• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought Elden Ring. Did I goof?

SteadyEvo

Play it without spoilers, its such a AWESOME game, i envy you.
I am so far… and I’m wandering around completely lost. After having my shit pushed in by the Tree Sentinel I looked up how to cheese him on horseback. During the process discovered I’d completely missed the map 🗺️ pickup and weapon. Walked past it several times.

Then I head down to the beach where I hit this crab 🦀 and only do 10 damage. Nope… Then there’s this elevator thing in the ground leading to a sword wielding boss that destroys me while causing bleeding.

Does the game provide hints on where to go next that I’m just not picking up?

Last edited:
I am so far… and I’m wandering around completely lost. After having my shit pushed in by the Tree Sentinel I looked up how to cheese him on horseback. During the process discovered I’d completely missed the map 🗺️ pickup and weapon. Walked past it several times.

Then I head down to the beach where I hit this crab 🦀 and only do 10 damage. Nope… Then there’s this elevator thing in the ground leading to a sword wielding boss that destroys me while causing bleeding.

Does the game provide hints on where to go next that I’m just not picking up?
Head towards the castle gate and rest at the site of grace there. You should pick up your waifu.

Try to adjust your mind to not looking up cheeses etc. it’s fine to be lost, confused, and shit. That is where the game shines, believe it or not. Your gradual wrangling of the game and finally getting some understanding and control is the point of it.

It took me about 25 hours to feel comfortable with it. I dearly miss being uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Krathoon

There is a huge dungeon at the start. It is worth having the extra key.
There are also some spots you can grind for souls. It seems like they are intentionally in there. They are actually pretty cool.

Fredrik

Maybe I am losing my edge but I’d hardly say Elden Ring dialed anything back to “easy” haha
Depends how you play. First playthrough I definitely had issues playing standard melee, took me like 3 hours to beat Margit lol, Godrick was about the same. But once I found out about mimic tear things got a lot easier. And another playthrough, astrologer, meteorite staff, rock sling was basically easy mode.

Krathoon

Magic caster is the easier character to play, but you have to keep your distance. Close quarters makes it harder.

Last edited:

Fredrik

So your saying it's exactly the same? Sure it's been at least refined some since demon souls.
The controls in Demon’s Souls are very similar to those in Elden Ring’s dungeons except that you can jump freely now, personally I wouldn’t call it clunky, it’s tactical and weighty, big focus on defense, no mashing allowed, you need to know what you’re doing.

Out in the open it’s slightly different, there you have a horse as well and can do mount combat and double jump and in short it removes a lot of barriers you may have felt in previous Souls games. It’s not split up in linear levels anymore, or rather they’ve moved that into the dungeons which are still very linear. There are still some level-like barriers though, it’s a very vertical map.

It’s an amazing game if you like Demon’s Souls but wish you could go explore freely instead of choosing a level from a hub like menu. But if you thought Demon’s Souls combat was too ”clunky” you’ll feel the same about Elden Ring. It’s still a classic Souls game.

So your saying it's exactly the same? Sure it's been at least refined some since demon souls.
Sadly I’ve never had the opportunity to play Demons Souls so I can’t speak for that. But it has the same set up as Ds1 onwards: roll on button release instead of button press and an inability to cancel animations.

The latter is good imo but the former really bugs me.

SteadyEvo

How do I summon players to help me? It’s not entirely clear…

Switched to Astrologer and acquired the sword of night and flame, radogons sorseal and leveled up to use the weapon. Took an hour and was worth the trouble. Now I’m in some underground night place with ghost Vikings

And I have a stone sword key in my inventory, standing in front of a statue with now way of using it. This is a strange game…

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I gave up on the series ever since i tried first with demon souls remake and I got cheap killed by stone ball rolled behind my back at the beginning of the game. It didn't help I died 7 times before I reach that ball thing. cheap bastards I am out.

Also why my character is out of fucking breath after 2 swings ? what kind a knight is this guy ? drinking cola all day ? fk

SteadyEvo

I gave up on the series ever since i tried first with demon souls remake and I got cheap killed by stone ball rolled behind my back at the beginning of the game. It didn't help I died 7 times before I reach that ball thing. cheap bastards I am out.

Also why my character is out of fucking breath after 2 swings ? what kind a knight is this guy ? drinking cola all day ? fk

That’s understandable. I have to be in the mood for exploration and punishment. Why I’m looking for the path of least resistance, OP weapons and armor. Fun game when the playing field is level

Banjo64

cumsessed
I kamehamahai’d all of the late/end game bosses, in some cases one hit KO’ing them. Easiest Souls game barring DeS on PS3 which let you cheese an awful lot of the bosses.

Tarin02543

ER is fantastic but I feel From has now fully investigated contempary open world and should make a classic souls game next. Maybe in ten year time when we all have at least 10 cores they can give it a second shot.

How do I summon players to help me? It’s not entirely clear…

Switched to Astrologer and acquired the sword of night and flame, radogons sorseal and leveled up to use the weapon. Took an hour and was worth the trouble. Now I’m in some underground night place with ghost Vikings

And I have a stone sword key in my inventory, standing in front of a statue with now way of using it. This is a strange game…
You know those statues you can activate? Place a furlcalling remedy down next to one and wait for gold signs to appear.

You can craft them easily.

Last edited:
ER is fantastic but I feel From has now fully investigated contempary open world and should make a classic souls game next. Maybe in ten year time when we all have at least 10 cores they can give it a second shot.
I agree but I fear they will never go back. With 16m sales the people have spoken.

EDMIX

disappointed-upset.gif

I enjoyed Elden Ring but it kind of remind me how much I enjoyed Sekiro much, MUCH more.

Same, twas a special game.

I wanted a sequel to that instead tbh.

Top Bottom