• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie says ‘notable number of PS5 players are playing the PS4 version of Destiny 2 on their current-generation console’

Shifty1897

It is surprising that Sony hasn't copied Microsoft's Smart Delivery system. It seems like a relatively simple code change to check if a PS5 version is available and download that version instead.

Skifi28

This is a Sony problem. If you're on the PS5 and you access the PS Store you should only be able to download PS5 versions of the game. If there is no PS5 version, then obviously you should be able to download PS4. They made it super confusing.
"super confusing". Yeah, there are two versions one labeled PS4 and one labeled PS5. One needs a math degree to sort this mess out.

On a more serious note, you should be able to download the version you like, you shouldn't be locked to a specific version if there are two available. It's not worth losing the option for the people that have 2 brain cells. They wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, let them be happy in their ignorance.

Last edited:
Sadly it is not. I believe it is the same for other PS5 disc games. Insert the PS5 disc version of the game. I get 2 downloads. I delete the PS4 version. Play the game. Eject the disc to play something else. Insert the disc again to play the game. The PS4 version pop up as a download that I had to delete again. Every time. Again, it is just bizarre that this hasn’t been patched, unless it is something weird related to my country store that make it does that even though I don’t have to go to the store as it is the disc version. Or maybe the country version of the disc. I just don’t know.
Naw, I'm in full agreement with you. I haven't used any disc with my PS5 yet so I've never had this issue. It does sound annoying and easily fixed.

I hate to break the bubble of some people here. But for a lot more, videogames are just mindless fun to have some escapism, release some frustration or feel they are skillful/accomplished at something.

kapshin

Sounds like Sonys fault for not having a clear cut system that gives priority to the PS5 version to install.
I have heard about this, I don't have a PS5 so if you put in a PS4 disk that has a PS5 version it doesn't prompt you?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It has now. It didn’t before.
I bought my PS5 in October/November of 2021. It was like it then. Over a year, and probably was like it before I bought it. Early on it wasn't, but it has been this way longer than the 6-8mo launch window.

Last edited:

sainraja

The system should prioritize the PS5 version for any game that has one. There are clearly two versions for many games right now so this issue will keep popping up.

I would be interested to know if the people playing the PS4 versions are fresh installs or people that just took out their HDD from the PS4 and plugged it into the PS4 and continued playing. I will check the blog to see if Bungie shares this or not. I don't think you can buy the physical copy of the game anymore so whatever the disc issue is, shouldn't apply here.

And I know people here don't like to hear this but smart delivery is a 'marketing term', however, now I get why they needed it lol, the term describes the process where the system will download the appropriate version based on device being used.

The Sony UX team has made some progress in addressing different versions but their implementation of it wasn't how I expected they'd do it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The system should prioritize the PS5 version for any game that has one. There are clearly two versions for many games right now so this issue will keep popping up.
It does. When I DLed GoWR from the phone App, it prioritizes the PS5 version and downloads that one by default.

It's been doing that for all my games that have two versions. I have to actually bypass the default and manually select the PS4 versions. Same as on the PS5, it highlights the PS5 version by default.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
"super confusing". Yeah, there are two versions one labeled PS4 and one labeled PS5. One needs a math degree to sort this mess out.

On a more serious note, you should be able to download the version you like, you shouldn't be locked to a specific version if there are two available. It's not worth losing the option for the people that have 2 brain cells. They wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, let them be happy in their ignorance.
No matter how much you insult these folks, it doesn't change the fact that PlayStation User Experience is letting them down. I'm sure you can give them an option of PS4/PS5 and I'm willing to bet there is a better way of doing it through UI/UX then what's currently available.

Umm, this is on Bungie. Shouldve had the PS5 version ready at launch so when people went to download it on PS5, the first thing they saw was the PS5 version.

And even today, instead of making a blogpost, they can easily code a few lines of code to determine if the PS4 version of the game is being launched from the PS5, and simply remind players to download the PS5 version instead. They have all the messages UI built in. I remember getting notifications and other pop-ups back when I used to play Destiny.
That's a good point I forgot it wasn't available at launch

sainraja

It does. When I DLed GoWR from the phone App, it prioritizes the PS5 version and downloads that one by default.

It's been doing that for all my games that have two versions. I have to actually bypass the default and manually select the PS4 versions.
Then I guess this D2 thing probably has to do with people who had it installed prior to the update to PS5 or are playing from their external drive or something.

Fbh

From my understanding the next gen version of Destiny 2 didn't launch with the ps5.
Isn't this just a bunch of early adopters that never got the news there was a new version and didn't bother deleting the Ps4 version and downloading the Ps5 one?

I hate to break the bubble of some people here. But for a lot more, videogames are just mindless fun to have some escapism, release some frustration or feel they are skillful/accomplished at something.

Also this.
A lot of people don't care, they got a Ps5 because they want to have "the new thing" but they don't really care about the features.
I used to work in an electronics store. We got a shocking amount of people that would come in, buy a higher end 4K TV (in the $1000+ range).....and some DVD's to go along with it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then I guess this D2 thing probably has to do with people who had it installed prior to the update to PS5 or are playing from their external drive or something.
That could be it. They need to get on that PS5 60fps train though.

From my understanding the next gen version of Destiny 2 didn't launch with the ps5.
Isn't this just a bunch of early adopters that never got the news there was a new version and didn't bother deleting the Ps4 version and downloading the Ps5 one.
That too. Destiny is a pretty casual game now that it's F2P.

Last edited:

sainraja

Umm, this is on Bungie. Shouldve had the PS5 version ready at launch so when people went to download it on PS5, the first thing they saw was the PS5 version.

And even today, instead of making a blogpost, they can easily code a few lines of code to determine if the PS4 version of the game is being launched from the PS5, and simply remind players to download the PS5 version instead. They have all the messages UI built in. I remember getting notifications and other pop-ups back when I used to play Destiny.
It's not on Bungie. They are simply noticing something and sharing that info in their blog. Perhaps the next step they take is exactly that. Remind those playing PS4 version on a PS5 that there is a PS5 version.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
This generation of consoles is basically useless. Most users cannot see a difference between this and the past generation. Demand is due simply to the age of the previous generation, and the consumer desire to have the latest thing. Nearly every game is a remake or a sequel. And finally, it’s too expensive and they cannot manufacture enough. The generation should have started in 2023.

El Muerto

I remember when i started Cyberpunk on my PS5 after the 1.5 update, for the first few hours i was playing the ps4 version and didnt realize it, and not sure why the ps4 version automatically installs on the PS5. I had to download the PS5 version from the PS Store which made no damn sense. Meanwhile on my Series X i just have to copy the game to internal storage to play the next gen version.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
we are the elite of gamers.

99.9% of people don't care about the things we care about because they have lives. I dont blame them either.

Back in the day when I just loved games the framerates, textures and pixel counting wankers like digital foundry didnt bother me one bit.
Yup. N64 was the best thing in gaming to me at one point, with its super muddy resolution/textures and slideshow frame rate. And I was happy to play them, lol.

buenoblue

I believe it. My sister's fella came round mine years ago saying my PS3 looked amazing compared to his. Turns out he was running 480p for like 3 years on a 1080p lcd 🤷‍♂️.

BbMajor7th

It's good that you have the choice of both on PS5 (was great for Elden Ring). It's not so good that there's no consistent or clear upgrade path from one to the other.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I remember getting laughed at over Xbox naming of their consoles would confuse gamers and so many people would tell me gamers are smarter than that

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Thats one thing Xbox did well is smart delivery even if that last patch for COD was 50 GB when on my PS5 it was under 1 GB :p

Freeman76

Destiny players cant afford to upgrade consoles because they spent their life savings keeping up with all the dlc they dont own anymore

yurinka

I assume these players didn't realize that there is a PS5 version, or when they downloaded it wasn't available, or installed the PS4 version thinking they were downloading the PS5 version.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And most of them are on a 1080p or even 720p TV they bought on Black Friday for $100.
Yup. 100% true.

