• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bohemia Interactive will reveal the future of the Arma series next week

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

All we know for sure is that whatever Bohemia Interactive reveals will be the first fruits of the new Enfusion engine , which was fully introduced at the end of last year.

However, since the beginning of last year, when the first leaks occurred, there has been speculation about the existence of the Arma: Reforger project , which could be inspired by the original Operation Flashpoint , now distributed under the name Arma: Cold War Assault . After all, it wasn't hard to tell that the Enfusion screenshots we had a few months ago came from a new version of Everon Island , one of Flashpoint's main venues. In addition, a few days ago, the arrival of the modernized Everon was confirmed by Marek Španěl, the director and co-founder of Bohemia Interactive, via Twitter.

But we're not moving that a lot of fans of the series would rather see the full fourth part , which fans have been calling for for several years. After all, Arma 3 was released in 2013, and although its long-standing support is admirable, it cannot, of course, last forever.

Related?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm like Moses. 40 years of the single player plague is coming to an end. The red sea is parting and my people are about to rejoice.

There's so many great open world multiplayer games nearing release. We about to feast!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

FSxT3tbUYAE-ypL

Consoles? This will fizzle out so quickly because people refuse to communicate on those platforms. It’ll either turn into a mindless TDM or result in one team getting completely stomped due to the other team knowing each other and coordinating properly.

I’ve seen this happen dozens of times in Hell Let Loose and I see no reason why it wouldn’t translate here.

On top of comms, Xbox One? That’s going to be a mess of an experience…

Hezekiah

Banned
Always wanted to play one of these games, but nowadays with the amount of gaming I do, I fear I would be demolished in quick order.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Consoles? This will fizzle out so quickly because people refuse to communicate on those platforms. It’ll either turn into a mindless TDM or result in one team getting completely stomped due to the other team knowing each other and coordinating properly.

I’ve seen this happen dozens of times in Hell Let Loose and I see no reason why it wouldn’t translate here.

Hell Let Loose is so amazing when people actually communicate but like you said most times no one does and everyone is just running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I too see no reason this game will be different.

I mainly play Hell Let Loose on PS5 and admit the communication is somewhat better there than Xbox with the mic in the dual sense but still way lacking

SJRB

Gold Member
I have no problems with ARMA on consoles [really, who cares].

However, I do have a problem with timed exclusivity. Fuck off with that shit.

DukeNukem00

Banned
I have no problems with ARMA on consoles [really, who cares].

However, I do have a problem with timed exclusivity. Fuck off with that shit.

The people who enjoy the game care. Do you believe that games just apear on consoles as they are, out of thin air ? They would need to neuter and gut everything from the gamedesign in order for the game to be playable and enjoyable on controllers. We have assists for the smallest little shit when we play games on controllers due to how shit dual sticks are for everything and how few buttons we have on them. An ARMA on consoles quite simply would stop being arma. And the changes they want to make are evident based on this leak. They even emphasised that its not a sim anymore

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

What's your final review score?

What's your final review score?
To be really clear, I’d love for this kind of thing to take off and work well on consoles, but these mil-sim shooters just don’t seem to pan out well there because they rely on good team communication. Something alien to a decent amount of console players.

Hell Let Loose is so amazing when people actually communicate but like you said most times no one does and everyone is just running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I mainly play Hell Let Loose on PS5 and admit the communication is somewhat better there than Xbox with the mic in the dual sense but still way lacking
Absolutely agree on HLL being an amazing time when people are communicating. It’s the most rewarding multiplayer experience in my opinion.

However, like you say, it just doesn’t work well when players don’t want to speak. It actually becomes one of the most frustrating multiplayer experiences at that point for me.

SJRB

Gold Member
The people who enjoy the game care. Do you believe that games just apear on consoles as they are, out of thin air ? They would need to neuter and gut everything from the gamedesign in order for the game to be playable and enjoyable on controllers. We have assists for the smallest little shit when we play games on controllers due to how shit dual sticks are for everything and how few buttons we have on them. An ARMA on consoles quite simply would stop being arma. And the changes they want to make are evident based on this leak. They even emphasised that its not a sim anymore

Maybe wait with the drama until we see the actual game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
To be really clear, I’d love for this kind of thing to take off and work well on consoles, but these mil-sim shooters just don’t seem to pan out well there because they rely on good team communication. Something alien to a decent amount of console players.

I think it probably depends on how the game is designed. I've never had a problem with comms (on console) as long as squad size is small enough and comms are important for success.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Absolutely agree on HLL being an amazing time when people are communicating. It’s the most rewarding multiplayer experience in my opinion.

However, like you say, it just doesn’t work well when players don’t want to speak. It actually becomes one of the most frustrating multiplayer experiences at that point for me.
HLL is one of the games that swings from such a satisfying game when your squad talks and coordinates and takes over positions to pure shit when you see everyone leaving a position and slowly losing it to 2 people because your whole squad wants to sprint to the next position

nemiroff

Gold Member
Trying to shoehorn Arma onto consoles? Hmm, will it break the community or not.. Will suddenly dying without having a clue how it happened be more or less fun this time. Will for sure be interesting to see the final result.

Last edited:

salva

Hyped if this is dropping on Xbox tomorrow/soon. While I'd love to play on PC, my PC is too shit.
Could easily spend a long time playing scenarios/editor

hlm666

Hyped if this is dropping on Xbox tomorrow/soon. While I'd love to play on PC, my PC is too shit.
Could easily spend a long time playing scenarios/editor
couple of posts above you mentions a 2024/25 release date, not sure this will be dropping soon anywhere ;)

Gp1

Better performance
Better CQC
Better AI and no more laser sight AI through grass
Better physics and gore model like the older games
Something like ACE and other mods completely integrated on the game.

Fuck it I'll day one anyway, like every other game in the series since OPF.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The game is pumping too. You’d think the people that bother playing it would wise up to the nature of comms.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Going to try and watch. I very briefly got into the ARMA franchise via a dude I met on Steam playing some other game - he had a group of friends that were regulars so I was able to hop in and learn from them.

I really enjoyed the experience, thought the open design was novel for the genre, and appreciated how deep many of the systems were, but I couldn't stick with due to A. the complexity and how involved everything was and B. the rather unstructured, sandbox, make your own fun gameplay. I think point B. is awesome, but I just didn't have the time to devote to the long sessions it takes to setup skirmishes and confrontations with other teams. So I am hoping the heart of this new release remains honest to its predecessors, but reduces the complexity and adds more structured activities. I don't want another CoD clone, but an ARMA that gets little closer to CoD.

daffyduck

Yeah, she got carried away.

- Must have missed something, why is the chat saying Arma 4 in twenty years?
Must have meant the Enfusion Engine has been developed over the course of 20 yrs

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Should've been gamepass, GL to creating a community for a niche game on Xbox.

The BI brand is rough games that take forever to patch and full of jank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom