• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boulder Punch: Eternal Darkness Review | A One Of A Kind Horror Experience

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• A post-mortem of Silicon Knights https://www.neogaf.com/threads/a-po...obotnik-research-thread.503761/#post-45338777

Released in 2002 on the Gamecube, there have been few titles that play like Eternal Darkness - both in the horror realm and games in general.

From its narrative structure, its combat system, its magic system, and the patented sanity system, Eternal Darkness comes together into one amazing, cohesive title.

As great as it is to revisit Eternal Darkness, it's a bit of a bummer seeing how the fate of its studio, Silicon Knights would turn out. It's downfall is different than other studios in the industry, where they severed a enviable partnership with Nintendo and made mistake after mistake and would eventually go under.

00:00 - Prelude
01:11 - Availability of Eternal Darkness
01:46 - Making of Eternal Darkness
02:58 - Gameplay of Eternal Darkness
06:23 - The Sanity System
10:34 - Highlights of Eternal Darkness (Spoilers)
21:21 - The Tragedy of Silicon Knights
25:23 - Conclusion

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
gM0p58V.jpg

NeptuneCL

Eternal Darkness is truly one hell of a experience! The plot is so well cohesionated, is super fun and the voice acting is..., OMG, stellar!

Too bad Silicon Knight didn't make a sequel in their time with Nintendo or maybe thay had plans for it, who knows.

Magnficent game.

Shifty

The white whale. I had a copy back when, but it managed to be such an effective horror by reputation alone that I never got past the "put the disc in the drive and turn on the console" scare :messenger_fearful:

I should probably take another look now I've got my horror legs. The losing your mind meta stuff seems really interesting.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Another lengthy retrospective! This time diving into the twisted, Lovecraft inspired world of Eternal Darkness - one of the finest survival horror games ever made.

We'll review, discuss and critique every single element of the game and also look at the disturbing history of it's developer Silicon Knights. Where else are you going to be able to watch a video that covers the Legacy of Kain, Metal Gear Solid, HP Lovecraft, Kickstarter and 90s Nintendo all in two hours?

It's part critique, part retrospective, part review and part history lesson - obviously full of spoilers and obviously full of my opinions.

-----
CHAPTERS

00:00:00 - The Lurking Fear (Introduction)
00:03:15 - In the Vault of Eryx (History)
00:09:25 - The Doom that came to Samarth (Development)
00:20:23 - Beyond the Walls of Sleep (Format)
00:26:10 - The Outsider (Premise)
00:36:31 - The Battle that Ended the Century (Combat)
00:46:36 - The Alchemist (Magic)
00:53:22 - The Man of Stone (Subversion)
00:57:43 - Rats in the Walls (Atmosphere)
01:06:13 - Collapsing Cosmoses (Sanity)
01:14:48 - Deaf, Dumb and Blind (Negatives)
01:21:32 - The Whisperer in the Darkness (Fear)
01:29:13 - History of the Necronomicon (Influences)
01:34:32 - The Nameless City (Finale)
01:46:15 - The Other Gods (Consequence)
01:53:20 - The Shunned House (Sequel)
01:59:11 - Ex Oblivione (Conclusion)

NT80

Eternal Darkness is truly one hell of a experience! The plot is so well cohesionated, is super fun and the voice acting is..., OMG, stellar!

Too bad Silicon Knight didn't make a sequel in their time with Nintendo or maybe thay had plans for it, who knows.

Magnficent game.
A sequel was being made.

Top Bottom