• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryce Harper Get Hit in the Face by a 97MPH Fastball

ManaByte

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol just watched this. i was dying laughing at the other coach saying, "Leave our pitcher out of it Joe." like fuck, dude your pitcher literally started it!

nvm, that wasnt the breakdown video. here it is:

Last edited:

Soodanim

What punishment did that pitcher receive for those? The coach(?) being furious is completely understandable, you’re taking his players out of the game with those bullets. Perhaps if there was a stronger reaction he wouldn’t have needed to kick off.

Unless I’m missing something. Feel free to enlighten.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What punishment did that pitcher receive for those? The coach(?) being furious is completely understandable, you’re taking his players out of the game with those bullets. Perhaps if there was a stronger reaction he wouldn’t have needed to kick off.

Typically none.

Only time the pitcher gets booted or suspended is if the guy is beaning people over and over again stemming from the teams already pissed at each other. And the umpires know there's bad blood brewing.

If a pitcher nails someone every once in a while, there isn't grounds for punishment if nobody can figure out a cause or he meant it.

The pitchers beaning are rarely star players too. They are too good to hit people. And if a team really wants to purposely hit people, the coach will use a shitty pitcher to do it.

Having played baseball for years... my biggest irrational fear was getting hit in the face by a baseball. Not really irrational, but man, it SUCKS.

Our 2nd baseman got drilled with a line drive in grade school and it demolished his nose. Blood everywhere. Never forgot that one.

Typically none.

Only time the pitcher gets booted or suspended is if the guy is beaning people over and over again stemming from the teams already pissed at each other. And the umpires know there's bad blood brewing.

If a pitcher nails someone every once in a while, there isn't grounds for punishment if nobody can figure out a cause or he meant it.

The pitchers beaning are rarely star players too. They are too good to hit people. And if a team really wants to purposely hit people, the coach will use a shitty pitcher to do it.
Yeah it's usually a position player who is depth / a "goon"

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

You can't be that wild on your fastball. His next pitch after that should have been a curveball inside. Guaranteed to freeze the next batter expecting to get beaned.

Anyway, I hope Bryce is okay. I don't watch baseball anymore, but I played it in high school. Your worst fear is either a pitcher losing control high and inside, or a batter sending it right back to the pitcher on the mound. For those that don't know, getting hit by a baseball fucking hurts.

SlimySnake

Baseball doesnt like to penalize pitchers for hitting batters. It's considered part of the game. Everyone gets hit. You get a free base. You move on.

I do think that in today's game where averages are down to pathetic levels and every other pitcher is throwing a 100 mph, maybe hitting someone should get you thrown out. Hitting is already harder than its ever been with analytics ruining the game with four outfielders, infield shifts and exploiting player weakness better than ever before.

So if the pitcher has to be a bit careful and watch his velocity instead of throwing as hard as he can then good.

Ogbert

what in the British fuck does that mean
Was just me being a knob!

Cricket term. Basically a pull shot.

That looked really nasty. I play a lot of cricket, but you don’t really see speeds like that (with a few exceptions), as you’re not allowed to bend the arm.

I’d love to have a go at baseball.

RaptorGTA

This is why I quit playing Baseball. The number of times a pitch's throw went wild and hit someone....hell I was hit 2 times in a game. Wasn't intentional in most cases but it still hurt.

Was just me being a knob!

Cricket term. Basically a pull shot.

That looked really nasty. I play a lot of cricket, but you don’t really see speeds like that (with a few exceptions), as you’re not allowed to bend the arm.

I’d love to have a go at baseball.
i imagined this post being said by steve irwin while he is hiding in a bush

Dural

Baseball doesnt like to penalize pitchers for hitting batters. It's considered part of the game. Everyone gets hit. You get a free base. You move on.

I do think that in today's game where averages are down to pathetic levels and every other pitcher is throwing a 100 mph, maybe hitting someone should get you thrown out. Hitting is already harder than its ever been with analytics ruining the game with four outfielders, infield shifts and exploiting player weakness better than ever before.

So if the pitcher has to be a bit careful and watch his velocity instead of throwing as hard as he can then good.

Yeah, there's been talk about limiting the number of pitchers on a team and how many times you can change a pitcher to force teams to have their starters go longer. If they know they have to pitch for 7+ innings they're less likely to go all out throwing as hard as they can at the beginning, at least that's the theory. Carlos Rodon threw his fastest pitch in the 9th inning, 99mph, during his no hitter so it's not always the case that they will lose speed as the game goes on.

SlimySnake

Yeah, there's been talk about limiting the number of pitchers on a team and how many times you can change a pitcher to force teams to have their starters go longer. If they know they have to pitch for 7+ innings they're less likely to go all out throwing as hard as they can at the beginning, at least that's the theory. Carlos Rodon threw his fastest pitch in the 9th inning, 99mph, during his no hitter so it's not always the case that they will lose speed as the game goes on.
thats very interesting. I think part of the reason games are so long nowadays is because the starters dont give go 5 innings anymore. then like 5-7 other pitchers combine to finish the game. its ridiculous.

i was at Progressive Field last week to catch a Yankees game, and while it was great that it started at 6. it still didnt end until 9:45. Like wtf is the point of starting games earlier if they are still taking an extra hour to finish.

They are thinking of pushing back the mound to reduce strike outs and increase offense so clearly they think this is a problem that needs a radical solution. But i dont think its enough. They have to get rid of infield shifts, 4 outfielders, and the constant pitching changes. Have one guy pitch the whole inning. No more bailouts.

Amory

Warning both benches after that is so fucking stupid. Toss the pitcher who just drilled 2 guys or at least wait until the other team gets onto the field and actually see if they throw at someone.

Dural

thats very interesting. I think part of the reason games are so long nowadays is because the starters dont give go 5 innings anymore. then like 5-7 other pitchers combine to finish the game. its ridiculous.

i was at Progressive Field last week to catch a Yankees game, and while it was great that it started at 6. it still didnt end until 9:45. Like wtf is the point of starting games earlier if they are still taking an extra hour to finish.

They are thinking of pushing back the mound to reduce strike outs and increase offense so clearly they think this is a problem that needs a radical solution. But i dont think its enough. They have to get rid of infield shifts, 4 outfielders, and the constant pitching changes. Have one guy pitch the whole inning. No more bailouts.

I agree that the problem is the ridiculous amount of pitcher changes, you reduce that and you'll reduce the length of the game. I know they've experimented with a pitch clock in the minors as there are certain pitchers that take forever between pitches. I'm a White Sox fan and Mark Buehrle was one of the fastest pitchers in the league, he got the ball back from the catcher and was ready to throw immediately. His games always averaged as some of the shortest, usually under 3 hours. If they do lower the mound or move it back it will increase offense, but that also increases the length of the game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Ya, batting avgs are low. Never looked into why.

Is it because batters are gunning for HR/K mentality and pitchers now are gassing 100 mph heat?

Or is there more to it?

SlimySnake

I agree that the problem is the ridiculous amount of pitcher changes, you reduce that and you'll reduce the length of the game. I know they've experimented with a pitch clock in the minors as there are certain pitchers that take forever between pitches. I'm a White Sox fan and Mark Buehrle was one of the fastest pitchers in the league, he got the ball back from the catcher and was ready to throw immediately. His games always averaged as some of the shortest, usually under 3 hours. If they do lower the mound or move it back it will increase offense, but that also increases the length of the game.
I swear i saw a pitch clock at the the stadium last week. I dont think it made a difference tbh. It's mostly about the pitch changes like you said.

And yeah, increasing offense is a sure fire way to increase game time, and no one wants that. Michael kay has a great podcast and he was talking about how walks and strike outs are contributing to the longer game time. Players are far too selective, everyone is trying to hit homeruns instead of just putting the ball in play.

I say do something radical and make 4 out innings and 7 inning games lol. more outs means more offense, slightly longer innings, but fewer innings breaks.

P.S One thing that drove me nuts at the game was watching relief pitchers come in and spend the next five minutes getting warmed up. I am like your job is to get warmed up in the bullpen. We coddle pitchers way too much.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know how much time foul balls take up, but what about cap two-strike foul ball hits at a certain number. But then if it's another foul ball he's out.

