• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush gets man fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRed

Banned
Not content with increasing unemployment through busted economic policies, Bush is personally taking a hand in increasing unemployment.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/21/heckler.fired.ap/index.html

Man fired for heckling Bush
Saturday, August 21, 2004 Posted: 6:17 PM EDT (2217 GMT)

CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- A man who heckled President Bush at a political rally was fired from his job at an advertising and design company for offending a client who provided tickets to the event.

The fired graphic designer said Saturday he won't try to get his job back.

"I'm mad less about losing the job -- I'm more mad about the reasons," said Glen Hiller, 35, of Berkeley Springs. "All I did was show up and voice my opinion."

Hiller was ushered out of Hedgesville High School on Tuesday after shouting his disagreement with Bush's comments about the war in Iraq and the search for weapons of mass destruction. The crowd had easily drowned out Hiller with its chant: "Four more years."

"He surrounds himself with people who support him," Hiller said of Bush. "Your opinion ... is viewed as right or wrong."

When he showed up for work at Octavo Designs of Frederick, Maryland, the following morning, he said he was told he'd embarrassed and offended a client who provided tickets to the event -- and that he was fired.

The client was a public relations worker who represents the Berkeley County school district, he said. "It's just bizarre that you disagree with them and it all turns evil," Hiller said.

Messages left with Octavo Designs were not immediately returned Saturday.

The father of two young girls had worked at the design firm for five months, doesn't plan to appeal the firing, and holds no grudge against his boss.

"To some degree I can see her point of view," Hiller said. "Advertising is all about having the perfect tan and driving a cool car. It's all about image."

Hiller said he now plans to pursue work as a registered nurse, a field in which he worked for 10 years before landing the design job.

Last month, Charleston City Council apologized to two protesters arrested for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts to the president's July 4 rally. The pair were taken from the event in restraints after revealing T-shirts with Bush's name crossed out on the front and the words "Love America, Hate Bush" on the back. Trespassing charges were ultimately dismissed.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
ok, that I can understand, if he was anti-bush he shouldnt have gone to the rally with tickets provided by a client, his actions will negativly effect their buisness. If he had gotten the tickets on his own it would be a different story, but in a way he was going to this event as a representative of his workplace.

but how in the fuck can you be arrested for wearing an anti-bush shirt. I thought we had freedom of expression in this country.

impirius

Azih said:
Not to get fired for heckling a politician?
The thing is, he was a guest of one of his company's clients. If he was there on his own, it'd be completely different.

It looks like he was fired for being disrespectful to a client, not for his political views.

EDIT: And yeah, that thing at the end of the article is just ridiculous.

Tenguman

Eh it's not like Bush said "have that man fired". He offended the customer, and got fired. As far as I know, if I piss off a customer I can be easily fired too.

Drexon

Banned
but how in the fuck can you be arrested for wearing an anti-bush shirt. I thought we had freedom of expression in this country.
I'm sorry, the aquired law cannot be reached at this moment, please try again later.

StoOgE said:
It says they were charged with trespassing... I suppose if they were making a nuisance of themselves (which would go beyond just the shirts, but the paragraph doesn't provide much detail) and they refused to leave when asked, the landowners could have a legitimate complaint.

Gattsu25

Banned
ShadowRed said:
Bush gets man fired

Not content with increasing unemployment through busted economic policies, Bush is personally taking a hand in increasing unemployment.

I'm sorry, you must have linked to the wrong article

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Man, that's such a non-story. If you're a company guest, don't do something that's going to reflect badly on your company. End of discussion.

As for the second issue...some country bumpkins abused their power and got caught. Arrested for trespassing simply because you were an anti-Bush shirt to a rally? Guess free speech is only free if you're supporting the junta.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
http://www.local6.com/news/3549858/detail.html

This is about the people arrested for the T-shirts.. according to thier city council they were not being rowdy, and it was on public property. At least their city council apologized for it, but its really shitty that they were put in restraints over that. If I had to guess some cops are hardcore Bush supporters and overstepped thier bounds.. no matter what the case I hope the arresting officers are reprimanded.

Deg

Banned
It says there that

When he showed up for work at Octavo Designs of Frederick, Maryland, the following morning, he said he was told he'd embarrassed and offended a client who provided tickets to the event -- and that he was fired.

The client was a public relations worker who represents the Berkeley County school district, he said. "It's just bizarre that you disagree with them and it all turns evil," Hiller said.

The client was a PR worker. Abit extreme to get him fired for that. She should have made sure he liked Bush before he got the tickets. Giving out tickets like that isnt smart PR. Maybe she sold them? Maybe she couldnt be bothered? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom