• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars by 2035

dr_octagon

Banned
I look forward to exciting EV car chases in movies, the brrrr, whrrrrr and zippp of the motors.

like a boss sunglasses GIF by Toyota México

Last edited:

squallheart

Agreed. EVs are not the answer.

Serious question, but does anybody know why hydrogen cars never caught on? They seem to be a great alternative to petrol and EV. Why aren't manufacturers making more hydrogen cars?
I remember finding out about those cars last year, seemed interesting.

Crayon

This is a relatively easy problem to solve, especially once it becomes an issue of significance. There's money to be made in EV battery refurbs.

I said poor people aren't going to be able to afford to keep these things on the road and you tell me there's good money in refurbishing batteries. A Tesla refurb seems to be around $10k? Maybe I'm wrong I just googled it. I'm not seeing how that solves my concern. If you can get a refurbished battery for $3000 or less then maybe. Im not sure how it's done or how much it could come down. And I'll be skeptical of any promises.

I cannot wait to see what they charge at our future charging stations. I'ma take a wild guess. Universities and business parks will have rows of beautiful solar shaded charging stations. When you get shooed away from those and you don't own a home, you'll have to go to a Chevron station where the charging is priced 'competitvely' with gas because 'convenience'.

This whole this is so silicon valley.

dr_octagon

Banned
There should be swappable batteries, authorised mechanics and garages to support repairs or fixes.

Even with high reliability, it is locked away and the convenience and cheaper costs of traditional cars is not the same for EVs yet.

It's fine for people who have the money, just buy another car but not everyone else.

Last edited:

daffyduck

I cannot wait to see what they charge at our future charging stations. I'ma take a wild guess. Universities and business parks will have rows of beautiful solar shaded charging stations. When you get shooed away from those and you don't own a home, you'll have to go to a Chevron station where the charging is priced 'competitvely' with gas because 'convenience'.

The unis and business parks will probably not be priced much better, to those that are allowed to use them.

And mind the price of electricity in the first place. Just like gas, any excuse to raise prices. And even slower to lower them (edit: than gas).

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I said poor people aren't going to be able to afford to keep these things on the road and you tell me there's good money in refurbishing batteries. A Tesla refurb seems to be around $10k? Maybe I'm wrong I just googled it. I'm not seeing how that solves my concern. If you can get a refurbished battery for $3000 or less then maybe. Im not sure how it's done or how much it could come down. And I'll be skeptical of any promises.

The end goal is to have economies of scale kick in before the shift becomes permanent. This means people finding cheaper and more efficient ways to extend the life of car batteries, or refurbish them. There's no real reason buying a used EV should be any more costly or difficult than buying a used petrol car. The material cost isn't the leading factor in the price consumers pay. Supply and demand should factor in the same as they do now, and you'll find EVs that are at all levels of the consumer scale. There should be offerings for lower, middle, and upper class earners. Anyone who can't afford an EV in 2035, probably can't afford a petrol car now.

I think it's a bit shortsighted to look at the state of the EV market now, and assume that is the kind of situation California is pushing its citizens towards. I think where any sensible legislator will want consumers to end up is in a situation the same or better than what we have now with petrol cars. The infrastructure isn't there yet, but that's why they set a target of 2035. That is plenty of time to get the pieces in place to make this work.

As peak oil continues to loom on the horizon, there is very little economic argument for sticking with gas cars, that isn't focused solely on the near-term. Long-term and sustainable solutions have to be via the EV market.

Blade2.0

How about pass laws that:
1. Ban private commuter planes
2. Ban private commuter helicopters
3. Ban cruise ships entirely
4. Heavily tax companies that force office workers to commute to work that can be done at home
5. Tax cars based on weight so we can actually use the Laws of Physics properly and not stick a giant ass lithium battery in a fucking F150 that will be used 2-3 times a year as an actual truck if that.

When they do all of those things I will finally believe that global warming is a serious threat.

Edit: Forgot the most obvious thing, whever a bald fucker shoots himself into space for no fucking reason at all we shoot the fucker down with a missile.
climate change is a serious threat whether you believe in it or not, but i do agree this won't solve the bigger issues concerned with it. It will help, but USA needs to get off its reliance on personal vehicles anyways and we need to actually start building up our public transit. Not only will it help the environment more, but it will also reduce traffic. It's dumb as hell that the 7million+ city i lived in in China had less traffic than the 400k-ish city I live in Alabama. But at the same time the Mass transit is garbage here in bama. my 15 minute commute would be 1 hour and 30 minutes on transit. It's bloody insane.

Lady Jane

Banned
The end goal is to have economies of scale kick in before the shift becomes permanent. This means people finding cheaper and more efficient ways to extend the life of car batteries, or refurbish them. There's no real reason buying a used EV should be any more costly or difficult than buying a used petrol car. The material cost isn't the leading factor in the price consumers pay. Supply and demand should factor in the same as they do now, and you'll find EVs that are at all levels of the consumer scale. There should be offerings for lower, middle, and upper class earners. Anyone who can't afford an EV in 2035, probably can't afford a petrol car now.

