• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

buying cars really sucks right now, huh?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i'm in the market for a sedan around 30kish. spent the weekend watching youtube reviews, reading stuff on reddit, etc. decided i was gonna buy an AWD kia k5. they look nice for a basic commuter car, has AWD, nice interior, and reviewed well. go to the dealership and they have the exact one i want in the color and trim package i was looking for. ok cool. i got a good deal for my old jetta on a trade in. they run my credit info and everything. then the guy walks over with a piece of paper with the financials. these sons of bitches wanted $6,000+ over msrp bringing it to $38k. then the guy says best he can do is $2500 over sticker. i just walked out after the guy was basically begging me to sign and telling me what a great deal it was. for 38k i'll buy a fucking audi or something. but is that really how it is now? everything is just thousands over sticker?

Cyberpunkd

i'm in the market for a sedan around 30kish. spent the weekend watching youtube reviews, reading stuff on reddit, etc. decided i was gonna buy an AWD kia k5. they look nice for a basic commuter car, has AWD, nice interior, and reviewed well. go to the dealership and they have the exact one i want in the color and trim package i was looking for. ok cool. i got a good deal for my old jetta on a trade in. they run my credit info and everything. then the guy walks over with a piece of paper with the financials. these sons of bitches wanted $6,000+ over msrp bringing it to $38k. then the guy says best he can do is $2500 over sticker. i just walked out after the guy was basically begging me to sign and telling me what a great deal it was. for 38k i'll buy a fucking audi or something. but is that really how it is now? everything is just thousands over sticker?
Dude, in Europe you need to wait 3 months for a fucking VW Golf. There is a massive shortage on the market.

Reallink

Desired cars in the $50-$70K range are selling for $20,000 over sticker before they even come close to a car lot, and there are people lining up 6 months in advance to pay it. What I don't understand is why the world's governments aren't jointly seizing or sanctioning the chip manufacturers to force them to return to auto chips. They're operating at or near full capacity (and have been for like a year), they're just selling the chips to Chinese junk manufacturers for shit like drones and low end tablets cause they bought out the contracts when car manufacturers shutdown at the height of Corona. Cars are a necessity to survival. Someone impoverished can't afford $20,000 for a 2002 Corolla, they can't get to work or buy food without a car, and they can't afford anything without a job.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Shit time to buy anything tbh.

I am confused by America though, I routinely hear of dealers selling vehicles above the MSRP, but I've never heard of that anywhere else, at least not here in Aus.

Last edited:

T8SC

Shit time to buy anything tbh.

I am confused by America though, I routinely hear of dealers selling vehicles above the MSRP, but I've never heard of that anywhere else, at least not here in Aus.

It's happening in the UK.

There is currently a USED VW Golf for sale, priced at £59,999. (2021 reg, 3000 on the clock)

It's OTR (On the road) price is about £40,000.

Zenaku

It's shit for building cars too.

Working as a robot tech in an automotive factory and it's total shit right now. I have fairly good job security due to my skillset but a lack of work is causing tons of layoffs, and we're bleeding talent.

The better workers, technicians and team leaders are all leaving for better things, or rather, jobs that will pay them now. Once the chip shortage eases up factories are still gonna have a hard time hitting the rise in demand.

Durien

As I mentioned in another thread I had a 2007 Xterra. We traded it in and bought a 2022 Kia Telluride and they tacked on $3k to MSRP. They can't keep the Telluride on the lot and we had to wait 6 weeks I think for ours while they built it and shipped it. With the chip shortage, it is a matter of supply and demand...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Don’t buy a Kia, all 4 close friends who did regret it.

Yeah I think I am gonna get an Accord instead.

UyBHBH3.jpeg

I like the way the Kia looks though compared to other sedans in that 30k range. Also AWD would be nice but not a dealbreaker for me. Just sucks that an Accord will probably be 5k over sticker or something stupid like that too.

