• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon

Tiamat2san

Great game with a fantastic music.
I like the fact that when you spend the time grinding you are an unstoppable killing machine at the end.

Nautilus

Banned
You seem to have poor reading comprehension, the issue was never if the games sold "most" in the west it's what they SOLD in the west. There are games that sold 200k in japan and 300k in the west, are those "great" numbers? No, stop being silly.

Japans CONSOLE industry is in a pretty bad spot.

My point still stands that MOST Jrpgs don't sell well int he west, that there are only some exceptions to that rule, and it hasn't changed since 1997, Jrpgs have never actually seen any real growth in the west. because some games sold more in the west after selling poorly in japan means nothing. How many Jrpgs sell over 1 million copies in the west? How many sell over 500k?

Half the Jrpgs mentioned by people here and the other forum place don't sell shit.

Nothing has changed since 1997, most Jrpgs outside Japan, don't sell great nmebrs int he west, there are some exceptions, and handful of "wells" and the rest are all worse. It's not about whether very few Jrpgs sell "more" in the west than in Japan, and still not sell that great majority of the time.

No the issue is in Japan, there are several great selling Jrpgs there, and not in the US.

If you read in context, properly, of what I responded to in my first post, it was a comment about remastering Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon with the user saying "there's an audience for these games these days" which is false, and implied that there is some growth in Jrpg interest in US consumers that would cause more people to legit buy Lost Odyssey if it was rereleased as a remaster. There is not.

As i said at best you could get some additional initial sales due to curiosity and the gamepass format but otherwise, someone actually wanting to go and buy a Lost Odyssey remaster won't do much better than how it sold on the 360 and it's rerelease later.

There's constant ever gen some make believe that there's some significant Jrpgs growth when there isn't in the west, the exceptions that aren't from a staple company like Square, just rotate each gen, nothing actually expands.

This gen will be another rotation, and the biggest great sellers on consoles will once again as usually likely be Square associated games again.

it's not knocking Jrpgs, but consumers here aren't particularly fond of them outside the same exceptions over and over.
WTF are you talking about?All those games I mentioned sold WAY over 1 million. KH 3 is almost at 7 million. Persona 5 is above 5 million. SMT V did 1 million by the end of 2021 and is still selling. Nier Automata is at 5 million. Dark Souls is Dark Souls. Even more niche stuff like Octopath Traveler did 2,5 million, and that figure is more than a year old. I just proved, by a third time, that JRPGs aren't some niche genre that sells only 300 k or 400k in the west.They sell MILLIONS.

And Japans console situation is not bad, its just that Sony and MS hasn't been up to the task of comming up with something that caters to them. And we have finally proof of that: With the launch of the Switch. Creating a hybrid system was a masterstroke by Nintendo, and the Switch is on its way to become THE best selling console. All Nintendo did was create something that its audience actually demanded. I love my PS, but its fundamentally the same concept since the PS2.

Yes ? 500k is a lot and can be largely enough to turn a profit.
Talk about entering a conversation without getting the context, the answer in this case would be no. You are arguing my point entirely about small sales or niche sales for profit, those aren't the type of games sales being implied in the conversation. As well as US sales of Jrpgs. Which are generally low, which based on this, you would agree, (profit and niche targeting aside) , and that there are only a few big sellers, a few wells sellers, and most Jrpgs don't really sell in large numbers at all.

WTF are you talking about?All those games I mentioned sold WAY over 1 million. KH 3 is almost at 7 million.

Is a Square game, have better reading comprehension.

Persona 5 is above 5 million

What are the US numbers? Why are you being obtuse?

SMT V did 1 million by the end of 2021 and is still selling.
Good job ignoring the "outside of Japan" I not only said upfront but then emphasized more than once.

Jrpgs are a niche genre outside of Japan just like fighting games..

On second though, Fighting games did better last gen than Jrpgs did outside of Japan with major sellers now that I think about it.

Your last point of denying the collapse of Japans console market, which has been known for years since before XBO/PS4 launched, is baffling. The Switch doesn't prove anything about the console market, it in fact proves the opposite, that Nintendo needed to consolidate to expand the 3DS issues and also compete with mobile.

The software sales are also quite a bit worse, despite the sales and the "demand" for the new consoles.

Nautilus

Banned
Talk about entering a conversation without getting the context, the answer in this case would be no. You are arguing my point entirely about small sales or niche sales for profit, those aren't the type of games sales being implied in the conversation. As well as US sales of Jrpgs. Which are generally low, which based on this, you would agree, (profit and niche targeting aside) , and that there are only a few big sellers, a few wells sellers, and most Jrpgs don't really sell in large numbers at all.

Is a Square game, have better reading comprehension.

What are the US numbers? Why are you being obtuse?

Good job ignoring the "outside of Japan" I not only said upfront but then emphasized more than once.

Jrpgs are a niche genre outside of Japan just like fighting games..

On second though, Fighting games did better last gen than Jrpgs did outside of Japan with major sellers now that I think about it.

Your last point of denying the collapse of Japans console market, which has been known for years since before XBO/PS4 launched, is baffling. The Switch doesn't prove anything about the console market, it in fact proves the opposite, that Nintendo needed to consolidate to expand the 3DS issues and also compete with mobile.

The software sales are also quite a bit worse, despite the sales and the "demand" for the new consoles.
That's some next level denial right there.

Why are you leaving Square out of this?JRPGs are JRPGs. And why just US numbers?The US is not the west, nor the rest of the world.KH did 7 million and counting. Persona 5 did more than 5 million worldwide. SMT V did more than 1 million, and since apparently you can't properly read what I said earlier, it did that worldwide. I'm not gonna fetch the numbers for you, they are easily available, but looking at famitsu, SMT V did around 200K in japan.Meaning that 80% of its sales came outside of japan.

And that's just the ones you mentioned. You conveniently forgot all the other ones that I mentioned that sold millions, and whose 80% or more of its sales came overseas. I'll repeat them here again: Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade, Tales Of, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest(XI sold at least 2 million units overseas), Pokemon, Dark Souls, Elden Ring, Nioh, Nier Automata, etc etc.

For numbers, just do a quick google search, of both the japanese and worldwide numbers. I'm not gonna do it for ya, seeing its easy enough to do.

But I'll bet you will just ignore the hard facts I have pointed out to you and keep living inside that bubble that has bursted a long time ago.

And sure, Japan's console market is in such a decline that the Switch is on its road to be the best selling console of all time . Scratch that, the Switch is on its way to be the best selling console of all time everywhere, Japan eating it up, and Japan is declining?

LOL

The hard truth is that Sony completely dropped the ball with Japan, and turned its back to it, and stopped doing software and hardware that appealed to them, resulting in this: PS5 is in its way to be the worst selling PS console of all time. Probably even worse than the all mighty Vita.

But yeah, keep living in that delusion.

That's some next level denial right there.

Why are you leaving Square out of this?

I'm not leaving them about hey are literally part of my argument that's is them and a select exceptions every gen that end up being big console sellers for Jrpgs, which I've mentioned numerous times now ad you still aren't getting. it's a niche genre outside Japan, especially in the US.

and since apparently you can't properly read what I said earlier, it did that worldwide.
Argument was not worldwide from he start so good job showing YOU didn't read.

SMT V did around 200K in japan.Meaning that 80% of its sales came outside of japan.

I never argued that Jrpgs didn't in some cases, sell more outside of Japan, that's something you brought up out of nowhere, and i already mentioned this in the last post you didn't read too. The issue is the amount (btw your numbers are wrong anyway) it sold outside japan, especially in the US, which is low. Because it's a niche.

Even if we were to take your wrong SMTV numbers, just using this game as an example, at heart, how much of that is in US? 300k? it would be using your number 800k worldwide, so what is Europe+US? 350k? 450k?

Let's use 450k, how many Jrpgs sell over 400k in Europe+NA? A handful or two? How about just US? What did it sell 300k? How many Jrpgs sell over 300k? Most of them don't.

Even the games you are listed, two of which don't count because i said consoles, and Darksouls/Elden Ring aren't the same type of games, but even if we included those in your dumb reply guess what? You proved my point entirely.

The argument has been that there have only been each console gen only some big selling jrpgs, Square is always present among these and there's others that rotate in. There's a handful that do well for what they are, and the majority all do low numbers, bad numbers, are purposefully target niches.

And that's using the games YOU brought up, so it's actually worse in reality when you actually do this correctly.

You haven't said a single thing to debunk that fact. Jrpgs are no more mainstream then they were in the post-97 PSX era. At best the non-Square players are just rotating around, with some Square stuff fluctuating in sales but still at the top of the totem poll. .

When fighting games are having better averages I think it's time to admit that there's no actual "growth" in Jrpgs, the sales are just rotating around a fluctuating square and other players.

Last Gen just the top 10 fighting games greatly outsold the top 10 Jrpgs, a genre that WAS generally more niche by a good margin before outside select franchises. not only did the two swap, but fighters gained. If anything Jrpgs proper are SHRINKING in whatever share they had in the US, and likely the west in general.

And sure, Japan's console market is in such a decline that the Switch is on its road to be the best selling console of all time . Scratch that, the Switch is on its way to be the best selling console of all time everywhere, Japan eating it up, and Japan is declining?

being dumb about he switch and acting like it's not primarily used as a portable there is nonsense. Nintendo killed their traditional console industry to have a united front to compete with mobile there and also to have something for TV players, to act liked he Switch in Japan is being treated the same as the Xbox Series and PS5 is incredibly stupid.

