• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bubble Memories - the Taito classic that time forgot

VGEsoterica

So if you are a fan of Bubble Bobble (and honestly who isn’t lol) then you owe it to yourself to a) play Bubble Memories and b)....play Bubble Memories lol

It’s a weird situation with this game ; released on the Taito F3 along with Bubble Symphony. Symphony got a port to the Saturn and a cancelled but leaked port for the PS1. Then it released on compilations for Xbox and PS2. People heard of it, played it, and enjoyed it.

Memories...fell through the cracks somehow. Released only on a Japanese exclusive PS2 compilation that’s difficult to find these days AND a Korean exclusive pc release that is unicorn levels of rare. I had to check with a Korean collector friend just to confirm it wasn’t a bootleg. I haven’t seen one for sale in the two years since I picked mine up.

but gameplay wise, it’s classic Bubble Bobble. Cute and colorful game on the surface with the deep meta game (codes, hidden doors, potions hidden that you need to collect to obtain the true ending)underneath. Not sure who the target audience was on these. Kids or adults? Because as a kid I could NOT beat them without cheating lol

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I picked up Taito Memories II Jokan for this game. The charge-bubble becomes as essential to the gameplay as Mega Man's buster charge, IMO.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
definitely essential. I like how mechanically the series evolved over time to feature new gameplay styles. It would be hilarious to do a “small bubbles only” run
I don't have much knowledge about 3, but I watched a thorough video a year or two back on the scoring and secret mechanisms in Bubble Bobble. It's a devious little game design.

I'm also a fan of Rainbow Islands and even the new Bubble Bobble 4. Solid series all around that gets overshadowed (in the West) by it's own spinoff, Puzzle Bobble.

VGEsoterica

I don't have much knowledge about 3, but I watched a thorough video a year or two back on the scoring and secret mechanisms in Bubble Bobble. It's a devious little game design.

I'm also a fan of Rainbow Islands and even the new Bubble Bobble 4. Solid series all around that gets overshadowed (in the West) by it's own spinoff, Puzzle Bobble.

the hidden mechanics and scoring system in Bubble Bobble / Symphony / Memories is awesome. After you look a little deeper there is this rich and complex game underneath the surface. it’s an interesting mix of “colorful game for kids” and “complex game for everyone”

Rainbow Islands is fun too. Definitely don’t prefer it to Bubble Bobble but it’s still a fun time

yurinka

It's an amazing game. I love these series

Bubble Bobble (arcade)
Rainbow Islands: The story of Bubble Bobble 2 (arcade)
Parasol Stars: The story of Bubble Bobble 3 (PC-Engine)
Bubble Bobble part 2 (NES)
Bubble Symphony / Bubble Bobble II (arcade)
Bubble Memories: The story of Bubble Bobble III (arcade)
Bubble Bobble for Kakao (mobile)

VGEsoterica

It's an amazing game. I love these series

Bubble Bobble (arcade)
Rainbow Islands: The story of Bubble Bobble 2 (arcade)
Parasol Stars: The story of Bubble Bobble 3 (PC-Engine)
Bubble Bobble part 2 (NES)
Bubble Symphony / Bubble Bobble II (arcade)
Bubble Memories: The story of Bubble Bobble III (arcade)
Bubble Bobble for Kakao (mobile)

never heard of the mobile port. Any good?

VGEsoterica

NSfsgV6.jpg

the random and rare Korean exclusive pc release. Found it when looking for the arcade pcb and I’ve never seen another one for sale. Maybe in Korea or Korean auction sites it might be easier to find? But I’ve only ever seen one

yurinka

never heard of the mobile port. Any good?
I only saw some videos on internet, seems to be a cool brand new Bubble Bobble with nice 2D art and no scroll.

There are more Bubble Bobble games but with scroll or with very ugly 2.5D art so I didn't include them in the list.

VGEsoterica

I only saw some videos on internet, seems to be a cool brand new Bubble Bobble with nice 2D art and no scroll.

There are more Bubble Bobble games but with scroll or with very ugly 2.5D art so I didn't include them in the list.

interesting I’ll have to check it out somehow

mcjmetroid

I really didn't like bubble Bobble 4. I hate what they did to the game.

I never heard of bubble memories though. Is it on mame? I remember bubble symphony but never enjoyed the presentation of it. The music is grating and it's too twee for me.

Rainbows islands is fantastic.

yurinka

I really didn't like bubble Bobble 4. I hate what they did to the game.

I never heard of bubble memories though. Is it on mame? I remember bubble symphony but never enjoyed the presentation of it. The music is grating and it's too twee for me.

Rainbows islands is fantastic.
Yes, all the games I listed as "arcade" are on Mame.

I hate when a game change the main theme that made the original so great. In some case it works (Mario), but in most cases it doesn't, Bubble Bobble, Tetris, Zelda. Just give me the original theme in all their games dammit!

P.S. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, it made me want to seek out the original Bubble Bobble.

VGEsoterica

I hate when a game change the main theme that made the original so great. In some case it works (Mario), but in most cases it doesn't, Bubble Bobble, Tetris, Zelda. Just give me the original theme in all their games dammit!

P.S. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, it made me want to seek out the original Bubble Bobble.

At the drop of a hat I can hum the Bubble Bobble theme. It’s like a core childhood memory playing it on the NES. I don’t think I could ever forget that song. Same with the Moon Theme from Ducktales. Branded in my brain

Top Bottom