• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint will be aiming to make GOTY quality titles

Snake00

Ports are always jobs for the B team lamers.
A port is just compiling the code for a different platform and making sure everything works. A remaster is using better textures and removing the frame rate and resolution cap if neccesary. A remake like bluepoint did with demons souls is from a technical standpoint just as impressive as developing a new game. They even uses a self made engine and the game looks phenomenal.

A team which is skilled enough to develop an engine from scratch with those results is definitely not the b team.

The term GOTY has become so watered down now it’s utterly meaningless. Literally every bang average exclusive release will have people brazenly stating it is GOTY now to build their narrative. Overhyping everything is a chronic disease.

I absolutely guarantee Bluepoint’s first release will have dozens of people saying ‘this is my GOTY’ absolutely regardless of actual merit.

Until/unless there is a respected body making legitimate decisions for one actual GOTY it should be renamed GTFO.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
GotY means literally nothing in this day and age. From paid wins and egotistical, bias ridden, gaming "journalists" giving out awards (almost always to games that fit certain socio-political boxes), to a simple popularity contest that is easily abused thanks to social media and bots.

The only thing that matters is *personal* game of the year awards. People (devs, gamers, and pubs) need to stop trying to design and create shit that appeases and appeals to those reprobates and just design what they want to design.

For the ones who keep saying that these people won't be able to make their own games, these people have been making their own games for years before they became Bluepoint and many of those games in senior positions too. This isn't my list and it isn't even close to including their full catalogue of highly successful games.
Some of the previous games where the Demon's Souls Bluepoint staff did work before (skipping remasters and remakes):
  • Producers: Titanfall, Resident Evil 5, Okami, Dark Void, Journey, Flower, Genji, Everyday Shooter, GoW Ghost of Sparta
  • Programmers: the three Metroid Prime, Sunset Overdrive, MDK, Titanfall, Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate
  • Concept artists: Diablo II, Starcraft, Warcraft III, WoW
  • Technical artists: Days Gone, Doom 2016, Prey 2016, the trilogy of Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Mario Kart 7, Titanfall, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Munch's Odyssey, Star Wars The Old Republic, Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate
  • Visual fx artists: Mortal Kombat X, Injustice, various Fight Night, Doom 2016, Ryse, Stranglehold, Call of Duty: Black Ops o Call of Duty: MW3
  • Environment artists: Baldur's Gate 1 y 3, all threee Metroid Prime, Neverwinter Nights, Mario Kart 7, Donkey Kong Returns y Tropical Freeze o Mafia III, Ghost of Tsushima, Titanfall, Star Wars The Old Republic, Recore, Epic Mickey 2, Doom 2016, Fallout 76, Everquest II, los juegos de Telltale de Walking Dead/Batman/Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate, Darksiders II
  • Lighting artists: CoD BO II, CoD IW
  • Character artists: WoW, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch
  • Animators: Killer Instinct 2013, Star Wars The Old Republic, Epic Mickey, Darksiders II, Star Wars The Force Unleashed
  • Designers: Darksiders, Darksiders II, GoW Ascension, Hulk (2008), The Red Star

Why is it bad for the industry? They were already making mostly games exclusively for Sony since a lot of time ago. It only gives them more stability and resources.
It's worth remembering that the many of the initial Bluepoint team were hand picked by Marco Thrush and Andy O'Neil when they founded the company after the success they had with Retro Games on the Metroid Prime series. Of course there will be newer people there too but of course they'll have gone through a similar in depth hiring process that people do in any profession. Even last year they were still hiring new people from succesful teams like Retro Studios.
If they are wanting to make a brand new game then just like any other studio they will of course have to present an in depth pitch and pitching a game does not just suggesting to somebody that they want to make Bloodborne II or some such thing. Neither Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft will be any stranger to refusing game pitches if they can't be convinced that it's going to represent them well.
Let's not forget too that they'll be working with some incredibly successful studios now that they're a part of the team and also that Sony does actually own a small percentage of From Software now and the Director, Designer and Writer of the the original Bloodborne is now the President and will soon be wrapping up directing Elden Ring so could even end up directing or co-directing Bloodborne II.
I can understand people having concerns about upcoming games but pretending that Bluepoint are new to making their own games is certainly something that I have no concerns about. That doesn't mean I couldn't be concerned at some point in the because it's looking like something has gone wrong but at the moment, there's far more positives about what Bluepoint are rumoured to be doing than negatives.

yurinka

For the ones who keep saying that these people won't be able to make their own games, these people have been making their own games for years before they became Bluepoint and many of those games in senior positions too. This isn't my list and it isn't even close to including their full catalogue of highly successful games.

It's worth remembering that the many of the initial Bluepoint team were hand picked by Marco Thrush and Andy O'Neil when they founded the company after the success they had with Retro Games on the Metroid Prime series. Of course there will be newer people there too but of course they'll have gone through a similar in depth hiring process that people do in any profession. Even last year they were still hiring new people from succesful teams like Retro Studios.
If they are wanting to make a brand new game then just like any other studio they will of course have to present an in depth pitch and pitching a game does not just suggesting to somebody that they want to make Bloodborne II or some such thing. Neither Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft will be any stranger to refusing game pitches if they can't be convinced that it's going to represent them well.
Let's not forget too that they'll be working with some incredibly successful studios now that they're a part of the team and also that Sony does actually own a small percentage of From Software now and the Director, Designer and Writer of the the original Bloodborne is now the President and will soon be wrapping up directing Elden Ring so could even end up directing or co-directing Bloodborne II.
I can understand people having concerns about upcoming games but pretending that Bluepoint are new to making their own games is certainly something that I have no concerns about. That doesn't mean I couldn't be concerned at some point in the because it's looking like something has gone wrong but at the moment, there's far more positives about what Bluepoint are rumoured to be doing than negatives.
In fact, I made that list only with people credited for Demon's Souls and listed only some popular games, they did work on more great games. And they must have hired more talented and experienced people after Demon's Souls (all Sony studios are growing a lot), and maybe they had some super talented folks working on preproduction of their next game while the big majority of the studio was working on DS.

They are more than capable to make their own original games. Plus now, they will get extra help with Sony.

And obviously, Bluepoint could make a Demon's Souls DLC or sequel, or an expanded Bloodborne remaster or sequel. Even with From Soft help/support/overviewing if needed, or to reuse discarded work made for the original games in a sequel, something pretty common.

These folks recently got a 92 Metacritic with a remake of a game that back then mostly everyone ignored. Combined with their past expertise, I think they have enough talent to make a brand new game that could be GOTY contender level.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm glad they are aiming to make original titles, god knows how difficult it is to create new franchises, but I think Sony has the right ecosystem to do that. I always look forward to the next AAA from Sony Studios, hoping for the best.

Top Bottom