• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BugPEMu - New Atari Jaguar emulator has achieved 100% compatibility

ReBurn

Gold Member
John and Rich were talking the other day about the emulator and the new scripting system, that allow crazy things like native resolution or 60FPS patches.

I watched this the other day. I thought it was interesting. Sucks the guy has cancer.

stranno

So as someone who has never touched a Jaguar, are there any gems worth playing besides Tempest 2000?
My favorite is Power Drive Rally, a "remake" of the Super Nintendo and Genesis versions. It's not an easy game tho. Super Burnout is highly acclaimed. Iron Soldier 1/2 are very good games with amazing destruction physics by the time and decent framerate for fully polygonal games on Jaguar. Cannon Fodder could be the best version of the game in console, but also one of the hardest (the difficulty of the game across versions derives from how random are the debris from explosions, which sounds weird, but it is a big pita in some versiones, especially on this one).

Most people would say Alien vs Predator, but I'm not a big fan of that game, it is a very boring orthogonal-design first person shooter. Doom was light years ahead back in the day.

nkarafo

So as someone who has never touched a Jaguar, are there any gems worth playing besides Tempest 2000?

For me, the Jaguar was about only two games back in the day: DOOM and Rayman. These two showed what the Jaguar could do.

However, these days there's no reason to play this version of DOOM and Rayman has slightly better versions on PS1/Saturn.

Alien VS Predator is the most popular exclusive, but i was never a fan of it, for the same reason stranno stranno mentioned above: Orthogonal map engine. It's way too archaic now.

For me, the most interesting Jaguar game i played recently was "Attack of the Mutant Penguins". It's a strategy game which i found fun enough to play even today and i'm not sure if there is a better, similar game or version.

stranno

The question is could the Jag handle Tomb-Raider? And how competently
XProger, OpenLara's author, was trying to port it to Jaguar (as well as 32X and 3DO), but I think there haven't been any progress so far. Jaguar is probably just to difficult to deal with.

As far as I know, Jaguar is incredible flexible when it comes to graphics (it was the first console ever with programmable graphics pipeline), but the 3D performance is really poor (on top of the crappy memory layout that completely bottlenecks the fillrate).

RAIDEN1

XProger, OpenLara's author, was trying to port it to Jaguar (as well as 32X and 3DO), but I think there haven't been any progress so far. Jaguar is probably just to difficult to deal with.

As far as I know, Jaguar is incredible flexible when it comes to graphics (it was the first console ever with programmable graphics pipeline), but the 3D performance is really poor (on top of the crappy memory layout that completely bottlenecks the fillrate).
And on top of that going with a Motorola processor that was probably top of the line in 80s but was well past its sell by date by 1993

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

More difficult than GBA?

stranno

And on top of that going with a Motorola processor that was probably top of the line in 80s but was well past its sell by date by 1993
But you can avoid the M68K for rendering. Of course that wouldn't go anywhere in terms of 3D performance. The main processor of Jaguar is not really the CPU, but Tom (GPU + memory controller + objects processor + blitter).

More difficult than GBA?
OpenLara on GBA is an amazing achievement, but I suppose it is not "difficult" by itself. Lots of studios did 3D games back in the day. The console itself is pretty straightforward when it comes to CPU, memory and rendering. While Jaguar is a big pita due number of processors, lacking of processors cache, memory layout, etc.

Anyway, the current OpenLara on GBA with outstanding performance and two levels is relatively recent, like two years, but the original port has been in development for many years, I remember the travelling tech demo (with far worse performance) like 10 years ago. So I guess he has been working on it for a long time. Checking the Github, it seems he has been working on 32X and 3DO ports, but the Jaguar port is probably abandoned. There are also two-three N64 ports out there, but handled by another people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom