• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British Muslim woman detained after flight for suspicious behavior (she read a book).

Status
Not open for further replies.
GG flight attendant.

Full story here.

Faizah Shaheen was returning to England from her Turkish honeymoon last week when airport security pulled her out of the line of people waiting to get their passport checked at Doncaster Sheffield Airport in South Yorkshire.

For 15 minutes they questioned the British psychotherapist, who is employed by Britain’s National Health Service, using their powers under the country’s 2000 Terrorism Act, the Guardian reported Thursday. The officers said a Thomson Airways attendant on a previous flight had reported her for “suspicious behavior.”

Her crime? Reading a book about Syria.

“I asked what was going on and they said I had been reported due to a book I was reading and was to be questioned under the Terrorism Act,” Shaheen told the Independent.

She told the paper that she felt targeted for being Muslim.

Shaheen works with teens with mental illness. Part of her job, she said, is to prevent the teens from becoming radicalized.

“I said that to the police,” she said. “I’m actually part of trying to fight radicalization and breaking the stereotypes.”

The book, “Syria Speaks: Art and Culture from the Frontline,” is a collection of work from more than 50 Syrian artists and writers “who are challenging the culture of violence in Syria.”

Thomson Airways told the Independent that it recognizes that “in this instance Ms. Shaheen may have felt that overcaution had been exercised. However, like all airlines, our crew are trained to report and concerns they may have as a precaution.”

Shaheen intends to make a formal complaint against the airline as well as the law enforcement officers who detained her and reduced her to tears, according to the Independent.

“I was completely innocent. I was made to feel like a culprit,” Shaheen said.

Unfortunately, I can only see this problem getting worse and worse. Racial profiling is just not on.

As a Muslim who has just came back from a 1 week holiday from Turkey, I understand the heightened security because you have to be better safe than sorry, however, these types of stories just go way too far. I can only imagine if it was a non-muslim reading a book, it raises the question, would they too have been reported for suspicious behavior? I think not.

As someone that gets pulled aside for "random" searches all the time, yeah, they do a good job of making you feel like you did something wrong. They're trained to do that, they want you to crack.

It's fucking shitty and stressful as hell. I have to carry Tylenol PM with me for flights because I'm usually a nervous mess by the time I board the plane.

Wasnt there a math professor who solved some math problems and then people accused him of planning an act of terrorism?

I think it was an economics professor, but yes, yes there was. The person sitting next to him on the plane was convinced he was planning a terrorist attack, based on some equations.

Kieli

I think it was an economics professor, but yes, yes there was. The person sitting next to him on the plane was convinced he was planning a terrorist attack, based on some equations.

Given the state of American high school education, I'm sure even introductory calculus looks like an attack on American freedom.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Because terrorists are going to plan attacks in full view of you on a plane. What an idiot that person is.

Izuna

Banned
syria-speaks-cover-saqi.jpg

How ironic that racism pops up when she's trying to fight against it.

Shaheen works with teens with mental illness. Part of her job, she said, is to prevent the teens from becoming radicalized.

“I said that to the police,” she said. “I’m actually part of trying to fight radicalization and breaking the stereotypes.”​

sirap

People have no idea how hard it is for a muslim to fly on airplanes. You don't even have to fit the stereotypical image to get harassed. Dark skin + a bin/binti in your name + hijab = bad times.

This french comic called "Muslim Show" nailed it.

12308179_920019818074903_7947339652865881762_o.jpg

The terrorist at the left side is shouting : "Infidel !" and the policeman at the right is shouting "Terrorist !"

I'm guessing racists will take opportunities to troll brown skinned peopled with the system

"oh I was scared he was doing something foreign"

and be free of any repercussions whilst the person would have their day ruined at minimum. Reminds me of this case:

http://boingboing.net/2015/11/21/southwest-airlines-surrenders.html

Southwest Airlines ground crew where alerted that there were two people speaking Arabic in the boarding area, the airline's employees opted to harass a Palestinian-American pizza-parlor owner and his friend who were returning to Philadelphia from Chicago.

The gate agent refused to let the men board.

Maher Khalil -- who owns Philadelphia's Pizza Point -- called 911 and reported that he had been racially profiled by the airline. Airport security and police were summoned and questioned the men, and then the men were allowed to board.

While the men boarded, passengers on the flight demanded to know what was in the small white pastry box that Khalil was carrying, shouting at him to open it.

Trump for president "It never hurts to be sure."

/s

Nevasleep

Turkey is the main route for people going to Syria though, correct?
Also it was for 15mins at UK passport control, not seeing an issue tbh.

Turkey is the main route for people going to Syria though, correct?
Also it was for 15mins at UK passport control, not seeing an issue tbh.

She got reported for "suspicious" behaviour which was reading a book like any other normal person. Do you not see the crux of the problem, or did you miss that part out?

Are we sure it's because she's a Muslim and not because she's a woman?

Ask yourself if a non-muslim white woman would have been reported for suspicious behaviour for reading a book. Considering the context and circumstances in our current climate regarding these things, I'd most definitely say because she's Muslim.

Condom

Why don't people just talk to each other. We muslims aren't lizard people, just ask us what's up if you're scared or whatever.

kmax

Meanwhile, reading the comments:
philipsmeeton
2:01 PM GMT+0200
Every muslim has to be seen to be a potential terrorist because all of the terrorists are muslims

Sometimes I wonder how far stupidity reaches, and what I've come to realise is that there truly isn't a limit.

Derwind

Because terrorists are going to plan attacks in full view of you on a plane. What an idiot that person is.

Those clever bastards, just hiding in plain sight. They could be anywhere, or anyone, or (gasp)... anything.. Oh my lordy!!!

Why don't people just talk to each other. We muslims aren't lizard people, just ask us what's up if you're scared or whatever.
I don't think easily triggered people want to talk to us. Their nature is to silently judge us and report it like the cowards they are.

If there was justice, the person who reported her should be charged.

benjipwns

Banned

I don't think easily triggered people want to talk to us. Their nature is to silently judge us and report it like the cowards they are.

If there was justice, the person who reported her should be charged.
*reports suspicious internet usage by Muslims*

Muslim couple kicked off Delta flight for ‘sweating’

mrsandmrsali.jpg

They said they were singled out because flight crew had noticed them "sweating" and saying the word "Allah", which they denied.

Faisal Ali and Nazia Ali were waiting for about 45 minutes on a Delta Air Lines flight in Paris to fly back to Cincinnati, Ohio when a Delta employee asked the couple to exit the aircraft as he needed to ask them questions.

"We asked if we should get our stuff and he said, 'Yes, take all of your stuff as you won't be on that flight'," Ms Ali told The Independent. "That was really alarming."

After interrogating them about their stay in Paris - the couple had been enjoying a brief holiday in the capital city for their 10th wedding anniversary - the officer said he had no problem with them and there was nothing else he could ask the couple.

The Delta employee then explained that the pilot had decided to ask them to leave as one of the crew members had felt “uncomfortable” in their presence, as the crew member had reportedly seen Mr Ali hide his phone as they walked by, and that Mr Ali had been sweating and saying “Allah”.

Mr Ali said he had been texting his mother to let her know they had safely boarded the plane as she would be picking them up from Cincinnati airport.

"I wanted to get on that plane so badly. I didn't care about my privacy, I just wanted the captain to see my phone so he could see we were just texting our parents," she said.

Her husband added he might have been sweating due to poor air circulation on the plane as it had been on the tarmac for about 45 minutes.

"We just went straight to the terminal and they booked us on the next flight home, so they know we didn't do anything and we know that we didn't do anything," said Ms Ali.

The couple, who have three young children under the age of five, were booked into a hotel by the airline overnight.

"I told my four year old that you'll see me tomorrow, in another nine hours," she said. "But that didn't happen."

The children were being looked after by the couple's parents.

Regginator

Meanwhile, reading the comments:

Sometimes I wonder how far stupidity reaches, and what I've come to realise is that there truly isn't a limit.

And (nearly?) all terrorists are male, so that means all men should be subject to interrogation, amirite?

If you don't have anything to hide, why are you sweating?

Have to wonder if I would have been stopped had I been... well, brown/muslim looking when I was last in paris a month or two back, was late for the Eurostar and had to jog/run > a mile to the station because I couldn't get the RER to accept my card and had no idea what the terminal was saying and couldn't see a staffed ticket booth in the summer heat with luggage, and therefore sweaty as heck by the time I got there. Hmm.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Pfft.

Flight attendants have to worry about the safety of thousands of people every day. It only took a couple of bad apples to spoil the fun. So this is how it is, brownies. You want to fly? Take of your headwrap, shave your rip van winkle beard, put away your math homework, and stop talking that Allah language.

I'd say put away your iphone, but iphones are awesome. Just have a flight attendant check it to make sure there is no jihad app on it.

2MF

First it was people getting questioned because they were writing maths, now it's books. What's next, person deemed suspicious because they knew 1+1 = 3 instead of 4?

Idiocracy is starting to look more like reality every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom