• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbkicker

You can see this when its selling straight from sony direct and its still available now to order to get day 1, i dont think they will cut the amount they making but this thing isnt gonna sell the amount sony would hope, and not with the current software libary it releasing with, plus im sure after i paid for the original psvr later that yr the price was dropped and included three games in with it as it wasnt selling, i no a lot of people who bought quests for them or there kids at xmas and when asked did they not fancy the psvr2 and all i got back is its too expensive to try out vr

drezz

If Sony was really invested in VR2, all their biggest studios would be making exclusive VR games.
Can't do that without having 30+million headsets in hungry customers hands(Faces?).
Got to reach thoose numbers before flocking flatscreen devs over.
Until then, we eat of what we have now, and hybridgames such as GT,RE8,NMS and potentially future hybrid games such as(GTA6, Cod/Warzone2, FarCry7,etc) start rolling out.

As for their studios, I can see them do some fully hybrid games, but some games just isnt very good for VR, so maybe a mode here and there.

Lets take Spiderman 2 as an example.
Can't do all that acrobatic fighting thugs in VR(FPS) but maybe somewhat as over the shoulder?(Like we do on PCVR modding Spiderman™ Game too enable VR and playing normally but screen sees VR)
But that's not much different from just normally playing; with additional 3D we get when playing VR games.

How about a Swinging mode only?
FPS as spiderman swinging around their entire map(New York) and gazing at all the stock/default stuff that is going on... passivly(No enemies or missions).
And when you want too play, play normaly?
Just a little someting extra they could do too get some extra's for VR users until they develop something more... hybrid like?

It would be at least something... experience New York like that would be great... not 550€ great but... still a great.

Fox Mulder

It’s an expensive niche item locked to a ps5. Like $1000 total to get into it. The Quest 2 sold crazy at $399 and anyone can use it.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Can't do that without having 30+million headsets in hungry customers hands(Faces?).
Got to reach thoose numbers before flocking flatscreen devs over.
Until then, we eat of what we have now, and hybridgames such as GT,RE8,NMS and potentially future hybrid games such as(GTA6, Cod/Warzone2, FarCry7,etc) start rolling out.

As for their studios, I can see them do some fully hybrid games, but some games just isnt very good for VR, so maybe a mode here and there.

Lets take Spiderman 2 as an example.
Can't do all that acrobatic fighting thugs in VR(FPS) but maybe somewhat as over the shoulder?(Like we do on PCVR modding Spiderman™ Game too enable VR and playing normally but screen sees VR)
But that's not much different from just normally playing; with additional 3D we get when playing VR games.

How about a Swinging mode only?
FPS as spiderman swinging around their entire map(New York) and gazing at all the stock/default stuff that is going on... passivly(No enemies or missions).
And when you want too play, play normaly?
Just a little someting extra they could do too get some extra's for VR users until they develop something more... hybrid like?

It would be at least something... experience New York like that would be great... not 550€ great but... still a great.
Like the air races in Lego games, going through the rings, that could be fun for a small VR mode, but it would also get old quickly.

drezz

Like the air races in Lego games, going through the rings, that could be fun for a small VR mode, but it would also get old quickly.
And get some pictures for "The Daily Bugle" here and there.
Finding collectables(Backpacks again I guess), Time trails,etc.
The more passive stuff that doesnt start missions or fights.

There defenently are options too add with something as passive as that.
And thats just Spiderman.
Other games can add stuff as well, just need that extra commitment.

If helldivers are TPS... let VR players play in FPS?
Would love too check out the arsenal from Helldivers 1 in VR... I enjoyed spamming heavy weaponry... great memories.

Regardless!
Just need the commitment.
Small modes or big hybrid games.
We will just have to wait and see.

I also think bloomberg is wrong on the "Slashing".
I've only seen more and more hype and glee from the people trying out the headsett, if their source says it from Sony(And is correct) then they'd only have their marketing too blame, its been so very trickling...
Need a SOP for PSVR2 asap, imo.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Smart, save production for the version 2 they will launch less than a year later to fix some flaw that knew about but didn’t want to fix in version 1. Early adopters will just buy it again. History repeats.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Too many people here are overhyping VR the same way they did the SSD before launch, leading to disappointment for them when a $600 add-on remains extremely niche and not every game released supports it.

Nankatsu

Fool me once, don't fool me twice.

Price point is extremely high and the games catalogue is missing that one true AAA to push the device.

That game is not Horizon Call of the Montain despite Sony making it sound like it is.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • Bloomberg comes up with its own fictitious 2 million forecast figure.
  • Bloomberg then reports that it is not enough.
  • Bloomberg then reports that Sony is now slashing that forecast.
All of that when Sony has never shared any forecast, let alone slashed it.

Sony:

krHPu9K.png

TBiddy

It's a giant surprise that not many people wants to pay $550 for that. VR is still a gimmick and will remain that way, especially at that price. It's insane.

Unknown?

There’s not many interested in tethering to their console, I’d expect. That’s why I’m not interested, yet I use my Quest 2 all the time.
I could care less about your opinion. I was pointing out how poorly they've been lately. I remember them making some claim at PS5 launch that was way wrong. Can't remember exactly what it was though.

reksveks

There is no way they are making PSVR2 hardware at a loss.

I think they are waiting for their PC Launcher/Storefront to adopt full PC compatibility, because that is going to be the primary source of their PC based revenue.

Also, it's one of the things that people really wait for word of mouth on, or try out in a store before making the plunge for. There aren't even reviews out for Horizon VR.
I am not sure about loss but don't believe it's good margin (obviously that's subjective). They were forecasted a drop in margin at the beginning of the FY and imo, that was due to increased HW revenue including PSVR2.

The fundamental point still stands as you basically say, they don't have a way to make good profit of pc users of the psvr2 hw.

mxbison

Too many people here are overhyping VR the same way they did the SSD before launch, leading to disappointment for them when a $600 add-on remains extremely niche and not every game released supports it.

Finally someone came up with an even worse comparison than 3DTV's.

Bond007

I mean- its expensive but correct me if im wrong, but ive only seen this preorder available directly through Sony. So what are they expecting?
It stopped me, i would have gone through Amazon- now i will wait post launch.

Mr.ODST

Remember seeing all those posts recently how excited they were that PSVR2 was the next big thing and the best thing to come out, with that pricing this thing is dead within 2 years easily

FeralEcho

Jim stays winning...oh wait...

600$ price point in addition to needing the PS5 is damn suicide.Wtf were they thinking...They first need to make VR mainstream for this shit to take off and then they can add in extra powerful machines to enhance the experience.If they go with a 1000$ device well then ofcourse it ain't gonna fly off the shelves.

Last edited:

midnightAI

And around and around and around we go...

Why is PSVR 2 $550? because that's the price Sony put on it
Why is there not a bajillion first party releases at launch? because there are 2 first party games at launch and over 30 third party games
Why doesn't it work on PC? because it works on the PS5
Why is it wired and not wireless? because it requires a wire
Why is it not backwards compatible? because Sony didn't add backwards compatibility with PSVR 1

People can whinge and moan all they like, but it isn't going to change anything

(Now, back to the article....... what a load of bollocks)

MayauMiao

Even my brother who owns the unit never touched it again and he bought quite a number of PC VR units, and now all of it just sits there gathering dust.

I wouldn't even use it even if he lend it too me. Its just too troublesome to set up to the point that the experience of using it is off putting.

Mr.ODST

And around and around and around we go...

Why is PSVR 2 $550? because that's the price Sony put on it
Why is there not a bajillion first party releases at launch? because there are 2 first party games at launch and over 30 third party games
Why doesn't it work on PC? because it works on the PS5
Why is it wired and not wireless? because it requires a wire
Why is it not backwards compatible? because Sony didn't add backwards compatibility with PSVR 1

People can whinge and moan all they like, but it isn't going to change anything

(Now, back to the article....... what a load of bollocks)
Not exactly bollocks is it when you can still preorder the PSVR2, the biggest issue is there is alot to make it WORTH that £550 price point ontop of a £450 console

midnightAI

Even my brother who owns the unit never touched it again and he bought quite a number of PC VR units, and now all of it just sits there gathering dust.

I wouldn't even use it even if he lend it too me. Its just too troublesome to set up to the point that the experience of using it is off putting.
Wow, cool where did he get PSVR 2 from so early?

jm89

Whether its true or not, we might find out this week. I think their quarterly financial are out this week.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Quest 2 is eating a much bigger loss than many imagine, Sony isn't going to do that.

All the stuff they put in the Quest 2 is expensive compared to a PSVR2. I suspect Sony wants to be profitable day 1 on the unit.

So you think 4K OLED panels with a larger field of view and eye tracking capabilities are cheaper than LCDs that run at a lower resolution, smaller field of view, and no eye tracking?

No way are they taking less of a hit.

midnightAI

Not exactly bollocks is it when you can still preorder the PSVR2, the biggest issue is there is alot to make it WORTH that £550 price point ontop of a £450 console
So? they are making 2 million of the things just because they haven't sold out doesn't mean it isn't selling well and they need to cut production (which isnt the way it works anyway as these would have been ordered a good while ago and will already be made). And, well, Takashi/Bloomberg, since when do they get anything right?

AngelMuffin

At the end of the day, these vr manufacturers keep pumping out higher and higher quality headsets, and this shit keep getting more and more expensive.

Just make one that is decent quality, not bleeding edge, and price it at $299 or 399 at the absolute most. And that's it.

You need adoption. You need people to make this an impulse purchase.
Not fucking $600. I mean, jesus. This industry is never gonna get anywhere with these headsets that crack $1000.

I think sony made the wrong move going with the best of the best of the best.
I believe their initial price point was to be set at $399 but was bumped up due to chip shortages, etc. Let the early adopters pay the $549 as I’m sure sales will stagnate after the first few months and we’ll be looking at a $399 price point come the holidays along with a much better library.

//DEVIL//

At least be consistent. Otherwise, you just come across as a troll.
  • Sony announces GT 7 PS VR 2 ~50 days before release | "It's a rushed job and the game is a quick afterthought."
  • MS announces Hi-Fi Rush releases it without announcing it prior | "It's not a rush job, and it's totally fine, and not an afterthought."
I believe I pretty much explained why they are different in my previous post. St least this is what I think.

Not gonna explain again otherwise we are doing circles lol.

Also, even if it's a rushed job. Doesn't mean it's gonna be horrible game. It could be a surprise hit or maybe midcore. But not necessary something horrible. Time will tell.

If anything, Sony is the best out of all companies when it comes to handling their studios. And their output so far is much superior than Nintendo and MS ( again this is my opinion).

Codes 208

If it had games like blade and sorcery, half-life: alyx and bonelab (all with mod support)

Then I’d feel more inclined to even consider it. But as for now if i want my VR fix, thats what my quest 2 + pc tether are for

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I believe I pretty much explained why they are different in my previous post. St least this is what I think.

Not gonna explain again otherwise we are doing circles lol.

Also, even if it's a rushed job. Doesn't mean it's gonna be horrible game. It could be a surprise hit or maybe midcore. But not necessary something horrible. Time will tell.

If anything, Sony is the best out of all companies when it comes to handling their studios. And their output so far is much superior than Nintendo and MS ( again this is my opinion).
You're assuming it's an afterthought but discounting the fact that they could have timed this news to build on the momentum and increase the hype for their product.

Pre-orders usually happen in waves. It's important to keep them going for each new wave with a new big announcement.

You're reading too much into the timing of the announcement. The timing may not make sense to you, but it made sense for Sony. They have the data to see how pre-orders are coming in, and how long they can wait before announcing the next piece of news to recapture the mindshare.

MayauMiao

You plug one wire in, hardly troublesome to set up (unlike PSVR 1)

You also need good amount of room space (not all of us live in a mansion) and having wire attached to your head while trying to move about freely like you're in a virtual world is just off putting especially after trying out Quest 2 (which my brother also happens to own).

Too bad the horrible Facebook mandatory killed it.

//DEVIL//

You're assuming it's an afterthought but discounting the fact that they could have timed this news to build on the momentum and increase the hype for their product.

Pre-orders usually happen in waves. It's important to keep them going for each new wave with a new big announcement.

You're reading too much into the timing of the announcement. The timing may not make sense to you, but it made sense for Sony. They have the data to see how pre-orders are coming in, and how long they can wait before announcing the next piece of news to recapture the mindshare.
Alright . Let's make a friendly bet. I say it's a rushed job and you say it isn't. Let's see what the general public score will give it.

