• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought Elden Ring. Did I goof?

bitbydeath

Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, I finished the game. I've mentioned in other threads how much I despise the endgame. I'll probably return to it one day with a cheap ass magic build, to finish it "properly".
Magic isn’t good against the final boss. Bleed builds are probably the way to go.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I didn’t have any trouble up until after the fire giant then the bosses started whipping my ass. But that’s like the last bosses of the game. 🤷‍♂️

ShadowLag

My history with Souls games

Completed:
-Demon Souls
-Dark Souls
-Summoned through Bloodborne
-Skipped DS2
-Got ass raped by the snake 🐍 guys on the roof to start of DS3. I quit.
-Don’t get me started with Sekiro. Didn’t get past the 1st zone. Absolutely soul crushing.

Did some research and hear that Elden Ring dials the difficulty back and “easy mode” can be activated with magic and summons. It’s installing now so time will tell.

Any tips for an old Souls veteran looking to breeze through are welcomed. Build tips and early weapon pickups, etc.

If you've completed any souls game, you can do it. My advice: Elden Ring is not a straight copy-paste of the souls formula. It's an open-world RPG for a reason. Don't try to bash your head against a linear path - exploring everything will make your character stronger.

My advice to you: do not skimp on vigor. The softcap in this game is 60, not the usual 40, and you should be spending at least every third level on vigor until you reach it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, I finished the game. I've mentioned in other threads how much I despise the endgame. I'll probably return to it one day with a cheap ass magic build, to finish it "properly".
That's kind of where I'm at when I play solo. I can get to Elden Beast with ease but he's so damn hard to actually hit. I had him soooooooooo close one time, literally one hit away but then the bastard got me.

I'll get him at some point, in the meantime just coop for me in my buddies game and level grinding when I feel the urge.

Elden Ring is by far the easiest game of the bunch
Only if you don't bang your head against the wall, especially at the start.

If something seems too hard, just stop and go somewhere, anywhere else. You'll continue getting more powerful and those earlier walls will much less difficult when you come back.

Last edited:

Jennings

This isn't really spoilery advice in itself, but my only advice is that you should agree to help the 4-armed chick or you will skip a very significant part of the game... like I did on my first playthrough.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If you want easy mode, go with astrologer, ramp up intelligence, find the meteorite staff and rock sling spell and mimic tear, comet is good too. You can go through the whole game with that but you’ll still struggle at certain areas and then it’s just about being stubborn and keep playing. Don’t forget to talk to people, having NPC summons on certain bosses are going to make life much easier.

Personally I think it’s more fun playing melee, then you go more hands on and need to learn attack patterns. In short, if you beat Margit and later Godrick you know you’ll be able to finish the whole game, those bosses learned me how to play the game.

Have fun!

Fredrik

Magic can still be a struggle on the final boss. I saw some comment that you could cheese the boss in seconds with meteorite of astel but must’ve had really high level or maybe they’ve nerfed the spell because it sure wasn’t easy for me.

nkarafo

Nah, Elden Ring is the easiest game in the Soulsborne series.

Because it's open world, it lacks the tight balance of the previous games. There's a LOT more stuff to find and kill than it needs, to the point where if you are the kind of player who likes exploring and clearing everything, your will become OP midway through the game without even farming once. Last third of the game you will probably be able to kill most bosses first try, like i did.

Not to mention the game gives you more helpful tools compared to the previous games, like the extra summons you can find.

And btw, i thought the game was easy without using magic or bleeding.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
No, it's most likely the best gaming decision you will make for many a year.

Just go in as blind as possible (not sure how viable that can be considering how long it's been since release) and soak it all in.

It's terrific. I think you're in for a treat - this is coming from someone who didn't care for any of the Souls games before this.

As for difficulty, I never found it overwhelming - though one boss took me the better part of an afternoon to finally beat. The game provides the freedom to have you level up and come back to any enemy that is proving too difficult. I haven't played in a while so I wouldn't know about any nerfs, but there are also "crutches" in the form of Summons that can basically trivialize some fights. Also, some builds are pretty OP. I think you'll be fine.

