• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie says it’s reduced communication with players due to ‘real threats’ towards staff

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
destiny-2-bungie-30th-anniversry-1280x720.jpg

In a reaction to a Reddit post noting that Bungie was responding to users far less frequently, one user replied: “That’s what happens when developers receive harassment and death threats over a video game.”

They added: “We’re taking them seriously, which is leading to an amount of reduced communications as the team plans future protections / strategies to help avoid these sorts of things.

“I will be very clear in saying that I appreciate the studio in the amount that’s it’s helped me personally after some serious harassment towards me and my family. I’m taking time off in part because of this. Just because you can’t see it directly in a given tweet or forum reply doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen.”

Noting that this did have an impact on the decent players who were now lacking the ability to communicate with developers, they added: “None of [this] is meant to be a punishment to the people who can leave clear and respectful feedback for our developers, mind you.

“There are no instances at Bungie where people actively look at a conversation and plan retaliatory actions towards our playerbase via hotfixes, updates, or comms strategies. Sometimes, we just need to take some time to get things straightened out.

Destiny-2-Witch-Queen-b.jpg

“Can take weeks, can take months – just like any given development pipeline, as we want what’s best for our players and our employees. That said, we can’t just move about ‘business as usual’ until things are resolved. It sucks, but we want to be sure that folks are safe and taken care of.

“I agree – it’s a bummer that we don’t have as much interaction here as of late. The team is planning ways in which to communicate with you all – some of these plans I’m really looking forward to when I get back in. I can assure you that many on the team are checking out threads each day and talking about your feedback.”

Michele

you.
Yikes... there has to be mutual respect between devs and player in order to see any kind of communication. This time it is the players' fault on that one, and I applaud Bungle for standing up to toxic people.

On a more personal note, I've been actually very apathetic about complaints because most of the times it's just players being whiners. Whining about a system, whining about balance etc. In a game server there has been mass whining because of a new PvP thing that was literally made to combat players who keep stalling and etc. And most of the time, it kinda does nothing much actually. I've learned to just accept it for what it is usually.

I hope the Bungle people are doing okay, harassment is never okay.

DaGwaphics

Players are douchebags, period. I don’t know how anyone wants to create games for such a shitty audience that pisses and moans about everything - some even sending death threats.

Grow the fuck up.

The majority of players aren't, but you have that tiny but very vocal minority of keyboard warriors that thrive on trying to get a rise out of anyone and everyone they can. Hating on things is their one true passion.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Good on them tbh. I’d probably do the same, just delete all social media accounts and stay away from that crap.

But I guess the marketing people would take issue with something like that.

pqueue

Why the threats? What has happened?
allegedly some alleged bungie employees, many allegedly female, received alleged hostile messages/responses/tweets, and Bungie/sycophants circled the wagons; coincidentally this all happened at the same time that Bungie the company started being less communicative and more douchebaggy in general, so they (Bungie) are conflating the two -the ends justifies the means. After the fact, the went about moving the cart in front of the horse.

there is no place for threatening comments. anywhere. but bungie is trying to make both the alleged threats and their response the same.

Fredrik

allegedly some alleged bungie employees, many allegedly female, received alleged hostile messages/responses/tweets, and Bungie/sycophants circled the wagons; coincidentally this all happened at the same time that Bungie the company started being less communicative and more douchebaggy in general, so they (Bungie) are conflating the two -the ends justifies the means. After the fact, the went about moving the cart in front of the horse.

there is no place for threatening comments. anywhere. but bungie is trying to make both the alleged threats and their response the same.
Sounds complicated. But at least it’s not about the acquisition. Right?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I still cant believe Bungie has wasted the last 5 years on destiny 2. FFS.

Their next game wont come out till 2025. 8 years between releases. WTF is wrong with these studios?

I stopped playing Destiny around 2018. They always had a disdain for their userbase. They just hate them. They hated implementing the most requested features months if not years after fans asked for them. Their blogposts were extremely passive aggressive and straight up condescending at one point. if Jason is to be believed than Destiny is not the game they ever wanted to make but were stuck making it for years due to the Activision deal, and its popularity. I am not surprised they are using the current batch of death threats to limit communication. They simply never liked this whole GaaS thing.

And no, Im not buying all these allegations. The destiny playerbase was never juvenile or toxic. In my time playing the game, it was mostly older adults in their 30s raising toddlers, having fun and simply having a laugh at how poorly Bungie supported DEstiny in the early years. Maybe things have changed since but I remember Bungie making a big deal about fans complaining back then as well.

due to toxic gamers dudebroing all over our forums and yikes chief we will be vaulting another 3 years of content you paid for that we dont want to support anymore

you did this to yourselves and youre welcome

Freeman76

They dont exactly treat their customers with much respect at all, but then their customers acting like cunts wont help the situation either.

Why the threats? What has happened?
The usual stuff. But they also came out and made a statement about standing by women's rights to their bodies aka the Roe v Wade thing. A lot of ppl were screaming at them on Twitter about "Just shut up and make video games" & "keep your politics out of my video games" Which is almost as dumb as "shut up and dribble" Those were just the public tweets, I'm 1000% sure the DM/primate messages were much much worse.

It's a hot button issue, no matter which way you fall you'll offend someone. I have no problem with them expressing the way that they feel on the matter, it's their choice to make it public or not. They made it public, so I am sure they have no issue with what could potentially come from it. Bungie is made up of ppl, ppl are allowed to have opinions and express them. If their opinion bothers you that much, or offends you enough, then don't buy their games. Stop supporting them.

Pejo

I agree that developers should not be directly in contact with their customers. Leave it to the PR people, stop introducing games when they're really far from being ready, stop giving random hot takes ands "hints" about stuff coming up soon, stop getting into pissing matches with random psychos on the internet.

These people are back-end people that build and make games, they are not prepared and qualified for taking on social media shit from huge fanbases. I can't think of another industry where the production staff directly talks to fans about what they're working on. Even celebrities that are high on their own farts and call their fanbase incels and random -ists are at least prepped and used to being in the public eye. Developers should develop.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

ANIMAL1975

Players are douchebags, period. I don’t know how anyone wants to create games for such a shitty audience that pisses and moans about everything - some even sending death threats.

Grow the fuck up.
Dude, what are you talking about? Aren't we all players? You can't generalize people like that, lol i never threatened any one online, nor did my son that was well educated and we play games since forever.

Maybe they shouldn’t have publicly told people they don’t want them playing their games?
Ha ha ha! Kill them all!

ManaByte is mad at bungie lol

Dynasty8

It started cause they're not planning on bringing back some Destiny 1 titan exotic. I shit you not.

Twilight Garrison. I couldn't believe someone threw a tantrum over that. Probably best if devs stay off Twitter. Reddit is usually fine.

Bungie are stunning and brave, like Brianna Wu. Never in my 30 years of online gaming (including multiple Bungie games) has anyone threatened me in any way. Or ever insulted me. Or anything. Were they to do so I would surely curl up in the fetal position and refuse to play another minute until such hate crimes were addressed.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You know its funny, because some developers don't get this. It's almost like mutual respect is required or something. Bungie have said that they don't design a change as a retaliatory action against the playerbase, but being F2P GaaS title many of the changes might as well be.

At the end of the day I see this as an issue with the type of business model they have used, how can the players respect a development team that designs a game that disrespect a player to try and drive as many to the store front as possible? It's just how it is.

ScythD

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

343i kept the lines of communication open even with the "threats" they received last year. People are just too sensitive nowadays

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty sad, maybe if some people were actually charged with uttering threats then there would less keyboard cowards.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's not like they listen to there fans anyway.

They listen to the sycophant super fans. A lot, actually. The people who run the guilds (or whatever they're called in Destiny) that chase world firsts and wildly embrace whatever shitty new mechanic Bungie comes up to make the hamster wheel, GaaS-driven psychological experiment more brutal on the player. They love those guys and make little easter eggs and minor changes for them all of the time.

Everyone else who just wants the game to be fun and full of different kinds of content like it was back in Destiny 1? Nah, Bungie doesn't give a single flying fuck about them.

As for the claims of harassment, I am sure it happens. These kinds of games tend to attract people from the fringes, the kinds of lunatics who will actually threaten a developer because they took away one of their virtual toys or made a change they didn't like.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
The majority of players aren't, but you have that tiny but very vocal minority of keyboard warriors that thrive on trying to get a rise out of anyone and everyone they can. Hating on things is their one true passion.
Charles Bukowski would beg to differ, to him most people are assholes: and the longer I'm alive, the more I agree with him.

Has harassment gotten worse over the years?

As I’m getting older I follow certain things (social media) less and less but I remember thinking it was bad 10 years ago.

Is it thin skin or just finally taking a fuck this mentality?

The recent dick pics over GoW seemed tame compared to the swatting of the past. Death threats have always been there, you’ll always get that shit no matter what you do if you’re that much of a public figure.

Ron Gilbert going silent over an art style, I don’t know anymore. With every creative endeavor you will be faced with naysayers, people who hate you for seemingly no reason, and then straight up mental cases.

Not downplaying the issue, it is terrible but is it that bad now comparatively to the past?

CamHostage

Bungie are stunning and brave, like Brianna Wu. Never in my 30 years of online gaming (including multiple Bungie games) has anyone threatened me in any way. Or ever insulted me. Or anything. Were they to do so I would surely curl up in the fetal position and refuse to play another minute until such hate crimes were addressed.

OK, that's your experience. Take it from somebody who has been doxed, though, it ain't fun.

Maybe they shouldn’t have publicly told people they don’t want them playing their games?

Come on now, ManaByte? You're somebody who should know from experience that fan shit can get dicey, no? You've been in the public for a long time, you've worked at major outlets... I've seen you beefing in Disney crowds, of all things. Surely you've had a case of people getting way too personal with you? (In fact, as you know, it's Googlable.) Maybe nothing credible has ever come at you (or somebody near you) that you took truly serious, but it's at the very least unnerving when something you (or even weirder your company) does that brings a threat to your door.

Last edited:
Video game companies should be communicating less anyway as far as I'm concerned. Why do players these days feel these companies need to be their friends? All I care about hearing from Bungie (and any dev) are game/dlc/patch announcements, trailers, and release dates. I couldn't give a shit less what they have to say about social issues and how they want to respond to every whiny complaint from reddit.

Top Bottom