60usd's for MAYBE games they dont like / spend 5 hrs playing; and thoose that do obviously have money too throw away...
It's different for PC based VR when you have cheaper headsets and cheaper games/experiences, some of which are free. The financial investment for the consumer makes much more sense.
Yes on PC you have BC for your ever growing VR library and option too use cheaper headsets such as the Quest 2, but it is also many years old now and older specs in most of the departments, you want a better VR experience? You'll better off with higher priced headsets. Which the PSVR2 COULD'VE been if it was Compatible with PC and worked "flawlessly" and a good reason for people too go out and spend 550 on a propper VR headsett to play cheaper games/experiences and thus Increasing the sales of PSVR2.

Want cheap VR experiences?
Should've bought the Quest 2 3 years ago when it was 299 and used a fake facebook account.
Loads of free games on the side, but daaamn these standalone titles are showing their age and they are still coming.

reksveks

AS a huge VR advocate, I respect the effort Sony but the output just isn't there.
I suspect the 'output' will be there but I do wonder if it's going to be sharing a library of games with the quest.

Will be interesting to see how this changes next year.

z2gFQCf.jpg

Sadly we don't have the numbers for devs developing exclusively for a platform.

Godot25

Banned
Yeah. It is not surprising to anybody outside of "core PlayStation" fans.
It is a successor to the not that successful PlayStation VR (which had pretty pitiful attach rate to PS4), which costs 599,99€ without game (649,99 with Horizon) and for which you need another device (console) for 549,99€ in pretty dire economic situation.

When I first heard that Sony wants to make 2 million in the first quarter I laughed hard and I fully expected unsold headsets laying around in stores after 2-3 weeks. Seems like preorders are pretty dire.
Sony shot themselves in the foot by not offering native PC support that could massively boost up sales. Now they are competing for casuals which can have Meta Quest 2 for cheaper without need of external device and hardcore players who can just buy expensive VR headset and game on PC with better quality experience.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I’m going to bet you’ll be able to pick this up for £300 in 6 months time…
that price point is insane and they haven't show mind blowing AAA games.
It’s one of those unfortunate situations where it’s not actually overpriced, but it’s still too expensive.

Last edited:

drezz

No astro bot 2 for launch hurts my soul.

No lie, if that was there I would have been day one...no question.
Im still holding out hope for a pack in Astro experience.
The Playroom VR was a absolute blast with couch play, funny smaller couch games to entertain everybody and show what the hardware can do(Not just SP and solo VR user stuff).
But if they do... when?
If not, then its a damn shame and even more damning cause they have not ported over the older ones.

Zuzu

What do they expect when they hardly market it and offer a pretty lacklustre software lineup? Plus the high price.

BabyYoda

Banned
I love my Quest 2 (mainly for Beat Saber, if I'm honest), but VR is niche until it's a pair of glasses. The fact the PSVR2 is tethered is only going to work against it (plus the price and all the other usual VR downsides), it will keep the sales tethered also.

Don't expect many more sales than the PSVR1, I hope it does well though, cos I love VR and want it to succeed.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I mean, what else they've expected for overpriced HMD which lifespan will be at best 2 years (if that)? Not to mention that software for it will be old for the most, which you can play on PC using much less expensive and wireless HMDs (Quest 2)? They should've slashed the price by at least $120-150 instead of limiting output. DOA.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Some people seem really desperate to see VR fail....

Just don't buy it if you aren't interested in it.

Sony wouldn't bother with PSVR2 if PSVR1 hadn't been Profitable, and this time they are releasing it earlier than previous gen in a complete kit (no need to try to find move controllers).

They will have plenty of time until the gen ends to make profit from it and release games for it (people seem to forget that games take time to make...)

TonyK

Half life Alyx as launch title would have been more impactful, I think. I continue perceiving VR as for interactive experiences and minor games. I had the PSVR1, and the only game I played that felt like a real game I appreciated as a game and not only because the VR wow effect, was Resident evil VII.

Now, even the new VR Horizon game feels, not like Forbidden West, but as something minor made for VR.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm honestly not too surprised.

I don't think I've seen any excitement for psvr2, minus some glowing previews posted here.

I think more casual audience just isn't interested this time, as psvr1 had quite a lot of buzz & hype and everyone I personally know that purchased one, just left it to gather dust after RE7, hoping for another big triple a experience.

Hopefully Sony shows in the future that it is worth the investment, so far the stars of the show are definitely re4 remake and re village, what I'm genuinely surprised they haven't been showing off yet to advertise the device.

I just hope Sony doesn't abandon the device really quickly like the PS Vita, as it would really suck for those that invest in the hardware, as it certainly isn't cheap.

I’m reading some of the comments and not sure what some people expected. Launch line up is relatively great to be fair, GT7, RE8, Pavlov, Demeo, Switchback, Horizon and a bunch more. Headset price is what it is. £529 is quite steep but the tech seems to be there.

Oh and that shit about slashing the input is rubbish, Sony just pushed out another video yesterday showing off even more titles.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Oh and that shit about slashing the input is rubbish, Sony just pushed out another video yesterday showing off even more titles.
And what "showing off even more titles" have to do with slashing production of your headset? Sony know how many PSVR2 people preordered and they don't want to be in a situation where they try to overstock retailers or their own warehouses. Number was probably lower then they expected, so they reduced production. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ar¢tos

I’m reading some of the comments and not sure what some people expected. Launch line up is relatively great to be fair, GT7, RE8, Pavlov, Demeo, Switchback, Horizon and a bunch more. Headset price is what it is. £529 is quite steep but the tech seems to be there.

Don't you know?

This year's convention of Neckbeard Armchair Market Analysts is happening right now here in GAF!

Because Sony obviously didn't do any research on it.
Aren't we lucky to be hosting them? 🙂

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This article should not be trusted.

The journalist takashi has some serious grudge against sony for the past years , he always makes these fake figures ,look at his past "journalism"

SJRB

Gold Member
Sony's expectation of 2 million headsets in a quarter was overwhelmingly bad from the start.

They are going to get steamrolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom