• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brass Knucks AKA "Knuckle Dusters" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieo

I'm just curious....

What are the origins of Brass Knuckles? Do they really work? Do they still make them? Are they illegal to carry around? The first time I ever saw them were in that movie 3O'Clock High where the bully intended to use them on the nerd but the nerd's sister managed to slip them to him and he beat the bully. Could something like that really happen, like could a nerd beat up, let's say, Jet Li, if he can managed to get a good punch in using the Brass Knucks? Did you ever get hit with Brass Knucks? If so, what type of damage did it do?

Vieo

2D6+2 Crushing Damage. Fortunately I had a Ring of Protection +3, which bumped my AC up to 15 (I have 14 Dex), causing him to miss.

Thanks a lot. Pepsi all over the keyboard!

If you hit a guy with brass knuckles he is down for the count no matter the size. YOu hit him in the head he could die or become a vegetable.

Vieo

Ok, while I'm on the subject of mysterious weapons, I might as well ask this one as it's been burning a hole in my mind for years...

DO BOOMERANGS REALLY WORK?

Vlad

Vieo said:
Ok, while I'm on the subject of mysterious weapons, I might as well ask this one as it's been burning a hole in my mind for years...

Well, if you mean as weapons, I couldn't say for sure either way. However, as far as coming back to you goes, then yes, they can work if thrown correctly. I've never tried throwing the crescent shaped ones, but I've seen people on TV use them and have them come back (I think there was a challenge on the last season of The Amazing Race which involved tossing boomerangs). I did, however, have a Nerf boomerang when I was a kid. It was a three pronged thing, so it didn't look like your typical boomerang, but with a little practice, you could get it so it would come back to you when thrown (more like it would just fly in a big circle).

DaveH

Vieo said:
I'm just curious....

What are the origins of Brass Knuckles? Do they really work? Do they still make them? Are they illegal to carry around? The first time I ever saw them were in that movie 3O'Clock High where the bully intended to use them on the nerd but the nerd's sister managed to slip them to him and he beat the bully. Could something like that really happen, like could a nerd beat up, let's say, Jet Li, if he can managed to get a good punch in using the Brass Knucks? Did you ever get hit with Brass Knucks? If so, what type of damage did it do?

1. Dunno the origins.
2. Yes... sorta.
3. Yes they still make them. There are plenty of Made in China/Pakistan "novelty paperweights" floating around flea markets and novelty web venders (the type that sell cheap swords, throwing stars, airguns, handcuffs, and tasers). There are also web venders that will make you a custom pair out of just about any hard material.
4. 9 times out of 10 they're not legal to carry around even in a self-defense situation.
5. Yes it could happen, not very likely to though. They're not magical.
6. My old RA/roommate was a bouncer hit by brass knuckles, the first punch hit him in the chest and left a bruise but he said he didn't really feel it. The second punch glanced off one side of his forehead and left a mushy gash (like the skin was pushed out of place versus cut). In the same punch, the attacker broke three of his fingers because the fistload slipped from his plam on impact (he was using one of those cheapie "paperweight" deals... the rings were too big for his fingers and the load too big for his palm, the poor support caused a lot of destruction to his own hand). My roomie wasn't unconscious even after the second hit and whaled on the guy a little bit after.

There some info here:
http://www.donrearic.com/brassknuckles.html

But if you ask me, brass knuckles, unless custom fit, is a lot of wishful fantasy. If you don't punch hard and with correct form to begin with, your benefit from wearing knuckles is going to be marginal to deterimental (the legal and safety ramifications). That said, I've got a paperweight on my desk right now....

Jim Bowie

I have a pair of knucklers myself. I bought them for ten dollars at the China Bazaar. I've hit my friend in the face with it before, but not very hard- left a good sized welt right on his cheek. The trick to using the knuckles is to connect to a bone ASAP, or else you'll end up breaking your hand. A better approach with similar effects is a roll of quarters. While it doesn't look as badass, it still packs a punch without so much risk of breaking your fingers.

Neo_ZX

How about one of those things rappers wear? The big plate of gold across your 4 fingers. that looks like it'd be good reinforcement against breaking your fingers. Anyone ever been hit by any bling?

Vieo said:

Oh yeah they work, you just don't want to be a dumb ass with them. I used to own a boomerang when I was younger and, when I threw it it did the turn around and such, but see I hadn't learnt how to properly catch the extremely fast moving boomerang. Long story short, I was running away from my boomerang ... followed by hitting the deck.

GDGF

Soothsayer
DJ Demon J said:
2D6+2 Crushing Damage. Fortunately I had a Ring of Protection +3, which bumped my AC up to 15 (I have 14 Dex), causing him to miss.

That's the funniest shit I've ever seen you write, DJ ;)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jim Bowie said:
A better approach with similar effects is a roll of quarters. While it doesn't look as badass, it still packs a punch without so much risk of breaking your fingers.
IAWTP.

impirius

Jim Bowie said:
A better approach with similar effects is a roll of quarters. While it doesn't look as badass, it still packs a punch without so much risk of breaking your fingers.
They work especially well if you're fighting Eric Bischoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom