• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new to Xbox and Gamepass

Cocksman

Hello. I just got my very first Xbox ever. I was able to find a Xbox series X out in the wild. I also have a 3 month trial of Gamepass ultimate. A couple quick questions..

I hear rumblings that you can get Gamepass for fairly cheap for up to 36 months somehow. Can someone explain how to do this as if you were talking to a toddler?

Also are the Fable games worth playing through in 2022? How dated are they? I’d like to give the series a shot before the upcoming reboot.

Thanks !

envyzeal

Regarding gamepass I don't know much about it, I only subscribed for 1 month.
Fable games didn't age very well IMO, but I still recommend them.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Buy 3 years worth of Gold cards, start new account, DO NOT accept the extra month for subscribing and when you have 36 months of Gold choose the option for upgrading to Ultimate for $1.

This only works with new Xbox accounts

And this only works after your current Game Pass subscription expires.

kingfey

Banned

Play record of ludoss war immediately.​

That is one of the hottest gamepass jprg game. Good game, and very fun, if you like platform games.

As for gamepass, make new xbox live account. Buy 3 years worth of xbox live.
Use that first on that account. Then, apply for the 3 month gamepass.

It won't work, if you already have gamepass.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

As you have been told, you buy up to 3 years of XLiveGold and then use the 1 month new player offer=1$ Your 3 years of XbliveGold will become 3 years of Gamepass Ultimate.

Learned this, I can not miss the reminder that you should use the REWARDS POINTS app. With a couple of minutes a day and playing games, you can earn up to €180 a year (€15 a month) to spend on whatever you want. Among others, to pay Gamepass Ultimate every month and play a multitude of games ( many of these day one) for "free".

Enjoy your new console...

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Congratulations! After installing GamePass I would recommend the following:

Prey
Hitman Trilogy
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Forza Horizon 5
Nobody Saves the World
Outer Wilds

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hello. I just got my very first Xbox ever. I was able to find a Xbox series X out in the wild. I also have a 3 month trial of Gamepass ultimate. A couple quick questions..

I hear rumblings that you can get Gamepass for fairly cheap for up to 36 months somehow. Can someone explain how to do this as if you were talking to a toddler?

Also are the Fable games worth playing through in 2022? How dated are they? I’d like to give the series a shot before the upcoming reboot.

Thanks !
What games do you like? There are literally too many to choose from. If you like Fallout games, play those. Halo games? Play those. Gears of War? Play those.

Robb

Gold Member
I did the same as you OP, Series X is also my first ever Xbox. You are in for a good time!

gamepass-ultimate.gif

Start putting all the BC games you want on your wishlist and check once a week for sales. Happens frequently.

Get 3 years GP as detailed above.

Chill until 2025.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Thanks !

When you are not a gamepass member, get up to 3yrs of gold for the cheapest price u can, once you have inputted all the the xblg gold codes and u have 3yrs of gold on your account you select the option to get gampass ultimate from the gamepass tab, I think new customers can do it for £1, then it will convert the 3yrs of gold to 3yrs of gamepass ultimate.

Assuming you have decent internet just stream anything that catches your fancy. After 30 minutes if you're still having fun go ahead and download it.

OP, re: Fable games, the first one was the best, the second was very good, and the third was hit or miss.

That’s why there’s a lot of hope that the Forza Horizon devs can return Fable to form (and make it open world to boot).

Also, re: GamePass ultimate there are a lot of sites that sell codes for cheap (like $18 US for 3 months). Stock up on those codes when they’re available…

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Really? Thats cool. So when my 3 years is up I can do it again? That makes no sense from their side, good on ours.
You can. But you will have to serve the penalty for that. That means no gamepass until 3-4 months on your account. The, the 3 years would be active again.

Antwix

Really? Thats cool. So when my 3 years is up I can do it again? That makes no sense from their side, good on ours.
Yep. The only difference is when you do it the first time, you'll get the $1 offer for gamepass. Where as when you do it any time after that, you will most likely be forced to buy it at $15 for a 1 month card to do the conversion. Works the same though.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, just to reiterate in this post, you can do the “free gamepass” trick with an old account that has already done it.

I’ve just resubbed for another 3 years, works out at just over £3 a month, unbelievable value!

As others have said, make sure that it’s only 36 months, as that’s the limit to be able to do it.
Hope it still works by 2024.
I’m subbed until February 2025, I very much doubt this will still be an option by then tbh! I think Microsoft are just taking a hit to gain market share, it should be more than three times the price I paid.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Welcome aboard! While I've been meaning to give the Fable games a replay, I know they're pretty dated. however my best friend did a yuuuuge playthrough of Fable Anniversary Edition, Fable 2 and 3 multiple times and he is a finicky fuck. So if he managed to have a blast despite often demanding modern gaming conveniences I'd imagine they must be good enough to overlook the flaws. He actually also played through the Halo collection before Infinite's launch, and before that the Gears franchise. I don't know how he managed to avoid burnout, but I respect that. Gamepass has really gave him and his son a ton of entertainment on a limited budget.

As for the GP deal trick I managed to get it to work when I got my One X years ago, then retrying in 2021 when I got my Series X was a bit challenging. Didn't want to work. I totally second going after MS rewards as you can rack up a good amount quite easily, and combining that with regular purchases and sales specials will also build points up nicely. Feels like every month I'm easily getting over 50 spacebucks. This month I'm at 62k points.

My recs would be the Fables since you're interested. Record of Lodoss War/ Touhou Luna Nights for metroidvania fun, Scarlet Nexus/Neir Automata for action rpg fun, Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc/ AI The Insomnium Files for visual novel, Dragon Quest XI S/FFX/FFXIII/XIII 2, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4, Taikono Tatsujin for a rhythm game, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Hades, Maneater, Prey, Dishonored series, The Ascent, Psychonauts 1&2, Control, Code Vein, Destroy All Humans, Dooooooms, Dragon Ages, The Evil Withins, Greedfall, Hollow Night, Kameo, Mass Effects, Octopath Traveller, Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries( a personal favorite, so easy to sink tons of time into), A Plague Tale, Sniper Elite 4, Snow Runner, State of Decay 2, Wasteland 2, Wolfensteins, and the Yakuza series especially 7 Like a Dragon! Sorry for the list spamming. There is a ton of content to dig into. Tons more I didn't mention, regardless have fun dood!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I would buy 3 x 12-month Xbox Live Gold cards that frequently go on sale on Newegg for $49.99. Stack 3 of them on your Microsoft account, so you have 36-months of Gold. Then buy or redeem a month of GP Ultimate. The first 2 times I did it allowed the $1 promo, but the most recent time it made me pay for a month. Total was ~$165 for 3yrs of Ultimate(this was in late November 2021).

They also do deals on GP Ultimate physical cards during the holidays. Usually something like 3-month cards for $20-25. That will be my strategy for the future when the conversion deal is likely gone. $80-100/yr is still a good deal for GP Ultimate.

reinking

Gold Member
It has to expire first. The next game pass sub will probably be the $15 instead of $1.

What I did. I purchased 3 years of Gold @ $50 after my game pass sub had expired. I loaded those three codes for xbox live gold which gave me three years. I then converted it to game pass by paying the one month $14.99 game pass sub.

I know there are some people that use foreign markets to get better deals on the Gold subs but I have never done it that way. I hope you can take advantage of it because it is a good deal as long as the "loophole" remains open.

As for the Fable series. I loved the first but find the others hard to get into. Probably more of a me thing than the series. I might give it a go again at my next gaming lul.

Cocksman

Thanks for the input everyone.. is there a rest mode for this thing? I can only find a turn console off option.