For a filthy casual who plays games on easy/story mode, and has never played a Soulsbourne game before, is Elden Ring a good game to jump into ? Do i need to know the lore of any of the past FromSoft titles to understand the narrative/worldbuilding ? I'm not too worried about difficulty because, on PC, i can always use a trainer or something to get by. I just want to experience a good open world, which ive been told Elden Ring has.

Fredrik

I have two words for you: Comet Azur

Enjoy.
+ three more words: cerulean hidden tear
👌

Comet azur is expensive to use though, both FP and slot wise, and the lock-on makes it bad for fast moving targets.

The regular Comet + Rock Sling were my go to spells on my last run.

GeekyDad

Bill Hader Support GIF by HBO

For a filthy casual who plays games on easy/story mode, and has never played a Soulsbourne game before, is Elden Ring a good game to jump into ? Do i need to know the lore of any of the past FromSoft titles to understand the narrative/worldbuilding ? I'm not too worried about difficulty because, on PC, i can always use a trainer or something to get by. I just want to experience a good open world, which ive been told Elden Ring has.
No lore knowledge necessary, it’s its own thing entirely.

It may not be the kind of open world you think it is, though. There are no towns and villages or otherwise friendly areas.

It’s awesome except for the last stretch and it gets unbearable after that duo
Basically this.

OP make fully sure that you have the min/max build done that you're working towards, and are fully upgraded in gear, by the time you reach the snowy mountain areas(last 5th of the game). You will have a much worse time otherwise.

Fredrik

Remember: In Elden Ring there is always somewhere else to go and explore when coming across a too hard foe.
Yup that’s spot on the reason why I think it’s so great. Even when I’m stuck I’m actually not stuck at all, there are so many ways to tackle different areas. It’s the BOTW for the Souls games, without annoying breaking weapons.

Cyborg

OP; at first you will think that you made a mistake by buying it but give it some time and you will play one of the best games. I wish you a lot of fun (and sometimes frustration)

Drizzlehell

Banned
The game throws some cheap traps at you sometimes but telling you what to avoid would feel like spoiling the fun.

Although if you want to avoid one really cheap trap that will most likely cost you a lot of souls pretty early on -
there's a chest in a ruined building on a lake where you fight a big dragon. Don't open that, especially right after you beat the dragon. That's what I did and I was so fucking pissed off, lol.

Spaceman292

Banned
If you beat Bloodborne, then you shouldn’t have a problem. Despite what the Miyazaki deep-throaters may have lead you to believe, it’s just your standard souls game (in a bloated open world).
If an open world doesn't have enough stuff, it's empty. If it has too much stuff, it's bloated. Why are people so negative?

Graciaus

I think this is highly dependent on the choices you make. I think it can be the easiest, but it can also be up there with some of the hardest FROM games.

Builds (at least at launch) simply are not balanced. More than any other game in the "series", certain build directions are massively OP whereas others are incredibly wimpy. Add to that the order in which you tackle things and the pace you take, and you have quite a wide swath of difficulty.
The game is easy until the last couple of story bosses. If you happen to use the built in summons it has little difficulty.

calistan

Same, I gave up on him and don’t plan on going back on that save. That was far enough.
I got to the last boss too, before eventually rage-uninstalling it. Highly unlikely go back.

I can see why people like the game so much but the open world is kind of sterile and mechanical. "Friendly" characters are completely static, while enemies just walk back and forth on fixed paths. They don't react if you kill the guy next to them from out of their range, and as soon as you leave their area of activation they just go back to walking the same route. They all have goomba-level AI.

Fredrik

If an open world doesn't have enough stuff, it's empty. If it has too much stuff, it's bloated. Why are people so negative?
☝️
Personally I think Elden Ring has the best open world ever, there are so many well-crafted areas and cool things to find in the game that I don’t quite understand how they’ve manage to make it. RDR2 has a more living world though. A combination of those two game worlds would be pure perfection.

it can be as easy as you want it to be or as difficult as you want.

if you play with everything the game offers you then you'll be slaughtering everyone for fun in no time. magic and or summons = easy mode. the first few hours might be tough but once you get access to the summons you'll be laughing. also the game showers you in runes so you kinda need to go out of your way to try not level up too quickly. that's how i'd describe the game: you need to go out your way to get what you want from it. the game doesn't have a difficulty menu for you to pick but lets you choose simply by playing.

easy: spam the shit out of summons. if you want an even easier time then pick a magic class. if you want to become over levelled then dump your runes into that.

hard: start as wretch and use swords/daggers/axes, etc. don't use magic/summons and don't go crazy levelling up.

the game will either hold your hand or push your shit back in for you. depends what you want.

Last edited:
it can be as easy as you want it to be or as difficult as you want.

if you play with everything the game offers you then you'll be slaughtering everyone for fun in no time. magic and or summons = easy mode. the first few hours might be tough but once you get access to the summons you'll be laughing. also the game showers you in runes so you kinda need to go out of your way to try not level up too quickly. that's how i'd describe the game: you need to go out your way to get what you want from it. the game doesn't have a difficulty menu for you to pick but lets you choose simply by playing.

easy: spam the shit out of summons. if you want an even easier time then pick a magic class. if you want to become over levelled then dump your runes into that.

hard: start as wretch and use swords/daggers/axes, etc. don't use magic/summons and don't go crazy levelling up.

the game will either hold your hand or push your shit back in for you. depends what you want.
Yup. I've seen some rage posts around the internet where people are saying its too hard but they absolutely refuse to use any spells, items or magic. And often their stat spread is ridiculous.

You can chad through the game with just a basic sword of course, but only if you either know what you're doing or you really want to put the time in and learn.

Use the tools the game gives you and build your character with focus and the game really isn't hard.

Last edited:
And my biggest tip is to really take your time and enjoy your initial play through - it's so long and rich that going through it again is just too exhausting a prospect for many people.

Krathoon

This. Go explore elsewhere. There is loads and load to see and do in the world before going to the castle. Honestly, most people go there way too soon, get their arse handed to them by the boss, and end up giving up.
Really, that first boss gives you an idea how much you need to level up.
You are meant to use magic and spirits to balance out fights.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

My history with Souls games

Completed:
-Demon Souls
-Dark Souls
-Summoned through Bloodborne
-Skipped DS2
-Got ass raped by the snake 🐍 guys on the roof to start of DS3. I quit.
-Don’t get me started with Sekiro. Didn’t get past the 1st zone. Absolutely soul crushing.

Did some research and hear that Elden Ring dials the difficulty back and “easy mode” can be activated with magic and summons. It’s installing now so time will tell.

Any tips for an old Souls veteran looking to breeze through are welcomed. Build tips and early weapon pickups, etc.
I'm surprised you are having a tough time, considering you finished Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
It's a damned good game and probably more forgiving across a run of play than most of their other titles. Currently working my way through Sekiro - a good game, but the difficulty spikes around bosses / sub-bosses are immense.
Those are some of the most bullshit enemies in the game. Kill them before they transform or just run.
I always ran and came back later for the loot (once I was leveled up a little). Other enemy I hate in DS3 are the white noodle monsters around the foot of Cathedral of the Deep.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy. Take your time, it's a meaty game, plenty to see and do.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Maybe I am losing my edge but I’d hardly say Elden Ring dialed anything back to “easy” haha

It still requires you to go online and look up the broken builds (and Soul farming spots) but those builds are way more broken than they ever were before.

That said, it was the case at launch. A lot has been patched in that time, maybe it's not so bad now - but some of the magic, bleeds, summons were press R1 to win tier.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I've only really played demon souls and came away both impressed in some ways but also not impressed with the slow, clunky controls.
Thinking about elden, but are the controls better?

Last edited:
Top Bottom