• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 |OT| Vault Hunter, Welcome Back To The Borderlands

I was hoping Zane will be a good replacement for Roland/Axton but I'm just not feeling him - not one of his trees. I'll keep going with him but Fl4k crit build was way more fun from the get-go.

And unskippable intros/videos on new playthroughs; really Gearbox? Campaign's gonna get old fast anyway, no need to make it extra annoying.

Moze always seemed to me to be the closest thing to Axton/Roland by looking at the talents.

I went with Amara as my main but was going to switch to Moze once I get Amara to 50.

Desudzer10

I think Moze is the best all-around. Fl4k is definitely the best boss killer. Amara is the most fun. And zane is just zane.

Mista

Banned
So after finishing the game I decided to join a friends session and help them. Noticed that I don’t get XP from missions, only from killing enemies.

xray49er

Did they do some sort of patch. just got done playing a little bit and it was unplayable so much stuttering and just plain freezing in middle of gunfights. This was on the x1x. This was really bad and left me not wanting to go back. I kept switching from performance to resolution and nothing worked

Iorv3th

Well I have to say the game is a lot better after that opening area. Still framerate issues and some bugs that shouldn't be there and writing that is terrible. But it's a lot better once you get off that opening planet.

Tygeezy

So after finishing the game I decided to join a friends session and help them. Noticed that I don’t get XP from missions, only from killing enemies.
Those are some great incentives to do play with friends not as far into the game as you... I wondered how they handled this. Thanks for letting us know.

Question for any other high lvl Amara players. I switched the property of phase cast from electric to corrosive. Is there any way to switch it back?

I don't see any diamond talents in the mystic tree to switch it back to electric.

Liljagare

Can Iron Bear be deployed as a stationary weapon? Axton/Roland's turrets were the main draw for me so I thought Zane's clone/drone will fit the bill this time around.

She has a skill called autobear, and several skills to augment it. Well, two.. :p But it makes for a mighty fine turret.

TacosNSalsa

Anointed tinks are creepy as hell..I freaked out when I first fought one .

The deeper I get into Zane's tree the more he makes sense . I already have a n end game Moze so I'll stick with him for a bit and see what I can do

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Did they do some sort of patch. just got done playing a little bit and it was unplayable so much stuttering and just plain freezing in middle of gunfights. This was on the x1x. This was really bad and left me not wanting to go back. I kept switching from performance to resolution and nothing worked
Turn off quick start up.
And turn your xbox one x completely OFF

This will fix it

Last edited:

INC

So is zane really that bad? I've managed to solo just fine in TVHM

The instant kill skill perk is great, equipped a jacoks legendary pistol and tpyou shred through enemies

Only picked him coz all my friends didnt want to lol

Running sentry and digi-clone

YT reviewers must have such an existential crisis reviewing this game that are purely personality driven.

I saw the AJ review and you could tell he was tilted as fuck.

Spukc

The instant kill skill perk is great, equipped a jacoks legendary pistol and tpyou shred through enemies

No zane is fun people suck at builds

Pong!

Neo Member
Can Iron Bear be deployed as a stationary weapon? Axton/Roland's turrets were the main draw for me so I thought Zane's clone/drone will fit the bill this time around.
As Liljagare Liljagare said above, once you take Autobear in the blue skill tree, you get 15 seconds of the mech acting like a turret once you get out.

But, if you can get the legendary class mod called Overcast Kiloton Rocketeer, your mech stays out as long as it has fuel. And unlike me, it never misses its shots.

BfWocRS.jpg

TacosNSalsa

I wouldn't say he's bad at all just a bit more difficult to play than the other characters.

Raven117

Gold Member

I’ve been running Zane (was not having fun with fl4k) and never looked back. I’m using clone and the drone and and moving through the enemies just fine. I don’t know what people are bitching about.

Tygeezy

Yeah, the people saying Zane sucks are the ones playing Mayhem 3. Every character is fine if we are talking about low difficulty levels or first playthroughs. Apparently Zane is way far behind everybody else at higher difficulties. I've seen some people go as far as to say there isn't a single build from Zane that is good for mayhem 3 while Amara has multiple builds and the other characters have at least one build .

Last edited:

Mega Man

I seriously can't decide which platform to get this on once I finish the BL2 Fight for Sanctuary DLC.

On one hand: My buddy (who I played through BL2 with) is playing on XB1 and I have the XB1X with a slick 55" LG OLED.

On the other: I'd like to go Mouse & KB with my 1070ti, 32GB RAM, i7 8700(nonK), but I'd be doing it solo. That is unless they make it Crossplay in the future...

Any opinions on which route to go?

Tygeezy

I seriously can't decide which platform to get this on once I finish the BL2 Fight for Sanctuary DLC.

On one hand: My buddy (who I played through BL2 with) is playing on XB1 and I have the XB1X with a slick 55" LG OLED.

On the other: I'd like to go Mouse & KB with my 1070ti, 32GB RAM, i7 8700(nonK), but I'd be doing it solo. That is unless they make it Crossplay in the future...

There is no reason this game couldn't be crossplay.... Segregating gamers needs to end.

Duallusion

As Liljagare Liljagare said above, once you take Autobear in the blue skill tree, you get 15 seconds of the mech acting like a turret once you get out.

But, if you can get the legendary class mod called Overcast Kiloton Rocketeer, your mech stays out as long as it has fuel. And unlike me, it never misses its shots.

Oh yeah, now we're talking! Will deffo take her out for a spin after I'm done with Amara - which might take a while, given how fun she is.

Duallusion

Question for any other high lvl Amara players. I switched the property of phase cast from electric to corrosive. Is there any way to switch it back?

I don't see any diamond talents in the mystic tree to switch it back to electric.

You can unequip the element and it defaults back to lightning.

Lanrutcon

Finished the campaign tonight. Spent a few hours trying the postgame, and it's super boring: same shit with higher numbers. Locking the guardian ranks until the endboss is a super shitty move, not having any super bosses even worse. I can spend my time using one of the dozen or so loot exploits to gather legendaries, but for what? Mayem is just "use super broken build X to kill the thing quickly because it can 3 shot you due to shitty scaling". They've learned absolutely nothing from Borderlands 2's bullshit scaling and Fl4k burns anything down in seconds.

Uninstalled until there's some DLC or something. Hopefully some DLC written by someone else than the hacks who wrote the campaign.

7/10: pretty good for a game that was developed by interns. If this wins GOTY then anything can.

Tygeezy

Finished the campaign tonight. Spent a few hours trying the postgame, and it's super boring: same shit with higher numbers. Locking the guardian ranks until the endboss is a super shitty move, not having any super bosses even worse. I can spend my time using one of the dozen or so loot exploits to gather legendaries, but for what? Mayem is just "use super broken build X to kill the thing quickly because it can 3 shot you due to shitty scaling". They've learned absolutely nothing from Borderlands 2's bullshit scaling and Fl4k burns anything down in seconds.

Uninstalled until there's some DLC or something. Hopefully some DLC written by someone else than the hacks who wrote the campaign.

7/10: pretty good for a game that was developed by interns. If this wins GOTY then anything can.
Dragon age: inquisition won game of the year bro. anything can already win. It will be interesting when they add raids.

Personally, I can't imagine using a controller after doing M & KB because hip firing is so huge in this game to dodge stuff.

The entire plot is a dumpster fire of Diablo 3's plot on a meth bender levels of bad.

Eh, I still love the game but that meme rings entirely true when.
Lillith got her powers stolen and when Maya got killed. Yet it's inconsistent when you get phaselocked by the siren guy and Jakobs saves you.

Spukc

End game is pretty poopy now.
Will wait for obv QoL fixes.

And then imma roll a new char 🤭🦑🥢🦑🥢🐕😐🥳🤬🥳

Mega Man

Personally, I can't imagine using a controller after doing M & KB because hip firing is so huge in this game to dodge stuff.
Yeah I went with the PC Ver. Trying to see the forest through the trees here and PC will be my platform for the foreseeable future, and crossplay will probably be coming down the line anyways.

if you have the possibility, Try to connect your Pc with your Oled TV. The game Looks alot better, especially with HDR

WHAT THE FUCK GEARBOX...... I kill a major boss near the end of the game
Troy
, watch a long cutscene. Then the game pops me back underneath the map and I fall into oblivion and die only to respawn stuck. Now I can't get any of the loot that dropped, none of it was in the lost loot box.

Apparently this is a widespread issue that's happened to a lot of people that's been known for nearly two weeks that still hasn't been fixed. The speculation is that during the cut scene, the game places your character underneath the map so when you regain control that's why your underneath it.

This should be a high priority bug that get's hotfixed in 48 hours.

Last edited:

BrettWeir

WHAT THE FUCK GEARBOX...... I kill a major boss near the end of the game
Troy
, watch a long cutscene. Then the game pops me back underneath the map and I fall into oblivion and die only to respawn stuck. Now I can't get any of the loot that dropped, none of it was in the lost loot box.

Apparently this is a widespread issue that's happened to a lot of people that's been known for nearly two weeks that still hasn't been fixed. The speculation is that during the cut scene, the game places your character underneath the map so when you regain control that's why your underneath it.

This should be a high priority bug that get's hotfixed in 48 hours.

Yep. Happens every time for me. Have to go to Sanctuary and pray my loot box isn't full.

Yep. Happens every time for me. Have to go to Sanctuary and pray my loot box isn't full.

My lost loot box has actually never worked period lol. Is there a side quest that I skipped to unlock it or something?

Like it's never worked, period and I'm lvl 36 at the end of the game.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So I'm farther in since my last thoughts post, and I went through a stretch where my enjoyment of it really elevated of it, and now it has started to decline again. I just find the side missions in this so damn tedious. A few have been really cool, but most of them are basically glorified fetch quests, except it's "GO FETCH THIS! NO, THAT'S NOT IT, FETCH THE OTHER THING! NO.. NO... THE OTHER THING! YES, FINALLY YOU GOT IT! NOW GO BEAT HORDES MORE ENEMIES BEFORE YOU BRING IT BACK TO ME!" it's soooo tediouuuuus. I think they made the maps too big for their own good. So much needless driving and pointless areas, they could have cut them down by about 30% and not lost much. If you wanted to make them that big, at least load up some hard to find corners with secret chest containing legendaries or whatnot.

And I don't know if maybe I wasn't using the right guns with the right elemental properties, but was
The Vaultward
a reaaaaally long fight for anyone else here? Thing took me like half an hour to kill. I mean, that's way too damn long for a fight in an action shooter.

FMXVII

So I'm farther in since my last thoughts post, and I went through a stretch where my enjoyment of it really elevated of it, and now it has started to decline again. I just find the side missions in this so damn tedious. A few have been really cool, but most of them are basically glorified fetch quests, except it's "GO FETCH THIS! NO, THAT'S NOT IT, FETCH THE OTHER THING! NO.. NO... THE OTHER THING! YES, FINALLY YOU GOT IT! NOW GO BEAT HORDES MORE ENEMIES BEFORE YOU BRING IT BACK TO ME!" it's soooo tediouuuuus. I think they made the maps too big for their own good. So much needless driving and pointless areas, they could have cut them down by about 30% and not lost much. If you wanted to make them that big, at least load up some hard to find corners with secret chest containing legendaries or whatnot.

And I don't know if maybe I wasn't using the right guns with the right elemental properties, but was
The Vaultward
a reaaaaally long fight for anyone else here? Thing took me like half an hour to kill. I mean, that's way too damn long for a fight in an action shooter.

It is a long, dull road... first playthrough.

-MD-

Is there a character/build in the game similar to Zero/Bloodshed (mobile/melee focus)?

Last edited:

Duallusion

Negative guardian ranks, unskippable cutscenes, slowass menus etc. - where the fuck is that first patch, Gearbox?

There's also too much driving involved, even with much better teleport system in place. Subsequent playthroughs start to drag and I was hoping they'll give us procedural, mission-based endgame this time; kindda what Diablo III has, where you can level up other toons withouth having to go through another playthrough.

Side missions are fine, structurally - this is a looter shooter, not a story-based RPG. Give me baddies to shoot, loot to collect and I'm good.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

The Vaultward
Yeah, I'm still on my first playthrough so I decided to pause (I'm at level 18) and go back and do some side missions.
The problem with waiting for side missions is that they don't auto-level so you could be OP during them which makes them even more boring. And any cool loot you find will also be low level and worthless to sell.
The maps seem too long lengthwise (skinny) with lots of areas you can't get to.
There should be more fast travel spots and more vending machines which for the life of me, don't understand why they limit them.
If you are going to give me such a small backpack inventory, give me a chance to sell or power shop without having to trek a mile back.
I just did the one spy side-mission on Promethues I think (the one with low gravity). You are supposed to turn on some speaker. They literally threw 4 hordes at me. Hit this switch, send in the enemies, then hit that switch, send in another group, etc.
It's fun but I'm getting almost no XP and lousy drops.
I still love the game but they could have spent more time tweaking those.

Mega Man

I chose Zane because I figured he'd be the best lay back and Snipe class. Did I make a mistake? Only level 8, but what's with all the hate compared to the other classes?

Zane sucks.

And not just at endgame, where he is CLEARLY the worst by a huge margin.

He is weak all over.

He was my first high level toon.

Then I took Fl4k for a spin, and never looked back.

The DPS difference is staggering.

And Fl4k might be the weakest of the three good characters.
I'm leaning towards thinking that Amara is the best character. Tank+heavy elemental damage+good action skill. I love the blue tree skill line. She simply explodes everything.

BrettWeir

My lost loot box has actually never worked period lol. Is there a side quest that I skipped to unlock it or something?

Like it's never worked, period and I'm lvl 36 at the end of the game.

There's definitely something wrong. It's always worked for me.

There's definitely a lot of bugs they should be working on. Hopefully it's fixed soon for you.

Top Bottom