• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying PS classics games with PS Plus basic

Hello Gaffers, I ask for your help! I am subscribed to the PlayStation Plus basic service and would like to purchase a couple of "PSX/PSP classics" such as Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer 2 for use on PS4/PS5. However, when I open the "product sheet" of both games, the store (both web and app) does not allow me to purchase them, but asks/recommends me to upgrade to PS Plus. Is there any way to buy these games or are they only used with the "PS Plus upgrade"?
Thank you all.

Bojji

I don't think you can buy any of those games. There are only part of Premium/Deluxe subscription.

Edit: you can buy classics, just checked PS5 store.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think there's a way but the games need to be available in the PS3 store and you gotta buy them there first. I could be completely wrong too. I know a lot of people were asking this when RE became available on PS4/5.

That's all I can offer.

I thought they were all available to buy in the PSN store. I've seen the PS1 classics for sale just like any other game. I don't use the web or app stores though, just in the store via my PS5.

Unknown?

I was able to purchase Syphon Filter and Legend of Dragoon without the premium subscription. There's got to be a way.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I got a PlayStation mini with retroboot for better emulation. RR4 all day baby without the horrible bilinear filtering . Looks just like running on a real PlayStation.

AGRacing

Hello Gaffers, I ask for your help! I am subscribed to the PlayStation Plus basic service and would like to purchase a couple of "PSX/PSP classics" such as Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer 2 for use on PS4/PS5. However, when I open the "product sheet" of both games, the store (both web and app) does not allow me to purchase them, but asks/recommends me to upgrade to PS Plus. Is there any way to buy these games or are they only used with the "PS Plus upgrade"?
Thank you all.
Sony did say at some point if you owned it on PS3 you'd have it .... But then they double crossed us and made some game "unavailable to buy" so that they didn't need to do that. I own R4. I can't play it unless I'm a Premium subscriber.

Sony being Sony.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Sony did say at some point if you owned it on PS3 you'd have it .... But then they double crossed us and made some game "unavailable to buy" so that they didn't need to do that. I own R4. I can't play it unless I'm a Premium subscriber.

Sony being Sony.
this is more likely on the publisher (Namco) than Sony

Zuzu

It seems that some PSone classics are available for purchase (e.g. Ape Escape 1) but some are only available via the highest tier of PS Plus (like the 2 Ridge Racer classics) and cannot be purchased outright.

Last edited:
Thank you all. Actually some classics are buyable on the store, some are not, they are only playable with extra plus subscriptions. Okay, okay, I'll go back and play them on PS Vita then....

Top Bottom