I remember seeing articles about this. When BF or Christmas deals happen people might think everyone is saving up so they can buy that snazzy $2000 TV for $1500. Instead, it's people loading up on like $800 TVs on sale for $600.

NickFire

I want to laugh at the people who can't figure out how easily it works. The problem is that there's been countless times I haven't figured simple stuff out before someone gave me some direction. So I probably shouldn't laugh.

Anyway, if they don't already, Sony should just a simple advisory screen when two versions exist, letting people know if they are downloading the old version or playing an older version that was updated. Just don't take away people's ability to play old gen if they want. A lot of people still prefer old gen for sports games when their friends don't have current gen. And a lot of people seemed to prefer ER on old gen when it first launched. No need to take choice away.

Shakka43

This was a problem at the beginning of this gen, not now. I actually prefer Sony's option of downloading whichever version of the game you want instead of jumping through loopholes like in Xbox.

Not surprised. The average person doesn't even know how to connect a hdmi cable. They're clueless with stuff like this. Most are still playing on very old 1080p TVs too because they don't even understand resolution either. I know people like this in my family and friends circle.

Last edited:

Neilg

Its such a fucking pain with disks. I've taken to leaving my console storage full and only cleaning off enough for the ps5 version of any disk game, but still every day I get pop-ups saying 'cant install cyberpunk please free up some space' while i'm already playing it.

we are the elite of gamers.

99.9% of people don't care about the things we care about because they have lives. I dont blame them either.

Back in the day when I just loved games the framerates, textures and pixel counting wankers like digital foundry didnt bother me one bit.
Right those of us who use this site are in the minority.

Except every time i have to download a crossgen title the PS5 always asks me which version i want to install.

If people don't know the 5 comes right after 4 then maybe that's not on Sony, but it's just me.
Exactly.

You are clearly shown the two separate versions and given an opportunity to download one or the other.

JaksGhost

Your average consumer is dumb to the technology that they hold in their hands and this is no different. 9/10 don't even go into the settings menu and just hit ( X ) or ( A ) depending on their console of choice until the game starts.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Exactly.

You are clearly shown the two separate versions and given an opportunity to download one or the other.
What are you shown when you put a disc in? I have only ever put one disc in my PS5, CP2077. When I did it automatically downloaded and installed both the PS4 and PS5 versions. When I deleted the PS4 version the PS5 would automatically install it again. It was annoying. Hopefully they fxed that.

sainraja

Exactly.

Some people are bringing up the issue of inserting a PS4 disc for authentication (since they did the upgrade) and the system installing the PS4 version. This really shouldn't be happening with Destiny 2 since it's been F2P for a while with no disc version being sold. And if someone is going to argue that, then I am going to have a hard time believing the person doing the install is not aware of a PS5 version. Simply inserting the disc in will install the PS4 version and if they will launch from disc, it is going to start the PS4 version (the disc is PS4 after all). The upgrade thing also doesn't apply to Destiny 2 though so....this is all a bit strange haha. So I think people are just using the last version installed before the upgrade and never bothered to download the PS5 version. Having said all this, there is clearly room for improvement lol.

I think and could be wrong on this but what Sony expected people would do after upgrading their disc, is people would select the PS5 version from the main list. They weren't thinking about people's expectation to launch the disc and jumping into the PS5 version.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I think tommib tommib has the right idea as PS5 versions were a little rough at launch. I'm surprised Sony hasn't added a notification when launching a PS4 game that has a PS5 version available letting the user know that a native app is available.

BreakOut

Sounds like Sonys fault for not having a clear cut system that gives priority to the PS5 version to install.
It’s true, I had three friends I introduced to the game that had no idea they were running the PS4 version. Wasn’t until we got the crucible and they couldn’t find the 120 FPS setting.
Ton of friends run PS4 versions of games without knowing. They re-download the PS5 version once I’ve told them, and usually instruct them on how to do it. Hard to argue with smart delivery when I see that shit so often.

Top Bottom