The software sales of the other consoles show this, as they did last gen. The Switch replaces Japans love for portables, that didn't vanish because they didn't have a Wii U traditional home console successor this gen, I doubt you're that clueless.

And this is with Xbox Series X and PS5 having shortages and are having difficulties meeting demand and are selling at a fast pace.

The hard truth is that Sony completely dropped the ball with Japan, and turned its back to it, and stopped doing software and hardware that appealed to them, resulting in this: PS5 is in its way to be the worst selling PS console of all time. Probably even worse than the all mighty Vita.
You must be trolling this entire time to think the PS5 won't pass Vita when it's already near halfway there.

Nautilus

Banned
I'm not leaving them about hey are literally part of my argument that's is them and a select exceptions every gen that end up being big console sellers for Jrpgs, which I've mentioned numerous times now ad you still aren't getting. it's a niche genre outside Japan, especially in the US.

Argument was not worldwide from he start so good job showing YOU didn't read.

I never argued that Jrpgs didn't in some cases, sell more outside of Japan, that's something you brought up out of nowhere, and i already mentioned this in the last post you didn't read too. The issue is the amount (btw your numbers are wrong anyway) it sold outside japan, especially in the US, which is low. Because it's a niche.

Even if we were to take your wrong SMTV numbers, just using this game as an example, at heart, how much of that is in US? 300k? it would be using your number 800k worldwide, so what is Europe+US? 350k? 450k?

Let's use 450k, how many Jrpgs sell over 400k in Europe+NA? A handful or two? How about just US? What did it sell 300k? How many Jrpgs sell over 300k? Most of them don't.

Even the games you are listed, two of which don't count because i said consoles, and Darksouls/Elden Ring aren't the same type of games, but even if we included those in your dumb reply guess what? You proved my point entirely.

The argument has been that there have only been each console gen only some big selling jrpgs, Square is always present among these and there's others that rotate in. There's a handful that do well for what they are, and the majority all do low numbers, bad numbers, are purposefully target niches.

And that's using the games YOU brought up, so it's actually worse in reality when you actually do this correctly.

You haven't said a single thing to debunk that fact. Jrpgs are no more mainstream then they were in the post-97 PSX era. At best the non-Square players are just rotating around, with some Square stuff fluctuating in sales but still at the top of the totem poll. .

When fighting games are having better averages I think it's time to admit that there's no actual "growth" in Jrpgs, the sales are just rotating around a fluctuating square and other players.

Last Gen just the top 10 fighting games greatly outsold the top 10 Jrpgs, a genre that WAS generally more niche by a good margin before outside select franchises. not only did the two swap, but fighters gained. If anything Jrpgs proper are SHRINKING in whatever share they had in the US, and likely the west in general.
Not only you moved goalposts two or three times in this single post, you also proved my point.

But first thing first: This discussion was always about worldwide numbers, its you that started saying "US! US!" midway through it. Plus, what does it matter if it sells in the US, Europe or in Mexico?They are all in the "west" and by your own arguments, regions where JRPGs are niche.

Second: No, Dark Souls is a JRPG. Just because its action JRPG doesn't make it any less JRPG. They are from Japan, and their games are JRPGs.And if my numbers regardding anything here, including SMT V, is wrong, then please do post the correct ones! And on that note, EU and US are the biggest markets outside of Japan. If SMT V did ~ 800K worldwide, chances are that it did most of these sales on those regions.

But adressing the core now:What bad numbers?The 2,5 million of Octopath?The more than 5 million of Persona 5?The more than 5 million of Nier Automata?

Its weird that you want to single out THE publisher that is known for JRPGs because thats where they made their fame, but fine. Here is other companies highly successful with JRPGs: From Software with Darksouls, each entry doing more than 10 millions. Nintendo:Xenoblade 2 doing around 2,5 million, Fire Emblem Three Houses doing far more than 3 million, Pokemon. Capcom: Monster Hunter that nor regulary does far more than 10 million each entry, Dragons Dogma did about 6 million units(even if it took almost a decade for that).Bandai: Tales Of usually does more than 2 million and Arise seems that it will do 3 easily, maybe 4.Atlus: Persona 5 did 5 million, and SMT V did at least 1 million, probably will do 2 million.Koei Tecmo: Nioh 1 and 2 did 3 million each, if I'm not mistaken.

And that's only just A FEW examples, and also ignoring the biggest JRPG dev, which is Square.

You have ZERO grounds on which to stand upon, so you keep moving goalposts. Pretty sure the next one you'll move is that JRPGs are only the games that have turn based combat lol.

Nautilus

Banned
being dumb about he switch and acting like it's not primarily used as a portable there is nonsense. Nintendo killed their traditional console industry to have a united front to compete with mobile there and also to have something for TV players, to act liked he Switch in Japan is being treated the same as the Xbox Series and PS5 is incredibly stupid.

The software sales of the other consoles show this, as they did last gen. The Switch replaces Japans love for portables, that didn't vanish because they didn't have a Wii U traditional home console successor this gen, I doubt you're that clueless.

And this is with Xbox Series X and PS5 having shortages and are having difficulties meeting demand and are selling at a fast pace.

You must be trolling this entire time to think the PS5 won't pass Vita when it's already near halfway there.
Lol

The Switch is a hybrid console that can be used as both:As a home console or a handheld console.Its always been like that.

So in that sense, Nintendo never abandoned the console industry, as a few vocal minority like to say, they simply evolved it. And at least in Japan, Sony was never able to catch up with Nintendo. MS always had problems there, but its almost always have been because of its software, so that's a different story.

And that's just the hard cold truth:Nintendo is having its best generation in Japan(and worldwide) because it dared to innovate while its competitors prefered to played it safe, and as a result the Switch is on its way to be the best selling console of all time.Everywhere.

But since now that Nintendo is the current market leader, people come up with this nonsense narrative that Nintendo is not competing directly, as these same few people do whenever Nintendo is ahead. And this kind of bs is especially funny when the Switch, and the games released in it, are breaking sales records left and right.

Japan hardware industry is declining by being successful.lol

Krathoon

There was a time when Microsoft was supporting JRPGS. I guess the bottom fell out.
You don't see that anymore. They abandoned it like XNA.

Microsoft has a habit of abandoning things. I don't quite like it that they bought so many game studios.

Not only you moved goalposts two or three times in this single post
Prove I moved the goal posts or admit you lost the argument and you confirm you have poor reading comprehension. I didn't move jack, I've been consistent from the start. You're the only one adding qualifiers.

They are from Japan, and their games are JRPGs.

You dumb dumb man. Don't even understand the meaning of the terms you're using.

https://www.ign.com/articles/1996/11/22/beyond-the-beyond
I was actually looking forward to playing the first Japanese-style RPG for the PlayStation
https://www.ign.com/articles/1997/09/04/final-fantasy-vii
To begin with, FF7 is longer than every console RPG to date.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/final-fantasy-vii-review/1900-2547583/
And if you enjoy a good Japanese-style RPG, chances are you will agree
https://www.rpgfan.com/review/shadow-madness/
The storyline of Shadow Madness is perhaps its strongest point. Although it never gets really deep, it moves along at a consistent and strong pace, and its fantasy-horror theme is relatively uncommon in traditional console RPGs

Shadow Madness was made in US btw.

https://www.rpgfan.com/review/septerra-core-legacy-of-the-creator/
With the division between PC and Console RPGs blurring, thanks to original games such as Diablo and Baldur’s Gate, and to Square’s ports of some of its Final Fantasy titles

It was never about location, although you seem to be one of those clueless ones who believe JRPG is based on region and not on the style, JRPG and WRPG are just evolutions of Console and Computer rpgs. (No one was calling those Japanese remakes of the Wizardry titles JRPGS/Console rpgs for example, on PSX)

Hard to have an argument when you don't even know what you're arguing.

Its weird that you want to single out THE publisher that is known for JRPGs

Never singled them out, you clearly can't read, are a liar, or are deluded and making yourself believe you saw something different than reality, and I literally addressed this dumb claim in the last post you didn't read.

You are clearly showing that you're a bad faith actor at this point, but I'd like to see these imaginary goal posts moves though still.

There was a time when Microsoft was supporting JRPGS. I guess the bottom fell out.
You don't see that anymore. They abandoned it like XNA.

Microsoft has a habit of abandoning things. I don't quite like it that they bought so many game studios.
Yes, abandoned, not that they had a whole slew of Jrpgs for years that all flopped and left it to third parties, abandoned. What???

Lol

The Switch is a hybrid console
That's great, it is mainly used as a portable in Japan, Japan has been known for portables being the primary format for their gaming market since the late 2000's, at best you are being disingenuous but I think there may be a bigger problem with you here.

So in that sense, Nintendo never abandoned the console industry,
Sounds like you're trying to cope ironically.

But since now that Nintendo is the current market leader, people come up with this nonsense narrative that Nintendo is not competing directly, a
Nintendo has been the market leader with their portables since post-GBA, even when compared to consoles. Something you seem to not be mentally capable of comprehending.

MS always had problems there, but its almost always have been because of its software, so that's a different story.
No, that's not the reason at all, and the early 360 proved this.

Japan hardware industry is declining by being successful.lol

There you go ironically moving those goal posts. Hardware wasn't the claim, the CONSOLE industry was declining, and still is.

Goes to show how important Sakaguchi and Uematsu were for the quality of Final Fantasy.
Sakaguchi has the midas touch, convince me otherwise.
Would love to see a remaster of BD and LO. Absolutely want that to happen.
yes. The thing is Sakaguchi doesn't like to look back, only forward.

Someone would have to contact him and get the people to do it without his involvement.

It's sadly what will most likely keep The Fantasian exclusive forever. And not Apple shenanigans.
to begin with, FF7 is longer than every console RPG to date.
The fuck did I just read? And why the link? what's it supposed to prove? all those links are meaningless.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Prove I moved the goal posts or admit you lost the argument and you confirm you have poor reading comprehension. I didn't move jack, I've been consistent from the start. You're the only one adding qualifiers.

You dumb dumb man. Don't even understand the meaning of the terms you're using.

https://www.ign.com/articles/1996/11/22/beyond-the-beyond

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/final-fantasy-vii-review/1900-2547583/

https://www.rpgfan.com/review/shadow-madness/

Shadow Madness was made in US btw.

https://www.rpgfan.com/review/septerra-core-legacy-of-the-creator/

It was never about location, although you seem to be one of those clueless ones who believe JRPG is based on region and not on the style, JRPG and WRPG are just evolutions of Console and Computer rpgs. (No one was calling those Japanese remakes of the Wizardry titles JRPGS/Console rpgs for example, on PSX)

Hard to have an argument when you don't even know what you're arguing.

Never singled them out, you clearly can't read, are a liar, or are deluded and making yourself believe you saw something different than reality, and I literally addressed this dumb claim in the last post you didn't read.

You are clearly showing that you're a bad faith actor at this point, but I'd like to see these imaginary goal posts moves though still.
What do you think JRPG mean? Japanese-Style RPG. RPGs made in Japan. You just proved my point a third time, even when I predicted that you would deny exactly that lol.

When the likes of you don't see this as a discussion but as a competition, and is backed into a corner, it becomes so obvious what next goalposts you'll move to.

And seeing that you haven't refuted even a single data I brought forth about how well JRPGs sell in the west, I assume you agree with me.Finally.

So lets move on from this obvious point.

Nautilus

Banned
Yes, abandoned, not that they had a whole slew of Jrpgs for years that all flopped and left it to third parties, abandoned. What???

That's great, it is mainly used as a portable in Japan, Japan has been known for portables being the primary format for their gaming market since the late 2000's, at best you are being disingenuous but I think there may be a bigger problem with you here.

Sounds like you're trying to cope ironically.

Nintendo has been the market leader with their portables since post-GBA, even when compared to consoles. Something you seem to not be mentally capable of comprehending.

No, that's not the reason at all, and the early 360 proved this.

There you go ironically moving those goal posts. Hardware wasn't the claim, the CONSOLE industry was declining, and still is.
Let me start by saying that a handheld console is still a console, so I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here. Secondly, what data are you basing this on?The highest selling SKU, to this day, is the OG Switch model.The hybrid one. If Japan was indeed all about portability, the version that should sell the most would be the lite, seeing that its easier to transport AND its far cheaper.But it isn't. So the point you were trying to make completely falls apart.

Nintendo has been the console market leader since the Switch launched, and not just in Japan, seeing that it is outselling MS and Sony console to this day(this will eventually change of course, seeing that the Switch is a 7 years old console).

And as I proved previously, the Switch massive success in Japan, as it is on its way to be the best selling console of all time there, shows that Japan only needed something more innovative and that better fit to their tastes, something that Sony never mamaged to achieve after the PSP(The Vita was a handheld console and it failed miserably there).

can you tell me please how are framerate for xsx/s ?
It's 30 FPS locked (running at 1280x720) with no tearing, for sure.

Here is the game running on Xbox One vs Xbox 360:

It's pretty close to locked at 30 fps on Xbone, bar some drops to 29 fps. Unlike on Xbox 360, XSS/X are bound to easily lift the remaining bottlenecks.

Last edited:
The fuck did I just read? And why the link? what's it supposed to prove? all those links are meaningless.
There only meaningless if you can't follow simple conversations, the point was that JRPGS aren't called JRPGS because the companies are in Japan.

What do you think JRPG mean? Japanese-Style RPG. RPGs made in Japan.
I literally just gave links of where the term came from, how it used to be used, and directly contradicted your post showing you're wrong.

JRPG was never about rpgs made in japan. JRPGS came from console rpg, no one was calling the PSX japanese developed remakes JRPGS. All the links I gave were form the 90'.

When you have to lie and omit stuff (notice you ran off from 98% of your position in this post which mostly focused on JRPG terminology?) to pretend to have an argument, you never had one.

Sorry.

