• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick: "Call of Duty has sold OVER 300 million units in just 15 years" 1 game away from beating Pokemon for 2nd biggest game franchise.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Still waiting for the reveal of Modern Warfare 4 and hopefully, remasters of MW 2 and MW 3 come along with it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Still waiting for the reveal of Modern Warfare 4 and hopefully, remasters of MW 2 and MW 3 come along with it.

Is there no event scheduled yet for this announcement? I guess they want to be careful not to disrupt microtransaction sales for BLOPS 4.

JCK75

I remember skipping the original Call of Duty, a year or so later at a LAN party everyone wanted to play it so I ran down to Walmart and got a cheap copy and once I played the multiplayer I loved the hell out if it, it just felt so good and I clicked with it instantly.
I purchased and enjoyed every one after that but COD4:MW was the last one I loved, still enjoyed a few of them like BO 1-3 and such. But lately it's just gone so far off the rails i can't even stomach it.

I still don't understand'. Their business model are clearly different from the start, a new Pokemon will always be accompanied by a tons of related Pokemon merchandises, and that is just the tip of iceberg.

I don't know why you guys think COD doesn't have anything outside of games. They have merch and other stuff as well.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

And it was a goal post move because that whole statement of saying "But Pokemon has this" was a defense to try and diminish the very strong chance COD will pass Pokemon as a game franchise.

I don't know why that's needed though, it's still going to be top 3.

Last edited:

spookyfish

Massive annual game released on every system and PC poised to sell more copies than annual game released on one, maybe two systems.

Also, apples poised to outsell oranges.

Someone edit the Mario Kart pie chart.

Last edited:
Literally took GTA over 10 years to create ONE game that outsold the average sales of a COD title. With a outlier that is GTA V which won't happen again. COD also doesn't have that many titles, you're basically insulting Mario and Pokemon indirectly by going after COD"s "quantity"

Grand Theft Auto has never been a slouch when it's come to making money, and I would like to see some figures on your behalf in regards to the average sales between the two franchises. As for the financially stability of the series on a whole, GTA VI will surpass the nearest COD title in terms of revenue, hype and critical scores.

And since we're on the topic of quantity, allow me to address the main COD titles:

upload

These are only the main titles in the series, excluding the console-exclusive games, remasters and what else Activision is willing to churn out.

Last edited:
Grand Theft Auto has never been a slouch when it's come to making money, and I would like to see some figures on your behalf in regards to the average sales between the two franchises. As for the financially stability of the series on a whole, GTA VI will surpass the nearest COD title in terms of revenue, hype and critical scores.

This is nothing but pointless damage control. COD sells more per average and GTA V gave GTA an artificial boost adding 100 million that likely won't happen again. The average GTA game sales are lower and GTA has been around longer.

You're whole thing with scores, and GTA online revenue has nothing to do with the thread and is an attempt to shift the subject away from the fact COD currently is about to be second place. It has the highest sales per entry of any franchise and in only around 15 years.

This is about the "quality" of COD games. All this thread is about is that COD is about to be the second biggest game franchise. That's it. I don't get all this extra whining like "review scores" is going to suddenly change the fact of the thread.

This is nothing but pointless damage control. COD sells more per average and GTA V gave GTA an artificial boost adding 100 million that likely won't happen again. The average GTA game sales are lower and GTA has been around longer.

COD sales are on the decline, with the latest installment selling around 15 million copies, half of the figures from earlier games. And to be honest it isn't a fair comparison, one is a technically inferior product to the other and is shovelled onto store shelves within 12 months. Activision will no doubt be using the Modern Warfare II remaster as incentive to puchase the upcoming game.

As for 100 million copies of GTA V, that will most likely never happen again. But if we're being reasonable, at least 30-35 million copies of GTA VI will be sold, will COD boast those figures when it's time for their release? Besides, GTA has been around 6 years prior to COD, but both series didn't reach their pinacle until later on, so that doesn't really matter.

You're whole thing with scores, and GTA online revenue has nothing to do with the thread and is an attempt to shift the subject away from the fact COD currently is about to be second place. It has the highest sales per entry of any franchise and in only around 15 years.

This is about the "quality" of COD games. All this thread is about is that COD is about to be the second biggest game franchise. That's it. I don't get all this extra whining like "review scores" is going to suddenly change the fact of the thread.

You're right because the purpose of this thread is pure sales, even though digital distribution isn't wholly factored into the equation. But the point I was trying to make about the quality of GTA games is that they'll be remembered and played many years from now. COD won't even have the same impact in the long run, but that's an entirely different story.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One is a multiplatform series that releases on an average of 3+ consoles at a time. The other is a series that rarely releases on more than 1 console per release.

Pokemon is still the series that has more clout than Call of Duty and more respectable sales, given its limited availability by comparison.

COD sales are on the decline, with the latest installment selling around 15 million copies,

This is literally false and you made up those numbers. RDR sold 17 million copies in 2018, COD was the best selling game in 2018 meaning it sold over 17_ million in the latest installment and that was BEFORE COD reached over 300 million, so it's likely over 20 for Black ops 4 and heading toward 30.

But the point I was trying to make about the quality of GTA games is that they'll be remembered and played many years from now.

There are several older COD games people are still playing. Also a reason why MW got a remaster.

This is literally nothing but damage control, if you like GTA more fine, but as of RIGHT NOW COD is number 3 and closing in on number 2 and that's what the thread is about, the rest is pointless.

One is a multiplatform series that releases on an average of 3+ consoles at a time. The other is a series that rarely releases on more than 1 console per release.

One has less than 30 games, one has over nearly 100 games and is also 5 or so years older. While releasing multiple versions of the same game. Also at COD's has sold more on one console than Pokemon has in the past.

What people are doing is trying to find an excuse to downplay the achievement that even similar types of games with similar budgets can't meet. Which I don't get.

Pokemon is older, has tons more games, multiple versions, has a console maker backing. COD is an impressive feat and no other gaming franchise has its sates average per game.

If you don't like COD say you don't like COD< but you don't need to try and make up excuses to defend Pokemon from COD, and then ignore all those other games that are set up like COD that can't even tough it, if it was as simple as releasing on 3+ consoles then why aren't there other IPS behind COD that do that?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
One has less than 30 games, one has over nearly 100 games and is also 5 or so years older. While releasing multiple versions of the same game. Also at COD's has sold more on one console than Pokemon has in the past.

What people are doing is trying to find an excuse to downplay the achievement that even similar types of games with similar budgets can't meet. Which I don't get.

Pokemon is older, has tons more games, multiple versions, has a console maker backing. COD is an impressive feat and no other gaming franchise has its sates average per game.

If you don't like COD say you don't like COD< but you don't need to try and make up excuses to defend Pokemon from COD, and then ignore all those other games that are set up like COD that can't even tough it, if it was as simple as releasing on 3+ consoles then why aren't there other IPS behind COD that do that?

I like CoD - at least the Treyarch games. I just find Pokemon's achievements far more worthy of celebration than CoD's. Also pokemon is not even close to "nearly 100 games" It is nearing 70 actual games at this point, at most. It also has only released on Nintendo platforms, with the very rare mobile or PC release. CoD, meanwhile, has released on multiple platforms with almost every single release since its inception. Giving it a far larger base of customers than Pokemon.

It is cool to see, don't get me wrong - but Pokemon is far more interesting and worthy of praise for the amount it has sold and how limited its reach was by comparison.

This is literally false and you made up those numbers. RDR sold 17 million copies in 2018, COD was the best selling game in 2018 meaning it sold over 17_ million in the latest installment and that was BEFORE COD reached over 300 million, so it's likely over 20 for Black ops 4 and heading toward 30.

You're making up those figures too without providing a source. Here's the latest one I could find for CODIV sales figures:

Of course it won't be accurate considering it's 2 months old, but to estimate that COD will sell around 10 million copies 8 months after launch is optimistic.

There are several older COD games people are still playing. Also a reason why MW got a remaster.

This is literally nothing but damage control, if you like GTA more fine, but as of RIGHT NOW COD is number 3 and closing in on number 2 and that's what the thread is about, the rest is pointless.

Most of the older COD games are on the verge of dying too. Watch Fortunate's videos about the current state of the multiplayer servers for MWI/II/III:

I indeed like GTA as an entity much more than COD, and there was a time I enjoyed both. But Activision's scummy monetization tactics has driven me away for the foreseeable future (GTA does this too, but not to the same extreme).

