• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BugPEMu - New Atari Jaguar emulator has achieved 100% compatibility

stranno

game1D8C0621EB876398.png

3DO/Jaguar emulator Phoenix already achieved great compatibility many years ago (around ~85%), but this new emulator, BugPEMu, is finally compatible with the full cartridge library. Jaguar CD emulation yet to be added.

Features
  • Full compatibility.
    BigPEmu can run every game in the Jaguar's retail cartridge library.
  • Fast.
    The emulator runs the entire retail library (with default settings) at full speed on almost any x64-capable processor. Every Jaguar processor runs on a single native core (maintaining deterministic emulation) and doesn't rely on any dynamic recompilation (maintaining console compatibility), all the while maintaining extremely low system requirements.
  • Accurate.
    It's the most accurate Jaguar emulator to-date, although there is still lots of room for improvement. I'm continually working toward achieving system-wide cycle-accurate timing.
  • Better than hardware.
    Although the emulator defaults to settings which are catered toward compatibility and accuracy, it's capable of far more. Settings are exposed to overclock/underclock each of the Jaguar cores, as well as to adjust the speed and accuracy of other system components. BigPEmu enables you to play lots of Jaguar games at a full 60 frames per second for the first time ever!
  • Saved states and movies.
    Everything is completely deterministic, just like real life. That's right, I went there. This means that all "randomness" is also controlled by a preserved seed. BigPEmu can record movies from nothing but controller inputs, and play them back with perfect accuracy. You can even interrupt a movie's playback and start playing yourself at any point.
  • Excessive presentation detail.
    I've gone all-out on this one. There's native support for the Jaguar Game Drive's MRQ format in the cartridge browser (as well as box art sourced from PNG files), support for global and per-game backgrounds, and even support for controller overlays! Overlays are composited into the Jaguar controller on-the-fly, displayed on both the input binding screen and the helpful pop-up controller info display.
  • Extra device support.
    Featuring support for analog controllers (both via external bank switching and the ADC), driving controllers, rotary controllers, and Team Tap.
  • Glorious shaders.
    The emulator comes equipped with a powerful, fully customizable postprocessing system. The system supports any type of effect you can imagine, from applying smoothing filters to simulating CRT displays.
  • Native HDR support.
    HDR displays are natively supported, complete with options to tune the output to the characteristics of your display and to force postprocessing effects to employ HDR buffers all the way through the post chain. This means postprocessing effects take full advantage of that increased color precision and push it all the way through to your eyeballs. CRT shaders reap all the benefits. At 4K with HDR color output, they are an amazing sight to behold.
  • Per-game profiles.
    Mapping the Atari Jaguar controller to anything other than a telephone with wings can get a little complicated, so you might want to switch your controller mapping up for different games. You can do that! With per-game profiles, you can automatically load up a new input scheme (or any other emulator setting) each time you load a game.
  • Manipulate time.
    Native fast forwarding capability, which can be assigned to any input.
  • Plugins.
    Stock plugins cover support for video, audio, input, and networking across broadly compatible API's, with the potential to easily expand to any platform/interface. The OpenGL video plugin can scale all the way from its default incarnation (with support for effects, distance field fonts, etc.) down to fixed function OpenGL 1.0, meaning that the emulator can run on just about any GPU that can run GLQuake. (although the font would look pretty bad on some of them)
  • The usual.
    Enjoy all of the emulator niceties you've come to expect in modern times. Automatic preservation of EEPROM, PAL support, custom boot ROM images, native support for multiple displays and different aspect ratios, custom display cropping, extremely customizable input, custom language support, and a whole lot more.
  • Full of terrible secrets.
    No, really, it is. You'll never find them.
Future Goals
BigPEmu launched as an extremely full-featured emulator, but there's still a lot to do! Some of the big-ticket items which remain are:
  • Jaguar CD support.
    I need your help with this one! Jaguar CD units are way too expensive, at least right now, and I don't have one. Please consider donating if you can spare either the hardware or money for one. If you do have a hardware unit that you're willing to donate (no temporary loans, please, I don't want to be responsible for lost/damaged hardware), please contact me. Although I can make some progress by blindly emulating features used in existing software, the only path toward complete accuracy (and the emulation of features which may not be utilized in existing software) involves working with real hardware.
  • Jaguar VR support.
    I'm planning on giving Jaguar VR the same treatment that I gave to Sega VR! As with Sega VR, I was able to create a nice implementation without having access to the hardware, but having the hardware would still help a lot and ensure a greater degree of authenticity. As above, if you have hardware that you'd be willing to part with, please contact me.
  • JagLink support.
    After all, what use is anything if you can't Deathmatch on it? Once again, I could use some support on this one, as I need to buy a JagLink (or modern substitute) and another Jaguar if I want to go beyond the blind software implementation.
  • Greater accuracy.
    Timing is still far from perfect in BigPEmu. There are some known quirks here and there, but the next big step toward even greater accuracy is full emulation of bus access and priorities. This is generally an expensive thing to do in software, so it will likely be paired with the next goal...
  • Make it even faster!
    BigPEmu is already pretty well optimized, but there's still some low-hanging fruit to improve performance even more. This will enable BigPEmu to run on even older hardware, but perhaps more importantly, it will make room for the expensive options which move us closer to being cycle-accurate.
  • Developer builds.
    Behind the scenes, BigPEmu already enjoys full integration with the Noesis debugger, and has a wide variety of other debugging and development features. However, I still need to clean some of these features up and prepare separate builds which are specifically catered toward Jaguar developers.
  • Flexible scripting.
    Natively, BigPEmu has already implemented a complete interface for scriptable breakpoints, and uses a special technique to make breakpoints free on the RISC processors. My plan is to open this system up with script bindings, so you will be able to easily set breakpoints, poke RAM, and otherwise do anything you could want to do to the emulated system through easy-to-use script code. This will enable TAS, achievements, and many other things.
  • Ports.
    BigPEmu is already extremely portable, and runs on at least 6 different console/desktop platforms. The framework it employs for this standalone release is also designed around portability, so I'm planning ports to Linux and macOS at a minimum. However, I don't actually have any machines running macOS at the moment, so that's a small blocker.
  • Murder all the bugs.
    There are probably still a bunch of bugs that I don't know about, and you can help me find them.
I have tried it on Steam Deck and it has solid performance at only 6 watts, so great news for the Steam Deck users.

dc9k17Z.png

coffinbirth

Can confirm, works great without any tweaking!

Anyone have a working CD unit they can donate for future CD support?

Last edited:

nush

JagLink support.
After all, what use is anything if you can't Deathmatch on it? Once again, I could use some support on this one, as I need to buy a JagLink (or modern substitute) and another Jaguar if I want to go beyond the blind software implementation.

Don't bother, I had this for Doom and it crashes all the time. Unless he wants to also put in the time to patch the Doom cart as well.

VGEsoterica

I saw this news. Still have to check it out. Awesome though as Jaguar hardware has gotten dummy expensive lately. Way more than it’s worth IMO

I will try mac native version if released.
Why didn’t they just make that fuckin thing just a CD console
tumblr_odgav6GvpA1tdhimpo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Now if we can just get a perfect Saturn emulator next.

It's not as easy (or rather it's even harder) to get to 100% when you have hundreds or thousands of games. Next to no emus are if we include 100% accuracy qualifications rather than just "it seems fine except obscure game x or unnoticeable artifact y so it's fine" or whatever.

Saturn emulation has been as great as any other system that doesn't have its reputation for several years, perhaps a bit more demanding than something like the lowest spec PlayStation emulator that is still good and popular, but nothing a this-decade PC can't chew through anyway.

Mednafen stand alone (command line or with a GUI like Mednaffe or whatever similar thing) or as the Beetle core in RA (which in either case is a great multi-system emulator including PS and other platforms) & SSF stand alone play pretty much anything you'd care to with no real issues.

Then there are other emulators like Yabause and forks for something that is lighter for low spec devices or Kronos if you care for enhancements like high resolution (which really don't work all that great for such low fi 3D anyway) which aren't as compatible but keep improving themselves too.

Hell, even that Polymega emulation system's Saturn emulation is great, City Connection's emulator for their official S Tribute releases on PC and Switch and elsewhere is also solid for the games they've released so far (tuned to each but folks have ripped it to use with other games on Switch), etc...

Last edited:

stranno

Rich has published the 1.01 version and a message.

- Added variable-sized EEPROM support, thanks to Reboot for providing some test cases. 512 byte and 2KB EEPROM settings are picked up from the MRQ file if it exists, otherwise any number of EEPROM address bits can be specified via the -eeprombits command line option.

- Added JaguarGD bank switching support.

- Fix for exception-handled M68K reads in unmapped address space.

- Fix for Blitter not correctly wrapping cyan/red on add when ADDDSEL is set, thanks to ScatoLOGIC for reporting the BattleSphere bug which led to this fix.

- Fix for Blitter not starting on the correct bit when block width is less than pixel size and phrase mode is not enabled, thanks to ScatoLOGIC for reporting the BattleSphere bug which led to this fix.

- Going in for a major surgery tomorrow (2022/12/06), so expect that I'll be mostly unavailable and that there won't be any emulator updates for at least a couple of weeks.

Stay strong, buddy 💪

Romulus

I decided to give this a try and it runs well. I only have PS4/5 controllers so I don't know how to get them working properly

Grechy34

This is a really good emulator. For anyone who wants to have a look at the library without forking now a lot of money for an original Jaguar this is the best option.

How many of the jaguar games are on the atari 50th anniversary collection, and how many are decent?

I think there's 8. Tempest 2000 is the best of the lot and the others are mediocre to bad. Would have been much better if they included Wolfenstein 3D, Aliens Vs Predator etc.

Futaleufu

Amazing news.

Some of you - unsurprisingly - completely miss the point of emulation.
You can't blame them, the only reason it took this long to get a working Jaguar emulator was lack of interest from emulation coders. Nobody wanted to work on it because the exclusive games weren't worth the time.

stranno

I think there's 8. Tempest 2000 is the best of the lot and the others are mediocre to bad. Would have been much better if they included Wolfenstein 3D, Aliens Vs Predator etc.
Those licenses are just too expensive, especially Alien or Predator. Completely off the table.

Last edited:

Grechy34

You can't blame them, the only reason it took this long to get a working Jaguar emulator was lack of interest from emulation coders. Nobody wanted to work on it because the exclusive games weren't worth the time.

I wonder if this opens up anything for the Mister - or that hardware may not have enough juice.

stranno

BigPEmu is getting CD support.

I don't actually have the hardware yet (it should be arriving in a few days, thanks to the generosity of our friend Mycah Mattox), but by using the CD BIOS and VLM as a guide, I'm successfully emulating the Jaguar CD at the low level now. No cheating with BIOS hooks or anything of that nature, this is the real deal! Sub-channel data is all working correctly, and I think CD+G support might even be working, but I haven't tested it yet. I've still gotta implement appropriate events and delays, so everything is instant-ready at the moment, but VLM is happy enough with that. With this low level approach, I'm expecting that once I decide to try booting into some games, most things will Just Work™ and progress there will be pretty rapid. At least, I'm hoping.

Here's a video of BigPEmu running VLM with a Dir en grey CD!

BIOS and VLM player support has been added using the hardware documentation, but he is getting the real hardware in a few days. VLM Player video can be seen in his Patreon,

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
For such a nicely coded emulator its such a shame it has such an unmitigated failure of a games catalogue to run on it.

I can't think of a single game I'd go out of my way to play on the Jaguar.

Last edited:

stranno

Full Jaguar CD support has been added in the current 1.05 version, available for Patreons (it will be public in a few days).

MemoryTrack yet to be added.

PS: Now I noticed it wrote BugPEMu in the title 😵

Last edited:
Top Bottom