• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands movie reshoots taken over by Deadpool director

Draugoth

Gold Member
MV5BMGJlYjc2MjMtOGIyNy00MWY4LWE5YmEtODljMjExNmRmMGMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMTI1Mjk3._V1_-1280x874.jpg

Reshoots for the long-in-development Borderlands live-action film have been taken over by Deadpool director Tim Miller.

Deadline reports that original director Eli Roth has handed over the reins of the project for the final two weeks of shooting as he departs for a new project.

Deadline reports that the handing over of the production was “amicable.” This follows the first test screenings of the films which took place last year.

source

Kimahri

Banned
Wow, reshoots. Oh no.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Roth had a scheduling conflict that made it necessary to bring in someone else.

Edit: Reshoots are extremely common. Many productions even schedule for them at the beginning.

The lotr trilogy had extensive reshoots for example.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Wow, reshoots. Oh no.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Roth had a scheduling conflict that made it necessary to bring in someone else.
It states that very fact in the OP's summary.

Tim Miller's work is hit or miss, but it seems odd they'd need to bring in a new Director as opposed to, say, letting the first assistant director or second unit director carry it across the line. I'm guessing that the humour needs tweaking, which is where Miller's work has been strongest in the past.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Must be why they are so hesitant to show it off. Lionsgate wants this to be a hit franchise for them, something they havent had since the hunger games and saw, and tried to get ( but failed ) with power rangers

wipeout364

This is the kind of property where it could be the worst thing ever filmed or the greatest. Borderlands is both irritating and amazing at the same time. My opinion varies depending on the day.

Wow, reshoots. Oh no.

It is what it is I guess.

I think they reshot Mad Max a bunch of times and it ended up being pretty decent. Not always the end of the world.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wow, reshoots. Oh no.

Edit: Reshoots are extremely common. Many productions even schedule for them at the beginning.

The lotr trilogy had extensive reshoots for example.

Why are you reshooting with a more proven director who has already shown they can make marketable genre content?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why are you reshooting with a more proven director who has already shown they can make marketable genre content?

Roth's a way more experienced director, and co-wrote the screenplay.

Say what you want about him and his movies, but he's been around a long time. Cabin Fever was 2002.

Fbh

The test screening is only with Randy Pitchford.

They just show him the movie and whenever he finds a scene funny they know it needs to be reshot.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Roth's a way more experienced director, and co-wrote the screenplay.

Say what you want about him and his movies, but he's been around a long time. Cabin Fever was 2002.

And Tim Miller directed - I believe - the highest grossing R rated movie with DEADPOOL. Roth may have more full length feature experience, but Miller is a known commodity.

. . .now this could TOTALLY just be Roth not being available and Miller having a robust background in film making and able to easily slip in after another director. Depends on the reshoots and how significant they are (but then why wouldn't you just get an AD for this).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And Tim Miller directed - I believe - the highest grossing R rated movie with DEADPOOL. Roth may have more full length feature experience, but Miller is a known commodity.

. . .now this could TOTALLY just be Roth not being available and Miller having a robust background in film making and able to easily slip in after another director. Depends on the reshoots and how significant they are (but then why wouldn't you just get an AD for this).

Well yeah, principal was only in the middle of 2021 (according to imdb) which doesn't leave much time for edit and post... so maybe they wanted someone familiar with heavy fx driven movies to finish it off. Also this project's apparently been in development for a long time so I suspect there's a lot of pressure to get it out on screens asap. The wikpedia article suggests Roth's conflict is him needing to get on board Thanksgiving, which considering that's based on his fake Grindhouse trailer, is likely something he's much more personally invested in.

The bottom line for me is when a director steps away during post amicably... its pretty obvious that they were either fired (and playing nice for PR) or they weren't that invested in the first place. Looking at Roth's career its pretty obvious he's happy with being the schlockmeister with AAA Hollywood friends.

Kimahri

Banned
More proven director?

I'm sorry, but do you not know who Eli Roth is? He's got far more movies under his belt than Miller.

If anything it's the other way around. Miller is a brilliant effects guy who's been pretty hit or miss as a director.

Top Bottom