You're making up those figures too without providing a source. Here's the latest one I could find for CODIV sales figures:

Stop.

RDR sold 17 million in 2018.

COD is the best selling game of 2018.

This means COD was over 17 million Period.

That was BEFORE they crossed 300 million, which means it's likely BO4 is over 20 million.

The amount of DC is unneeded. COD is going to be 2nd soon, that's it. You are trying to make it seem like some kind of attack on GTA, calm down.

Stop.

RDR sold 17 million in 2018.

COD is the best selling game of 2018.

This means COD was over 17 million Period.

That was BEFORE they crossed 300 million, which means it's likely BO4 is over 20 million.

The amount of DC is unneeded. COD is going to be 2nd soon, that's it. You are trying to make it seem like some kind of attack on GTA, calm down.

RDR has sold 23 million copies as of Feb 2019 and there's no doubt been a small increase since then. The article you've provided shows how COD did good business in the first couple of weeks of November, but RDR did even more business. And on top of that, you've failed to notice how RDR2 was released 2 whole weeks after BO4 and the lead it had is probably gone, as stated in the article.

I'm not claiming this to be an attack on anything, I'm merely calling it like I see it. There's no concrete data on BO4 sales and we'll only find out later on.

Regards

RDR has sold 23 million copies as of Feb 2019 and there's no doubt been a small increase since then. The article you've provided shows how COD did good business in the first couple of weeks of November, but RDR did even more business.

This is not relevant and you keept doing this, COD sold more than RDR in last time and was the biggest title in 2018. Thus we know that COD sold over 17 million in 2018, and by now that number is likely near 20.

You're original claim was there was a sales decline with the "latest COD" which isn't the case just based on what we know with the 2018 data.

Caffeine

I think you are both right. except the claim of decline
cod as a franchise sold the best last year. that includes continued sales of previous games including ww2.

-october bo4 sold <17m(X) amount of units
-november bo4 sold Y amount of units ( Y is lower than X)
-november RDR2 sold 17m(A) amount of units more than Y but less than X +Y.
-December RDR2 sold B amount of units. Bo4 sold Z ( less than Y and X)
RDR2 (A+B) 2 month total exceeds 3 month total (bo4(X+Y+Z)).

if we go back to forbes from a january article.

however we still dont know the pc figures

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
This topic inspired me to play some blops last night for the first time in ages. It’s changed A LOT since launch.

Pretty sure they change the color pallate in blackout too. Far more vibrant... I like it.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I don't know why you guys think COD doesn't have anything outside of games. They have merch and other stuff as well.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

And it was a goal post move because that whole statement of saying "But Pokemon has this" was a defense to try and diminish the very strong chance COD will pass Pokemon as a game franchise.

I don't know why that's needed though, it's still going to be top 3.
For sure everyone knows how big Pokemon is as a franchise. I will disagree if your narratives is that COD will be the 'bigger' game franchise, when all it points to is that their games sales being potentially higher at a later time. Again, I'm not trying to diminish COD as the peak of FPS, but you're gasping the wrong straw here. What is your definition of a 'game franchise' then? Am I wrong here?

Edit:

Courtesy of Wikipedia:
  • Licensed merchandise – $61.1 billion (latest data 2017)
  • Video games – $17.138 billion
  • Card game – $10.254 billion
  • Manga sales – $1.46 billion
  • Anime box office – $1.306 billion
  • Home entertainment – $863 million
Their business model is different.

Last edited:
For sure everyone knows how big Pokemon is as a franchise. I will disagree if your narratives is that COD will be the 'bigger' game franchise, when all it points to is that their games sales being potentially higher at a later time. Again, I'm not trying to diminish COD as the peak of FPS, but you're gasping the wrong straw here. What is your definition of a 'game franchise' then? Am I wrong here?

You're making up an argument that doesn't exist and was never made. This, not Pokemon Damage control. I never said anything about how much COD made in revenue compared to Pokemon outside of games, I only compared the only thing we objectively know and that is over 300 million sales for Call of Duty.

All these other arguments are popping out of thin air.

Hudo

The next CoD is rumored to be Modern Warfare 4, right? Not that I am against that but I kinda liked Infinite Warfare...