I think it's a bit shortsighted to look at the state of the EV market now, and assume that is the kind of situation California is pushing its citizens towards. I think where any sensible legislator will want consumers to end up is in a situation the same or better than what we have now with petrol cars. The infrastructure isn't there yet, but that's why they set a target of 2035. That is plenty of time to get the pieces in place to make this work.

As peak oil continues to loom on the horizon, there is very little economic argument for sticking with gas cars, that isn't focused solely on the near-term. Long-term and sustainable solutions have to be via the EV market.

Infrastructure and new vehicle price for personal EV's isn't the primary issue, it's cost of repair and resell value and that's going to remain an issue in the foreseeable future.

The long-term solution is public EV transportation, not personal vehicles. Gas vehicles are here to stay for decades more at least. There is a possibility that by time gas vehicles are out of the norm, public transportation has caught up. People/families who move from personal gas vehicles to EV public transportation is a winning combo. Currently, personal EV vehicles is not a good route for a citizen to take when that money pit can be avoided all together.

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member
The big problem for me is charging time. For the final version, they really need a One In - One Out model:

Make batteries standardized and interchangeable (like AA's, AAA's etc).

When you go to the station you eject your battery for recharging and get one that's already charged.

Sure the station has to store the batteries while charging them: they can use the space where the underground petrol tanks used to be.

fifthelement379.jpg

I know, I know, this will never happen :(

Crayon

btw if you don't know california, here's a little picture: We've spent a lot of money over many years trying to build a high speed train from sf to la and have got basically nothing done. The majority of people want to help the environment but we're just too stupid here. Halp.

AdventurousAnchoredGrasshopper-size_restricted.gif

Blade2.0

btw if you don't know california, here's a little picture: We've spent a lot of money over many years trying to build a high speed train from sf to la and have got basically nothing done. The majority of people want to help the environment but we're just too stupid here. Halp.

it's not about being stupid, it's about monied interests. everyone has to get paid at every bloody step. it's why it'll never be finished. profit motive rules all here and it doesn't matter how good something will be for this country if it doesn't generate a profit.

Last edited:

gatti-man

These policies all passed un ironically by politicians that have zero plans to be there in 12 years. This will just get pushed back into oblivion when reality shows we can’t do it by then.

ahtlas7

When was this?
I don't like Tesla (ugly, fat plain cars), but their resale values are generally pretty good.
A $30K hit on a $110K car that you sold to a dealership is actually not bad if this was pre-COVID. Post COVID, the resale values are higher. You'll also always get more private sale.
Sold June 2019. I disagree with the value assessment, even the dealer knew they were low balling me but they admitted to not knowing what they would get out of it and ultimately they gave me the best offer. Unfortunately I just didn’t have time to find a private buyer.
Last week I sold a 1 year 16k mile Toyota Venza Hybrid to a dealer at the cost of $6k!

Sabotage

The car dealerships will just move to the Nevada side of the border.
Its like how you just go to Mexico to get all the fireworks California bans...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Public transit is a part of the solution bit the real solution is completely redoing America's infrastructure so people aren't forced to take a 1 ton giant metal box everywhere they go.
Look at tokyo, Amsterdam, pretty much most European cities. People actually walk to places, ride bikes, use the damn legs we were given at birth...That's how we save the environment, not dumbass electric vehicles.
Then again, if you live in California that's your fucking fault for choosing the 2nd worst us state to live in

Nester99

Have you seen truck prices?

Maybe they are cheaper where you are but here in Texas a new truck that is lifted with all the bells and whistles is 75k+ regularly. Less if you go used maybe. 6 figures if you want the highest end examples. Add that to your price at the pump for driving a 10mpg monstrosity?

Bankrupt is obviously an exaggeration, but you get my point lol

The new F150 gets 19mpg city and 24 MPG highway,

You can get a f150 v6 that does 22city and 30 highway in 2wd

Engine efficiency in the last 10 years has improved dramatically, better than most 10 year old cars.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Sold June 2019. I disagree with the value assessment, even the dealer knew they were low balling me but they admitted to not knowing what they would get out of it and ultimately they gave me the best offer. Unfortunately I just didn’t have time to find a private buyer.
Last week I sold a 1 year 16k mile Toyota Venza Hybrid to a dealer at the cost of $6k!
The used car market is much stronger now post COVID than it was in 2019 (although it is starting to soften again). Its an apples to oranges comparison. Honestly, you likely could have done better by about 10-15k. Tesla's hold their values decently well. I suspect you got low balled because were desperate to sell due your time constraints and took the dealer at their word (they have a very good idea how much they can sell your car for). But all-in-all 72% of your MSRP on a 2 year old car sold to a dealership is pretty standard pre-COVID, just low for the car you were trading in:

The Tesla Model S was at 36.3 percent and the Model X lost 33.9 percent, which also beat the average depreciation for all cars (both EVs and internal-combustion vehicles) coming off three-year leases this year, which was 39.1 percent. For trucks it was 34.3 percent, and for SUVs it was 39.7 percent.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33935142/tesla-model-3-depreciate-electric-car/

I'm also not sure what to think about your Venza comment. Do you feel that's a good deal? It seems OK, but its not uncommon for people in this market to get more for their used cars than what they paid for originally.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The new F150 gets 19mpg city and 24 MPG highway,

You can get a f150 v6 that does 22city and 30 highway in 2wd

Engine efficiency in the last 10 years has improved dramatically, better than most 10 year old cars.

You think those lifted monster trucks are getting that kind of mileage? Because that was what I was talking about.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
“The state” huh?

One benefit of the F-150 Lightning is you can power a house with it during blackouts…you know, like the one that happened in Texas not too long ago causing everyone’s pipes to freeze, and hundreds to die from either the cold or carbon monoxide poisoning trying to stay warm…

EekTheKat

The big problem for me is charging time. For the final version, they really need a One In - One Out model:

Make batteries standardized and interchangeable (like AA's, AAA's etc).

When you go to the station you eject your battery for recharging and get one that's already charged.

Sure the station has to store the batteries while charging them: they can use the space where the underground petrol tanks used to be.

fifthelement379.jpg

I know, I know, this will never happen :(

This actually sort of exists for EV's- in China and some parts of the EU. Granted it's locked to one specific brand at the moment and takes about 5 minutes best case to swap a battery (I'm not sure if there's any industry interest in wide adoption of NIO's tech).

An earlier version of this tech from what I've seen is fantastic for electric scooters that's all over the place in asia, as the batteries for electric scooters are smaller and could easily be swapped by a user. Urban areas would sometimes have this shelf full of batteries that an end user could swap themselves through a quick swipe of their phones.

“The state” huh?

One benefit of the F-150 Lightning is you can power a house with it during blackouts…you know, like the one that happened in Texas not too long ago causing everyone’s pipes to freeze, and hundreds to die from either the cold or carbon monoxide poisoning trying to stay warm…
But you can't tow with it

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
But you can't tow with it

Well you can, just half as far and without the charging infrastructure, which is why I still have a 5.7L V8 truck which burned through >$325 of gas last weekend.

But I’m not writing off electric trucks because of the limitations of the first gen or the current day infrastructure. They don’t suit my needs now, but I bet they will soon and I’ll be more than happy to switch.

Also I love that channel 👍

Last edited:

TylerD

Huge projects spanning long distances like the California High Speed Rail are more of a US problem, not just California. There is a HSR line proposed between Dallas and Houston here in Texas and I expect similar problems. It's very difficult to get these big projects done here.

I'm currently following the process and seeing some major local pushback for some much needed arterial road connections in my area as San Antonio continues to grow to help alleviate traffic. This is off a section of one of the 50 busiest roadways in Texas and it's looking very likely like they will get shutdown by personal interests and this is only maybe 1.5 miles total for 2 major connections to be built.

This will end badly. If you want people to change to a EV vehicle they need to be good enough for them to want to change.

The charging of vehicles need to be as convenient as filling up a gas vehicle
The range needs to be the same as a gas vehicle
The cost needs to be the same as a gas vehicle

If you don't make a better option it is not an option for most. Those that live in condos or apartments will not have the luxury of a charging station in a garage, and 95% of people will need a 2nd fusebox as most homes run with 200amp. You cannot just plug any full EV in a 12v socket and be happy.

Service for these vehicles are simplified but repairs are defiantly not. Car makers are making them all different and very special training and procedures are needed to be followed to diagnose and repair them.

And California can't even properly power homes never mind vehicles for everyone.

Havoc2049

The biggest obsticle will be the charging infrastructure. How many apartment, condo and townhome complexes in California are currently set up with charging stations? Each unit will need a charging station.

TheGrat1

Serious question, but does anybody know why hydrogen cars never caught on? They seem to be a great alternative to petrol and EV. Why aren't manufacturers making more hydrogen cars?
Hard to make a useful hydrogen car that is not a bomb. Even more so than one filled with gasoline.
Look at those prices lol
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Hard to make a useful hydrogen car that is not a bomb. Even more so than one filled with gasoline.
Do you know what you’re talking about? This is a genuine question, because I’m not the most educated on the topic but everything I’ve read states that is a myth.

dr_octagon

Banned

Toyota make hydrogen cars, the technology is there but probably more money in EV.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Put it this way, electricity to your home doesn't double in cost when there's a war in an oil-rich nation, or OPEC decides to close the tap. That's because the grid that will power these EVs is also transitioning away from oil. We can then blame mother nature or Ra for not providing enough wind or sunlight. But it should benefit all consumers in the long-term. In that case, it's always better to get the transition over with early.
What??????

Dude, go look at your parents power bill 'cause you CLEARLY aren't paying one.

Energy costs have gone WAAAAYYYY up and it's largely due to fluctuations in oil/natural gas from things like the war in Ukraine.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/02/22/energy-prices-surge-as-ukraine-crisis-deepens

https://thefederalist.com/2022/01/24/why-are-energy-prices-everywhere-so-high-democrats/

Top Bottom