• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Announces Marathon | PlayStation Showcase

SRTtoZ

I wish they explained WTF it even is. I mean it's bungie but it seemed like a side project. It's not the next big thing after Destiny right? I don't wanna call it an indie game because Bungie is NOT an indie studio but is this just a side thing they're working on while they work on the "next big thing" to Destiny?

Aenima

Loved the artstyle. Pitty i will never touch these kind of games. Wake me up when Bungie does another single player FPS with a good story, which is probably never again.

Last edited:
I think this looks awesome

I don't play a lot of MP games but that's because they don't make the ones that I like anymore. But a competitive Bungie sci fi action PVP extraction came could be superb

the art style is really great in this too

Crayon

The visual design in the trailer gave me chills.

But it's another online shooter.

Hey I might get a cool wallpaper out if this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Rofl... I love how all these predictable designed by committee types are suddenly all pushing out PvP extraction shooters at the same time like their all using the same defualt AI prediction algorithm.

The first trailer was one too... well Sony didn't buy Bungie for their game making skills but their ability to lie and push MTX.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Sony paid 4billion for this crap 😂
There are already people on social media saying that this isn't what Sony paid for and the real reason they were bought was because they were shown the plans for Destiny 3.

I just......🤣

ZehDon

Gold Member
post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

Wimbledon

Oz8omos.png

i'm not going to lie i'd like to see more. Cause Destiny at least to me when it first came out was a unique type of shooter i played. Cause i've never played MMO-fps or shared world shooter etc before.

I just believe with this that what they're making isn't going to be just an extraction shooter. They're going to add other elements to it, that THEY BELIEVE will stand out within the genre same way with destiny.

Also I love the aesthetic , gun play i know is going to be great. Even though destinys PVP can be cancer at times the PVE side of it and just overall gameplay of destiny is second to none, and I still play destiny 2 even today.

I'm looking forward to this, interested to see more.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oz8omos.png

i'm not going to lie i'd like to see more. Cause Destiny at least to me when it first came out was a unique type of shooter i played. Cause i've never played MMO-fps or shared world shooter etc before.

I just believe with this that what they're making isn't going to be just an extraction shooter. They're going to add other elements to it, that THEY BELIEVE will stand out within the genre.

Also I love the aesthetic , gun play i know is going to be great. Even though destinys PVP can be cancer at time the PVE side of it and just overall gameplay of destiny is 2nd to none still play destiny 2 even today.

I'm looking forward to interested to see more.

Its GAAS. All GAAS games are trash. It is by their very nature.

What's the point of the great futuristic settings when the main gameplay will be boring competitive shooter with predicted gameplay loop?

Last edited:

Wimbledon

Its GAAS. All GAAS games are trash. It is by their very nature.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

I agree to some extent but I also play Destiny a shit ton and enjoy it for the most part. Also Destiny was the first game GAAS model (and only game) that I've played that I've sunk so much money in.

If the game is good, I'll most likely be playing this a shit ton as well. But it's still a wait and see , the lack of a campaign turns me off.

Last edited:

Gudji

I wish they explained WTF it even is. I mean it's bungie but it seemed like a side project. It's not the next big thing after Destiny right? I don't wanna call it an indie game because Bungie is NOT an indie studio but is this just a side thing they're working on while they work on the "next big thing" to Destiny?
Its an extraction shooter kinda like escape from tarkov, marauders, the cycle, etc. Many people have been saying for a while that this genre will become the next big thing. It's exciting because bungie is good with gameplay and now has a lot of experience with destiny.

Raonak

Banned
Is this meant to be in the destiny universe by any chance? Even if it's loosely connected, like in the future/past?

Neon Xenon

So those rumors months back about Marathon being brought back as a PvP extraction shooter were true.

Now...I will say that I like the aesthetic. A lot. I wonder if someone at Bungie took some cues from The Designers Republic, which honestly makes me tempted for that merchandise.

When I think "Marathon", the multiplayer is not what comes to mind, it's the single player and story above anything else. So I do have to question the decision to have that name on a PvP extraction shooter where you play as a Runner (ha ha), even for something that's been out of the general picture for decades. Maybe the gameplay itself could be great, and they do something interesting with this particular genre, and any name baggage won't matter as much, but still. That's going to be hanging on the game no matter how it turns out.

I want to keep a close eye on this. This is still Bungie, so I'm not going to write this off. Not yet.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Whose publishing this? I don't recall seeing the PS Studios logo before this. Very likely a long existing project before the acquisition.
Right here. You can also look up my posts saying whatever project they were working on before the acquisition will likely be multi-plat.

SSxa6Of.png

It sucks when you try to post gotchas and they come back to bite you in the ass.

Bungie are trash. Why did sony even bother acquiring them?
Destiny makes a shit-ton of positive cash flow.

7n171y.jpg

I graduated in 2011 with a terrible understanding of the CFS. Long story short Bungie makes Sony a shit-ton of money vs. the value of Bungie sitting in the bank, especially in the highest inflationary period in 40 years.

Last edited:

flying_sq

You guys have seen the videos mandaloregaming did on the lore right? They're pretty good. Even got the prequel to marathon.

Banned
well... that was a load of nothing really.

I just hope their controller aiming and settings will finally not be atrociously outdated anymore

VAVA Mk2

After watching the video tonight, I am not that hyped. This game is like 2 years away at least. Marathon was a narrative driven game. This doesn't feel like it at all with a P v P and extraction focus. Maybe it's just me but this really feels like an indie game and not a big budget project.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It sucks when you try to post gotchas and they come back to bite you in the ass.

Are ya gonna just overlook the numerous posts about the netease project and just jump the post about bungies "NEXT" project that was rumored to be a PS exclusive?

um. ok. I guess context has gone the way of the dodo.

edit: My bad, I posted all those in the other topic replying to another user.

Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-comments-on-the-playstation-showcase.1656959/post-267982480

It's not a "gotcha" if it happens the way someone writes it.

Last edited:

Rykan

I'll own up with a plate of crow. Jimbo's lied through his teeth on multiple occasions, and Sony's never played nice with others unless they're dragged kicking and screaming since 1996, so I'm pleasantly surprised they kept their word.

Edit - No, I don't trust PR speak coming out of Phil's mouth either.
I have no idea why you doubled down on it so much in the first place. The press releases from both companies said that the games were going to be multiplatform. Releasing the very first game as an exclusive would have a lot of investors asking questions because it suggests that they are unreliable.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Are ya gonna just overlook the numerous posts about the netease project and just jump the post about bungies "NEXT" project that was rumored to be a PS exclusive?

um. ok. I guess context has gone the way of the dodo.

edit: My bad, I posted all those in the other topic replying to another user.

Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/microsoft-comments-on-the-playstation-showcase.1656959/post-267982480

It's not a "gotcha" if it happens the way someone writes it.

My point was that when you thought that Bungie's next title was going to be a PlayStation exclusive you made a quip about it that was intended to make fun of people who told you that Bungie said they were still going to release cross-platform games. Now that it turns out that their next title is NOT a PlayStation exclusive, you're saying that it was in development before the acquisition so it doesn't count.

You shouldn't have made that post back in April when it was just a rumor, but don't handwave away that post by showing other posts before that where you have essentially hedged your bets.

gothmog

Gold Member
I think it sounds like the original Destiny concept with your team going in to get ancient artifacts. Mix that in with the Marathon universe and it could be great.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My point was that when you thought that Bungie's next title was going to be a PlayStation exclusive you made a quip about it that was intended to make fun of people who told you that Bungie said they were still going to release cross-platform games. Now that it turns out that their next title is NOT a PlayStation exclusive, you're saying that it was in development before the acquisition so it doesn't count.

You shouldn't have made that post back in April when it was just a rumor, but don't handwave away that post by showing other posts before that where you have essentially hedged your bets.

That post in the rumor topic was clearly an off-hand joke my man, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously lol.

Any time anyone says "but GAF told me ..." it's a joke in 99.99% cases.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
That post in the rumor topic was clearly an off-hand joke my man, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously lol.

Any time anyone says "but GAF told me ..." it's a joke in 99.99% cases.

I don't know how to respond. I'm already sitting on my high horse, and I didn't expect a reasonable reply.

Last edited:
I'll give it to them, it was a cool trailer. Great style and music... but why did you show us this? There is not gameplay and you're nowhere near completion, it seems. I feel like they just threw this out there as a "look we're doing something with the Bungie acquisitions" and "see, we weren't lying about letting Bungie stay independent"

Top Bottom