• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryce Dallas Howard Was Pressured To Lose Weight For "Jurassic World: Dominion

Hugare

Yup. Also Im sure he isn't as fit all the time, specially if he doesn't have to do a shirtless scenes.

But he clearly maintains a level of fitness to keep the action roles coming his way.

She is a millionaire (with a famous daddy too), in a role in a shitty blockbuster action movie where half her job is looking good (just like, gasp!, her male costar).

She's not a cashier in a supermarket worrying she won't be able to afford rent if she doesn't loose weight because of a whim from her boss.

There are jobs where there's certain expectations regarding your physical appearance and/or fitness. If you don't like the pressure of staying fit then don't work in the field.

This video shows how hard it was for him to change habbits and to mantain the new habbits so he can keep his shape for his new roles

Now, this is BDH in Jurassic World

DaGczkA.png

And this is BDH last year

8zWIP9V.png

Imagine Christian Bale going from ripped in Batman Begins to fat in Dark Knight

Or even Chris Pratt going from ripped in GOTG 1 to chubby in 2

You have to mantain weight or loose weight for a job if your character demands it.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

This video shows how hard it was for him to change habbits and to mantain the new habbits so he can keep his shape for his new roles

DaGczkA.png

8zWIP9V.png

You have to mantain weight or loose weight for a job if your character demands it.

I don’t think the character demands it though. She’s not supposed to be some action star in this. Batman example isn’t the same. I could even argue that nobody would give a shit if star lord was a little chubby in part 2. They even made a joke about him being a little chubby in that movie too lol. He wasn’t as cut as he was in part 1 though. I don’t think the character demands it there. Thor, Cap, black panther, etc obviously do though. Would actually be better if not every damn character in the MCU was steroid shredded. Would actually amplify Thor and caps look as well.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
*laughs in Christian Bale / Renee Zellweger*

When I saw BDH some time after Jurassic World I did a double take. The weight gain was painfully obvious. The Jurassic series is still kind of action-y and dinos always get the fat guy (hello Nedry), so while she don't need to look like Lara Croft, the character requires some fitness.

She probably also had to be close to match her stunt double, which again isn't a size 6 or below
d985fe00b4f7676e82cfa2e5cf08722b.jpg
... how about giving the part to her stunt double instead?

sounds she's trying to make this out of nothing

she got chubbier compared to how she looked in jurassic world. She's one of the leads in a multi film franchise. There are expectations of her to maintain her physical appearance.

either way, would still bang

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

DaGczkA.png

8zWIP9V.png

And this the problem, she's tried to make out she was like she is in Jurassic World and they told her to lose weight.
Which I agree would be stupid and wrong
But in reality she was like second picture so they asked her to lose enough weight so she's is close to her appearance in the first & second film.
They probably said to her
"look we don't expect you to look like a super hero or a model.
But we do expect you to look like you might barely be able to run away from Velociraptor, and currently that's a hard sell"

Fbh

That piece of shit movie had much bigger problems than slightly chubby Ron Howardsdaughter.

Which is exactly why people go watch this stuff for good looking actors and CG spectacle.

No one is like "hmm I really want to go see this new Jurassic World movie to check out the award winning writing and performances"

If you work in these dumb blockbuster movies there's going to be certain expectations regarding your looks. Doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
There is no such thing as a natural body. You eat more, you gain weight. You eat less, you lose weight. You keep your weight stable if you bring in the exact number of calories you spend in a day. It’s not rocket science.
I also do not understand why she seems this is an outlandish claim, can Chris Pratt also play while having a beer belly?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol so ridiculous. Her costar was a literal nobody when he was a fat slob. He loses some fat, gets a six pack to play a marine, and boom offers for lead roles in Marvel movies, big scifi space operas and fucking Jurrassic Park come through. Not to mention, he dumps his 6 of a wife and marries a fucking Kennedy 15 years younger. Everything just falls into place when you're fit and hot in hollywood. It's not rocket science.

I also like how Colin straight up told her that she needs to lose weight or they wont be able to hire a body double that fat. You know because women that fat cant do stunts. So she basically had to do it for screen time.

Which is exactly why people go watch this stuff for good looking actors and CG spectacle.

No one is like "hmm I really want to go see these new Jurassic World movie to check out the award winning writing and performances"

If you work in these dumb blockbuster movies there's going to be certain expectations regarding your looks. Doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman.
Exactly. I said this in another thread recently or maybe in a discord chat, but summer action blockbuster movies are escapism. We dont want to see ourselves up on the screen. we want to see fit over the top and larger than life characters do things we cant do. If I wanted to see a size 12 i'd go to my local walmart. I really dont care for this new trend of uglying up leads in movies and especially in games. I have never minded female leads, but ugly female leads? they completely take me out of the game. As wrong as it sounds, if I cant see myself in a woman, I want to be able to see myself having sex with her. lol

Whats weird is that my wife straight up refuses to watch tv shows if she doesnt find even the female leads attractive, let alone male leads. So it's not just misogynist men. There is a reason why no one watches Oscar nominated indie movies featuring 'realistic' looking characters.

DaGczkA.png

8zWIP9V.png

Those pictures are likely to not be an accurate representation of her weight in the movies, as press for a movie is generally done a fair amount of time after filming has stopped.

I don’t think the character demands it though. She’s not supposed to be some action star in this. Batman example isn’t the same. I could even argue that nobody would give a shit if star lord was a little chubby in part 2. They even made a joke about him being a little chubby in that movie too lol. He wasn’t as cut as he was in part 1 though. I don’t think the character demands it there. Thor, Cap, black panther, etc obviously do though. Would actually be better if not every damn character in the MCU was steroid shredded. Would actually amplify Thor and caps look as well.
Speaking as someone who has seen the movie (I don't recommend it), this isn't true. She's literally running into and away from danger, depending on the situation, for most of the movie. As far as the script goes, she's absolutely an action star in this.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think in this situation when there is a returning character they are probably require to look like they did previously.
If that's a man or woman it doesn't matter.
The last thing you want in the headlines for your latest film isn't the actors weight lost or gain.

Rey looked like she ate Han Solo between the TFA and TLJ, so I mean, it's not a REQUIREMENT.

Batiman

Banned
Those pictures are likely to not be an accurate representation of her weight in the movies, as press for a movie is generally done a fair amount of time after filming has stopped.

Speaking as someone who has seen the movie (I don't recommend it), this isn't isn't true. She's literally running into and away from danger, depending on the situation, for most of the movie. As far as the script goes, she's absolutely an action star in this.
I’m pretty sure anyone can run from danger. Not anyone can fight crime and do acrobatics. Just because she’s in action scenes doesn’t mean her character is and action character. She was just a business woman in the last 2 movies. She didn’t have job that reflected someone that would have to be fit.

Last edited:
A millionaire whose job is to play a character - in this case - a character that runs away from dinosaurs and she’s complaining she felt pressured to lose weight? Cry me a fucking River. It’s part of the job. Actors do it all the time.

She was also complaining not too long ago about not getting paid as much as her co-star recently. From the same movie iirc. 🙄

She looks hot with or without the added weight anyway.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
charles oliveira was stripped of his ufc lightweight belt because he was 0.5 lb over the weight limit on weigh-in day. Fighters give up part of their purse or even later get cut for missing weight. Sylvester Stallone almost passed out during some scenes he shot for movies just so he can maintain his shreddedness and look sick on camera. Leading actors or actresses gotta make weight for certain scenes and when the shoots are over they can bulk up again and eat all they want. How long is a shoot 3 or 4 months ?? They can have a cheat day once a week like the rock does during shoots or just take like a week break from shooting every few weeks to relax on the diet and get some calories in.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

They had Carrie Fisher exercise and prove it before the new Star Wars. They had a trainer work her out and Hamil out for those movies. They included all this in the making of stuff because of how much it wasn’t a big deal in Hollywood for this to happen.

DanteFox

At the end of the day, movies are entertainment. A certain aspect of that means they portray our aspirations. This means they are not necessarily "realistic," but they depict a reality that we want to see. Nobody talks like the characters in a David Fincher movie, but we like it because it's snappy and witty. Nobody does the things super heroes do, but we wish we could. Very few people look like Brad Pitt or Margot Robbie, but they're pleasant to look like. When you combine it all together, you get good looking people delivering punchy lines in very cool scenarios. That's what's entertaining about movies.

I clocked her face rather than anything else, she looks ridiculous. 15 years ago she was stunning, now she looks like a robot.

daffyduck

I’m pretty sure anyone can run from danger. Not anyone can fight crime and do acrobatics. Just because she’s in action scenes doesn’t mean her character is and action character. She was just a business woman in the last 2 movies. She didn’t have job that reflected someone that would have to be fit.
In those two movies, her character was a business woman. In this movie, her character was about action right from the start.

Batiman

Banned
In those two movies, her character was a business woman. In this movie, her character was about action right from the start.
Eh not really. She was in action situations. That’s it. The first movie got so much crap from feminists because all she did was freak out and get saved by Chris Pratt lol. She’s doesn’t play some dino-fighting Lara Croft role. She’s like a PETA employee for dinos.

Nobody cared when Gal Gadot played wonder women looking like a tooth pick. Because she was thin and good looking. I remember some people here bashing Natalie Portman for getting too buff for a character that actually should be buff….

If the reason is that they wanted a fit looking women to look good on screen. That’s fine. But trying to say her role needed her to be thin is just bullshit. She ain’t Wonder Woman, Lara, Black Widow etc. She’s just a chick that runs from dinosaurs. Fat people can run from dinos.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Eh not really. She was in action situations. That’s it. The first movie got so much crap from feminists because all she did was freak out and get saved by Chris Pratt lol. She’s doesn’t play some dino-fighting Lara Croft role. She’s like a PETA employee for dinos.

Nobody cared when Gal Gadot played wonder women looking like a tooth pick. Because she was thin and good looking. I remember some people here bashing Natalie Portman for getting too buff for a character that actually should be buff….

If the reason is that they wanted a fit looking women to look good on screen. That’s fine. But trying to say her role needed her to be thin is just bullshit. She ain’t Wonder Woman, Lara, Black Widow etc. She’s just a chick that runs from dinosaurs. Fat people can run from dinos.

Agree with your post 99% BUT lots of folks complained about Diana being played by skinny Gal Gadot.

"Anyone can run from danger"

Some guy who trains dinosaurs for a living wouldn't have to be thin either, and he certainly wouldn't need washboard abs. No one cares when men are asked to get in shape for their roles, but we're expected to care when women are asked to do the same. I would argue that this is an example of benevolent sexism.

Though I will say, her weight in the finished film seemed fine for the role. The same would be true for Pratt, who probably gained a little himself.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Agree with your post 99% BUT lots of folks complained about Diana being played by skinny Gal Gadot.
Also Robert Pattinson got a lot of shit for refusing to workout for Batman. I’m not sure I fully agree with that, but I feel it worked out well by giving us a different take on the character. We had a fit Batman, a jacked up batfleck, etc. Rob’s sort of fit in with the emo look.

Batiman

Banned
"Anyone can run from danger"

Some guy who trains dinosaurs for a living wouldn't have to be thin either, and he certainly wouldn't need washboard abs. No one cares when men are asked to get in shape for their roles, but we're expected to care when women are asked to do the same. I would argue that this is an example of benevolent sexism.

I wouldn’t care if it was fat Pratt either though. Even though him being fit makes a little more sense. Still not necessary. It’s like those damn Teen vampire shows where everyone looks like a GQ model or they grabbed people straight out of a fashion show. People want to ask for realism and then complain when everyone’s not a model.

I’m the Rings of power thread you had gifs of Galadriel riding a horse and people making fun of her facial expressions. I mean she’s not no supermodel but she ain’t ugly.

In the House of Dragon you had a lot of people ripping the leads face saying she’s too ugly. Or they should of got someone better looking etc.

Same shit for Shang-Chi. China was losing their shit because they didn’t cast the best looking chines actor. Why do people give shit for every role and then cry for realism?

If the role calls for a beautiful fit women like Lara Croft, Daenerys, A princess etc. Then I agree. But people want every damn actor to be a model. Most of my favourite actors are ugly as hell.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t care if it was fat Pratt either though. Even though him being fit makes a little more sense. Still not necessary. It’s like those damn Teen vampire shows where everyone looks like a GQ model or they grabbed people straight out of a fashion show. People want to ask for realism and then complain when everyone’s not a model.

I’m the Rings of power thread you had gifs of Galadriel riding a horse and people making fun of her facial expressions. I mean she’s not no supermodel but she ain’t ugly.

In the House of Dragon you had a lot of people ripping the leads face saying she’s too ugly. Or they should of got someone better looking etc.

Same shit for Shang-Chi. China was losing their shit because they didn’t cast the best looking chines actor. Why do people give shit for every role and then cry for realism?

If the role calls for a beautiful fit women like Lara Croft, Daenerys, A princess etc. Then I agree. But people want every damn actor to be a model. Most of my favourite actors are ugly as hell.
A lot of that has more to do with looks rather than fitness, which wasn't what I was debating. Aside from that, I would say that both male and female actors probably get more unnecessarily fit than their roles require.

Batiman

Banned
A lot of that has more to do with looks rather than fitness, which wasn't what I was debating. Aside from that, I would say that both male and female actors probably get more unnecessarily fit than their roles require.
Makes me think of Troy (Brad Pitt) You’re telling me Achilles was the sexiest man in Greece and the greatest warrior? What a coincidence. Just looks too Hollywood.

p34313_p_v8_az.jpg

Where something like Galdiator or Braveheart comes off more realistic. Not that Russel Crow or Mel Gibson were ugly.

p24674_p_v8_ae.jpg

Makes me think of Troy (Brad Pitt) You’re telling me Achilles was the sexiest man in Greece and the greatest warrior? What a coincidence. Just looks too Hollywood.

p34313_p_v8_az.jpg

Where something like Galdiator or Braveheart comes off more realistic. Not that Russel Crow or Mel Gibson were ugly.

p24674_p_v8_ae.jpg
And that reminds me of the guy who created wonder woman. I watched a little documentary about the guy. He was married, but he brought another woman into his relationship with his wife's consent. He also was big into the women's movement, and became interested in bondage, which was the reason Wonder Women tied up men.

Anyhow, in the documentary he was a good looking guy, his wife was a bit plain, and the other woman was very pretty. In real life, none of these three people were even close to a Hollywood standard of beauty.

Last edited:

Madflavor

If someone offered me $1,000 to lose weight and act in a film, I'd tell them to fuck off. But if they offered me $1,000,000? Fuck yeah I'd get in whatever shape you want me to.

What's the problem here?

Top Bottom