Pallas

Gold Member
As someone who works in the manufacturing of automobiles, it’s definitely chip shortages, part shortages that are causing prices to go up. Normally there would be bloated inventory of vehicles, depending on make and model and dealerships would often make deals to get rid of them but auto makers aren’t making as many so the need to cut dealers and give discounts are pretty much dead right now.

You may get lucky if you search long enough though and don’t bother with used cars, a lot of them are more expensive than new cars currently.

Pejo

I'm in the same boat, OP, except I have to buy something. My engine just blew up on me last weekend, so now I'm trying to decide to get some overpriced shitty beater or something I actually want at 2-5k more than I would have spent for the same vehicle 3 years ago.

Fucking sucks.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

UyBHBH3.jpeg

I like the way the Kia looks though compared to other sedans in that 30k range. Also AWD would be nice but not a dealbreaker for me. Just sucks that an Accord will probably be 5k over sticker or something stupid like that too.
Wow I see why you went for it OP. I like how it looks too.

Mohonky

It's happening in the UK.

There is currently a USED VW Golf for sale, priced at £59,999. (2021 reg, 3000 on the clock)

It's OTR (On the road) price is about £40,000.
lol who the hell would buy a gold at $20k pounds above retail jesus.

A.Romero

That won’t help. Used cars have gone up more percentage wise than new cars. My 2016 Nissan Versa was appraised for 8K. I only spent 6k on it.

Oh shit, that's crazy.

Over here (Mexico) the used market hasn't been hit that bad. Too bad importing is a pain in the ass, otherwise it would probably be worth your time.

lem0n

The damn chip shortage has really screwed up the market. I'm impatiently waiting for things to go back to normal so I can put my order in for a new full-size Bronco. No fucking way in hell I'm paying over MSRP for one but I do want one badly.

SteadyEvo

It’s an unfortunate situation. Used cars selling for new prices makes buying new the best option. And all car dealers are liars and scumbags, I believe that’s universal and was the case before the shortage. Now it’s even worse. My advice is find something with 0 apr and rebates. And don’t buy any unnecessary insurance. Good luck

Aesius

My brother is a sales manager at a car dealership and they are making insane money right now. They are basically making up prices on the fly for new vehicles and people are paying whatever they ask. It seems unsustainable and in fact like a harbinger for a full on economic crash. Every industry is trying to cash in on actual shortages or the perception of shortages by increasing prices across the board, but eventually, very few people will be able to afford anything.

Guy Legend

K5 is a really good looking car. But good for you for walking out of that deal. Unless you really have to have a new car right now better to wait.
Pricing should not go above sticker. But that's the car dealer system for you.

Desired cars in the $50-$70K range are selling for $20,000 over sticker before they even come close to a car lot, and there are people lining up 6 months in advance to pay it. What I don't understand is why the world's governments aren't jointly seizing or sanctioning the chip manufacturers to force them to return to auto chips. They're operating at or near full capacity (and have been for like a year), they're just selling the chips to Chinese junk manufacturers for shit like drones and low end tablets cause they bought out the contracts when car manufacturers shutdown at the height of Corona. Cars are a necessity to survival. Someone impoverished can't afford $20,000 for a 2002 Corolla, they can't get to work or buy food without a car, and they can't afford anything without a job.
Auto manufacturers are partly to blame for their own situation. They pulled their orders when covid started and the simplest way to say it they lost their priority and others stayed in line or added to production.

They fucked themselves

UyBHBH3.jpeg

Honda's are bulletproof.

I owned an Integra when I was in my 20's and for 2 years before selling it I never serviced it and would routinely thrashed the ever living piss out of it. But yet it would still start up without a hitch.

I was kinda hoping something would go bang and it never did. Heard similar stories from other Honda owners. Toyota or Honda for worry free motoring.

I currently own a Lexus so I'm happy as its a fancy Toyota lol. I wanted a BMW but then my wallet gave me a look of despair and I backed out LMFAO

Last edited:

Reallink

Auto manufacturers are partly to blame for their own situation. They pulled their orders when covid started and the simplest way to say it they lost their priority and others stayed in line or added to production.

They fucked themselves

Problem is "just deserts" for the car manufacturers doesn't really affect the wealthy executives who made that decision. Even if they were fired for their buffoonery, they'd have a higher paying job within a week at some other corporation in addition to already being set for life in savings and assets. Who it really affects is the general public that had no hand in it, like the guy working a minimum wage job whose car broke down and can't even begin to afford an extra $6,000 scalper premium.

Last edited:
this is the worst time to buy a car, new or used. Just wait until next year. 99% of the dealerships have next to no inventory so they are gouging suckers like crazy.

Yes, I started looking around June and gave up shortly after. Supply sucks and no way in hell I'm paying a dealership $5k+ above what last year's model MSRP was lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bought a new Dodge Challenger at the end of August. The V6 with leather stuff (Stx Plus trim line). Retail was 37, got it for 31ish and gave me a huge amount for my trade in. Guess they are not as popular as the Mustang and Camero but I have always wanted one. Stuff is out there but yeah pickings are slim.
lvTzZFa.jpg

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Bought a new Dodge Challenger at the end of August. The V6 with leather stuff (Stx Plus trim line). Retail was 37, got it for 31ish and gave me a huge amount for my trade in. Guess they are not as popular as the Mustang and Camero but I have always wanted one. Stuff is out there but yeah pickings are slim.
lvTzZFa.jpg

Well done. Challengers look so much better than Camaros and Mustangs imo.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I got a Mazda CX30 (in Australia) late last year and seemed to have gotten a nice discount. I feel fortunate as prices are going a bit crazy.

Yeah people not being able to travel in aus has meant they put their money into other things like Graphic cards and Cars
i am looking to get a Golf R next year but prepared to wait about 6-9 months to get it due to the fuckery going on with prices

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
lvTzZFa.jpg

Nice! I love the Challenger, got a Shaker edition one myself.

x4TZ5vW.jpg

Its a shitty time to buy a new car.
Its a shitty time to buy a used car.
its a shitty time to buy game systems,
its a shitty time to buy a videocards
its a shitty time to buy a home,
It is, however, not a shitty time to buy stonks and crypto!

I would not try to buy any significant monetary value item right now. It's just not a good idea when everything seemingly is in shortage. If you can wait until 2022 to buy anything expensive, you should really wait.

Last edited:

Ellery

Yes. The problem is money is cheap and inflation is eating us alive. Furthermore we are entering a market environment for employees which means that wages are drastically increasing throughout the board. Most of my mates make 40-50% more money than they used to in 2019. They don't even care if they pay 1800$ for a graphics card when they used to pay 500$ for a graphics card 4-5 years ago.
You can easily borrow money at basically no cost and you actually pay back less than you borrowed (in terms of purchasing power) if you factor in inflation. So yeah money is dirt cheap. Everyone has money and our greed and printing has devalued it so much that people are throwing money at everything they possibly can, because we are living on the promise of paying back in the future effectively borrowing happiness from our future self or future generations while constantly being bombarded with how fucked the planet is and rising temperatures/sea levels and all other kinds of looming catastrophes.
And those things are a self fulfilling prophecy, because we want the instant gratification now before it is too late and because we buy and want it now and that leads to everything rising in value (read: cost) and at the end of the day it is not that we allow things to be more expensive, but we collectively agree that our fiat money is worth less.

It is, however, not a shitty time to buy stonks and crypto!

I would not try to buy any significant monetary value item right now. It's just not a good idea when everything seemingly is in shortage. If you can wait until 2022 to buy anything expensive, you should really wait.

Saving this post for later. Not because I think you are wrong (I honestly have no idea), but it will be interesting to see where stocks and crypto go for the next 12-18 months.

Woffls

Thought the UK used market wasn't too bad when I was looking a couple of months ago. Probably has more impact on the new market, where people are less sensitive to price fluctuations due to finance deals?

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a BMW 430d (2014, alpine white, 55k miles, stage 1 remap, M sport, 20" diamond cut alloys, carbon trim :messenger_ok: ) from my uncle and avoid all this nonsense.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
lvTzZFa.jpg
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Top Bottom