• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluetooth VS Microsoft dongle?

nkarafo

I have a PC and used a 360 and now an XBOXone controller.

For both, i used their official wireless dongles by Microsoft.

Here's the thing. I tried a few bluetooth controllers using a different, generic bluetooth dongle. It never came out great. The system would either not see the device unless i retry 10 times, disconnect the device randomly or not remembering it after restart. Same with trying to connect other controllers to my phone. Many retries for the phone to see the device and on top of that, a huge amount of input lag.

Basically, i never had a good experience with generic bluetooth adapters/gamepads. But with the Microsoft dongle, i never had any issues. Gamepads get recognized immediately, there are no random disconnects, i don't have to re-setup the controllers after a restart and there's no input lag (at least a noticeable one). Experience is almost as perfect as if i was using a wired controller.

So the question is, how does Microsoft's dongle work? Is it also just a bluetooth? If yes, is it better quality? Is it because it's pre-configured to always work with Microsoft's controllers specifically, thus less chances for something to go wrong? Is it because i have a shitty generic bluetooth adapter? (i only ever tried 2 of them). is it because the generic bluetooth gamepads i tried are crap? (i also tried the 8-bido so i don't think that's the case).

Topher

Gold Member
I wouldn't think the adapter itself is Bluetooth since it only works with Xbox One and XSX controllers. It may be some proprietary wireless. Don't know, but I agree with you that it is much more reliable than the built-in Bluetooth on my PC. Not to say it is perfect as sometimes (rarely though) I need to unplug/plug the adapter back in to get a connection, but that's a heck of a lot easier than times Bluetooth didn't work which often required re-pairing. Using cheap adapters and controllers could always be a factor. I was using the Bluetooth built into the motherboard which is probably not the best quality. But I've used Xbox controllers on PC. Of course, we can't just assume the Bluetooth software in Windows isn't a factor. Either way, I've found the official Xbox adapter has lessened all issues greatly for me.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
get the dongle..
build is bluetooth is absolute wank

i think it's a battery saving issue.. so the BT does something to save energy the xbox controller absolutely hates.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Does the XBOXone dongle also work with Series X controllers? If yes, is it reliable?

I'm using it with the Xbox Elite Series 2 and it is fine there. Someone else will have to speak up for XSX controller using the adapter.

Starhowl

The dongle supports the Xbox Wireless Protocol. According to some users, it connects faster and up to 16 controllers. Bluetooth practically "only" supports up to 3 or 4 devices.

What I am wondering about if the Xbox Elite Series 1 controller supports the same Xbox Wireless protocol as the included controller with the Xbox Series X? That is, are they both operating at the same speed?

Update: In this video it says that the input lag is cut in half via the dongle provided by Microsoft.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
get the dongle..
build is bluetooth is absolute wank

i think it's a battery saving issue.. so the BT does something to save energy the xbox controller absolutely hates.

This. Never go for BT if there is an RF / proprietary RF alternative available.

keraj37

Yeah, by mistake I bought x1x controller without any PC connector (same price as the one with dongle - what?) so I went for BT adapter and I must say that, even if it works mostly okay, sometimes there are seriously annoying issues as you describe it in OP.

Drew1440

There's a setting in Windows device manager to power off the device to save power. Disabling that stopped Windows from disconnecting my Bluetooth mouse, although this also depends on the vendor of the bluetooth device in your PC. Qualcomm and Cambridge seem to be the most reliable, whilst I've found Intel's to be problematic.
But yes Microsoft did use an custom wireless standard in the 360 and earlier Xbox One controllers.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I use a cheap BT adapter for my DS4 on PC, and it functions just fine. Using the generic Bluetooth stack combined with current versions of Win10 gives solid automatic connection when I turn the controller on. Don’t bother with manufacturer provided BT software anymore unless it’s a rare good one that actually makes it worth it. Windows has improved a lot in this regard, because it’s a commonly used thing these days.

The only downside I’ve had is although I’m only 3m away, it’s possible to block the connection and cause massive input lag/stuck input, so I make an effort to keep a clear line of sight. I don’t recall that being the case with any normal console, so it’s probably the BT adapter I’m using.

I never had good luck with the MS Dongle. Every time I turned off the PC or the controller it would disconnect and I'd have to go through the full connection process again. Half the time even that wouldn't work so I eventually just connected the controller using a USB cable. No problems then.

Since then I've picked up both a PS5 and Xbox Series X controller and both work flawlessly via Bluetooth.

Garibaldi

My one controller works flawlessly with my motherboard's (Asus Crosshair 8 x570 WiFi) bluetooth. Even lounging on the sofa three rooms and a floor away using shadowplay (controller is still connected to the pc upstairs) never misses a beat. Never touch another man's dongle. Unless he smiles at you of course.

Banned
the official adapter is way easier to use and will reliably remember your controller

I use a generic Bluetooth dongle because I also use DualSense and sometimes Switch controllers on PC.
generic dongles will often forget your controller/fail to reconnect so you will have to pair them again.

both have their pros and cons, IMO a generic dongle is a better value proposition as it works with any Bluetooth device, and the Microsoft dongle is better if you really want ease of use

Last edited:

small_law

I broke down and got the dongle for my first generation Elite controller, largely because Bluetooth was so unreliable when I tried connecting my regular second-gen Xbox one controller. I could pair it, but it never stayed paired. It have to pair it again and again every time I booted my PC. Random disconnects would happen every once in a while too.

No problems with the dongle. Nice consistent signal. I did have an issue installing the driver initially, but no problems since.

Bluetooth was terrible a dozen years ago, it's still terrible, and it's going to stay that way. and I mean across the board, phones, headphones, everything. I actively avoid using it if I can.

Last edited:

Rikkori

As someone that's also recently got the dongle (finally) it's been fucking magical. I'm always down for wireless over BT, it's just so much better, no matter the peripheral. It's too bad they're so scare worldwide, I had to get it with a gamepad (that I sold off after) otherwise it's not available, and even then I was on the look out for it for months. I really don't understand why MS is so shy about selling more of them.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Both dongle and BT work for me and my XsX controller and shitty Xb1 controller. The dongle did get confused once and I thought it was busted. It worked after reinstalling Windows to address GPU issues not fixed by DDU and that was in October.

Prolly like the steam controller dongle. Thing is with mono WiFi and Bluetooth you're gonna have issues with signal noise in the system as it's possible sitting next to or under GPU and some other on board components that make too much signal noise for WiFi and Bluetooth to be efficient.

Usb seems more reliable as it's external to the system. Plus it's using less common channels to communicate with the device it's intended for.

Last edited:

small_law

As someone that's also recently got the dongle (finally) it's been fucking magical. I'm always down for wireless over BT, it's just so much better, no matter the peripheral. It's too bad they're so scare worldwide, I had to get it with a gamepad (that I sold off after) otherwise it's not available, and even then I was on the look out for it for months. I really don't understand why MS is so shy about selling more of them.
Scarcity was another factor that caused me to get one. They seem to be in and out of stock. With the second generation Xbox One controllers and Series X/S controllers supporting Bluetooth, Microsoft may have limited production, let alone current conditions.

A.Romero

In my experience the dongle is better. It is radio based and is proprietary, though.

I tried using a BT dongle a few years back to use with PS controllers but the results were not that great.

Not saying the dongle is perfect but it seems to work better than BT.

OnionSnake

Banned
The dongle is a lot better, more consistent. It’s been OOS for a while though so if it’s back I’d grab it while you can. Bluetooth can get very inconsistent with the Xbox controllers for some reason

Top Bottom