• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands Movie First Look - IGN Exclusive

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Check out this exclusive first look at the upcoming video game movie adaptation, Borderlands!

Directed by Eli Roth, Borderlands is based on the video games created by Gearbox Software and published by 2K. The film stars Cate Blanchett, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Edgar Ramírez, Ariana Greenblatt, Florian Munteanu, Gina Gershon, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Lilith (Blanchett), an infamous treasure hunter with a mysterious past, reluctantly returns to her home planet of Pandora to find the missing daughter of Atlas (Ramírez), the universe’s most powerful S.O.B. She forms an unexpected alliance with a ragtag team of misfits – Roland (Hart), once a highly respected soldier, but now desperate for redemption; Tiny Tina (Greenblatt), a feral pre-teen demolitionist; Krieg (Munteanu), Tina’s musclebound, rhetorically challenged protector; Tannis (Curtis), the scientist who’s seen it all; and Claptrap (Black), a persistently wiseass robot.

These unlikely heroes must battle alien monsters and dangerous bandits to find and protect the missing girl, who may hold the key to unimaginable power. The fate of the universe could be in their hands – but they’ll be fighting for something more: each other.

Lionsgate presents, in association with Media Capital Technologies, an Arad / Picturestart production, a Gearbox Studios / 2K production. Lionsgate will release Borderlands in the US and UK on August 9, 2024.

Last edited:

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
to old of a cast
Very Funny Oops GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

delfrickintree

Gold Member
once this releases, watch how many goons come out of the woodwork saying they really like this show!! wow, who wouldve thought.

fallout was shit, this is shit, gaming is shit, tv is shit. yet people are still eating it

LukeAJN

Hope I end up being wrong as I love the universe but that looks awful. Like Resident Evil movie levels of awful.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The video game series is already the video game equivalent of Marvel quips and sarcasm.

The last thing I need to see is a video game adaption that's just like a Marvel movie.

Pass.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't know what dirt they have on Cate Blanchett to get her to agree on this but it must be devastating.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I don't know if I'm old, jaded, been burned too many times, sick of pop culture etc etc etc but this looks awful and I was a huge Borderlands fan.

I just wonder if I saw this exact same trailer in like 2013 would I have been excited?

delfrickintree

Gold Member
I don't know if I'm old, jaded, been burned too many times, sick of pop culture etc etc etc but this looks awful and I was a huge Borderlands fan.

I just wonder if I saw this exact same trailer in like 2013 would I have been excited?
I remember being excited for a handful of game adaptions to movies back in the day. They never blew my mind

SHA

The games can be a lot of fun, but if there's one franchise where I try to ignore and skip as much plot and character dialogue as I can, it's Borderlands. I can't imagine subjecting myself to 90+ minutes of it.
There is no plot with midgets, just gameplay, they aren't worthy of plot.

SHA

At least they must try mimicking the first Borderlands in the series, the most believable down to earth story, I have no issues with this idea, looks fine to me.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't think Eli Roth has made a single good movie in his entire career.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this one.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
same as everyone else said, that cast is not it which is unfortunate cuz the movie quality looks great

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
That does not sound like claptrap.

Oh well , at least borderlands 4 will be announced soon. Hopefully current Gen only.

I need my dopamine simulator and borderlands fits that bill.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ouch, it looks terrible. This cast is a joke, they should have had someone like Christopher Judge for Roland

FbaLyuW.png

and Lauren Cohan as Lilith

wlYdVM5.jpeg

Or cast completely unknown actors to save on the money and try to go all in, take more risks with an almost Fury Road approach and a well-crafted humor. They had time if I'm not mistaken, it's not a rushed project and yet it looks very... boring. Borderlands is typically an IP where you can do anything if it's done with a little care IMHO.

semiconscious

Gold Member
I don't know what dirt they have on Cate Blanchett to get her to agree on this but it must be devastating.
'y'know, i'm 55, i've had a great career, but just once, while i'm still physically able to, just once? i'd love to play a genuine badass action character & fuck the place up!...'

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah. It is an alternate universe adaptation. The movie is like it's own thing, much like the MCU.

It kind of annoys me.

They could have just jumped ahead in the future when the characters are a little older. Then have the actress that voices Tiny Tina play her.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wow they actually opened the trailer with Claptrap making a poo joke. There’s that quality Borderlands writing we all love and can’t get enough of.

Top Bottom