Buy 3 years worth of Gold cards, start new account, DO NOT accept the extra month for subscribing and when you have 36 months of Gold choose the option for upgrading to Ultimate for $1.

To clarify. I did the gold trick first time around (24-36 months ago). And just last month it expired. I stocked up on 36 months of more gold and then converted it again so I'm good until Jan 2025.

So it does work multiple times. You just need to make sure your ultimate expires.

Also this was on a very old XBL account. I think I first made it back on halo 2.

Last edited:
To clarify. I did the gold trick first time around (24-36 months ago). And just last month it expired. I stocked up on 36 months of more gold and then converted it again so I'm good until Jan 2025.

So it does work multiple times. You just need to make sure your ultimate expires.

Also this was on a very old XBL account. I think I first made it back on halo 2.
Why does anyone pay retail for ultimate?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Does it matter if I buy 12 month gold and up ultimate or 36 months? I mean, is it a one time thing?

If not then why not just do what you can afford.

Does it work with game pass ultimate?

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Try em out! With game pass there's no reason not to try them. I just checked and they all play on the cloud too so you literally don't have to wait to give them a shot.

BeardGawd

Banned

Thanks !
Fable 2 is still excellent. A buddy of mine just played it and is now a big fan.

Fable 3 I would pass on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
jack-baker-punch.png

Many users have already posted the 3 year method, but just to reiterate one more time lol.

1. Get 3 years of the cheapest Xbox Live Gold you can find. (ideally in 3 - 12 month codes). If you are savvy with VPN usage, you can save some more money here too, otherwise New Egg routinely has discounts on 12 month Gold codes.

2. Redeem the codes here: https://redeem.microsoft.com/

NOTE: During the redemption process, you may get asked if you want to enable recurring payment and get 1 more bonus month.

SELECT NO. The reason for this is that 36 month is the max Gold to GPU you can do, and accepting a bonus month will screw this up.

3. Convert it to Game Pass Ultimate here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade

-

You now have 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate, which gives you:

- Game Pass for console.
- Game Pass for PC
- EA Play for both
- Live Gold for Online playing
- Games w/ Gold free games each month

And remember .... enjoy !

Last edited:

elliot5

Many users have already posted the 3 year method, but just to reiterate one more time lol.

1. Get 3 years of the cheapest Xbox Live Gold you can find. (ideally in 3 - 12 month codes). If you are savvy with VPN usage, you can save some more money here too, otherwise New Egg routinely has discounts on 12 month Gold codes.

2. Redeem the codes here: https://redeem.microsoft.com/

NOTE: During the redemption process, you may get asked if you want to enable recurring payment and get 1 more bonus month.

SELECT NO. The reason for this is that 36 month is the max Gold to GPU you can do, and accepting a bonus month will screw this up.

3. Convert it to Game Pass Ultimate here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade

-

You now have 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate, which gives you:

- Game Pass for console.
- Game Pass for PC
- EA Play for both
- Live Gold for Online playing
- Games w/ Gold free games each month

And remember .... enjoy !
and XCloud access everywhere and other perks like Hulu trials and shit

Dr Bass

Hmmm worked on mine and I've had XBL since OG Xbox. Also had Game Pass in the past. Just not GPU. So maybe it's just if you've had GPU in the past you can't do it.

elliot5

Hmmm worked on mine and I've had XBL since OG Xbox. Also had Game Pass in the past. Just not GPU. So maybe it's just if you've had GPU in the past you can't do it.
you can do it if you had GPU in the past, you just don't get the $1 offer you pay the full $15. It still converts 1:1 as long as you don't have an ACTIVE GPU subscription

Dr Bass

you can do it if you had GPU in the past, you just don't get the $1 offer you pay the full $15. It still converts 1:1 as long as you don't have an ACTIVE GPU subscription
Got it. Still a crazy deal if you can do it. That loophole will HAVE to be closed eventually I imagine.

Top Bottom