• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie And NetEase Are Working On A New FPS Mobile Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie, the developer behind Destiny and Halo, and NetEase, one of the biggest tech companies in China, are working on an unannounced first-person shooter mobile game, it’s been revealed.

That’s according to the LinkedIn profile of one of the artists at NetEase Games who, in cooperation with Bungie, helped develop “an unannounced FPS mobile game”.

A source with knowledge of NetEase’s development plans has told TGP that the studio is working on a new Destiny game. The title has been in development for well over two years now.

It has also been suggested that this unannounced Destiny game from NetEase is not related to Bungie’s current flagship title — Destiny 2.

Last year, TGP reported that Bungie might be working on a Destiny mobile game with NetEase Games, as the studio put out several job listings for a large mobile title in the Destiny franchise.

In addition to that, it looks like Bungie is now interested in building its own internal mobile game engine to “reach players on iOS and Android mobile platforms”.

NetEase Games is an expert when it comes to mobile games, with several huge mobile games under its belt. So, it’s safe to assume that sooner or later, Bungie will branch out the Destiny franchise to mobile devices.

Bungie‘s CEO, Pete Parsons revealed that NetEase has “a significant amount of experience in mobile we [Bungie] don’t have” and that this partnership will allow them to “incubate new ideas”.

hlm666

Guess no one has worked out yet how to spin their first announcement after acquisition being a mobile game as a positive. Makes me wonder if Netease was looking at buying Bungie and that's why the price was on the high side.

Tams

Its Going Down GIF by Philips Norelco

Ozriel

M$FT
And there were those who scoffed at the price Sony paid for Bungie.
this mobile shooter alone could likely pull in hundreds of millions of USD in revenue if executed properly.

Jim Ryan may have his detractors, but he’s making very good business decisions.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Bungie is doing this instead of a full blown game? Guess they want those sweet sweet mobile dollars.

Or, plot twist, they are actual working on new mobile Sony hardware! Psvita2 confirmed!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Not necessarily.

Remember Uncharted Fortune Hunter? No?

What about Run Sackboy Run?

Or Playstation All Stars Island? God of War: Mimir's Vision? Chimparty?

No? None of these?

These and countless others were made by Playstation and I highly doubt any of them made more money for Sony. But maybe Bungie will be different? History is not on their side.
Lognor whenever he sees any Sony related thread:
Responding Jim Carrey GIF

Lognor

Banned
Lognor whenever he sees any Sony related thread:
Responding Jim Carrey GIF
Well I have a mobile phone so I could try this new game. Not like it's completely irrelevant to me. And plus, if we are going to gatekeep who can post in which threads this place won't see much activity.

Reallink

Guess no one has worked out yet how to spin their first announcement after acquisition being a mobile game as a positive. Makes me wonder if Netease was looking at buying Bungie and that's why the price was on the high side.

They were bought for the price of Star Wars and Marvel and given contracturalized full independent autonomy, of course there were multiple suitors bidding.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not necessarily.

Remember Uncharted Fortune Hunter? No?

What about Run Sackboy Run?

Or Playstation All Stars Island? God of War: Mimir's Vision? Chimparty?

No? None of these?

These and countless others were made by Playstation and I highly doubt any of them made more money for Sony. But maybe Bungie will be different? History is not on their side.

None of these were mobile FPS GaaS games.
That’s one of the hottest genres out there. And none have the IP brand cachet of Destiny

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And it will be to launder which cartel’s illicit drug money? :p

I do not believe I’ll ever not be suspicious of mobile gaming.

No cartell is giving Apple and Google 30% + paying loads of taxes to launder money.. not to mention the massive expense of somehow turning cash into game purchases by millions of individual accounts.

Like come on people lol

FrankCaron

Shadowgun: Legends, which is in effect a mobile Destiny clone with full online multiplayer, is already decently big and had some great support. Plays well, too. If Bungie and NetEase followed that model with the polish of Diablo: Immortal (albeit ideally without the same level of predatorial P2W), a legit mobile Destiny could do really well.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Crimson Steam Pirates was really good back in the day. It was Crimson Skies on the ocean, made by a bunch of ex-Microsoft folks at Bungie and Harebrained Schemes.

Barakov

Gold Member

Bungie, the developer behind Destiny and Halo, and NetEase, one of the biggest tech companies in China, are working on an unannounced first-person shooter mobile game, it’s been revealed.

That’s according to the LinkedIn profile of one of the artists at NetEase Games who, in cooperation with Bungie, helped develop “an unannounced FPS mobile game”.

A source with knowledge of NetEase’s development plans has told TGP that the studio is working on a new Destiny game. The title has been in development for well over two years now.

It has also been suggested that this unannounced Destiny game from NetEase is not related to Bungie’s current flagship title — Destiny 2.

Last year, TGP reported that Bungie might be working on a Destiny mobile game with NetEase Games, as the studio put out several job listings for a large mobile title in the Destiny franchise.

In addition to that, it looks like Bungie is now interested in building its own internal mobile game engine to “reach players on iOS and Android mobile platforms”.

NetEase Games is an expert when it comes to mobile games, with several huge mobile games under its belt. So, it’s safe to assume that sooner or later, Bungie will branch out the Destiny franchise to mobile devices.

Bungie‘s CEO, Pete Parsons revealed that NetEase has “a significant amount of experience in mobile we [Bungie] don’t have” and that this partnership will allow them to “incubate new ideas”.
Installing Bluestacks as we speak.

Ceadeus

Destiny mobile no doubt about it.

There is no way bungie would introduce a new IP on mobile format. So Destiny is their only one choice

Pallas

Gold Member
These two had a partnership at around the time Bungie broke up with Activision and before being acquired by Sony, this is probably from that.

Sorry if it’s been posted already.

Top Bottom