Let me start by saying that a handheld console is still a console,
Most on Neogaf knows by this point you're bullshitting. Consoles have been separated from handhelds for decades this shit isn't going to work.

. If Japan was indeed all about portability, the version that should sell the most would be the lite,
Japan was handheld land since the 2000's. This is not going to work either.

The Lite came out 2 years later, it's also a worse portable than the OG switch as the OG switch has a larger screen, keeps the rumble, table top mode, and you can swap the controllers. There's no REAL advantage to the lite, so outside of maybe kids or people who want a lighter form factor there's no reason to even choose the lite especially in the age of people wanting bigger screens on the move. Not to mention there are more OGs out there.

Why would Japan stop suddenly be dominated by portability because the Switch came out? Huh?

In this case, at the time of the launch of BotW in japan on Wii U and Switch, if we used your logic, that home machine with a 3 million install base in Japan, it's version of the game would have sold better than it did. But it didn't, and the Switch version rocked the house out the gate. Why? because you could TAKE BotW ON THE GO. Portability was a major factor in the sales.

Of course there is a benefit to killing the Wii U and putting all software and other efforts on the Switch, and there will be some people who play docked, not 100% of Japan is portable Switch durr, but let's not be silly and pretend that portability isn't a major factor in the Switches sales in a portable/mobile dominated Japan. Many of the most popular games are portable or based on portable franchises by an incredibly large margin against the software successes that are optimal toward docked mode. Which you could still play in portable mode in most cases adequately anyway.

Using your logic, you would also have to ignore the DS domination despite it's better competition than what the Switch has, also the 3DS which lost a good chunk of sales from the DS family. There would have to be indication of an expansion with the Switch and there isn't. As it is now, it's making up for the 3DS and trending along the DS, however, in japan it has basically no competition unlike what the DS had, which had the PS3, the Wii, and even the 360. Not to mention late GBA, and the PSP.

If anything the Switch gives even more proof that Japan is becoming more portable. The collapse of the console market is making the Switch the most viable gaming device in the country that isn't mobile. The Switches sales aren't even surprising when there's been year and years and years of declining console interest, and not that didn't suddenly vanish like magic.

GymWolf

I think i played a demo for this one, it was a time period where toriyama artstyle started to grate on me.

There only meaningless if you can't follow simple conversations, the point was that JRPGS aren't called JRPGS because the companies are in Japan.
That argument is so stupid. I don't even want to get entangled on discussing that shit.

We're basically discussing whether Reggae and Ska are the same thing, if one of those terms should be criminalized and how music magazines referred to it in the 90's as if what they wrote is something out of the bible. This, even if when you read what they wrote (and you highlighted), they get a lot of shit wrong, like claiming FFVII to be the longest JRPG ever published in the west. Publications can be wrong, and that's all more true with online gaming journalism..

Those links are meaningless and I'll go further, don't you have anything else to do?

Let people call and differentiate things how they want, you understood what he said, you just disagree. So agree to disagree and stop derailing this thread with semantics.
JRPG was never about rpgs made in japan. JRPGS came from console rpg, no one was calling the PSX japanese developed remakes JRPGS. All the links I gave were form the 90'.
Jesus christ. Sure.

People started calling JRPG's in order to differentiate them from the other RPG's that in truth first originated/inspired the japanese variant but, at the time, grew to feel different thematically and gameplay-wise. It also happens to be that western RPG's thrived on PC, and Japanese RPG's were consistently released on consoles, mostly because PC as a gaming platform never really took of in Japan (bar MMO's).

It didn't originate in a IGN write up that didn't even coin the term and to be fair, doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned

I literally just gave links of where the term came from, how it used to be used, and directly contradicted your post showing you're wrong.

When you have to lie and omit stuff (notice you ran off from 98% of your position in this post which mostly focused on JRPG terminology?) to pretend to have an argument, you never had one.

Sorry.

Most on Neogaf knows by this point you're bullshitting. Consoles have been separated from handhelds for decades this shit isn't going to work.

Japan was handheld land since the 2000's. This is not going to work either.

The Lite came out 2 years later, it's also a worse portable than the OG switch as the OG switch has a larger screen, keeps the rumble, table top mode, and you can swap the controllers. There's no REAL advantage to the lite, so outside of maybe kids or people who want a lighter form factor there's no reason to even choose the lite especially in the age of people wanting bigger screens on the move. Not to mention there are more OGs out there.

Why would Japan stop suddenly be dominated by portability because the Switch came out? Huh?

In this case, at the time of the launch of BotW in japan on Wii U and Switch, if we used your logic, that home machine with a 3 million install base in Japan, it's version of the game would have sold better than it did. But it didn't, and the Switch version rocked the house out the gate. Why? because you could TAKE BotW ON THE GO. Portability was a major factor in the sales.

Of course there is a benefit to killing the Wii U and putting all software and other efforts on the Switch, and there will be some people who play docked, not 100% of Japan is portable Switch durr, but let's not be silly and pretend that portability isn't a major factor in the Switches sales in a portable/mobile dominated Japan. Many of the most popular games are portable or based on portable franchises by an incredibly large margin against the software successes that are optimal toward docked mode. Which you could still play in portable mode in most cases adequately anyway.

Using your logic, you would also have to ignore the DS domination despite it's better competition than what the Switch has, also the 3DS which lost a good chunk of sales from the DS family. There would have to be indication of an expansion with the Switch and there isn't. As it is now, it's making up for the 3DS and trending along the DS, however, in japan it has basically no competition unlike what the DS had, which had the PS3, the Wii, and even the 360. Not to mention late GBA, and the PSP.

If anything the Switch gives even more proof that Japan is becoming more portable. The collapse of the console market is making the Switch the most viable gaming device in the country that isn't mobile. The Switches sales aren't even surprising when there's been year and years and years of declining console interest, and not that didn't suddenly vanish like magic.
Your link was incorrect, as JRPG always meant RPGs that came out of Japan. Do you mean that Secret of Mana, a 30 years old JRPG, is a WRPG just because it has an action combat system? Lol.

And what you are on about?The Switch is a hybrid system.It is selling in Japan because you can play as a home console and a handheld console. That's why the OG Switch model sells far more than the Lite model, which is exclusively a handheld console. The reason Sony got completely kicked out of its homeland is not because the japanese got tired of consoles, it's because Nintendo was too much as a competitor for them to handle, especially software wise, and they failed to produce a hardware, a product, that was good enough to convince people to buy it.

I have to assume you are trolling at this point, since you seem to constantly move goalposts or just twist what I said.

Either way, that's enough buddy, at this point you are just embarrasing yourself.

So agree to disagree and stop derailing this thread with semantics.
Now you're being delusional.

There aren't any semantics, you're just not capable of following direct evidence. We have direct clear linage and documentation of the origin of the terms and when they changed. These are facts, and facts don't care about your feelings. If you want to be upset that's fine, but jumping into a conversation you barely followed the context of in the first place, was a dumb move from the start. if you're own actions bother you, you can leave at any time I didn't force you into the conversation. Especially since my replys and links you couldn't follow were not even directed toward you.

Your link was incorrect,
Links

as JRPG always meant RPGs that came out of Japan.
It factually wasn't and you have nothing to show otherwise.

And what you are on about?
Critical thinking and logic, two thinks you don't have, along with data.

since you seem to constantly move goalposts or just twist what I said.
Which is all you have done, you are projecting.

hat's why the OG Switch model sells far more than the Lite model,

No proof. You also ignore historical trends and assume they stopped because of your imagination.

You're done, have a nice day.

Nautilus

Banned
That argument is so stupid. I don't even want to get entangled on discussing that shit.

We're basically discussing whether Reggae and Ska are the same thing, if one of those terms should be criminalized and how music magazines referred to it in the 90's as if what they wrote is something out of the bible. This, even if when you read what they wrote (and you highlighted), they get a lot of shit wrong, like claiming FFVII to be the longest JRPG ever published in the west. Publications can be wrong, and that's all more true with online gaming journalism..

Those links are meaningless and I'll go further, don't you have anything else to do?

Let people call and differentiate things how they want, you understood what he said, you just disagree. So agree to disagree and stop derailing this thread with semantics.

Jesus christ. Sure.

People started calling JRPG's in order to differentiate them from the other RPG's that in truth originated the japanese variant but, at the time, grew to feel different thematically and gameplay-wise. It also happens to be that western RPG's thrived on PC, and Japanese RPG's on consoles, but that's mostly because PC as a gaming platform never really took of in Japan (bar MMO's)
Yeah, its ridiculous. I mean, the definition is roght there on the name(The J meaning japanese) not the style of gameplay it adopts, either it be turn based or action based.

What's most infuriating is that he comes to widly different conclusions to what I say. When I say that the Switch is successful because its a hybrid, people like it bevause its both a home and handheld console, he understands that as "Do you think that Nintendo invented portability?". For fucks sake man, go learn the basics or reading comprehension.

It really feels like I'm talking to a wall with him.

Nautilus

Banned
Now you're being delusional.

There aren't any semantics, you're just not capable of following direct evidence. We have direct clear linage and documentation of the origin of the terms and when they changed. These are facts, and facts don't care about your feelings. If you want to be upset that's fine, but jumping into a conversation you barely followed the context of in the first place, was a dumb move from the start. if you're own actions bother you, you can leave at any time I didn't force you into the conversation. Especially since my replys and links you couldn't follow were not even directed toward you.
And instead of giving a proper response to him and arguing your case, you just insult and bully him.

