• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie’s New IP Might Ditch Tiger Engine For Unreal Engine 5, Job Listing Suggests

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
bungie-new-ip-tiger-engine-unreal-engine-5-1-860x484.jpg

The Destiny developer, Bungie currently has several unannounced projects in development, including some new IPs in the incubation phase. The company has been actively posting new job positions for these unannounced projects on its careers website. Some of these job ads hint at a potential shift away from Bungie’s Tiger Engine.

Most of the job listings for this unannounced game IP require experience with Unreal Engine, which has sparked speculation in the community that Bungie might be moving away from its internal game engine, as TGP reported recently.

However, one particular job ad stands out, as it explicitly mentions “Unreal [Engine] 5” – which is the latest generation of Epic’s Unreal Engine, released last year. This job listing is for the Gameplay Engineering Lead who will work on a “new IP and a new genre at Bungie” with “lighthearted and whimsical characters.”

Under the Responsibilities section, it states that the candidate will “build and maintain production-quality gameplay systems, workflows, and tools in C++ on Unreal [Engine] 5.“

“Would you like to work on a new IP and new genre at Bungie that combines amazing action feel with lighthearted and whimsical characters? Are you excited to work on joyful PvP combat and action gameplay?”

Bungie has confirmed that it plans to release at least one new IP by 2025. The company is also working on a new Marathon game that features Escape from Tarkov-like systems. We have also compiled a list of all Bungie’s current and future projects in development which you can check out here.

StueyDuck

Don't they have a side project in conjunction with netease or one of those ccp companies... strong chance it's for that and not their next big game/ip

Matter? Isn't it called matter

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Epic is the leading technology developer in the industry. Makes sense you would want to work with the best of the best.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Prepare for stutters and shader compilation
You know, I didn't understand this until recently, the freaking Shadow Warrior 3, a AA game with small levels, is a stutter mess on PC, I don't care at all on traversal but god damn why in combat? The engine isn't bad at all, problem is exactly that: Stutters... And it's basically the only engine that has given me that problem, I'm not day 1 buyer on PC so those issues are fixed by when I decide to play a game but some like that one and Jedi Fallen Order can't be helped... Though I played like 40 hours of Ghostwire Tokyo (loved it!) and was smooth as butter after some ours, but it didn't have as many stutters as others claimed at the beginning anyway, just one here and there on traversal.

I haven't worked on UE but maybe there are some settings that are enabled by default that shouldn't? I mean, it depends on devs skill but not all devs have skill and/or time to avoid UE bs.

It helps with outsourcing and cheapening development costs, I suppose.

But it results in games looking all the same.
Assuming devs avpid presets and stay the hell away from Quixel, the engine really should have very little effect on what the games look like. None of the above sounds like something a developer like Bungie should have a problem with.

Fbh

Enjoy your (near) native 4K 60fps and optional 1440P/120fps PVP modes in Destiny 2.
Looks like we are going back to 900p/30fps!

Top Bottom