MagnesG

Banned
You're making up an argument that doesn't exist and was never made. This, not Pokemon Damage control. I never said anything about how much COD made in revenue compared to Pokemon outside of games, I only compared the only thing we objectively know and that is over 300 million sales for Call of Duty.

All these other arguments are popping out of thin air.
Okay then. I'm just saying your title is wrong if that's your notion for this topic in my opinion.

I remember when Bobby Kotick was in the news all the time when calladoody was at its peak. He was the face of the evil corporate game industry, making mad profit with a permanent grin on his grinning curly haired doughface. He’s just been sitting around doing fuck all in the interim hasn’t he.

This is not relevant and you keept doing this, COD sold more than RDR in last time and was the biggest title in 2018. Thus we know that COD sold over 17 million in 2018, and by now that number is likely near 20.

You're original claim was there was a sales decline with the "latest COD" which isn't the case just based on what we know with the 2018 data.

You're speculating about the sales figures, but it would be surprising to see it reach the 30 million you're confident it will. And as for my original claim of COD sales declining, it holds some truth, as Infinite Warfare, WWII, Advanced Warfare didn't reach the higher sales of the original blockbuster COD games. It's obvious you're a hardcore fan of this series, as you're willing to defend it tooth and nail, regardless of the argument lol.

Caffeine

Based on the Statista numbers which actually do start counting to 300mill+ if you add in the estimated MWR, reported cod 1, 2, 3 sales figures they have misrepresented in their graph. and the estimated 20m for bo4 which of course is still rising till november.

this is just estimation and by no means accurate data just math around numbers release by activision and what could be found across the net. I just thought it would be interesting to see.
TCf93Pv.jpg

You're speculating about the sales figures, but it would be surprising to see it reach the 30 million you're confident it will.

You keep making up arguments that don't exist and you are the only fanboy here.

You said there was decline, I said there, wasn't and the 2018 info we have shows that it is not currently in decline with as you said the "lastest COD" and I never said it was going to sell 30 million. That's all stuff you made up for no real reason.

Stop.

You said there was decline, I said there, wasn't and the 2018 info we have shows that it is not currently in decline with as you said the "lastest COD" and I never said it was going to sell 30 million. That's all stuff you made up for no real reason.

You're absolutely right. I should stop as I'm nothing more than a delusional fanboy with warped views and ideals.

This is literally false and you made up those numbers. RDR sold 17 million copies in 2018, COD was the best selling game in 2018 meaning it sold over 17_ million in the latest installment and that was BEFORE COD reached over 300 million, so it's likely over 20 for Black ops 4 and heading toward 30

Later

You're absolutely right. I should stop as I'm nothing more than a delusional fanboy with warped views and ideals.

Later

Apparently you're not smart enough to know the next milestone number after 20 is 30. Hence why I said "heading towards 30" because it's already over 20. I didn't say it was going to "sell 30 million"

as with everything else you made up another imaginary argument.. Go catch a slowpoke.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Based on the Statista numbers which actually do start counting to 300mill+ if you add in the estimated MWR, reported cod 1, 2, 3 sales figures they have misrepresented in their graph. and the estimated 20m for bo4 which of course is still rising till november.

this is just estimation and by no means accurate data just math around numbers release by activision and what could be found across the net. I just thought it would be interesting to see.
TCf93Pv.jpg
Wow. Look at IW shit the bed.

Celine

Well, I'm not sure RPGs were sold to the masses with nearly the same level of success. Red/Blue/Green sold 31M

Did any RPG up to that point (1996) sell even half that prior to Pokemon? Genuinely curious.
The best selling RPGs released in 1996 or before were:
Dragon Quest III (NES): 3.90M
Dragon Quest VI (SNES): 3.20M
Dragon Quest IV (NES): 3.20M
Final Fantasy VI (SNES): 2.90M
Dragon Quest V (SNES): 2.79M
Dragon Quest II (NES): 2.50M
Diablo (PC): 2.50M
Final Fantasy V (SNES): 2.40M
Chrono Trigger (SNES): 2.31M
Super Mario RPG (SNES): 2.14M
Dragon Quest (NES): 2.00M

In 1997 Square released FFVII which would go to sell 9.81M on PS1.

Nintendo builds their hardware around Mario and Pokemon.
Microsoft and Sony build theirs around Call of Duty.
That's indeed a key difference between how Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft act as a platform holder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom