• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying the Yearly COD Releases

Celcius

°Temp. member
During the ps3/x360 generation I bought COD Modern Warfare 2. It was amazing and I put hundreds of hours into it. Other COD games came out like MW3, Black Ops, etc... but I just stuck with MW2 and had tons of fun.
This generation I find myself in a similar situation... I bought COD Black Ops Cold War at launch and the game is great. They've release a ton of updates, new maps, etc... and I've put 150+ hours into it and really enjoy it. However, this fall the new Modern Warfare 2 comes out and I'm wondering why I should upgrade. I skipped Vanguard because I'm not into the WW1/WW2 stuff (though I did briefly play the beta to try it out). The new game (MW2 2022) will have new maps and weapons in addition to lots of players sure, but Cold War already has tons of great maps, weapons, and a large player base. I don't care about single player campaigns in COD and always skip straight to the multiplayer. The new game being on Steam is a plus in my book but Battle.net is fine and I have no issues with it.

So my question is... why should I upgrade? Is anyone else in the same boat or do y'all plan to jump into the new COD? Just looking for opinions...

VN1X

Banned
During the ps3/x360 generation I bought COD Modern Warfare 2. It was amazing and I put hundreds of hours into it. Other COD games came out like MW3, Black Ops, etc... but I just stuck with MW2 and had tons of fun.
This generation I find myself in a similar situation... I bought COD Black Ops Cold War at launch and the game is great. They've release a ton of updates, new maps, etc... and I've put 150+ hours into it and really enjoy it. However, this fall the new Modern Warfare 2 comes out and I'm wondering why I should upgrade. I skipped Vanguard because I'm not into the WW1/WW2 stuff (though I did briefly play the beta to try it out). The new game (MW2 2022) will have new maps and weapons in addition to lots of players sure, but Cold War already has tons of great maps, weapons, and a large player base. I don't care about single player campaigns in COD and always skip straight to the multiplayer. The new game being on Steam is a plus in my book but Battle.net is fine and I have no issues with it.

So my question is... why should I upgrade? Is anyone else in the same boat or do y'all plan to jump into the new COD? Just looking for opinions...
Tell me you think CoD is just like FIFA without telling me you think CoD is just like FIFA.

My god, man. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jaybe

You got some time before making that call. It’s on Infinity Ward to deliver an amazing game and Activision to sell you on it. One point in favour of it is, they will skip 2023 so it should benefit from support and a strong player population. A risk is that it seems some of these multiplayer games made during Covid have come out feature-poor or buggy, and hard to say how CODMW2 will land. If you aren’t fussed about Day 1, best to wait for a month of impressions.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The only COD I played was I believe the one that exploded the series. I remember hating it at first because it was so fast compared to MOH and BF at the time (I know there's a name for that "speed" in getting killed but I can't think of it), but then once you get acclimated to that speed it becomes really fun. That was 15 years ago. I look at COD today and it looks like it plays exactly the same. Which is wild given that they are able to have yearly releases.

. . .so to your question: no. Move on until they give you a product that respects your need for an actual new experience (and not just paying a yearly fee to play their game).

If you like the series and gameplay you upgrade for new maps and slightly different gameplay. There are ones you should not get like VG but in general I get more value out of COD than 98% of the games out there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t play COD much anymore. Burned out. I played it a ton during 360 and some of the last gen games.

It’s just so same. Most of the perks and kill streaks are the same too with negligible differences per year. All they do for 90% of them is adjust the pts needed or flip flop one perk to another tier.

Also, they really made the maps really rat mazy with a focus on SMG. Where SMGs got a major boost in accuracy. The older games you had to be close to kill with them well. There is no way you could kill from range with MP5, Thompson, P90 or MP40. Now you can use them at range not much different than an AR. The older games had such good maps where any play style could work from run and gun to sniper to close quarters shotgunner or knifer.

MW3 was when it really started to skew to this. And it’s been like this since.

TheGecko

Banned
I feel like I’m the only one who buys these games yearly for the campaigns.

They’re great and so underrated. Seriously, it’s good to have 5-6 hour campaigns of good fun, especially at a time where games are becoming longer and longer with quantity over quality.

Can’t wait for MW2’s!
I loved Ghost and it’s campaign, also really enjoyed Infinite warfares campaign too.

ToadMan

Normally I get the IW CODs but the gameplay demo for this seemed a bit bland this time round - that was SP only though… I’ll probably still get it unless it clashes with some other big release that’s more interesting.

It’d be an easier decision if MS put their hands in their pocket and got this on GP to make up for their lack of Christmas content though…

Seems like that’s not gonna happen so I’ll wait to see a bit more of what IW are offering before finally deciding.

The beta is out on PS before so there’ll be some opinions and footage before the official release to guide a decision.

TheGecko

Banned

MW2 is like a £100 an hour hooker where as MW3 is like doing a line to get ready for your hooker and then your mom turns up, it’s still exciting but it’s just not the same.

Cryio

I'm only shocked / impressed that since 2019, CoD hasn't been cracked. Outstanding DRM measures or something.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I played my first COD yesterday with WW2 one. How can people playing these kind of games not develop PTSD? I was so stressed afterwards that I don't think I'll play again.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I felt like the same with MW19.

I used to buy cod annually because let's face it cod multiplayer has no real competitiom.

However, MW19 felt so perfect to me that getting all my content reset pissed me off and I would rather buy annual content for that than getting a new cod.

Haven't bought cod since, and has instead started playing cod mwr on my xbox, which still has plenty of players.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I felt like the same with MW19.

I used to buy cod annually because let's face it cod multiplayer has no real competitiom.

However, MW19 felt so perfect to me that getting all my content reset pissed me off and I would rather buy annual content for that than getting a new cod.

Haven't bought cod since, and has instead started playing cod mwr on my xbox, which still has plenty of players.
Yep that really annoys me too... when a new COD comes out and then they just wipe all of your progress

R6Rider

Gold Member

They’re great and so underrated. Seriously, it’s good to have 5-6 hour campaigns of good fun, especially at a time where games are becoming longer and longer with quantity over quality.

Can’t wait for MW2’s!
I've always wished they sold the campaigns for like 10 bucks separately.

I buy them every year because I know that I'm basically guaranteed to have 5-8 hours of super dumb fun in the campaign. I'll usually hit the max level in MP at least once too. It's junk food gaming and I love it.

I also get why people don't enjoy them and that's fine.

Edit: To answer your question. It's the same game every year basically with a different skin. If you're into very incremental upgrades and want to play a new campaign with some new maps, get it. You know exactly what you're getting with Call of Duty.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

I don’t play COD much anymore. Burned out. I played it a ton during 360 and some of the last gen games.

It’s just so same. Most of the perks and kill streaks are the same too with negligible differences per year. All they do for 90% of them is adjust the pts needed or flip flop one perk to another tier.

Also, they really made the maps really rat mazy with a focus on SMG. Where SMGs got a major boost in accuracy. The older games you had to be close to kill with them well. There is no way you could kill from range with MP5, Thompson, P90 or MP40. Now you can use them at range not much different than an AR. The older games had such good maps where any play style could work from run and gun to sniper to close quarters shotgunner or knifer.

100% agree with this. I was in the same boat as the OP, sunk a load of hours into MW2, skipped Black Ops, and then found MW3 was just a run and gun shitfest. Never been the same since as far as I'm concerned and killed me off as a COD player.

ZywyPL

Banned

Can’t wait for MW2’s!

CoD is the game that makes me wish we could buy seperate modes for 20-25$ instead of the whole 70$ package, I don't care about MP those days but those yearly campaigns are truly awesome.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I remember in the UK supermarkets (like your wall mart) would compete to get the lowest price on the new COD releases, I went to Sainsbury's (a uk supermarket) on launch day at like 7am and got modern warfare 2 for £27. I dont think Ive purcahse a COD game at launch since. Warzone has given me the cod hit.

anthraticus

Banned
I was done with it after World at War, but only really enjoyed 1 & 2. And 2 needed that matador mod.

Last edited:

MikeM

Can’t wait for MW2’s!
Not the only one. I platinumed a few CODs because the gameplay was so damn good.

Back to OP- I’m really enjoying my time with COD CW. Its really matured into a good, fun MP game with a solid campaign.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Can’t wait for MW2’s!
I really wish they would split the campaign and MP into separate purchases but then again why would they when I too buy every year for the campaigns and just dabble in the MP which has been trash lately

And also can't wait for MW2

Top Bottom