• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Corker and Jeff Flake Call Out Donald Trump In Front of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
NY Times - Bob Corker Says Trump's Recklessness Threatens ‘World War III

The senator, Mr. Trump said, had ”begged" for his endorsement. ”I said ‘NO' and he dropped out (said he could not win without my endorsement)," the president wrote. He also said that Mr. Corker had asked to be secretary of state. ”I said ‘NO THANKS,'" he wrote.

Mr. Corker flatly disputed that account, saying Mr. Trump had urged him to run again, and promised to endorse him if he did. But the exchange laid bare a deeper rift: The senator views Mr. Trump as given to irresponsible outbursts — a political novice who has failed to make the transition from show business.

Mr. Trump poses such an acute risk, the senator said, that a coterie of senior administration officials must protect him from his own instincts. ”I know for a fact that every single day at the White House, it's a situation of trying to contain him," Mr. Corker said in a telephone interview.

The deeply personal back-and-forth will almost certainly rupture what had been a friendship with a fellow real estate developer turned elected official, one of the few genuine relationships Mr. Trump had developed on Capitol Hill. Still, even as he leveled his stinging accusations, Mr. Corker repeatedly said on Sunday that he liked Mr. Trump, until now an occasional golf partner, and wished him ”no harm."

NY Times - Republican Jeff Flake, a Fierce Trump Critic, Will Not Seek Re-Election for Senate

But Mr. Flake, choosing the Senate floor for his fierce denunciation, appeared to issue a direct challenge to his party. Without mentioning Mr. Trump by name, Mr. Flake, 54, took direct aim at the president's policies, notably his isolationist tendencies, but also his behavior and that of his aides. He had already touched on these themes in a book he published in August that was highly critical of the president.

Here is a full transcript of the speech Mr. Flake, the Republican senator from Arizona, delivered on the Senate floor.
”We must stop pretending that the conduct of some in our executive branch are normal," Mr. Flake said. ”They are not normal. Reckless, outrageous and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as telling it like it is when it is actually just reckless, outrageous and undignified. And when such behavior emanates from the top of our government, it is something else. It is dangerous to a democracy."

”It is often said that children are watching," he continued. ”Well, they are. And what are we going to do about that? When the next generation asks us, why didn't you do something? Why didn't you speak up? What are we going to say?"

The GOP are cowardly scum waiting to retire before calling out Trump but I think it still needs to happen over and over and over. I know people will bitch about this being the gaming side but I think this is news that everyone should see, GAF as well. We might be seeing the GOP actually growing a spine... probably not though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom