• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend 2: Director Tim Schafer Comments on Possibility of Sequel

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking with The Gamer, Schafer, who is the co-founder and head of Double Fine, was asked about whether or not Brutal Legend 2 is a game that the company might now look to make after finishing Psychonauts 2. While Schafer didn't shoot down this idea, he said it would absolutely be a difficult project to create for a handful of reasons. "That's a tricky one. I feel some emotional barriers towards that because I really like the multiplayer aspect and people were so crabby about the RTS elements," Schafer said of the idea. "I'm like wow, which game do we make? Do we make the game that I want to make or do we make the one the fans are asking for? It's tricky to solve that problem."

Even though he didn't shoot down the idea of a Brutal Legend sequel, it sounds as though Schafer might have his heart set on working on something different for the studio's next venture. Still, even if that does prove to be what happens, it won't ever prevent him from evangelizing about Brutal Legend. "My goal is to just play Brutal Legend every Rocktober 13th until the world learns how great the game is," Schafer said of a tradition that Double Fine has to celebrate the title's anniversary each year.

Papacheeks

Banned
This would be fucking awesome!!, DO IT TIM!!!

I know im never going to get a pick of destiny sequel so for me Brutal legend is the next best thing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Tim Schaeffer doing more than one sequel will prove to me we all live in the matrix and we're programmed to suffer. That guy, and that team should focus on new game ideas non stop.

Javthusiast

Banned
Jack Black Leg GIF

CitizenZ

Banned
Tim Schaffer is a legend but the RTS aspect of BL is by far the worst part. But, as it is with any artist or politician they never see or admit to any of their faults.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Tim Schaffer is a legend but the RTS aspect of BL is by far the worst part. But, as it is with any artist or politician they never see or admit to any of their faults.
I had a blast with the RTS parts in the day. I love a part 2 with fleshed out RTS parts. The first was a classic Phil give them the money to expand to 2 teams please.

TLZ

Banned
Oh yes!!

I'm not a metal fan but this game was so good. I'd love to see a new one with current gen visuals!

jaysius

Banned
The game was great until you had to play that fucked up dog’s breakfast shit show rts part. Fuck the controls and how the camera was handled in those parts was handled.

Hugare

I love you, Tim

But making a Metal game with Jack Black, Ozzy, amazing world and soundtrack only to put freaking RTS gameplay on it is just ... I cant even ...

I enjoyed the game for what it was. But fuck me, what a wasted oportunity to make something great.

And still doubling down on it even now, years later ... Yeah, please dont make a sequel if its going to end up a RTS game again

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if the game just flat out said it was a semi RTS game it would have changed the perspective of the game today.

Most of the time I think they should have known better and scrapped that gameplay loop altogether instead of marketing the game in a different light to secure sales.

Amiga

wish for something that's combination of Brutal Legend and Full Throttle.

guy can build an interesting fun world. Grim Fandango's world is still one of the best world in gaming yet. just needs to team up with experts in game design and programing. MS have Rare. they should put these teams together.

Shut0wen

Speaking with The Gamer, Schafer, who is the co-founder and head of Double Fine, was asked about whether or not Brutal Legend 2 is a game that the company might now look to make after finishing Psychonauts 2. While Schafer didn't shoot down this idea, he said it would absolutely be a difficult project to create for a handful of reasons. "That's a tricky one. I feel some emotional barriers towards that because I really like the multiplayer aspect and people were so crabby about the RTS elements," Schafer said of the idea. "I'm like wow, which game do we make? Do we make the game that I want to make or do we make the one the fans are asking for? It's tricky to solve that problem."

Even though he didn't shoot down the idea of a Brutal Legend sequel, it sounds as though Schafer might have his heart set on working on something different for the studio's next venture. Still, even if that does prove to be what happens, it won't ever prevent him from evangelizing about Brutal Legend. "My goal is to just play Brutal Legend every Rocktober 13th until the world learns how great the game is," Schafer said of a tradition that Double Fine has to celebrate the title's anniversary each year.
Stick to the new banjo game tim

Top Bottom