• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

I don't trust the author, he always looks for sensationalism but it wouldn't surprise me, selling 2m units of a 600$ add-on in one month when the previous platform sold 4m LTD at 399$ was really ambitious.
I'd wait for official numbers though.

Mozza

Vr being pushed so much, but will never ever gain mass marked adoption in any or it's present forms. Even far more limited with wires.

Last edited:

Denton

Make it PC compatible with properly supported drivers and I’ll buy one. Right now.
Yep. Making expensive VR headset and restricting it to a single locked down platform that has no backlog of titles and no backwards compatibility is just idiotic. But making an expensive VR headset that works with existing PCVR software AND future PS5 VR software - that I would buy.

mdkirby

There’s recessionary pressures and they are releasing just after Xmas with a high price point, it’s not surprising. And the games are lacking. There’s only really call of the wild, then vr mode for gt7. I don’t care for racing games. So that’s one first party game. Then vr modes for a couple of big games like resident evil, but I’ve played the main game, it’s not new. Then just some of the usual suspects from the quest.

If they’d have bagged alyx then I bet preorders would have been higher. Lot of people wanted to play that but who either couldn’t afford or had no interest in a £3k pc.

Nico_D

I would get one but I haven't tried VR before so I won't pay that ridiculous price to see if I get nauseous or if I even like it. 400 € would the price I'd ve willing to pay for it.

Boss Man

Lack of software. Horizon VR ain’t it.

I’ve got mine pre-ordered though. Been waiting to jump back into VR.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I would get one but I haven't tried VR before so I won't pay that ridiculous price to see if I get nauseous or if I even like it. 400 € would the price I'd ve willing to pay for it.
You can always send it back. And if Amazon is allowed to sell PSVR2 you can buy one in their warehouse for a lower price. I remember hundreds of used PSVR on Amazon warehouse shortly after the release. Seems like many people had problems with motion sickness.

supernova8

Banned
I honestly wonder why Sony didn't opt to make PSVR2 compatible with PC.

They could still have Playstation exclusive VR titles but at the same time make it so that PC VR game developers can get their stuff up and running on PC via the PSVR2.
That might also push more VR developers to put their games on the Playstation-side of PSVR2 if they already optimized their titles to work with the headset.

There's probably some technical or business reason why they didn't do that but on the face of it, seems like a good idea to me.

reksveks

There's probably some technical or business reason why they didn't do that but on the face of it, seems like a good idea to me.
If you are making a loss on the BoM and Shipping then you will want to find a way to make money, this either is going to be via software revenue or playing the long game and growing the market so you can make money later down the road.

Sony can't directly get software revenue from PC users of the hardware. And growing the market is much more speculative.

They could still have Playstation exclusive VR titles but at the same time make it so that PC VR game developers can get their stuff up and running on PC via the PSVR2.
That might also push more VR developers to put their games on the Playstation-side of PSVR2 if they already optimized their titles to work with the headset.

Maybe it will be a case of "hmm, this thing isn't moving much in sales or getting us extra PS5 sales at all. Let's flip the PC compatibility switch and make a blog post."

Gobjuduck

Banned
~600 dollars for VR. ~1000 dollar buy in. Don’t understand how people are willing to spend that for Kinect quality games. I understand platform/brand loyalty, but this is one step away from enslavement.

They should rename Stockholm syndrome to Sony syndrome.

Alx

I don’t think this is even Sony’s fault, VR interest has been literally declining over the last five years.

You can see on Google the yearly interest spike around CES and it gets smaller every time, with the highest peak in 2018. VR will keep stagnating until some generational change occurs.
Yeah, VR is definitely not as hot as it used to be, especially compared to when the first PSVR released. At one point it seemed there was a lot of mindshare about it, the Oculus guy was the new symbol of Silicon Valley, Samsung phones would release with a VR shell, you'd have VR demos on all industrial conventions... Now the tech is still there but there's no major excitement about it. You have the niche gaming community using it, a few arcade-like locations for "original team-building seminars", and that's basically it.
It can always change of course (let's see if Apple can turn the tides), but as of now one shouldn't expect a generation-defining moment.
The metaverse disaster kinda ruined the VR hype
And vice versa, the lack of VR hype killed the metaverse.

Last edited:

drezz

~600 dollars for VR. ~1000 dollar buy in. Don’t understand how people are willing to spend that for Kinect quality games. I understand platform/brand loyalty, but this is one step away from enslavement.

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

I haven't agreed with much of their VR strategy to date.

This thing should have a roadmap for official PC support. With all the first-party VR games launching on PC as well.

They could easily sell more units of this to PC owners who have a larger install base than PS5.

I think it'll come, but not soon enough for a big launch.

Given the price point, the limited PS5 userbase, and the state of the global economy, it is of no surprise that these are flying off the shelves.

I still suspect a larger PC strategy looming and I think they're delaying stuff like PSVR on PC until they have a launcher and storefront available for PC.

I think we'll see it in the next 18-24 months, largely depending on when Spider-Man 2 comes to PC.

Ar¢tos

Thank you for taking time from your Xbox worshipping (I read your post history) to come shit at yet another Sony thread. For someone who only owns Xbox and PC you do seem to spend a lot of time in Playstation threads.

600$ is not much compared to non wireless pcvr and its actually cheaper than psvr1+camera+move controllers.

When a company launches a new tech device, first they cater to the enthusiasts that must have it and are willing to pay for it, some time later they do a new revision (some components may become cheaper, other can be replaced by cheaper ones) and they either cut price or increase value (more software is available by then and they can bundle some games).
Considering the gen barely started because of low availability of consoles, it's a bit early to make doom predictions.

If you are making a loss on the BoM and Shipping then you will want to find a way to make money, this either is going to be via software revenue or playing the long game and growing the market so you can make money later down the road.

Sony can't directly get software revenue from PC users of the hardware. And growing the market is much more speculative.

There is no way they are making PSVR2 hardware at a loss.

I think they are waiting for their PC Launcher/Storefront to adopt full PC compatibility, because that is going to be the primary source of their PC based revenue.

Also, it's one of the things that people really wait for word of mouth on, or try out in a store before making the plunge for. There aren't even reviews out for Horizon VR.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
There is plenty of software, but almost nothing that makes use of the power. The problem is, it's not worthwhile for devs to make full eye candy AAAs if there are not enough units out there. Also i don't think there are millions of high end pcs with high end VRs.

Most of the devs will play it safe and make games that will also run on the popular Quest and Pico and how much or how long Sony is willing to support PSVR2 with their first party studios is yet to be seen.

Godot25

Banned

I’ve got mine pre-ordered though. Been waiting to jump back into VR.
Well. It's chicken and egg situation.
Without strong software there will be no sales. Without strong sales there is no reason for Sony to support PSVR2 with software, mainly first-party. Because PSVR2 won't survive just on third-party software that can be also played on Meta Quest which is cheaper and you don't need PS5 for it to work.

sncvsrtoip

Terrible marketing based mostly on ps blog + not enough aaa games (to be honest only two: gt7 and quite old now Village). Price also is problem tough Im happy they went with highend hw.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
At the end of the day, these vr manufacturers keep pumping out higher and higher quality headsets, and this shit keep getting more and more expensive.

Just make one that is decent quality, not bleeding edge, and price it at $299 or 399 at the absolute most. And that's it.

You need adoption. You need people to make this an impulse purchase.
Not fucking $600. I mean, jesus. This industry is never gonna get anywhere with these headsets that crack $1000.

I think sony made the wrong move going with the best of the best of the best.
It needs to be cheap, medium spec and wireless.

OR high spec, expensive, and with the entire weight of AAA development behind it.

Since the last bit is never going to happen, it needs to be the first.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

^ it’s not just price or lack of big games. There’s also this.

I think even the price is not a big deal. People will spend that kind of money IF it’s something that’s really exciting and compelling (I remember all the articles about how expensive iPhone was circa 2007-2008).

I think the big question is whether this is the kind of thing people actually want to own and spend a lot of time with. So far the answer is no.

//DEVIL//

You don't know how Sony operates, clearly lol. They have been secretive about everything and their marketing tactic is to slowly build hype over time.

