• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand New Cherry Flavor

I had trouble falling asleep last night so I decided to randomly throw this on. Knew nothing about it going in. Expectations were very low given it's a Netflix series.

I ended up watching the first 4 episodes straight. It's not amazing but it's pretty entertaining. The show gets pretty weird. Definitely a style-over-substance type of show but that's sorta my thing.

Anyone else watching this? I plan on finishing it tonight, so no spoilers please.

Also, I just watched the trailer and going off the trailer I wouldn't have watched the show. Not a great trailer but I would recommend just going in blind. You'd probably know by the end of the first few episodes whether the show is for you.

EDIT: fixed the video link

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I did watch the first episode when I was laying down to take a nap.

Seems like a horror story based on #MeToo. I saw it coming a mile away. More of Netflix’s bread and butter.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It is not
Young woman in Hollywood is roped in by a powerful, influential mogul, and thinks her dreams are going to come true and she's going to go from a nobody to rich and famous. A few scenes happen and he tries to fuck her a few times, then she stands up to him a few times and gets revenge on him.
What is NOT a #MeToo-based revenge fantasy in that plot?

Young woman in Hollywood is roped in by a powerful, influential mogul, and thinks her dreams are going to come true and she's going to go from a nobody to rich and famous. A few scenes happen and he tries to fuck her a few times, then she stands up to him a few times and gets revenge on him.
What is NOT a #MeToo-based revenge fantasy in that plot?
I mean it has a splash of #metoo since it involves a female lead and Hollywood, but her revenge plot ends up fucking her over very quickly. she also doesn't want to get revenge because he tries to fuck her. she doesn't really care about that. it's because he stole her movie. #metoo wouldn't involve the revenge exploding in her face and fucking her over.

edit: I mean if you lump everything that involves a woman wanting a revenge as #metoo, then sure. but that's like saying Martyrs is a #metoo movie because it's a revenge film based on a woman being abused. but that would be an absurd argument to make.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I did watch the first episode when I was laying down to take a nap.

Seems like a horror story based on #MeToo. I saw it coming a mile away. More of Netflix’s bread and butter.
That is not what it is about at all. Maybe you should watch more closely. It's set in like the 90s anyway.

I had trouble falling asleep last night so I decided to randomly throw this on. Knew nothing about it going in. Expectations were very low given it's a Netflix series.

I ended up watching the first 4 episodes straight. It's not amazing but it's pretty entertaining. The show gets pretty weird. Definitely a style-over-substance type of show but that's sorta my thing.

Anyone else watching this? I plan on finishing it tonight, so no spoilers please.

Also, I just watched the trailer and going off the trailer I wouldn't have watched the show. Not a great trailer but I would recommend just going in blind. You'd probably know by the end of the first few episodes whether the show is for you.

I loved this show. Watched it a week or 2 ago. Really entertaining. Also very weird. I got a real Twin Peaks vibe at times. You got through episode 4, so you're definitely got to one of the weirdest moment. LOL! There's more weirdness ahead, and worth a watch to the end. We learn more about the events that transpired prior to the start of the first episode, and how ties into the present day. I love oddball shows like this.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Reminded me of channel zero stuff on syfy Think had some of the same people working on it. Enjoyed it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I watched the first couple of episodes and enjoyed it although it got a little more Lynchian than I was expecting. Plan on finishing it up.

Kev Kev

i really enjoyed it. also went in blind and i was very pleasantly surprised.

i loved catherine keener (boro). she was so funny and her demeanor and presence were just spot on for that character and the show. she really stole the show for me. id love to see a lot more of her. the only i know her from is into the wild, where she perfectly portrayed an older hippie chick and was very memorbale despite inly being like 10-15 minutes of the film. cant say enough good things about her asit relates to brand new cherry flavor. she killed it.

i didnt find the main girl annoying, which i thought i was going to. i think she did a great job being a strong woman without being overly woke and annoying or anything like that. i loved the weirdness, the twists and turns, the over all vibe of the whole thing.it was a really fun ride and ill probably watch it again some day

not much else i can say right now till you finish it. update when you do! i definitely have some questions and theories id like to discuss

Last edited:
i really enjoyed it. also went in blind and i was very pleasantly surprised.

i loved catherine keener (boro). she was so funny and her demeanor and presence were just spot on for that character and the show. she really stole the show for me. id love to see a lot more of her. the only i know her from is into the wild, where she perfectly portrayed an older hippie chick and was very memorbale despite inly being like 10-15 minutes of the film. cant say enough good things about her asit relates to brand new cherry flavor. she killed it.