How does that sound ? Lol

Freeman76

I would have been day.one on this but no BC means they can fuck right off. No way im dropping over 500 notes on something when I cant play the 30 odd games I bought for the first one on it.

• Bloomberg comes up with its own fictitious 2 million forecast figure.
  • Bloomberg then reports that it is not enough.
  • Bloomberg then reports that Sony is now slashing that forecast.
All of that when Sony has never shared any forecast, let alone slashed it.

Sony:

krHPu9K.png
This. Unless someone has another source, this is just Bloomberg circle jerking itself for something to write that'll get clicks.

Rudius

You also need good amount of room space (not all of us live in a mansion) and having wire attached to your head while trying to move about freely like you're in a virtual world is just off putting especially after trying out Quest 2 (which my brother also happens to own).

On the other hand Quest will feel very outdated after using PSVR2: cheap LCD screens, small FoV, no HDR, PS2 graphics, sub native resolutions etc.

The Grid Legends port and Resident Evil 4 will look archaic next to GT7 and RE8.

yurinka

Sounds like another Bloomberg article mading up lies bad news and FUD about Sony. Specially suspicious when posted the day before of Sony's finantial report, where pretty likely they'll share record numbers.

I wonder if Sony will publicly debunk Bloomberg AGAIN (it's almost a tradition) or if simply will wait to announce launch sales, or mention their quarterly shipment estimation tomorrow in their financial report.

Whether its true or not, we might find out this week. I think their quarterly financial are out this week.
Sony will show their quarterly financial report in a day or two (February 2nd for Japan) and pretty likely SIE will post record numbers there. This may be the reason of why Bloomberg posted this -very likely fake news- article today.

Not saying about PSVR2 but more like the reason why PSVR2 don't get much pre-orders based on previous unit.
We don't know the amount of preorders they got for this or their previous unit.

Bloomberg has zero credibility when throwing shit to Sony specially regarding manufacturing and shipping, Sony even publicly debunked them multiple times.

I believe their initial price point was to be set at $399 but was bumped up due to chip shortages, etc. Let the early adopters pay the $549 as I’m sure sales will stagnate after the first few months and we’ll be looking at a $399 price point come the holidays along with a much better library.
Big inflation and fuel price increases skyrocketed shipment prices, plus covid also skyrocketed components pricing due to chips shortages etc. Pretty likely they increased an initially lower pricing as happened with pretty much every other high end hardware being sold at a loss.

But still with the current pricing, it's cheaper than the price of the required PSVR1 components when it released. And also cheaper than the other high end VR headsets.

The idea of having preorders is to get a better idea of the demand and adjust your marketing and production/shipments accordingly over what they already estimated.

Preorders don't sell out unless they go beyond the amount of units they are able to produce for launch. So having preorders available only means that demand is on a manageable level for them.

So? they are making 2 million of the things
Sony didn't announce how many units are they making for launch, we don't know the numbers.

And, well, Takashi/Bloomberg, since when do they get anything right?
As I remember Sony publicly debunked 'Sony bad news' articles from them at least 2 or 3 times, and they typically make an effort to make sound any Sony news in the worst way possible. Their info regarding Sony has zero credibility.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
This. Unless someone has another source, this is just Bloomberg circle jerking itself for something to write that'll get clicks.
I'm that other source. The Asian businessmen in Robocop 3 told me this was true and they are also phasing out the Walkman for a portable device that plays music CDs. Wild!

Ozriel

M$FT
IMO, Only Apple can make AR/VR popular because of their loyal fanbase who will buy just about anything from them.

Not unless they make a consumer priced device.

not much chance of popular, mass market success for any device costing more than $1200.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I can’t remember, didn’t he lowball the ps4 production numbers?

Edit: what about the switch pro? Or switch with dlss.

BQNnMIz.png
I don't think that he only said that a new switch was coming there where many people talking about it. And Nintendo probably canceled it due to covid.

midnightAI

I personally never had an issue with the cable on PSVR 1 once you have the headset on, and this time the cable will be a lot thinner and lighter. Most games aren't room scale so space isnt usually an issue.

Amiga

I wanted to pre-order but it's only directly from Sony. I want a store pickup.

Bundle this with the console for $999.99 . Instead of cutting the projections the sales would be double the original estimates at 4 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom