• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boeing 787 Receives Official FAA Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44289107/ns/business-us_business/#.Tlge3KhxV8E

nMLxe.jpg

CHICAGO — After years of headaches and occasional heartbreak, Boeing Co's 787 Dreamliner jet has been declared safe to fly passengers.

Operating certification by the Federal Aviation Administration will enable Boeing to make the first delivery of its plastics-based airplane next month to Japan's All Nippon Airways Co Ltd . ANA said Friday the first Dreamliner will arrive at Tokyo's Haneda airport on Sept. 28.

FAA certification was granted at a ceremony on the Boeing flightline in Everett, Washington.

Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Jim Albaugh said, "Certification is a milestone that validates what we have promised the world since we started talking about this airplane. This airplane embodies the hopes and dreams of everyone fortunate enough to work on it. Their dreams are now coming true."

The Dreamliner, which promises to raise the bar for fuel efficiency and passenger comfort, is nearly three years behind its original schedule and at least several billion dollars over budget by some outside estimates.

"It's momentous. A few years back no on thought this day would come. We pretty much have one step left and that's delivery," said Alex Hamilton, managing director with EarlyBirdCapital.

With 827 orders for the plane on the books, the Dreamliner may be the most hotly anticipated aircraft in the history of the storied company.

The airframe is made largely of light-weight carbon composites that help lower fuel costs for airlines. The composites also allow various improvements for passengers such as more comfortable cabin air pressure and bigger windows.

Development and construction make unprecedented use of a vast global supply chain that could slash production costs, should it work correctly.

"It will completely change the way that aircraft have been manufactured until now," Hamilton said.

Boeing expects a production rate of ten 787s per month by the end of 2013. Kinks in the supply chain, however, have caused several embarrassing program delays.

Boeing, which competes with EADS unit Airbus for commercial plane orders, has said that it would bring more of the work on future models back in house.

It is unknown how long it could be before the 787 program earns a profit. Boeing Chief Executive Jim McNerney said in June that the program faces financial headwinds, and he declined to say when the 787 could make money.

The CEO has long insisted that while Boeing may have stumbled since proposing the aircraft eight years ago, it has built a plane that airlines around the world want and need for the long term.

Boeing does not disclose how much is has invested in the plane's development.

As Boeing celebrates FAA certification, the company continues to grapple with program challenges.

Boeing is mired in a legal dispute with one of its top labor unions in Washington state, where it has traditionally built its aircraft.

The International Association of Machinists and the National Labor Relations Board have accused Boeing of building a nonunion 787 assembly plant in South Carolina to punish the IAM for past strikes.

Boeing blames one of its seven program delays on a 58-day strike in 2008 over a contract dispute, but it rejects the notion that placement of its second assembly line was retaliatory.

Boeing plans to assemble seven 787s a month in Everett and three more in South Carolina.

Love the flip down HUDs in the cockpit.

800px-787-flight-deck.jpg

Gaborn

Finally. I knew it was coming but we've needed a new generation of aircraft for DECADES really. It's been, what, since the mid 90s since we've had any new ones?

Levyne

Banned
Interned at a company responsible for a lot of the cockpit displays of the 787. Supposedly the constant delays of the whole project cost them tons.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gaborn said:
Finally. I knew it was coming but we've needed a new generation of aircraft for DECADES really. It's been, what, since the mid 90s since we've had any new ones?

Yes, but I'd hardly call the 777's out of date.

Gaborn said:

A380 started service in 2007.

seanoff

Gaborn said:
Are you referring to boeing only

The a380 is pretty new

Beaten lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
seanoff said:
Are you referring to boeing only

The a380 is pretty new
A380 is also pretty impractical as many airports don't have runways and taxiways big enough to support the weight of the plane or it's takeoff and landing distances, and those that did want to accommodate it had to make structural changes to runways and taxiways.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good plane, but it does not have the versatility of use the 787 will have.

antonz

Good to hear.

Love how a Union can sue a company over where it decides to build additional assembly facilities. Even if it was 100% relatiatory a company has a right to build wherever it wants in the country.

Gaborn

DrForester said:
Yes, but I'd hardly call the 777's out of date.

Yeah, but before that... I mean, I know there's a new-gen 747 coming down the pike and THAT will be big. I mean, the 777 is great but even though it's been around a while it's STILL not used nearly enough.

A380 was a good point though.

seanoff

DrForester said:
A380 is also pretty impractical as many airports don't have runways and taxiways big enough to support the weight of the plane or it's takeoff and landing distances, and those that did want to accommodate it had to make structural changes to runways and taxiways.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good plane, but it does not have the versatility of use the 787 will have.
The 380 is a specific purpose aircraft. It's built for mega long haul. There are only select airports that need it. It is never going gto fly atl jfk. It will fly syd lax and that sort of route is its job.

The 747 8 is bigger than the a380, so it will be even more contstricting.

Subitai

Geez, no matter what the circumstances, the union suit is just going to push more work out of the state and deter large scale manufacturing from relocating to the state. Management is drawing up a carbon composite replacement to the most made plane ever, the 737. And when you add costs like this into a location projection bid, the numbers lean further away from staying in Renton or Everette.

see5harp

My sister has been working on this plane in Seattle (every day in the Hangar with mechanics) for the better part of 3 years now. I'll have to call her up tonight and offer my congrats.

Phoenix

Funky Papa said:
The Airbus A380 is even more stunning. So goddamned gargantuan it looks as if it were to drop like a rock right as it takes off.

http://youtu.be/hxeKmiFudFg

The sound alone scares the crap out of me (I really, really hate flying)

The funniest part of it is that the guy keeps zooming out and it never really seems to get any smaller. That plane is massive.

see5harp

These things are insane in person. You can go to the Boeing hangar just outside of Seattle if you ever want a tour. They actually just assemble them there. They come in huge pieces from all over the world and put them together like prefab houses or legos. My sister said a few of the first planes are going to the UAE and that her boss has already had flights in the deluxe sleeping cabins (super pimp). First plane is scheduled to be delivered on 09/26.

see5harp said:
These things are insane in person. You can go to the Boeing hangar just outside of Seattle if you ever want a tour. They actually just assemble them there. They come in huge pieces from all over the world and put them together like prefab houses or legos. My sister said a few of the first planes are going to the UAE and that her boss has already had flights in the deluxe sleeping cabins (super pimp). First plane is scheduled to be delivered on 09/26.

What's your girlfriend's first name? General age? Never know.. small world, etc. not trying to be creepy.

Is your U/N a reference to C#?

Wes

venison crêpe
I just flew from London to Dubai in a 380 earlier this week. It is ridiculously huge, especially as you stare at it from the gate. I kept thinking to myself shouldn't the cockpit windows be a bit bigger in some way? Like maneuvering a land rover through a pinhole. A truly awesome piece or engineering nevertheless.

These kinds of gargantuan construction projects always leave me impressed.

see5harp

nVidiot_Whore said:
What's your girlfriend's first name? General age? Never know.. small world, etc. not trying to be creepy.

Is your U/N a reference to C#?

Dude my sister. Anyways her name is Lauren. Young. Asian. She was working in Italy last year for a few months and I think she just got a new job that will be somewhere in the UK. see5harp is a sort of double entendre but mostly it's a musical reference.

see5harp said:
Dude my sister. Anyways her name is Lauren. She was working in Italy last year for a few months and I think she just got a new job that will be somewhere in the UK.

Oh.. haha.. well.. don't know her then.

KHarvey16

Satyamdas said:
http://i.imgur.com/VCn2H.jpg

Also, holy fuck at that cabin. The seats are far too slim for the average person in 2011.

They have one section like that for each leg with open space in between.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I love how official renders are always sumptuous and pretty, yet the final cabins resemble a tin of sardines with blue upholstery.

:(

bionic77

Very cool plane. Its feature of being able to minimize changes of pressure better than other planes is what I am most interested in.

Unfortunately it seems most of the planes I fly in when I fly domestic were made in the 70s so God knows how long it will be until I get to go on one.

Satyamdas

Banned
equap said:
LOL way to fly coach!! I don't understand how people like you can fly to places like that.
EdOqz.jpg

Bonus points for the "people like you". My monocle almost fell out from laughing at those dirty coach traveling poors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom