• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

buying cars really sucks right now, huh?

shamo42

It's similar for bicycles. Some of the 2022 gravel bikes are already unavailable (online and local dealers). If you're lucky they get one or two and you have to wait for 3-6 months. 2021 models are all sold out BTW.

I'd understand if it were e-bikes. But regular bikes? Are people trying to get healthier after covid?

Aesius

I don't think it's long before all manufacturers mimic Tesla with direct sales and ditch the rip off middle men.
It won’t happen for a long time because of NADA. Too strong. But dealerships will probably start cutting staff because more and more sales will be done online and there will be less lot inventory, which means fewer test drives. Also, if haggling goes away, that’s even less need for sales people.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Appliances are getting hit too. My washing machine broke down (essentially melted, unrepairable) and wanted to buy a high end machine from a top german manufacturer. Had to wait 5 weeks for delivery and the thing was 300€ more than last year.

And when the supply crisis ends, mark my words, prices will NOT go down, manufacturers will just get better margins.

Shit's fucked up.

Havoc2049

I was getting some maintenance done on my car at a new car dealership the other day and it was dead. It was me and like four other people waiting for our cars. They only had two plain NPC new cars in the large showroom and around 20 used cars in the front lot. I never saw one salesperson walking around the whole time I was there. It was so quite I could hear the managers phone conversation in his office, because he left the door open.

gimmmick

I bought in March right before it started getting bad, but not before transporters were slammed. I ended up flying across the country and driving it back. Dodged a bullet through sheer luck.

My wife was in the market to purchase a car and right before she left for Colombia. She asked if we should purchase the car even though she was leaving for a month to get our wedding planed out (got married at the end of March). Went to the dealership and purchased a 2019 Honda CRV with 21k for 24k OTD. This was back in late Feb May I might add of this year. I feel like we dodged a huge bullet.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Got my MX-5 directly before prices were affected by the chips meltdown, felt like
Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

Hardensoul

I was very fortunate to get my Tesla Model 3 LR, ordered June 14 and delivery August 28. I thought that was an excruciatingly long wait. But after that there was a price increase and new orders seem to be into Feb/March for deliveries.

Fools idol

Banned
I was very fortunate to get my Tesla Model 3 LR, ordered June 14 and delivery August 28. I thought that was an excruciatingly long wait. But after that there was a price increase and new orders seem to be into Feb/March for deliveries.

Tesla's were hard to get purely from a demand standpoint even before all this mess with supply made it worse.

Hopefully once the new factories in berlin and texas open up later this year the transition to electric will speed up dramatically. I'm sick and tired of the awful air pollution / smell in the city. This change cant come soon enough and I say that as a hardcore petrol head, lol

Tesla's were hard to get purely from a demand standpoint even before all this mess with supply made it worse.

Hopefully once the new factories in berlin and texas open up later this year the transition to electric will speed up dramatically. I'm sick and tired of the awful air pollution / smell in the city. This change cant come soon enough and I say that as a hardcore petrol head, lol
How are people going to afford those. Only rich people like some on this thread can afford. Regular people who can barely afford a new car at $20k are screwed. Which is most of the country. Also how would they be charged. Gas doesn't smell that bad, just move out of a smelly city and into the burbs or country.

Hardensoul

I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist, I needed a new car. Honestly I wasn't interested in electric Cars and never heard about Tesla until last year with the Cyber Truck hoopla. Even that I had my mind set on Subaru WRX, I have/had Subaru Impreza and Audi A4 both all wheel drive Cars.

What got me interested in a Tesla was when I got to Test drive a Model 3. That made up my mind and I did a lot of research quickly and week later I put in my order. Went with Model 3 LR with Dual Motor. I love handling of all wheel drive cars. The Model 3 LR was a no brainer to me.

I do not miss gas stations lol, especially now that prices keep rising. I still have my Audi A4 that I kept to fix up and as 2nd car but I'm having so much fun driving the Tesla, it's just sitting in the drive way.... But tiny a bit of me still miss driving manuals which my Subaru/Audi were both manuals. For awhile I have the tendency to hit the brake as a replacement for the clutch...smh

Aesius

Appliances are getting hit too. My washing machine broke down (essentially melted, unrepairable) and wanted to buy a high end machine from a top german manufacturer. Had to wait 5 weeks for delivery and the thing was 300€ more than last year.

And when the supply crisis ends, mark my words, prices will NOT go down, manufacturers will just get better margins.

Shit's fucked up.
Nah, prices will eventually drop/normalize. Because companies in various industries will start to recognize that they can break away from the rest of the pack by offering lower prices than everyone else once their costs are relatively back to normal. Someone will blink, capture a huge segment of the market that was previously sitting things out, and then it will be a domino effect.

It's similar for bicycles. Some of the 2022 gravel bikes are already unavailable (online and local dealers). If you're lucky they get one or two and you have to wait for 3-6 months. 2021 models are all sold out BTW.

I'd understand if it were e-bikes. But regular bikes? Are people trying to get healthier after covid?
My MTB cost about $2500 for the 2018 model. Currently, the same model in this year's "aka last season"s version is over $3500. There are some minor upgrades, but not a lot. I watched a 11-12 year old parents' at my bike shop in Boulder drop $4200 on a bike for a kid JUST BEFORE HIS GROWTH SPURT, because they didn't have cheaper options available.

One of my friends' company is spending over 20k / shipping container right now; that's where the expenses are coming from, in addition to supply chain issues.

Last edited:

wipeout364

If you are willing to wait for delivery you may be able to buy at the price on the website. I bought my 2021 4Runner that way. They had used ones on the lot that were more expensive than the new ones. I asked to look over what they had arriving in the next few months and placed a deposit on one. I had to wait two months though.

in answer to your original statement yes buying cars does suck. Also you were right to walk out.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I bought my car just before the pandemic hit and now it's valued more than I paid for it. Kind of tempting to upgrade, but I know I won't get a good deal right now.

Top Bottom