• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BS game companies/developers did to sell you something

Ezquimacore

Banned
Gaming companies are the best... And the worst.

1. Sony

Bioshock PSVita
Ken Levine said hell yeah I need that marketing check
bioshock-vita.jpg

2. Nintendo

Wii U tech demo.
Basically our fault, but can you blame us after seeing this beauty.
b9vkki.gif

3. Xbox

Project Milo.
Peter Molyneux developed an AI better than Skynet, for your Kinect. Smfh we were stupid.
project-natal-milo-21.jpg

Keep going...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my god. that's the first i've seen that zelda wii u tech demo in years. i remember watching it all the time waiting for that "game" to come out. the graphics at the time blew my mind. at first i was disappointed when i realised that wasn't what we were getting but i'm so happy with the art style/direction they took with BOTW.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this precise moment in the Slipspace Engine trailer for Halo Infinite...

having that Halo 3 sting and music there promised a lot, and in the end we got a disaster

"game engine demostration"

it was not representative of what the game would look like....just what the engine could do and not necessarily in real time. it could've taken hours to render that if the engine was being pushed to the max.

i enjoyed Halo Infinite 🤷‍♂️ i had hoped for some DLC/expansions but i'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Banned
"game engine demostration"

it was not representative of what the game would look like....just what the engine could do and not necessarily in real time. it could've taken hours to render that if the engine was being pushed to the max.

i enjoyed Halo Infinite 🤷‍♂️ i had hoped for some DLC/expansions but i'm not holding my breath.

it wasn't about graphics... it was about using Halo 3 as a way to promote Infinite when Infinite betrays everything Halo 3 stood for.

Jennings

EverQuest Next

Every single bit of footage from their initial reveal were just cherry-picked tech demos and hollow promises to get people to buy their $100 pre-orders for a game that they wanted players to build for them in an unoptimized mess of a toolset they sold called Landmark.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Cyberpunk 2077 whole marketing campaign

i'm glad i ignored most of it. i only saw the E3 trailer and the 48 min gameplay. the gameplay trailer looked good but it did have a "work in progress" mark on it so i expected things to change.

the game isn't great but i still quite enjoyed it. i'm definitely going back when they finish with DLC and expansion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont play UBI games very often, so it'd never scam me. But for all the BS MP game demos they do with amateur voice actors chatting while playing in demo like they are best buddies yapping every 5 seconds surely has conned some people into thinking MP gaming in The Division or whatever are the most social MP games ever.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
1280px-Amiga-CD32-wController-L.jpg

Not sure what they did to sell me on this, but it was just a worse 1200 but with a CD drive. One of my only gaming regrets.

Last edited:

Shifty

Oh, I don't know. Every single fucking thing after Horse Armor?

But if we're after more lighthearted fare:

EzbCji6UcAkiB-Q.jpg

Last edited:

Shifty

What was bad about that one? It eventually came out on modern consoles too. 🤷‍♂️
It's a bit less sprawling and interconnected than the classic REs it riffs on, and there's a mid-game cutaway to a different scenario that temporarily throws the spooky tone out of the window, but the parts that are good are very good imo.

Though the HD version loses something in translation. Didn't hit the same, maybe due to the updated controls.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's a bit less sprawling and interconnected than the classic REs it riffs on, and there's a mid-game cutaway to a different scenario that temporarily throws the spooky tone out of the window, but the parts that are good are very good imo.

Though the HD version loses something in translation. Didn't hit the same, maybe due to the updated controls.
I played revelations and i used to like it, but then later down the line i just got bored of it. it's a generic 3rd person shooter once you strip away the resident evil name and i was just not having fun

Doczu

I played revelations and i used to like it, but then later down the line i just got bored of it. it's a generic 3rd person shooter once you strip away the resident evil name and i was just not having fun
Depends on the platform you played it on. On the 3DS it was a banger with fantastic graphics, good multiplayer and a lot of collectibles.
But when it got ported to all the other consoles i just lost something unique. The graphics weren't as pretty and shiny anymore (all the corners they had to cut were quite apparent now).

When a topic like this pops up I can‘t help but to immediately think of the Brutal Legend demo. I felt betrayed.
How could i forget about that one. The demo got me so fucking pumped! And i was lucky to not pre-order the gale and waited for reviews and player comments.

Ulysses 31

Oh I know the game, I have over 500h in raid mode across multiple systems. :messenger_winking_tongue:

It seemed like Ezquimacore was hinting at a promise Capcom made with RE: Revelations they ended up not delivering.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Just about every PS3 E3 2005 trailer and promising it would way outclass the competition.

Also, locking a Smash Ultimate song behind a crappy melody game.

Fredrik

Killzone - CG trailer at PS3 launch that Jack Tretton said was gameplay in an interview (probably didn’t understand the question)

Motorstorm - CG trailer at the same show.

Halo Infinite - Slipspace Engine trailer at E3 2018

Uncharted 4 - CG beach scene.

No Man’s Sky - Launch trailer and over-promising interviews.
I love you now though Sean and Hello Games!! ❤️

Star Citizen - I’ve played it, some things are great, but I can NOT believe people spend so much money on it.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Gaming companies are the best... And the worst.

1. Sony

Bioshock PSVita
Ken Levine said hell yeah I need that marketing check
bioshock-vita.jpg

2. Nintendo

Wii U tech demo.
Basically our fault, but can you blame us after seeing this beauty.
b9vkki.gif

3. Xbox

Project Milo.
Peter Molyneux developed an AI better than Skynet, for your Kinect. Smfh we were stupid.
project-natal-milo-21.jpg

Keep going...
No offense op but how old were you when the zelda tech demo came out? I mean its a tech demo with very little going on, every tech demo looks nothing like the average game on consoles

Lunarorbit

Cyberpunk 2077 whole marketing campaign

Fuck CD projekt. This will always be a defining moment in gaming for me. Even had a cameo from alahan's chair which definitely didn't bribe her review score.

Oh silly me, she only reviewed the pc version, which was flawless on release.

Top Bottom