• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie May Have as Many as 4 New Projects in the Works

Stuart360

He asked why bungie did it. I told him their reasons, and you want to get into an argument about a game you don't even care about. Predictable lol
Yeah i dont now you're right. I would of played through the campaigns from time to time though. I put 12 hours into the MP and it never clicked with me. I quite enjoyed the main D2 campaign, and the first 2 expansion campaigns.

Last edited:

CamHostage

They could have them as a seperate download, detached from the main game. Some games do that on Steam.
If it wasnt paid content then fair enough, you know what i mean.

It's not the download that's the problem though. Some people still have the content on their HDDs, or it's on the disc right now. Having access to get the content (the audio files, the level maps, whatever else they have in these Destiny packs that aren't playable anymore,) that's easy.

Making them playable again, though, that's hard for an online-oriented game. If they cannot keep the server support up for outmoded content, and if the ranking/leveling system no longer fits the loot/EXP values of that old content in a way that it cannot be included in current player's stats, then the only way to continue the content in an offline capacity would be to create a way to sever the server support and make these chunks offline (or limited P2P matchup) modules.

And ultimately, the value of doing that ends up being questionable; there are much better ways of getting new Destiny players up to speed in that universe without making thrown-out chunks of game playable, and for old players, there would be relatively few reasons besides "it's still there" for them to want to play old parts of the game which won't help their progression much or at all. Unless a GAAS tells a really good ongoing story (which is rare... if not nonexistent,) the fun of a game like Destiny is in what's going on right now.

Last edited:

sainraja

The people in this thread complaining the loudest about removed Destiny content are the ones who don't play it.
The game's evolved and if you've invested time and money into the game that is the current Destiny, you know you've gotten your money's worth. Destiny 2 hooked me once I understood how guns work in it, with the different perks rolls, each exotic having something unique etc. That is when I fully dived in. Prior to that, I still played Destiny since it was my main online game, but I jumped on only for Crucible after completing the campaigns.

I agree it would have been nice to be able to go back to removed content but so far the trade off hasn't been so bad IMO since we keep getting new content, new weapons etc. I have even suggested (as others in this thread did) in Destiny specific discussions outside of GAF that if Bungie could release campaign content in a separate pack it would be great. But what D2 offers right now is great.

Last edited:

Barakov

I love multiplayer videogames!!
yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Shubh_C63

Very interested in anything Bungie makes. Destiny may had taken its good time but it has actually been delivering since last year.

Now release a third person WoW-lite Gaas with medieval setting.
but looks like a PvP focus will release first.

Dynasty8

If Lightfall.is anything close to the Witch Queen in terms of quality, count me in. They have done an amazing job last couple years with D2 to turn the ship around.

Find this hard to believe as Bungie have only ever been a 1 game developer, and let's be honest they've not been great at updating 1 game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
yeah I doubt it.

This is Sony’s new

Sony_Online_Entertainment_Logo.png

Much improved I would argue too. Single player games thrive from exclusivity, you can argue. Multiplayer games, nah.
Even the old SoE did a lot of good work for Sony (some in that division helped ship the wreck PSN 1.0 would have been) and I did enjoy EQ: OA.

Bungie within Sony can do a lot to help other studios knowledge sharing, helping them with tech for the live services setup and game technology (server side too) which is invaluable (certainly more than the value that forcing their games to be exclusives would be). One more studio helping out to ensure DualSense 2 is even more improved snd PS6 gets even more eyes on it as it develops internally before reaching even trusted big third parties.

Games can be multiplatform but also very very well optimised for PS5 which is more than they would get if Bungie were a third party. I think Sony did their homework with this acquisition.

MOTM

Banned
I think I'm the only person who didn't care for this purchase. Bungie focuses on online-only mechanics and gameplay that I just don't care for. But hey, here's hoping they make Sony a lot back in returns.
I think 90% of people don’t care. Also they’re staying multiplat so there’s no impact for anybody.

It's amazing how everybody here started caring about Bungie over the past month or so

EDIT: I also love how everybody wants them to abandon their strengths and "make a 3rd person offline single player game". Like I'm sure they could make a decent game of that, but their strength has always been first person gameplay and multiplayer.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Zero respect for this company. Will probably just be 4 new ways to nickle and dime their customers in every way possible.