10/10 user here.

Nautilus

Banned
Links

It factually wasn't and you have nothing to show otherwise.

Critical thinking and logic, two thinks you don't have, along with data.

Which is all you have done, you are projecting.

No proof. You also ignore historical trends and assume they stopped because of your imagination.

You're done, have a nice day.
No proof? Me and the rest of the internet have 7 years of Famitsu data backing up my claim about the Switch. Instead of just spouting nonsense and lies, go take a look over there. Outside of the Lite's launch, the OG model ALWAYS outsold the Lite. The lite, mind you, is 100 dollars cheaper and much better for handheld play.

As for JRPGs, me and the rest of the internet have 40 years of history showing how JRPGs was always a term to refere to RPGs that came from Japan. Secret of Mana is action based, just as all Tales of games are. Are they not JRPGs? You know they are and that you are wrong, so instead of arguing you are just offending people.

You're just full of shit, that's all.

And instead of giving a proper response to him and arguing your case, you just insult and bully him.

10/10 user here.
Yep, ignore what he did first, that's what projectors and dishonest people do, pretend something happened differently than how it occurred in reality.

Yeah, its ridiculous. I mean, the definition

Definition was proven to you in past usage, the terms have much historical documentation of where they came from. you're just flat out wrong, there is no debate you are wrong, and you will never be able to prove otherwise because of the poof. We can even go further back than the mid-90's to see the crpg and Crpgs transition to Wrpgs, and Jrpg. The last link I showed was going into how the two were blurring because you were starting to see more of both on each platform, why would that be a statement anyone would have made if i was just based on region?

The only people who still argue it's based on region are those who are either ignorant, trolls, or people who are fundamentally dishonest.

No proof?
You proved my point, you have no proof supporting your illogical reason why the OG Switch sales more than the lite, that's what I quoted, the rest of your post You're making an illogical assumption. Period. Switch is selling because of portability, i gave reasons why the lite isnt selling more than the OG. You just want to believe what you want to believe. The historical trends don't stop because of imagination. Then there's the Wii U example I gave you conveniently ignored. You're dishonest at best, and that's being generous.

Enough with the derail. Get back on topic.
Ok

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Yep, ignore what he did first, that's what projectors and dishonest people do, pretend something happened differently than how it occurred in reality.

Definition was proven to you in past usage, the terms have much historical documentation of where they came from. you're just flat out wrong, there is no debate you are wrong, and you will never be able to prove otherwise because of the poof. We can even go further back than the mid-90's to see the crpg and Crpgs transition to Wrpgs, and Jrpg. The last link I showed was going into how the two were blurring because you were starting to see more of both on each platform, why would that be a statement anyone would have made if i was just based on region?

The only people who still argue it's based on region are those who are either ignorant, trolls, or people who are fundamentally dishonest.
Sure buddy. So much so, that the only one insulting people here for having a different opinion here is you.

Love to keep proving you wrong at every half-backed post you made so far, but we've been asked by the mods to ignore you, and I'll happily comply, as it seems that going any further will just be a waste of time.

Have a nice day buddy.

but we've been asked by the mods to ignore you, and I'll happily comply, as it seems that going any fur

Oh so now you're going to LIE about what the mod said now? Doesn't seem like a smart move but ok, bad habit to have. Good day (BTW, I saw that bait Jrpg thread you made, and how many people are correcting you on what a JRPG is, and you keep dodging those posts, I'm here for you if you need a friend.)

Back on topic.

I spent 100 hours in the game and beat it. Received only 3 gamerscore. Like WTF why only 3 pts???

Huh really? That's weird.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
GjXlaYt_d.webp

This thread summed up in one image.

I played it and enjoyed it. Felt like a next-gen Dragon Quest at the time. The butt rock fuckin sucked though, would literally mute it during boss battles.

Hestar69

LOVED this game 1000'd it aswell! I need to 1000 Lost odyssey one day.

edit:1250 or what ever LO is at now with dlc

Last edited:

Hestar69

This is an example of a game where one mechanic completely ruined it for me.

Every wall, pebble, slightly different colored piece of grass, etc can have some item hidden in it. So you end up scouring every environment mashing the A button like an idiot.

Some of these items include “nothings”, of which there are a finite number to find in the game and you get (eventually very valuable) rewards when you reach certain thresholds.

Maybe the dumbest gameplay mechanic I have ever encountered.
yeah it was highly annoying and it's what put me off doing LO after this (you gotta find EVERYTHING in that damn game)

Hestar69

Lost Odyssey is the shit. I think it is backwards compatible on the Xbox One.
yup! I got it digitally and physical..I just need to get myself to play it again but I dread having to find EVERY single item and spell to try for the 100%

Top Bottom