I think a long time baseball has two strike foul balls as a third strike. Or maybe that was for the bunting rule only.

Dural

Is it because batters are gunning for HR/K mentality and pitchers now are gassing 100 mph heat?

Or is there more to it?

Pretty much, yes. This all comes down to the way they use statistics now in baseball. Launch angle and home runs are all that matter.

I swear i saw a pitch clock at the the stadium last week. I dont think it made a difference tbh. It's mostly about the pitch changes like you said.

And yeah, increasing offense is a sure fire way to increase game time, and no one wants that. Michael kay has a great podcast and he was talking about how walks and strike outs are contributing to the longer game time. Players are far too selective, everyone is trying to hit homeruns instead of just putting the ball in play.

I say do something radical and make 4 out innings and 7 inning games lol. more outs means more offense, slightly longer innings, but fewer innings breaks.

P.S One thing that drove me nuts at the game was watching relief pitchers come in and spend the next five minutes getting warmed up. I am like your job is to get warmed up in the bullpen. We coddle pitchers way too much.

Yep, I've always hated how long they give them. They were just warming up in the bullpen for god's sake, why do they need so much time on the mound? Give them a few pitches and they should be good to go.

MLB will likely never do anything too drastic, too many are beholden to it's history. I believe the Players Association also has to vote on any changes that are made, making it even more difficult to change anything.

SlimySnake

Or is there more to it?
Bit of both and then some. A couple of years ago, there was this big boom in Homeruns where everyone was shattering home run records. That was due to the analytics guys telling hitters about the launch angles. Telling hitters is to swing for the fences even on 0-2 counts. Told them to strike out right than put a weak grounder in play and hit into a double play. The Yankees GM got a lot of flack for losing over and over again in the playoffs, and then defending their approach because they had "data" that showed the Home runs wins you postseason games.

Well, it seems the pitching analytics guys caught up. They doubled down on the infield shifts, having 4 outfielders on top of the extra infielder they already had out there as part of the infield shift. they got their pitchers to throw harder and higher, and here we are. Pitchers are going out there to strike out hitters. And hitters are going out there swinging for the fences. It's a disaster and I really hope they change things. Yankees had six guys in the lineup hitting below 200 on April 22nd when I watched them play. Four of them had 1 RBI. 3 of them under 150. 20 games in. no one other than the part time catcher was hitting over 250. They havent been this bad since the early 1970s. And this is a $210 million team.

Here is a great interview with JD Martinez who is the only hitter who still has common sense left.

"A lot of people are very quick to blame launch angle, oh, the launch angle is ruining baseball, but I don't think that has anything to do with anything," he said. "I think media needs to dive in into how the league has changed. How pitchers have pitched differently in the last couple years."

Martinez lays the blame at the feet of technology, particularly the Trackman system in virtually every ballpark that uses Doppler radar to measure -- among other things -- location, spin rates, and horizontal and vertical break, giving teams a new trove of data with which to evaluate their hurlers, and in the process revolutionizing the game.

Martinez sees a problem in the type of huge arms now dotting every staff. They throw upper-90s fastballs atop the zone and some kind of breaking ball down, but they don't necessarily command with pinpoint precision.

"Everyone's based off Trackman," he said. "Everyone, literally, they look at their stuff and every team around the league goes, 'All right guys, who spins the ball the most and who throws the hardest?' And they have a little computer that tells them that, and they look at it and it shows them it and they go, 'OK, this guy has the best spin, and he has the most life, you throw the ball as hard as you can up here, and then throw a breaking ball down there.' And that's the whole league."

Martinez was just getting started.

"And you know everyone's so quick to blame the whole launch angle revolution," he said. "You want to say, 'Everyone's up there trying to swing for the fences and drive home runs and nobody's a hitter anymore and putting the ball in play.' But I think what people don't understand is, this is a stuff over command league nowadays. It's guys that throw 100 miles an hour, you see it every day, every team. I mean when I was coming up, there was one guy in the league that threw 100 and it was (Aroldis) Chapman. Now there's two guys on every team that throw 100.

Top Bottom