This would be exciting if it was halo era bungie that Sony bought, but I really can’t get excited over this acquisition.

Hope they surprise me, because I don’t want online stuff like destiny.

Fbh

I want a PVP game from them that isn't tied to a grindy PVE GaaS.

I really enjoyed the core gameplay from the Destiny 1 PVP mode but having to do all the grindy repetitive shit to get good gear and weapons was annoying as hell.

mortal

Gold Member
Curious about all of them, especially this Matter IP.
Art-wise, it looks to be a far cry from anything else they've made thus far. Perhaps a Fortnite competitor?

bungie-competitive-game-750x375.jpg
bungie-competitive-game-3-1160x545.jpg

yurinka

Bungie said last month they "plans to bring at least one new IP to market before 2025". Meaning that in addition to Matter they could release one or more new IPs during 2022-2024:
https://www.bungie.net/en-us/Explore/Detail/News/50109

Curious about all of them, especially this Matter IP.
Art-wise, it looks to be a far cry from anything else they've made thus far. Perhaps a Fortnite competitor?

bungie-competitive-game-750x375.jpg
bungie-competitive-game-3-1160x545.jpg

Another concept art drawing they included in the recruitment video where they shown the artwork you posted with the ships (they didn't mention if it was for Matter or not). What is the source of your first artwork?
Matter-1.png

This would be exciting if it was halo era bungie that Sony bought, but I really can’t get excited over this acquisition.

Hope they surprise me, because I don’t want online stuff like destiny.
Bungie has been way more successful with online games like Destiny than when they did with Halo before, to they point they have been one of the most successful studios in FPS, online MP and GaaS. So Bungie will want to continue with the online stuff.

Sony bought them to have someone super successful something they didn't have before: super successful FPS, online MP and specially GaaS. So Sony will want them to continue with online stuff. In addition to continue creating super sucessful new IPs and to continue Destiny, obviously.

Could be big for Sony, especially if these new IPs are console exclusive.
Yep, could easily mean the two biggest platforms, Playstation and PC.

No doubt when Phil said something similar you were having a party about exclusive CoD games though 🤡
They won't be PS exclusive. When they announced the acquisition Jim Ryan said Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue multipatform including rival consoles. Bungie also specified that Destiny 2 and future games and expansions wouldn't be PlayStation exclusives.

So maximum they could have exclusivity for game subscriptions, for game demos/betas or who knows if some smalle timed exclusivity for dlcs or games. But in theory all future Bungie games will be available in other consoles. In fact they are working to bring Destiny 2 to Switch via cloud gaming.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Bungie said last month they "plans to bring at least one new IP to market before 2025". Meaning that in addition to Matter they could release one or more new IPs during 2022-2024:

Another concept art drawing they included in the recruitment video where they shown the artwork you posted with the ships (they didn't mention if it was for Matter or not). What is the source of your first artwork?
Matter-1.png
That art with Matter logo was used by various outlets reporting on the news. They may or may not be related, although the vibrant logo design makes it more plausible to put two and two togther.
The source of art itself is on their website's recruirtment page.

bg-falling.jpg

Hezekiah

Banned

Matter-1.png

Bungie has been way more successful with online games like Destiny than when they did with Halo before, to they point they have been one of the most successful studios in FPS, online MP and GaaS. So Bungie will want to continue with the online stuff.

Sony bought them to have someone super successful something they didn't have before: super successful FPS, online MP and specially GaaS. So Sony will want them to continue with online stuff. In addition to continue creating super sucessful new IPs and to continue Destiny, obviously.

They won't be PS exclusive. When they announced the acquisition Jim Ryan said Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue multipatform including rival consoles. Bungie also specified that Destiny 2 and future games and expansions wouldn't be PlayStation exclusives.

So maximum they could have exclusivity for game subscriptions, for game demos/betas or who knows if some smalle timed exclusivity for dlcs or games. But in theory all future Bungie games will be available in other consoles. In fact they are working to bring Destiny 2 to Switch via cloud gaming.
Yeah multiplatform could mean Playstation and PC.

Destiny will continue on the platforms it's been released on, but Xbox, who knows? Especially if they took CoD off Playstation.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wish one of them was destiny 3 before they got ok with gutting content you paid for out. Funny I can still play D1 but can’t play d2….

yurinka

Yeah multiplatform could mean Playstation and PC.
No.

To be clear, I'll repeat it again highlighting the important part: Jim Ryan, Sony Interacttive Entertainmentt CEO, said 'Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, INCLUDING RIVAL CONSOLES'. You have the link above, in the post you quoted.

So no, when they said multiplatform they also meant rival consoles like Xbox. And they are also working to Destiny 2 to Switch via cloud gaming btw.

Wish one of them was destiny 3 before they got ok with gutting content you paid for out. Funny I can still play D1 but can’t play d2….
Bungie said they plan to continue releasing Destiny stuff until 2024 and that plan to release "at least one" new IP before 2025.

So I assume they'll stop adding new stuff to Destiny 2 in 2024 (unless they decide to continue forward), will release one new IP in 2024 and anoher new IP in maybe 2024 or 2025.

They are also start to work on movies stuff with Sony, so I assume they'll release a Destiny movie or tv series and also the same for these new IPs. But it will take a while, so probably Destiny 2 will be pretty much done once they release them.

So unless at least one of these new IPs is set in the Destiny universe, I assume they'll make Destiny 3 or at least a smaller Destiny game to release itt next to the Destiny movies/tv series/etc.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
No.

To be clear, I'll repeat it again highlighting the important part: Jim Ryan, Sony Interacttive Entertainmentt CEO, said 'Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, INCLUDING RIVAL CONSOLES'. You have the link above, in the post you quoted.

So no, when they said multiplatform they also meant rival consoles like Xbox. And they are also working to Destiny 2 to Switch via cloud gaming btw.
It can mean whatever they want it to mean. Same as Spencer talking about CoD etc. It could mean Stadia ffs. It could mean Switch only. Until these new IPs are released, these press releases are of limited worth.

yurinka

It can mean whatever they want it to mean. Same as Spencer talking about CoD etc. It could mean Stadia ffs. It could mean Switch only. Until these new IPs are released, these press releases are of limited worth.
'Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles' only means 'Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles'.

Hezekiah

Banned
'Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles' only means 'Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue to be published on other platforms, including rival consoles'.
You've just repeated what you posted earlier, and it doesn't change anything over and above what I said. Stadia is a console therefore, a competitor. Nowhere have they said 'all rival consoles', or mentioned specific platforms.

And the above is a press release. Nothing legally binding there.

My guess is that sooner or later Microsoft take CoD off Playstation, and Sony responds in kind with the next Destiny and future Bungie IPs.

People are getting stuck on the “multiplatform” thing. Multiplatform doesn’t really have to include xbox. We’ve heard Jim ryan saying that playstation is going multiplatform also, we know by that he means mobile and pc.

Im sure Bungie doesn’t care if they don’t have to develop for another console.

coffinbirth

People are getting stuck on the “multiplatform” thing. Multiplatform doesn’t really have to include xbox. We’ve heard Jim ryan saying that playstation is going multiplatform also, we know by that he means mobile and pc.

“WE WANT THE WORLDS WE ARE CREATING TO EXTEND TO ANYWHERE PEOPLE PLAY GAMES”

I want to play Destiny 3 really bad. I bet this "Matter" is a zany 3rd person hero shooter GAAS thats going to be super popular.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Still in the denial phase I see 😂
You must be desperate for CoD to become exclusive.

Unlike you though I'm a multiplatform gamer so I'll be playing everything regardless. I don't need to ask mummy and daddy to buy me a PS5.

yurinka

Bungie said Destiny 2 and their future games will continue being multiplatform. Jim Ryan said Destiny 2 and future Bungie games will continue being multiplatform including rival consoles. This includes Xbox.

SIE now owns two publishers: PS Studios and Bungie. Their plan for Bungie is muliplatform including Xbox. Their plan for PS Studios is PS exclusive with some of their games being ported to PC years later of their original release on PS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom