• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boulder Punch: Amnesia: The Dark Descent | Still A Stellar Horror Experience

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Over a decade later, the influence of Amnesia: The Dark Descent persists. For good reason.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the best examples of the right game coming out at the right time.

At its release in September 2010, horror games were in a lull period. The prior few years saw the rise of action-horror titles in the wake of RE4. Dialing up on the action, while dialing down the survival elements. The 7th generation offered slim pickings for survival horror compared to the 6th.

The Dark Descent was released during the rise of the indie title. Digital distribution, like Steam and Xbox Live Arcade, made it easy to publish your game.

It was released during the rise of the Let's Player. A game that was perfect for it. Many found Amnesia too scary to play themselves. But they loved watching others get scared.

Even if you strip all those factors away, it was so well received due to being one of the best showings of horror in a game. All these years later, it still is.

Light on mechanics, but it delivers a horror experience that few can compete with. Instead of jumpscares, it focuses on the fear of the unknown. It built an experience that stuck with you long after you finished playing.

It's one of the most influential titles from the 2010s. Many indies have tried to copy its style, with only a few coming close. You can feel its influence in large budgets horror titles to this day.

It's arguable that developer frictional games would top it with Soma. That said, the two amnesia sequels have failed to reach the highs of the Dark Descent.

I am very curious about Amnesia: The Bunker - as of writing, an upcoming release set in a WW1 bunker. Something to tide me over until another survival horror tile set in WW1, Conscript, releases.

As a result, I wanted to revisit The Dark Descent, which I haven't played since its release.

And time has been very kind to it. Despite how many titles took heavy influence from it. From large-budget horror, to walking simulators, to "streamer bait" indie titles. At its core, The Dark Descent delivers a horror experience that few can compete with.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Prelude
02:25 - Game Intro
04:15 - Gameplay of The Dark Descent
13:38 - Narrative of The Dark Descent (Spoilers)
19:10 - The Influence of The Dark Descent

Top Bottom