i didnt find the main girl annoying, which i thought i was going to. i think she did a great job being a strong woman without being overly woke and annoying or anything like that. i loved the weirdness, the twists and turns, the over all vibe of the whole thing.it was a really fun ride and ill probably watch it again some day

not much else i can say right now till you finish it. update when you do! i definitely have some questions and theories id like to discuss
I finished it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Kev Kev

I finished it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the show.
ok so i feel like there needs to be a part 2, no?

dont get me wrong, i loved the way it ended and i felt like most of the plot got wrapped up, and the rest we can leave to our imagination, but what about her mom? what happens to the jaguar? is the jaguar actually the couch or is it the scary spirit thing we see show up once in a while? whats going to happen to boro now? is the jaguar still trying to kill her? how did the girl just whip out witch powers and kill that hitman? is she going to go on to make movies or do same wicked witch shit? is the girl with one eye inside of boros old body now? how is that going to play out?

so many questions! but at the same time i kind of like the idea that it doesnt have a definitive ending and is open for interoperation and extra viewings. but man, it was really solid and id be down for a part 2 that really ties everything up.

i guess the biggest thing for me was the bit about her mom. did she resolve that or was it left kind of open ended? i might have missed something but it felt like they tried to tie in the lady with no face as being her mom or something, but i think it kind of went over my head.

ok so i feel like there needs to be a part 2, no?

dont get me wrong, i loved the way it ended and i felt like most of the plot got wrapped up, and the rest we can leave to our imagination, but what about her mom? what happens to the jaguar? is the jaguar actually the couch or is it the scary spirit thing we see show up once in a while? whats going to happen to boro now? is the jaguar still trying to kill her? how did the girl just whip out witch powers and kill that hitman? is she going to go on to make movies or do same wicked witch shit? is the girl with one eye inside of boros old body now? how is that going to play out?

so many questions! but at the same time i kind of like the idea that it doesnt have a definitive ending and is open for interoperation and extra viewings. but man, it was really solid and id be down for a part 2 that really ties everything up.

i guess the biggest thing for me was the bit about her mom. did she resolve that or was it left kind of open ended? i might have missed something but it felt like they tried to tie in the lady with no face as being her mom or something, but i think it kind of went over my head.
I think one of the reasons she is returning home to Brazil at the end of the show is to resolve the shit with her mother. I think her mother is somehow connected to the jaguar, and as a result the jaguar's blood is in Lisa. This is why Boro was so excited to find her. You see that before Lisa showed up, Boro wasn't even able to do some tarot card reading for the lady at her house because she was so weak. Through Lisa, she was able to harvest the power of the jaguar again.

I think that demon looking entity that she keeps seeing is the spirit behind the jaguar. The spirit took the form of a jaguar at some time, and also took the form of her mother at another time. Her mother not having a face is simply due to Lisa having never saw her mother's face. This whole part is sorta convoluted so it is tricky to figure out. When Lisa goes into the basement and asks the lady with no face to show her true form, she sees the demon thing.

I think we will likely get a new season. Boro will likely be hunting down Lisa while Lisa discovers the origins of her power in Brazil and gets stronger or some shit.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I think one of the reasons she is returning home to Brazil at the end of the show is to resolve the shit with her mother. I think her mother is somehow connected to the jaguar, and as a result the jaguar's blood is in Lisa. This is why Boro was so excited to find her. You see that before Lisa showed up, Boro wasn't even able to do some tarot card reading for the lady at her house because she was so weak. Through Lisa, she was able to harvest the power of the jaguar again.

I think that demon looking entity that she keeps seeing is the spirit behind the jaguar. The spirit took the form of a jaguar at some time, and also took the form of her mother at another time. Her mother not having a face is simply due to Lisa having never saw her mother's face. This whole part is sorta convoluted so it is tricky to figure out. When Lisa goes into the basement and asks the lady with no face to show her true form, she sees the demon thing.

I think we will likely get a new season. Boro will likely be hunting down Lisa while Lisa discovers the origins of her power in Brazil and gets stronger or some shit.
oooooooh ok! that makes so much sense, thanks for the insight!

man now im looking forward to watching it again. im kinda dense and missed all that :messenger_grinning_sweat:. maybe ill wait till october closer to halloween. i think this might be a new fall show for me to watch. and yeah i really hope they have a second part. thanks again!

oooooooh ok! that makes so much sense, thanks for the insight!

man now im looking forward to watching it again. im kinda dense and missed all that :messenger_grinning_sweat:. maybe ill wait till october closer to halloween. i think this might be a new fall show for me to watch. and yeah i really hope they have a second part. thanks again!
for sure! I could be off. curious what other people who watched the show think.

Top Bottom