• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new to Xbox and Gamepass

Cocksman

jack-baker-punch.png

Many users have already posted the 3 year method, but just to reiterate one more time lol.

1. Get 3 years of the cheapest Xbox Live Gold you can find. (ideally in 3 - 12 month codes). If you are savvy with VPN usage, you can save some more money here too, otherwise New Egg routinely has discounts on 12 month Gold codes.

2. Redeem the codes here: https://redeem.microsoft.com/

NOTE: During the redemption process, you may get asked if you want to enable recurring payment and get 1 more bonus month.

SELECT NO. The reason for this is that 36 month is the max Gold to GPU you can do, and accepting a bonus month will screw this up.

3. Convert it to Game Pass Ultimate here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade

-

You now have 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate, which gives you:

- Game Pass for console.
- Game Pass for PC
- EA Play for both
- Live Gold for Online playing
- Games w/ Gold free games each month

And remember .... enjoy !

This is the best breakdown in the thread. Thank you! and just to be clear , I have 3 months free of Gamepass Ultimate already. Can I redeem that before I try all this stuff or will that screw everything up?

DaGwaphics

Congrats, GamePass is the greatest thing to happen to gaming in 20 years, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Welcome to the club.

We'll let you get comfortable before we talk about the shrine building.

@ Cocksman Cocksman If you are going to redeem three one year cards, you need to do that first. You can probably use the trial to trigger the conversion to GPU (not 100% sure on that though), might be safer to just pay the $1.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Does it matter if I buy 12 month gold and up ultimate or 36 months? I mean, is it a one time thing?

If not then why not just do what you can afford.

Does it work with game pass ultimate?
Yes, you can buy a 12-month Gold card and then convert it with either the $1 promo or the cost of a month of GP Ultimate. A $50 Gold card + $1 GP Ultimate = 13 months of GP Ultimate for $51. If you've done the conversion before, it would be $65.

The reason people do the 3yrs is to lock-in the deal for as long as possible and because it reduces the cost by eliminating 2 of the conversion payments. I've been doing it since 2018, and I'm now good through late 2024. I think they'll eventually get the price to $20/month for 1 month(it's $14.99 right now).
---
On a side note, I don't think most people know about, let alone take advantage of the conversion deal. They just go to the store and buy a card and give it to a kid, or put their billing info in once, and then forget about the details and just leaving it recurring for years. "It has to do with little Billy's Xbox, and he'll annoy us to death if he can't play his games", mommy and daddy say to each other.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is the best breakdown in the thread. Thank you! and just to be clear , I have 3 months free of Gamepass Ultimate already. Can I redeem that before I try all this stuff or will that screw everything up?

If you redeem your 3 months GPU, you will need to wait till those 3 months expire before you can do the gold-to-GPU conversion for the full tenure, as 36 months is the max you can have a gold to GPU conversion at a time.

Also, you will only be able to do the conversion for $1 the first time, any time after that, you will have to pay 1 months GPU price instead of $1 (so you'll pay $15 instead of $1 for the same conversion).

I will recommend instead that you do the 3 years GPU first, and then 3 months later redeem your 3 month card to top off your 3 years again.

Hopefully the above made sense. I tried to articulate it as best as I can lol.

bender

What time is it?
MS Rewards are the shit. I barely even try and I'm sitting on like 240k points, getting about 10k per month.

35K is three months of GPU. I do everything so I probably spend a bit more time than the 5 minutes a day but I got 23K last month and tomorrow I'll crack 10K for this month. I'm assuming it would be somewhat easy to get the ~12K needed per month for GPU though.

Last edited:

Antwix

35K is three months of GPU. I do everything so I probably spend a bit more time than the 5 minutes a day but I got 23K last month and tomorrow I'll crack 10K for this month. I'm assuming it would be somewhat easy to get the ~12K needed per month for GPU though.
Yeah I often get more since I do usually try for those ~2000+ point rewards they usually do monthly on the console app. My gamepass expired a few months ago and I'm just going thru some backlog stuff before I renew. I actually haven't ever redeemed GPU thru rewards before. I typically just redeem xbox gift cards here and there. When I am ready to renew, I think I'm going to redeem 12x XBL Gold 3 month (for a 3 year total), then get a 1 month GPU do to the conversion.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yeah I often get more since I do usually try for those ~2000+ point rewards they usually do monthly on the console app. My gamepass expired a few months ago and I'm just going thru some backlog stuff before I renew. I actually haven't ever redeemed GPU thru rewards before. I typically just redeem xbox gift cards here and there. When I am ready to renew, I think I'm going to redeem 12x XBL Gold 3 month (for a 3 year total), then get a 1 month GPU do to the conversion.

That's a good idea. I did the conversion trick like 2.5 years ago and have only been seriously paying attention to Microsoft Rewards for the last 23 weeks. I've extended my GPU by six months and am sitting on another 37k points.

Top Bottom