You don't throw together a mode in a few weeks for launch dude.
Eh they don't have SHIT for marketing tactics. If they had shit they would have showed it long time ago. Just like how they announced lots of their games like spider man 2, fraction ( not even one real in game pic lol ), wolverine and many others years before release.

This game is a quick after thoughts. It even looked like shit from off screen video ( which to be fair isn't great way to judge ).

Regardless, let's hope it's half decent. Not like the ( also rushed job back then ) First GT VR game where you had like one car against you or something stupid like that.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Detective, you forgot to mention my favorite console the switch.

hyperbole?
When a fairly new account with few posts make posts like yours I always check post history. Yours is just the typical veiled (and not so veiled) Xbox Astro turfing and PlayStation FUD spreading and trolling.
If you are serious about staying in this forum I suggest you grow up a bit or move to gamefaqs.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Eh they don't have SHIT for marketing tactics. If they had shit they would have showed it long time ago. Just like how they announced lots of their games like spider man 2, fraction ( not even one real in game pic lol ), wolverine and many others years before release.

This game is a quick after thoughts. It even looked like shit from off screen video ( which to be fair isn't great way to judge ).

Regardless, let's hope it's half decent. Not like the ( also rushed job back then ) First GT VR game where you had like one car against you or something stupid like that.
Applying the same logic of yours, do you also believe that Hi-Fi Rush is a rushed job that was put together quickly and released by Xbox to counter the "no games" narrative? 🤔

//DEVIL//

Applying the same logic of yours, do you also believe that Hi-Fi Rush is a rushed job that was put together quickly and released by Xbox to counter the "no games" narrative? 🤔
No. And a surprise release isn't that same as what is happening here.

Sony can have a conference today and announce mgs remake release date same day. Doesn't mean it was rushed.

But GT is not a none well known game like hi fi . Each game of the series is a heavy hitter and a hardware seller.

However, just like the old GT VR, not really much development was done on the first one. And the fact they didn't announce this say for example the same day they announced horizon call of the mountain ( at least an announcement not a trailer ) tells u nothing was ready.

Not saying this was done in 1 month of course. But clearly it started development way too late. Either that or the Polyphony sucks at development time ( like usual it takes forever for game ) and the time frame they got to release this is not enough for them so ( rushed job )

Last edited:

GenericUser

The price is not the main problem imo. The Problem is, that there are no killer apps and I don't want to wear a fucking headset while trying to enjoy a videogame.

UnNamed

Banned
You need a PS5 at 500€ which is also hard to find, then another 600€ for the device, and we should hope scalpers have no interest in it.

No wonder why Sony has to rethink to their sales.

Gobjuduck

Banned
PlayStation FUD spreading
Acting like gaf doesn’t operate on Xbox FUD, ignore my posts about switch and switch games. I see the narrative.

I don’t believe in VR or games as a premium. I have a difference of opinion where gaming should be going. I disagree with current VR trends across the board. Sony seems to be in a spot I disagree with in many cases.

1000 dollar entry point is outlandish. 600 dollar VR gear that will not work with anything but the PlayStation 5. It’s not backwards compatible. Two of the complaints towards the series memory card are parallel to PSVR2, but you won’t see that consistency here.

The low demand makes sense.

Seeing posts about “fake news” was funny and I responded with exaggeration and humor.

Last edited:

VivaR3V

Neo Member
At the end of the day, these vr manufacturers keep pumping out higher and higher quality headsets, and this shit keep getting more and more expensive.

Just make one that is decent quality, not bleeding edge, and price it at $299 or 399 at the absolute most. And that's it.

You need adoption. You need people to make this an impulse purchase.
Not fucking $600. I mean, jesus. This industry is never gonna get anywhere with these headsets that crack $1000.

I think sony made the wrong move going with the best of the best of the best.
This is why the Meta Quest will almost always be the better choice for most people, casuals especially. My GF has no interest in connecting cables, fiddling around. She just wants to do a workout or try to beat her beat saber score. She can put it on in any room and what’s more, it was relatively cheap as a pick up item in store. This isn’t the case with most other VR devices. I have VR2 on pre order, but I know it’s going to be pretty dead by the end of the year and that’s no problem for me. But most people want a cheap unit that’s easy to get going, not a super high spec device, unless it’s from Apple.

fermcr

I've said already and say it again... PlayStation VR2 is a gimmick. Not even Sony are that interested in making it more then a gimmick.

If Sony was really invested in VR2, all their biggest studios would be making exclusive VR games. Since that's not happening...

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No. And a surprise release isn't that same as what is happening here.

Sony can have a conference today and announce mgs remake release date same day. Doesn't mean it was rushed.

But GT is not a none well known game like hi fi . Each game of the series is a heavy hitter and a hardware seller.

However, just like the old GT VR, not really much development was done on the first one. And the fact they didn't announce this say for example the same day they announced horizon call of the mountain ( at least an announcement not a trailer ) tells u nothing was ready.

Not saying this was done in 1 month of course. But clearly it started development way too late. Either that or the Polyphony sucks at development time ( like usual it takes forever for game ) and the time frame they got to release this is not enough for them so ( rushed job )
At least be consistent. Otherwise, you just come across as a troll.
  • Sony announces GT 7 PS VR 2 ~50 days before release | "It's a rushed job and the game is a quick afterthought."
  • MS announces Hi-Fi Rush releases it without announcing it prior | "It's not a rush job, and it's totally fine, and not an afterthought."

As someone who has no interest in VR but is a big fan of Playstation studios, am I wrong to hope PSVR2 fails? Resources are finite when it comes to game development. Don't want any taken away from their console, even though I highly respect Sony's push for cutting edge experiences like PSVR2

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Main problem for me is the lock out of PCVR, I understand that this is a Playstation device, but I don't really see why that couldn't be also on PC. With that, given how PSVR fared, I don't feel like buying it (with PS5) and I am currently pretty big on PCVR.

As someone who has no interest in VR but is a big fan of Playstation studios, am I wrong to hope PSVR2 fails? Resources are finite when it comes to game development. Don't want any taken away from their console, even though I highly respect Sony's push for cutting edge experiences like PSVR2
Yes, because VR is amazing and we need more content, than less.

Ar¢tos

Acting like gaf doesn’t operate on Xbox FUD, ignore my posts about switch and switch games. I see the narrative.

I don’t believe in VR or games as a premium. I have a difference of opinion where gaming should be going. I disagree with current VR trends across the board. Sony seems to be in a spot I disagree with in many cases.

1000 dollar entry point is outlandish. 600 dollar VR gear that will not work with anything but the PlayStation 5. It’s not backwards compatible. Many of the complaints towards the series memory card is parallel to PSVR2, but you won’t see that consistency here.

The low demand makes sense.

Seeing posts about “fake news” was funny and I responded with exaggeration and humor.
If you think GAF is a anti-xbox, what are you doing here?
Complain to EviLore EviLore or one of the mods and report console war posts you see.
Just because you think GAF is anti-xbox that doesn't give you a free pass to shit on Playstation, stop acting like a 13yo kid. It's possible to like Xbox and not shit on Playstation and vice versa.
Stop with the veiled console wars posts, and if you don't even believe in VR go be constructive in a thread about something you believe in.

jm89

I've said already and say it again... PlayStation VR2 is a gimmick. Not even Sony are that interested in making it more then a gimmick.

If Sony was really invested in VR2, all their biggest studios would be making exclusive VR games. Since that's not happening...
How can you say it's a gimmick and not even used the product? They literally have horizon and gt7 coming for it, those our their 2 biggest franchises.

If it didn't make me sick as a dog there are games you could legit spends hours in. I spent ages playing vr table tennis, it's the truth.

Last edited:

hlm666

People bitch about sitting infront of a desk to play a pc game, just wanna sit on the comfy couch. How many of you pussies arn't buying in because you have to stand and move?

I jest, I'm not sure what they need to do to turn this around if true. Yeh the price isn't being reduced, I suspect the oled panels and eye tracking hardware are more expensive than we may think. Meta seems to be not using either of those in the quest 3 for instance. Maybe they should have skipped the eye tracking and oleds and tried to get to $300 price point, something the the hp g2 at like $350 would have still been a massive upgrade from psvr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom